3. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Intermediate
  2. Adept
  3. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Urban Fantasy, High Fantasy, Epic Quest, Sci-Fi, Time Travel and World Hopping, Steampunk, Action/Adventure, Modern Drama, Mystery, Slice of Life, Romance, and many more.
In this challenge, you must create an original character which is inspired by a published character, without copying them.

Please keep the following in mind while attempting this challenge. If you commit any of the following mistakes, you will not have created an original character, but will have committed a real-world crime called plagiarism.
  • An established character is recognisable even through a haircut and a wardrobe change. If your original character still has the same hobbies, temperament, vernacular, motivations, reactions, background, etc. as the published character they derive from, you haven't really CREATED anything.
  • 'To derive' is very different from 'to copy', but the differences are often missed. Put simply, one should remember to take only a few elements from the published character you wish to derive from, and fill in the blanks with unrelated material. Don't take Link's outfit and change the colours and hat, instead try taking two or three things (like the sword being on his back, the colour green, and his gauntlets) and make everything else original, and remember...
  • When deriving from a published character, one should NEVER take that character's iconic parts.
    A character derived from Harry Potter should not have any physical or material connection to voldemort.
    A character derived from Dracula should be neither a vampire or any other kind of violent criminal
    A character derived from Aragorn should not have noble lineage or incredible tracking skills.
    A character derived from Ash Ketchum should not have a single, specially bonded pokemon in particular.
This week, your challenge is to create a character inspired on

Harry Potter
words
harry-potter-pic-movie-publicity-708841040-263226.jpg
Harry-Potter-Wallpapers-14.jpg

Name: Harry James Potter
Hobbies/interests: Sports (Quiddich), Wizard's Chess, exploring the Wizarding World
Motivations: Protecting his friends, improving his skills, to honour his deceased parents
Notable character elements: Competetive, brave, rash and impulsive. He has a particular affinity for combative magic, producing a corporeal patronus at an early age. His Patronus is a stag, he has a lighting-shaped scar above his eye inflicted by the Dark Lord. He has a mental connection to the Dark Lord, who killed his parents. He is awkward around girls, and dislikes being the center of attention. His pet is a female snow owl named Hedwig, he is relatively wealthy through inheritance, but exercises moderation in his spending habits. He was raised by his cruel but not abusive aunt and uncle, who hid his wizard heritage from him.
Vernacular: monolingual, speaks modern English with a london accent. He doesn't pad his speech with uneccesary words, and he doesn't swear. He is generally respectful speaking to his elders, but may slip into a more casual vocabulary if he is distracted or loses his temper.
Character Quotes:
Fred Weasley: Gave us a right good scare, mate.
Harry: What happened?
Ron: You fell off your broom.
Harry: Really? I meant the match. Who won?

"He was their friend, and he betrayed them. He was their *friend*! I hope he finds me! Cause when he does, I'm gonna be ready. When he does, I'm gonna kill him!"

Harry Potter: Wait... look, it all sounds *great* when you say it like that. But the truth is most of that was just luck. I didn't know what I was doing half the time, I nearly always had help...
Hermione Granger: He's just being modest.
Harry Potter: No, Hermione, I'm not. Facing this stuff in real life is not like school. In school, if you make a mistake you can just try again tomorrow, but out there, when you're a second away from being murdered or watching a friend die right before your eyes... you don't know what that's like.

Name: Kyle Larner
Hobbies/interests
: fighting, drinking, spending time with friends
Motivations: showing others that he's strong (because he's insecure), making his mother proud since his father died.
Notable character elements: aggressiveness, loyalty, hotheadedness. Kyle doesn't know when to shut up, he's a fierce and loyal friend, and he hates being looked down upon. He has self esteem issues so he struggles very hard almost all of the time to keep up his facade of the "the guy". The cool guy, the guy people look up to and respect.
Vernacular: Eastern United States accent. Says what's on his mind and tries to make a lot of things sound like it was because of him, or it was his idea.
Character Quotes:
Kyle: What did you say?
Frank: I said you're a little bitch, that's what.
Kyle:Get over here and show me, tough guy. Say that to my face.

Mom: Did you get in a fight today?
Kyle:No...
Mom:Kyle!
Mom: They were making fun of Dad, okay!

I'll show them, I'll show all of them who I can be. What I can do. You heard it from me, I'll show 'em all.

Status
Not open for further replies.