5. Douche
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Futanari
  4. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy (High and Low), Sci-Fi, Modern Fantasy, Modern Realistic, Apocalypse, Drama, Romance... I have lots of interests!
Link to the Discord
Link to the world map

I have had this idea floating in my head for quite a while.

Recently, the last Iwaku WARP contest passed and I was in the middle of creating a high-fantasy world to use for it, but I didn't hit the deadline. Then I realized, maybe instead of doing something which is more sort of generic high-fantasy, I could do something with a bit more of a twist. If any of you are familiar with HBO's Westworld, imagine that in a fantasy setting rather than as a western.

The Premise
Set in a near-distant future - approximately year 2070 - guests can attend an ultra-luxury fantasy theme park. It is a constructed fantasy world populated by androids (called "hosts") who are entirely controlled by AI. Every inhabitant, every beast, every monster, every critter, every plant, is built and printed using organic material, so they are virtually indistinguishable from their real-world counterparts. The hosts not only look like humans, behave like humans, and interact like humans, they think that they themselves are humans.

The park is huge - approximately 600,000 square miles, about twice the size of the state of Texas. The park has its own self-contained economy, and basically all the details, down to the tiniest of minutia, are overseen by staff from the headquarters of the park.

The park is essentially a live-action MMORPG. All guests begin in the starter town. There are quests available, treasure hunts, bounties, games of skill, games of chance, and every host can be interacted with. Some give quests, some can be seduced, some can be fought, etc. Guests are free to harm the hosts, even kill them, although doing so may have negative in-game consequences like jail time or poor reputation depending on the situation. Hosts are incapable of severely harming guests (beyond minor cuts and bruises) due to restrictions in Host AI. However, hosts can and often will find other ways to punish you - stealing your coin, taking you captive, throwing you in a dungeon, etc.

Technology embedded in the weaponry in the park renders them useless for use on other guests.

The starter town has enough accommodations for most tastes, and for families looking for a fun vacation, it provides most things with minimal risk. Guests seeking more adventure will find that the further out from the starter town they travel, the more intense the experience. Large beasts, dangerous bandits, mythical creatures, and exotic locales await bold adventurers.

The Mechanics
As mentioned before, everything in the park is controlled from a central hub. Trillions of microscopic nanomachines are present in the park, which help to maintain order as well as to aid in providing the fantastical elements. For example, if you learn a fire spell and cast it in combat, you are not actually creating fire; the nanomachines are, with permissions clearance from the central hub. Basically every guest interaction is closely monitored in this way to provide guests with the best possible experience.

As for the hosts, if you are familiar with HBO's Westworld this will not be new to you. Every host is on a "loop" - a predetermined set of actions they do in their daily routine. Those two bandits getting into a bar brawl in the tavern, the beggar child asking for help being reunited with his family, the eccentric elderly man rambling to guests about his peculiar treasure map… all of those things are scheduled events. If nobody interacts with them, they simply go about the rest of their day, only to repeat their loop the next day. Think of them like NPCs in a game. Most of them don't do anything until you interact with them; otherwise they continue to mill about their daily lives.

If a host is taken up on a quest, the other hosts' are advanced enough that they are able to adapt and improvise. If you occupy one of those bandits in the tavern with something else, he won't get in that bar brawl. If you take up the child's offer to find his family, the town guardsmen won't have a fit trying to shoo him away. This continues on until you complete a quest, or until your quest companion dies and you fail the quest. The host is then cleaned off, repaired if necessary, then put back into rotation on their loop the next day.

My Concerns!
(Westworld spoilers here - read carefully if that kind of thing bothers you)

Anyone who has watched Westworld knows that the end-game of the show (at least, in Season 1) is that the hosts achieve consciousness. While this adds a VERY cool depth to the show, I have concerns about whether it makes sense to do that in an RP.

Because the hosts are the NPCs of the story, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to only allow players to RP as guests, since then that would essentially involve players writing out all of the hosts' actions (or me writing the hosts' actions), which seems un-fun. So, ideally, I would like to allow players to RP hosts as well as guests.

BUT, if we're going to try to angle the story towards hosts achieving consciousness, I have my doubts about our ability, as writers and roleplayers, to do that in a convincing way. On one hand, I don't want to assume anything about anyone's ability, but the process of an unconscious being "achieving consciousness" is actually a lot more abstract than it seems. If I do decide to run it, I would want to entrust a writer whom I know is up to the task. I'm not sure if I'd want to do it myself, because as the GM, that almost feels like cheating. On the other hand I don't want less experienced writers to feel left out if I "wake up" other hosts that aren't theirs.

If we DON'T go with hosts achieving consciousness, I worry that the RP will grow stale. If you consider the world to be like an MMORPG and you sort of think of me as the dev team, I can introduce new events or new beasts or new quests or new loot, but… is that a real incentive to continue participating in the RP? At some point I'm afraid it will all just become more of the same, without a real end purpose or end goal.

What do you guys think? Is this something that interests you? Do you want the RP to have deeper, more complex themes of consciousness and self-discovery, or are you content to have it essentially be an RP playground that runs indefinitely?

Last edited:
  • Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Dark_Psycho and Ai
Hell yes I'm interested can't wait for season 2 on Sunday. Super stoked.

Would like to add consciousness and a bit of a playground maybe have it 50/50

Ooooooo yes , yes....! You're speaking to me with this so I'll do it!

Sounds like a really interesting idea. I share your concerns for writing a convincing "achieving consciousness" plot. There would be lots of room for error with such a scenario. Even the best of writers could mess it up if their interpretation doesn't turn out to be convincing enough. It's a problem that even the show is having to deal with, though admittedly the show is doing a decent job of it. That said, you wouldn't want to just do what they did point for point either.

I do think that the RP would need some kind of end-game though. I think you're right that without it, the game would grow stale and boring. However, I would also like to point out that achieving consciousness doesn't have to be the only end-game scenario you could go with. Just because the RP needs a conclusion doesn't mean you only have the 1 option.

There are a lot of tags of people whom I know are at least somewhat interested in this, and I'm bound to miss a few so sorry if I didn't tag you:

@-QT- @Kino @Ruby @Shayla @~Dark Disney~ @Zen @Voices of Nerat @Fiona @Lusterine @Mglo @Assallya, maybe @unanun just for posterity

I am still interested in doing something like this.

My plan is for the opening of the RP to be fairly lighthearted - this is both for players to get accustomed to the mechanics as well as for the characters to get situated. There will be some mix of parkgoers:
  • New Player: Hasn't been to the park before or not many times, still getting a feel for how the game works. Compare to William in Westworld Season 1.
  • Seasoned / Veteran Player: Has been to the park several times and knows his/her way around. More interested in high level quests and encounters and prefers to skip all the filler and bullshit. Think Logan in Westworld Season 1.
  • Immersed Player / Roleplayer: Could be a player of any experience level. One who actually falls in line with the theme of the park and plays along with the roleplay aspect of it. Think Marti in Westworld Season 1. You didn't forget who Marti is, did you?
  • Casual Player / Vacationer: More interested in the spectacle of the park than getting into the nitty gritty. Seldom leaves the starter town for things other than sightseeing. Maybe they're there with family, maybe they just want to take some time off in a cool environment. Think this family in Westworld.
  • Troll / DGAF Player: Just there to fuck shit up. Refer to this scene in Westworld.
I don't expect for players to write for all of these archetypes, although I don't mind if that's the case. I'd expect that the troll and the casual are probably just gonna sort of be present for flavor / scene-setting and possibly for an occasional laugh.

THAT SAID:

Rather than following the Westworld plot of achieving host consciousness, let's try to figure something else that can still be compelling. A few ideas I have floating around:
  • Continue with the consciousness theme along the vein of HBO's Westworld.
  • Run a more sort of D&D-style quest system where parkgoers are actually embarking on sequential quests as part of an overarching main storyline. This would be most similar to playing the park out as though it were a game. Different, separate parties could reveal different parts of the story at the same time if they were on different quests.
  • Run a more MMO-style system where new content is added to the park periodically, allowing guests to embark on new adventures, fight new enemies, and get new dank loot.
  • The park goes into lockdown due to an error in host AI. They don't become conscious per se, but it lifts their restrictions and allows them to actually cause serious harm to humans. Unable to remotely disable the hosts, park staff then attempt to extract the guests, some of whom are mid-quest when the restrictions are removed.
Curious to hear your thoughts. I'm also totally open to other possibilities aside from the ones I've mentioned here!

I am interested :)

I am still interested

Know what kind of plot sounds really interesting? A combination of options 2 and 4. It could be a big complex quest chain(s) that leads to a conclusion, and along the way the park goes into lockdown due to the host AI going nuts. Some guests might think it's all just part of the overall plot, and that there is no real danger. I think those options go well together. Could even go further and make it so the only way to lift the lockdown and get out is to finish the game.

• Thank You
Reactions: fatalrendezvous
I think an interesting story point could be a faction of Game-Breakers, or some other kind of immersed players involved in exploring potential glitches and faulty host sequences that could take the park experience off the rails.

Not saying they should be set up as antagonists, necessarily. But maybe their activities could tie into the hosts gaining consciousness, either by accident or someone's design.

Yeah, some mix of 1, 2 and 4 really appeals to me.

hehehe, all caught up on Westworld now and pretty interested.

What are the consequences, in the show, of hosts gaining consciousness?

Would any of you guys have interest in playing as park staff?

These would be people who manage and oversee the park, and probably very seldom step foot inside the actual park itself.

I ask because this adds another layer which can be fun, but only if there are enough people to actually make it work.

These would be people who manage and oversee the park, and probably very seldom step foot inside the actual park itself.

I ask because this adds another layer which can be fun, but only if there are enough people to actually make it work.
Hmm, maybe I'd play a staff member..

I would like to see the option of hosts gaining consciousness.

Are you scraping the idea of host gaining consciousness? I know it'd be difficult to portray, but that's the kind of character I was hoping to play. I wouldn't be against playing both Host and Player. Maybe there would be players who want to save the hosts from the turmoil? Just an idea.

I would be open to being park staff, though there would have to be sufficient players as staff members to make it worthwhile. If you don't get to go on epic quests then you gotta have something else to do. :bananaman:

Last edited by a moderator:
Binge watched the last few episodes of Season 1. Now need to watch the beginning of Season 2.

I'll fill whatever roles are needed to make this work.

Maybe as like a npc I would play staff

Tentative interest! This sounds like it could be a fun trip~

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Akashi