Insanity's Embrace IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
"No.. it has to be perfect..I can do this" Lara looked at him and then down as the smell of food filled the air. She had forgotten that she was in a dinner of sorts. Something in that smell made her sick and as she bloted from the table again her lap topcase got snagged on her knee and the whole thing went thumbling to the floor. The computer case flopped open, but their wasnt a computer inside.

As the bathroom door shut, the last of the papers settled to the floor. In the mix were ketchup packets from Mc Donald, Herffy Burger and Taco Time. Some match books, two green crayons that looked half eaten and half of a platic name tag. It was hard to make out the name. It started with a Jo. It could have been male or female, hard to say.

It was odd that all the papers had the same date, a few were just notes, others were lists. List that seemed to have no meaning. Others still had rows and rows of names. Some where boy names others were girl names. Some were numbers and others were a series of patterens. It was all very strange. Amoung the mess was a hospital braclet that looked torn or chewed off. It read

Crestline Hospital: Lara Yates SS#555-22-5555
Checked in 10:44 am Feb 14, 2008
Dr. H. Scott
Code: A41-1

The rest of it was to chewed up to read. Some of the list were even written in crayon and in pencil but not all of the hand writting seemed to match.

In the bathroom Lara was sick over and over until she couldnt be sick any more and every part of her hurt. Shaking she slowly stood up and left the stall. She washed her face but never looked in the mirror. Looking at the floor she noticed a forgotten lip stick or a dropped on, but either way it was perfect for her. She instantly started to write on the walls, numbers and letters. Nothing was in any order as she scribbled on the walls, the stall, the mirror and then moved to the sink.

Alex stared, what was she on about, and just how much stress was she under? He knelt next to the table and began to pick up the objects that had fallen putting then into the case. It was an odd collection to be sure but he only paused when he found the bracelet. He held it in one hand and read it, a puzzled look on his face. "Crestline Hospital." he read aloud, it didn't sound familiar but Lara had obviously been a patient there, couldn't have stayed there long though, the date on the paper was just ten days later, the date on all the papers.... The symbols, numbers..... He stopped, there was no way these papers where the same age, was it a code? Or put there to mislead someone. Was she one of them?

He threw the rest of the contents into the bag and zipped it shut sliding onto the table. If a doctor examined her he would know if she was.... He needed to find this Doctor Scot and talk to him. He copied the information from the bracelet onto a piece of paper and slipped into the bag as well, he didn't want her knowing he had seen it.

Alexandra had gone into the backroom and slipped out the back to the alley for some fresh air. She didn't expect Julia or Sam to really do much of anything. Julia had cleaned up the coffee pot mess, but the customers were left to themselves. She wasn't really into this whole 'work' thing. Usually it was Alexandra who actually kept the cafe running.

Seeing the customers were getting edgy, Julia sighed and approached a man and woman at a table "Can I help you?" she said in an offhand tone that clearly showed how much she'd rather be somewhere else. Sam was busy seeing to the other customers and wiping down the nonexistent messes on the counter.

Meanwhile the storm was finally starting to slowly taper off outside. Under the overhang in the back, Alexandra leaned against the wall. What was wrong with her this time? She hadn't had an episode like that in a long while, and just out of the blue this? What did it all mean? The water was dripping under the overhang a moment as she sighed and turned toward the street. The lightening crashed as she thought she saw a figure of a small girl standing there. With the next flash there was nothing. Just the typical empty street. Her heart pounding she rubbed her face a moment and turned to go back inside. She was sure Julia and Sam had done nothing, so maybe some work would get her mind off things.

~~

The female waitress had been startled by the storm and dropped her coffee pot with a crash. He didn't move or flinch, even though the action had startled him. Instead he looked down and watched her with his cold, calculating eyes. Was this a sign? a signal for something to happen?

His eyes moved around the diner again as another woman and man appeared. What was with these people? Was this some sort of congregation? They must be plotting something against him! Slowly he scooted toward the wall of his booth. His hand moving toward his silverware where a conveniently placed knife could be found. The female waitress suddenly left as he noticed her put something into her mouth. Frowning a shadow passed over his face as he tried to calm himself. Slowly he got up and moved from the booth toward the bathroom. Panic was rising and he needed to calm himself. Slipping into the bathroom, he locked the door behind him and went straight to the sink, splashing water on his already wet face.

Slowly he lifted his head to look into the mirror, water dripping from his face. Shadows were evident under his eyes as he tried to keep his calm. Gripping the sides of the sink, he wanted nothing more than to just lash out and throw a tantrum. In his head he might be, but in reality he was just standing there staring and slowly his expression changed into a smile.

The red lipstick was nearly gone when Lara blinked and suddenly stopped just as quickly as she had started. The walls, sink, mirror, both stalls, the trash can, the soap dispensor, the paper towel dispensor all had red lipstick all over them.

Some were numbers, others will strange shapes and others still looked like codes or strange markings. None of it mean any sense at all. It was just one huge red mess.

Sniffling a littl Lara noticed that a mid the red on her hands from the lipstick her nose as bleeding and now that was running down her face. A few dropps hit the floor and top of her shoe. A neat little splash made a cut pat sound.

Lara liked that sould and waited as other drop hit the floor. She listened for its cute little sound too but instead heard the water running the bathroom next door. In a panic she grabbed a whole bunch of toilet paper from the first stall and tried to stop the bloodly nose.

She was shaking as she stood at the sink and tried to get herself to look normal. She never looked in the mirror as she cleaned off her face as best as she could and slowly she left the bathroom. It was a total mess and she even forgot to turn off the water. Lara had left the lipstick in the sink and the water running. In her mind, they were things that belonged to someone else and so she walked back over to the table and wrapped her arms around the guy at the table.

She smiled and kissed his lips before she sat down near him and grabbed a menu.

"You hungry ducky?? Im buy'n"

Alexander was lost in though planning his next move On the table before his where several pencil sketches of strangely proportioned figures. "She couldn't be, she had seemed so nice, just stressed about her job. He had initiated contact, she wouldn't have cared if he had just kept on walking. This is why he wished he didn't know, why he wished he hadn't seen them.

His thoughts where interrupted by a pair of arms wrapping around him and the sweet sensation of being kissed. He blinked in confusion he hardly knew Lara and now she has kissing him and buying him meals. It had been a while but he doubted he was that charming. Ge wondered what had happened in the bathroom. "Sure, I would love something to eat." He said hesitantly, too polite and confused to refuse. Then perhaps out of politeness, or from years of loneliness, or perhaps genuine atraction he returned her embrace.

Lara looked at the menu and then around the dinner for someone to order too.

"Looks like I might have to make it myself" she teased as she grabbed his knee under the table and laughed. She let go just as quick and then looked the menu again and again. She flipped it upside down and then right side up again.

Her eyes were never focused on reading anything that was there. Her eyes scanned the room again as she took in the counter and the other empty chairs. She tilted her head toward the mens room knowing someone was in there. She wondered who it was and if they were okay? She also started to wonder if she really would have too cook her own meal. Would the burners be electric like her last apartment or would the have a scary flame?

Her mind was cycling from one thought to another as she moved the fork from the placesetting she had to another one and then traded the spoons and then she moved the napkin holder and salt and pepper shakers over here and then over there. She was emersed in moving the objects into a pattern of sorts. The little pink and yellow sugar packets caught her eye as well and she reached across the table trying to get them.

Alexander's hand flew to the sketches ans he slid them into the binder with almost unnatural speed. "Lara, are you alright?" he asked putting the binder on his lap and out of her reach. He had half a thought to just leave but he just sat her watching her trying to make sense o her movements, trying to make it all fit. Thoughts raced through his head.

Was she one of them?.......Was she playing his emotions to make him stay?.......What were her plans for him once she took him back.....who was doctor Scot, her controller, or a previous victim?........Was she really could the really be one of them.......had she gotten too him already, the kiss, grabbing his knee, was he already infected?..........Could she really be one of them?..................Could she really bee one of them...........God I hope shes not one of them.

Lara jumped when he spoke to her "Im fine, why what have you heard? whats the skuttlebutt this time ducky".. Her voice changed as she spoke to the him and then she hid behind her menu again. The just as quickly as she had hid she popped back out again.

"Oh I love this song.. they were playing it the night of the attack and it was so much fun.. I can see it now. All the lights, the planes and that little girl in the back with the pink and white dress with the bow in her hair, that was me you see, and yeah. she was never mean to anyone but the ants that would march along her windowseal..."

Lara was about to say more when her cell phone rang and she screamed. Pushing her bag off the table. It landed hard and some of her things came rolling out like a pen and the phone. Come change and a photograph. She looked down a the mess and the buzzing phone she reached down and grabbed it.

"Yeash I know I missed the meeting, I know. No I'd had nothing to do with that." She was talking into the phone as she sat back down and let out a sigh. "No I dont want too. I dont like him and I dont like that other fat lady either, they poked me remember" she barked into the phone.

She nodded her head and looked like she might cry. "but I dont want tooo.." she sounded like a child. Lowering her eyes she looked at the floor and handed the phone over to Alex. "he wants to talk to you.." Lara let out another sigh and then started to pick up the coins on the floor.

The caller ID read.. L. Scott, M.D.

Slightly taken aback Alexander took the phone hesitantly. He had planned to call Dr' Scot, but to have him call Lara was unexpected.

"Hello Dr. Scott is it?"

"ah yeas, yeas it is now please please tell me one thing is Lara safe? She isnt hurt is she? She left for my office and never arrived. Ive been worried sick.." the man let out a slow sigh.

"Look I know this is strange and taxing on anyone that comes across her but my wishes to have her in a safer place had all gone unfullied. Listen can you just keep her there as long as you can and I can come pick her up myself. She is in no condition to be out on her own, I never should have said that she might be able to go back to work someday.."

"I said someday not today..." the man let out another sigh and waited to see what the man he was talking to might say.

"Im sorry for all of this and if she has done any damage I can remburse you no matter the cost okay.."

"She is just arranging things, and keeps calling me duckie." Alex replied, "But hasn't been trouble." a thought struck him. "Dr. if I may ask, Why was she in hospital, and what where your findings?" this would answer once and for all if Lara was one of them...

"well Im not at liberty to say, um why dont you ask her and see what she says, its been a long day and well if your okay with her staying with you, Ill leave it at the that I wasnt sure if all her talk about her 'ducky' was true but well now here you are."

The doc sounded happy to have pawned her off on someone new. "Listen if you need anything just get her phone and hit the redail button, as far as I know Im the only one she calls since the.. well lets call it the event. Well goodnight, if you need anything just give me a call."

Lara looked sad and was pouty as she sat their nibbling her finger nails. She had stopped playing with the sugar packets and left them in neat piles that alternated with blue, white and pink and another pile that was only pink and white.

"I.." she went to say something but stopped and looked around the resturant. She felt like she was being watched and that made her jumpy. She looked at Alex and then down. Tucking her hair behind her ear she rubbed her wrist back and forth like it was a strange code or something. Then she stopped and held her hands together on the table before she reached over and starting to mess with the said papers that were for her work.

"Alright there sporto, she's really a sweatheart, just make sure you dont tell her the real date and everything will be just fine. Besides, its not it really matters, in her mind it will always be the day before everything changed. Have a great night" And with that the man hung up.

Lara looked up at Alex and looke like she might cry. "So I have to leave huh.. they want me back dont they, they are coming to take me away again.. its not my fault I didnt see anything I didnt hear anything.. nothing happened.." Lara seemed to break down and then crawled under the table. She hugged her knees and cried into them. She was hidding, it was all she knew to do.

"Alright doctor, I will call if I anything happens." he lowered the phone a little and looked at Lara under the table "Hes just worried about you and asked me to take tare of you Lara." he said trying to sound friendly. He was wondering what could be so traumatizing that someone was willing to stop time before facing what happened, unless... No he had to take this at face value, this was someone who didn't deserve this.

He took her hand gently tugging lightly to get her to come out from under the table. "Lara, if you want you can spend the night at my place, noone will find you there." he though of having a guest in his single-room apartment, but it was just until morning, and at least the bathroom would offer them both a little privacy.

Lara blinked and slowly took his hand and came out from under the table. She was shy but tried to smile.

"You mean they arent coming for me and I can go back to work now" Lara smiled and brushed her hair back into place with her fingers.

"I have a lot of work to do today too, I have a big presentaion and then these scrolls are very imporant I have to make sure they dont get wet. Thats very important. " She smiled at Alex and then blushed.

"So are you new? I mean they said I was gonna have a buisness lunch but the cab dropped me here and well you must be the guy.." she looked in her small computer bag and took out a ratty looking penicle and a small box that had other strange trinklets in it.

"Ill pay for lunch okay" she told him as she blushed. "I have lots of money" Lara said as she shook the box. I didnt sound like money, but then again it might be.

Alex tried to figure out what to do, she thought he was some business partner, snd he looked anything but with his stained shirt, faded jeans and old sneakers, it would almost be funny under other circumstances.

He wondered if Dr. Scot was forced to play the part of business executive in every meeting, or if it was the fact that they where indeed in a diner that had brought it out. The phrase 'I can go back to work now' struck him as odd., and his mind, was it her escape? To think she was working? "I'm not here for a business meeting, but we are having lunch together." he said pulling out a seat for her before sitting down himself.

"Oh" Lara looked around again and tried to be as professional as she once was. She smiled at him and slowly lowered into the chair he offered her. Lara couldnt help but blush from his kindness. Lara picked up a menu again. It was then that she noticed the piles of sugar in different little stacks.

"Nice hobby, I use to do that too.." she smiled at him and then read the menu. "You know I think Ill have soup. Its a soup kind of day. Oh and Im Lara by the way, are you knew to the station because they have told that they've hired outside help and its nice to see a fresh face"

Lara was so different then the crying likd child she had been not 10 minutes before. She smiled at Alex and looked at him. "So what will you be having?"

Alex blinked, "I'm Alexander, and I'm kind of just unemployed." He said, "Well I make a little money with my sketches." He explained sitting. Could she really not remember meeting a few minutes ago? He picked up the menu and looked it over, but he already knew what he wanted. "I think I'll go for the chicken schnitzel with a small salad on the side." He said after a few seconds. "So Lara, you haven't told me what you actually do for a living. Oh, and I think this is yours." He put her phone on the table between them, hoping she didn't think he had stolen it or anything.

"Oh thanks I was looking for that in the bathroom.. did you get that call that you were hoping for.." she asked him as if she already knew the answer. Lara rubbed her temples and looked at Alex. "No wait, I mean yeah thanks.."

Lara seemed confused herself as she looked at the menu and hoped he wouldnt question her thought process. Setting the menu down in hopes of getting to order Lara noticed the sugar packets. Her hand extended to touch them but she pulled them back into her lap as her mind raced and she just started talking to fill the void of strained silence.

"You know the variation of colors is so much like a pattern I have seen before. Its more lateral then vertical and they vary in many more colors then just these. The colors are so rich and just amazing.." Lara blushed as soon as she realized she was rambling.

"Oh Im sorry, yeah I want the chicken noodle soup, Im freezing see.." Lara touched Alex's hand with her own and then pulled back. "I dont know Im always cold now.. its strange right. Oh and coffe I gotta have coffee."

Lara looked around for the pretty waitress and noticed that she was cleaning something and then walking over to another guest. "Guess will have to wait our turn" she said to Alex in a playful tone.

Alex rubbed where Lara had touched him with the thumb of his other hand, it was an automatic reaction. "Coffee sounds good." he said brightly, looking around. "I guess you're right." he said looking back at her. "So when did you start playing with sugar packets?"he asked trying to keep her mind on the here and now.

"ah" Lara wasnt sure what to say at that question. "um well" she suddenly seemed scared and looked around the restuarant. "Im not able to say just now okay, they might be here and listening, I have to be very careful."

Lara shifted in her seat and then eyed his notebook. "So whats in there, you making a master piece or something.." she smiled and hoped that her ploy to turn the tides back toward his shores would work in her favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.