1. One post per week
  2. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences

Inquiries

Questions, Answers & Chatter
You already read through all of the 'Orientation' threads and still have questions? That happens. Ask them here! Someone should get to you soon enough. The most reliable answers come from the Co-GM (darkflames13) and GM (Nemopedia), of course.

Please join us on Discord if you can!

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Madman in The Attic
This might be a bit of a silly question, but are there corrupt Cloaks around? The sort that take bribes and favours from the Floaters or are they Exclusively loyal to the Vice-President of The Council? Additionally do they sometimes leave smaller criminals off the hook as informants or something like that?

• Useful
This might be a bit of a silly question, but are there corrupt Cloaks around? The sort that take bribes and favours from the Floaters or are they Exclusively loyal to the Vice-President of The Council? Additionally do they sometimes leave smaller criminals off the hook as informants or something like that?
Yes, there are corrupt members that do that.

It really depends on each member themselves, since they have quite the authority. You can compare it to real life cops. These who stick close to the rules don't tend to let anything pass them, unlike these who work more within the spirit of the rule, or are more interested in getting themselves ahead. These mentalities will result in a different style of keeping up 'order'.

Last edited:
What keeps people staying in the Golden City if the standard of living is so poor for most of the population? Is the land outside the Golden City a wasteland?

What keeps people staying in the Golden City if the standard of living is so poor for most of the population? Is the land outside the Golden City a wasteland?
You could say the promise of The Sky for these succesful and the fact that engineers/scientists have the ‘freedom’ to do whatever they want within the city unlike outside of the city.

You can sort of say that Golden City is a micronation of sorts that doesn’t allow/have a lot of government interference.

You mentioned the Cloaks stay undercover and anonymous (hence the cloaks). Do they have day jobs as well, as a cover? Or do they simply remain as insignificant as possible outside their duties?

• Useful
You mentioned the Cloaks stay undercover and anonymous (hence the cloaks). Do they have day jobs as well, as a cover? Or do they simply remain as insignificant as possible outside their duties?
They can have a ‘day’ job, if they so wish and can keep up. Though being an Inquisition member is a full time job in itself, so they are busy enough as it is! It is a choice and dedication they are free to make for themselves in that regard.

You could say the promise of The Sky for these succesful and the fact that engineers/scientists have the ‘freedom’ to do whatever they want within the city unlike outside of the city.

You can sort of say that Golden City is a micronation of sorts that doesn’t allow/have a lot of government interference.
This does definitely account for the creative and the inventive! But do the coal minors really believe they have a chance to make it to the Sky? Why don’t they daydream of leaving the Golden City and head to London or Paris for a fresh start with a different life? Do they receive news from the outside world? Are they aware of the outside world and the goings on?

Trying to gauge how disconnected the citizens are to understand why they would stick around in such a poor living environment. Since the government isn’t a prominent factor in their lives, why don’t the elves and sirens just move out of the Golden City entirely for a better life? Is the air outside the city just as bad due to the sheer amount of industrialization happening within the micronation?

How big is this micronation? Is it the size of Rome? Is it only a few hundred miles? Do they have allies or are they neutral in the happenings of the world? When outsiders come to live in the Golden City, is there a vetting process for immigrants? Are they allowed to leave at any time? Are they granted full citizenship or do they work under a visa? Would roleplay ever expand outside of the Golden City even just subtlety to denote the rest of the world?

Is it okay to make a noble character whose family has connections with the Inquisition? For instance, the dad is a cloak. Is that all good?

I promise I'm not asking this to make you crazy. All I need is a "yes" or "no" response. That being said... :idea:

I have a character that has an identical twin (no, wait, don't start groaning yet). One is sequestered in the Sky. The other chooses to live on the Land.

One of the brothers poses as a law-abiding citizen but is a particularly nasty criminal (The White Snake). [The GMs will know which one.]

Do I have to disclose this now in my character sheets--reveal which one is the criminal? Yes? No?

My insignificant not-worthy feeling was - that it would work better in play if their secret identity wasn't disclosed yet. (The White Snake would post as an independent entity separate from either of the twin's personas.)

Okay! You can bury your head in your hands and start groaning now! However, the up side is - you don't even have to explain your decision. Just a Yes or No is fine, really! Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: Aero Blue
I may have missed something in my reading, but what is the protocol for NPC usage? How sandboxy are we allowed to be, I suppose. Are we allowed to write posts in the view-point of NPCs important/prevalent in our PC's lives?

Edit: Also, can it be assumed that there is trade from outside nations?

Why don’t they daydream of leaving the Golden City and head to London or Paris for a fresh start with a different life?
They’re free to dream and leave if they can and want to. Often times those who want to leave are those who have harsh living conditions and are poor. As much as they want to leave, it may not be quite feasible to them financially. It’s like irl where people in poor countries don’t necessarily stay there because they want to, it is likey that they just can’t leave because they can’t afford the luxury of leaving and living in another country.

Do they receive news from the outside world? Are they aware of the outside world and the goings on?
Citizens are most likely aware that there is a world outside Golden City, after all, there are immigrants and the like that come from the outside. With regards to the ongoings in the outside world however, they’re most likely not completely aware of it. Golden City was made out of a desire to escape the outside world. I can imagine citizens hearing tales about what’s happening from immigrants.
Whether it is because they want their own autonomy, or wish to escape, there is always an ambitious soul or two that attempts to start their own utopia. Golden City is another such example and a successful one at that. Located somewhere in the European mountains the city’s location keeps itself secluded from the whims of the world.
tl;dr Golden City generally doesn’t concern itself much with what’s happening outside.

Would roleplay ever expand outside of the Golden City even just subtlety to denote the rest of the world?
Nope. The focus of the roleplay is Golden City, not the outside world. We’d rather build on that rather than detail the ongoings in the outside world.
The story takes place within Golden City and its layers, nowhere else. If characters are going to leave Golden City to travel to other places they will have to role play elsewhere, as it isn't Golden City anymore.

The rest of your questions regarding immigration and citizenship will be answered by Pluvy :)

can it be assumed that there is trade from outside nations?
Yep
Import
Because of the lack of fertile grounds in Golden City, there is a lot of import in regards to food and other necessities that Golden City can't produce and provide itself. Fresh fruits and vegetables are valuable on the market of Golden City, and are considered a luxury product.​

Thank you, Flakes! :D

In case anyone was doubting (which I hope not), I'm standing behind the answers given by my Co-GM.

How big is this micronation? Is it the size of Rome? Is it only a few hundred miles? Do they have allies or are they neutral in the happenings of the world? When outsiders come to live in the Golden City, is there a vetting process for immigrants? Are they allowed to leave at any time? Are they granted full citizenship or do they work under a visa? Would roleplay ever expand outside of the Golden City even just subtlety to denote the rest of the world?
For size, I can't give you an exact answer on that. Is me saying a decent sized (self-respecting) European city enough for your imagination? Or can I get away with the description of 'big enough to get where you need to be on feet, but too large to see everything on feet?'

Again, I don't have exact numbers. Take this from someone who likes walking.

They are neutral in the happenings of the world, as Flakes answered before Golden City was mostly conceived out of a wish to escape the everyday world, with a focus on the pursuit of freedom. Since they are so secluded as well little affects them regarding the happenings of the world.

I wouldn't say there is a full-blown citizenship behind it, as in nationality and all. Just a registration, which is a pretty bureaucratic process because you need to make an appointment at the Town Hall in the Sky and all and then sign up. (Think of registering your identity, contact information, where you live, what you do, where were you born, birth, family, that rumpslump of delicious paperwork) These who aren't registered (which are most of the rats, and the other beings (a locked role by the by)) are considered not to be in the city as they aren't 'registered' so to say. Not being registered in the city obviously comes with a slew of disadvantages, like mentioned in the information, because according to the books you don't exist. It also becomes more difficult to register the older you get (especially so if you have been born in GC), because yay bureaucracy.

Is it okay to make a noble character whose family has connections with the Inquisition? For instance, the dad is a cloak. Is that all good?
Well, one of the Council members would be leading the Inquisition, and Inquisition members also have a life outside of their work (I hope). It is pretty much suggested that they have families. The Inquisition also picks on ability rather than status, so it is very probable that a member of the Sky could be an Inquisition member, that if they don't mind the hard labour and contact with the 'lower' folk.

I promise I'm not asking this to make you crazy. All I need is a "yes" or "no" response. That being said... :idea:

I have a character that has an identical twin (no, wait, don't start groaning yet). One is sequestered in the Sky. The other chooses to live on the Land.

One of the brothers poses as a law-abiding citizen but is a particularly nasty criminal (The White Snake). [The GMs will know which one.]

Do I have to disclose this now in my character sheets--reveal which one is the criminal? Yes? No?

My insignificant not-worthy feeling was - that it would work better in play if their secret identity wasn't disclosed yet. (The White Snake would post as an independent entity separate from either of the twin's personas.)

Okay! You can bury your head in your hands and start groaning now! However, the up side is - you don't even have to explain your decision. Just a Yes or No is fine, really! Thanks!
You're suggesting that I'm not already crazy? :'D

I mean, whatever you're comfortable with? You said that you plan on disclosing the information with the GM's, so it is all a-okay with me if you decide to leave it out on the sheet (or put it on both for extra confusion, hue). I'm all for that mindfuck, go for it!

I may have missed something in my reading, but what is the protocol for NPC usage? How sandboxy are we allowed to be, I suppose. Are we allowed to write posts in the view-point of NPCs important/prevalent in our PC's lives?
If NPC's are going to take prominent/big roles that they require a whole p.o.v post for themselves I'd argue that they should be granted a sheet and introduction as a full character. Since obviously they are of some importance.

As for controlling NPC's. Unless the one who introduces said NPC explicitly states that everyone is allowed to control the NPC it is to the exclusive use of the 'owner'. I don't want myself or anyone to go on the assumption that just because it is an NPC they can control and mess up potential plans and ideas.

You're suggesting that I'm not already crazy? :'D

I mean, whatever you're comfortable with? You said that you plan on disclosing the information with the GM's, so it is all a-okay with me if you decide to leave it out on the sheet (or put it on both for extra confusion, hue). I'm all for that mindfuck, go for it!

If it was me (and it's not) I'd do 3 sheets. One for each of the twins and one for The White Snake (who totally isn't one of the twins. Honest). That way you have known information out for each persona, and if two of them turn out to be the same person later on you're all set.

Or all three of them.

Maybe he's just claiming to have a twin? :o

You're suggesting that I'm not already crazy?

Well, you know... I thought a little unctuous flattery might slide by there. But you were too sharp for that! Rats!

Thanks very much for your response!

I'm of one mind with @Anguissette (eek! wait, they said they weren't me, but if we have one mind....oh deities, this is confusing).

I think three character sheets is the way to go for -brother number one, -brother number two (if two do exist indeed) and -criminal, The White Snake, who totally isn't one of the twins, nuh-uh, no way, who woulda thought.

Given the clandestine nature of the Cloaks, what's the in-world policy on ex-Cloaks? Are they sworn to secrecy or... (insert Discord :scream:) is it a retire in a coffin type-deal?

I like your thinking @Anguissette & @Ravenfrost! :D

Given the clandestine nature of the Cloaks, what's the in-world policy on ex-Cloaks? Are they sworn to secrecy or... (insert Discord :scream:) is it a retire in a coffin type-deal?
I’m going to put the answer of another popular question regarding the Inquisition here as well, so that everyone has it.

There are many ways for an Inquisition member to retire. They can get fired because they are incompetent, or can’t be trusted or believed to execute their job anymore. Losing a limb, for example, is a reason to retire early because the mechanical limbs right now just don’t work as efficiently as your real limbs do. Usually you can continue your job for as long as your body allows you, so the Inquisition does try to keep you until your body runs cold, but seeing the limits of our body with age this isn’t usual.

So, a retired Cloak is definitely allowed to live a little longer (thank the Sky!). They are expected to keep quiet, however. For the safety of the members left behind, but also for their own and that of their family. Though, you can imagine that, just like RL, not everyone holds onto it, so stories do slip at times. Unfavourable and it usually gets you on the wrong side of the Inquisition (not suggesting this, buuut they would maybe make plans to get rid of your tongue).

Question!

I read that you want realistic or semi-realistic (have to check for a direct quote) artwork for character sheets and I'm not trying to go against that. But I did want to ask if you would accept created tintype (altered photo as attached), rather than assume I know what your answer will be and not ask at all.

Sorry for the bother!

The only reason I ask is because this was the very best visual representation of the character that I could find. Like spot on.

I'm pretty sure this is of a famous Russian model--I've spent a few hours trying to identify it, but come up empty. (By coincidence, the character is half-Russian.) If this is an acceptable art-type, I'll keep looking until I can I.D. it. (I have a large collection of images for story purposes, but I normally don't use them on this site.)

As always, a no or yes answer suffices without having to take up more of your time, your worships! :spin:

P.S.
He's an aristocrat raised by his grandfather and only recently starting to live apart from the old man, so his attire is currently pretty old-school until he gets acclimated.
Damaged%20tintype%20Dionysius_zpshkbkzl3z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Question!

I read that you want realistic or semi-realistic (have to check for a direct quote) artwork for character sheets and I'm not trying to go against that. But I did want to ask if you would accept created tintype (altered photo as attached), rather than assume I know what your answer will be and not ask at all.

Sorry for the bother!

The only reason I ask is because this was the very best visual representation of the character that I could find. Like spot on.

I'm pretty sure this is of a famous Russian model--I've spent a few hours trying to identify it, but come up empty. (By coincidence, the character is half-Russian.) If this is an acceptable art-type, I'll keep looking until I can I.D. it. (I have a large collection of images for story purposes, but I normally don't use them on this site.)

As always, a no or yes answer suffices without having to take up more of your time, your worships! :spin:

P.S.
He's an aristocrat raised by his grandfather and only recently starting to live apart from the old man, so his attire is currently pretty old-school until he gets acclimated.
Damaged%20tintype%20Dionysius_zpshkbkzl3z.jpg
How would I dare to simply respond with only a single word to you? Since you put so much effort in crafting your question I shall reply alike!

I prefer if you tried to look for semi-realistic/realistic art, yes. However, I do understand that some have difficulty with that. Which is why you’re always allowed to ask for help. I know some are eager to throw a bunch of links at you.

My pinterest is a black hole of pictures, but feel free to go through them to see if anything suits your tastes. That being said, I also took the liberty to pick up few images that may help:

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

Though, images aren’t a hard requirement. I could also accept your character on the condition that you fill out a description. I can keep an eye closed and ignore the picture. :P