Innovation in the gaming industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Innovation is risk. Risk is potential loss of money. Loss of money is angry shareholders. Familiarity and repeated, solic concepts is safer money. Safe Money = Happy Shareholders. Welcome to Capitalism 101.

Innovation is risk. Risk is potential loss of money. Loss of money is angry shareholders. Familiarity and repeated, solic concepts is safer money. Safe Money = Happy Shareholders. Welcome to Capitalism 101.
Heard this from Extra Credits, and I think this would work. Hire an indie company for innovative titles. If it flops, no worries. If it is a hit, go ahead and continue work on the successful product. I would think this should be how new games are made. This would kill manatony, and SAVE THE WORLD!!! Or something like that. I'm optimistic more often than not, so that is my bias.

You still put money of salary and budgets on them. It is a investment. IT will be a risk. There used to be a thing called the "Middle Market" with Studios like Westwood and Maxis pre-EA buyout.

I think innovation is overrated. I don't always agree with Jim Sterling, but I think he puts it nicely:

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I miss westwood... Red Alert 2 was one of four games that defined my early childhood.
The other three being Pokemon, Halo and Kotor.

+I do agree with Jimquisition.
Innovation shouldn't be done simply for innovations sake, there needs to be a reason behind it.

That being said though, I don't even feel the future Halo games, CoD games etc are doing well.
Sure they chose to focus on the game rather than bother innovating, but the end result is still rather boring, and in Halos case a giant slap in the face for any fan of Bungies work.

Being a steady fan of a couple of series I do enjoy the familiarity with new things added, I also enjoy innovation. It mostly depends on the execution of the game. I'm mainly a casual gamer, but I do have those occasional several hour sessions of being glued to a game.

A fairly recent experience in innovation vs familiarity was Hometown Story, a game from the Harvest Moon series. Except there you ran a store instead of having a farm. It would've been a really great game if not for a huge issue for me: The movement controls were seriously bad, so bad you were pretty much locked to the store you ran like a show seal being told to do tricks all the time. It was frustrating enough that I gave it up. I would've enjoyed the game mechanics too had the controls been better, but nope, immersion broken while trying to close the store early and not finding a way out.

On the flip side, the same company released a new game about 6-7 years back called Rune Factory. They didn't intend on marketing it as related to the Harvest Moon series, but it got marketed like that for the English translation. It's basically Harvest Moon in a fantasy world where you tame monsters instead of buying animals. Plus you got dungeons, weapons and magic!
It's a well done series to say it simply, considering that they've released at least four more games in the series...

My point is: Innovation and newness counts for nothing if the game is bad enough to ruin the immersion/enjoyment of the game.
Similarly is the game mechanics, tossing anyone into having to learn something completely new just to have fun can make some people get a little prissy. Or a lot. Especially when they favor the older games.

At a previous forum (a FF fans forum) I spent time on they absolutely loved Sephiroth to bits and enjoyed hating on FF X-2 for being "a girly preteen game". -.- I like that game. It's not legendarily innovative, but it did have a battle system that changed things up and the ability to change jobs in battle without taking away the need for tactics.

Yes, I consider those guys prissy (plus a few other things), but not just for that reason. While they were busy ranting about it being a girly game "designed to bring preteen girls into the series" I was busy playing it and testing out the new mechanics. New things are scary, so people latch onto the old and familiar, the safety of what they know. They can talk the talk about innovation, but braving out to take the walk is something completely different. Humans are creatures of habit in the end.

I actually think that things are looking up with the indie game market rising/kickstarters.

I don't think there's a problem with gaming it's self. The innovative games you're looking for are there. It's just not talked about because Halo and They are considered shovelware because last of us graphics.

Whenever I hear about a shovelware game, I buy it. Because odds are it's different/fun. So why's it "shovelware"? Because the graphics suck >.<

The over all culture is what I think the problem is. It's not about having fun anymore, it's about improving graphics/mechanics (literally, I have been told those EXACT words) if your game doesn't compare visually with last of us, it's not worth anyone's time.

THANKFULLY, the indie market is rising and People don't seem to care much for graphics anymore, and kickstarter is giving us the games we WANT, so things seem to be looking up ^^

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Status
Not open for further replies.