RESOURCE Inkarnate - Free, easy-to-use, fairly powerful map builder

Discussion in 'BUILDING WORLDS' started by fatalrendezvous, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Hey guys!

So I was curious about mapbuilding because I'm planning on coming up with a map for an upcoming RP I have cooking in my head. I ended up looking online for an easy to use map builder, and after a little bit of time I came upon one called Inkarnate. It's in beta, but it's already got some pretty nifty tools. Here's the link: Inkarnate

It also saves maps and allows you to upload your own textures (for example, if you wanted to upload color swatches to make political mappings).

I created this in a few hours or so:

[​IMG]

The time I took to make it is deceiving. A lot of the time spent was tinkering with the editor, and scrapping an older map I was trying to begin with.

A simple tip to make your maps look more authentic is to remember that most naturally-created landmasses don't have nice, round, smooth sides. So once you get about the shape, zoom in and take some time carving out the little details. It goes a long way.

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Thanks! This is really going to help me a ton.

3. Do you need to sign up in order to access the map?

4. Oh hey I made one there too :D

Dates from late November, early December 2016. They're removed some things since then ;__;

[​IMG]

5. I believe you do have to create an account yes! Otherwise you would not be able to save/download your created map.

6. Yeah, I actually went ahead and signed up. It was a bit of a challenge at first but...

I'm just gonna leave this pretty masterpiece here

Spoiler

[​IMG]

• Love Love x 1
  7. boop
    [​IMG]

A map I made before they updated it a month or two ago. Haven't played around with any of the new stuff yet.

• Love Love x 2
  8. Apparently I can't make large-scale things 8D one day I'll just make the whole goddamn continent / world.

MY NEWEST CREATION (still things to be edited but it's mostly done)

Asandell
    [​IMG]

9. This looks fun, but as always, I have to ask before giving them my email...

What do they use it for? Have any folks gotten spam emails from it?

10. I don't know what they use it for, but as a person who has an account, I'm happy to say I've never gotten any spam. :)

• Like Like x 1