Initium Novum: Episode 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark had not made his way back to his workshop in HQ until early in the cycle. It would've been time for him to resume his shift, but he had been given the time up until he was needed for the event off. He slumped in his chair, his right arm making a strange hissing sound and leaking small amounts of fluid all the way home. He set it on the table and began dissembling it and fixing what had been broken. He looked upon his arm with regret. He had almost won that arm wrestling contest too! The fix was easy and he was able to restore it to 'as good as new' condition. He leaned back in the chair, put on one of his favorite musical pieces, this one from another long dead composer about the four different seasons, kicked his feet on the desk and relaxed until he was needed to help with the event. His hands moved and twirled in tune with the music.

Last edited:
The Drunken Night
Artemis leaned on the bar, afraid he might break the barstool itself. He turned to Celyn "So what will you have?" if he could smile he would have done so with an awkward smile.

Funkier Than Light was potentially one of the weirdest bars Celyn had ever been too, and she certainly never had been to a bar with androids as company, but here she was. She sat down on the worn barstool beside Artemis, glancing at the display of drinks behind the shiny counter. "I'm not entirely sure. Never been here before- I bet all their drinks are with a 60's theme. I thought we got over that years ago. Hey!" She called over the bartender, ordering what sounded like the most normal drink she could spot on the available menu.

Blaring music? Drunken clubbers? Yup these were only some of the reasons Artemis didn't go to clubs. The bartender fixed his eyes on the android "How about you old timer? Anything to drink?" Artemis pointed featureless face "Just give me a plug." his tone was condescending. A small panel opened on the bar revealing an energy socket. From a panel in his back Artemis took a white cord and plugged it in. He watched as Celyn took a sip of her drink and cringed a bit. "So how long have you had that implant?" he pointed to her back.

The woman frowned when the android mentioned her cybernetic. "You know about that? How can you tell it's there? Usually people still have trouble noticing it with my shirt straight off." she said, sipping at her drink before putting it down on the bar table. It was true. The cybernetic did show through atop her skin, but underneath her shirt, it was hard to tell it was there. "I've had it for about five years now, but a few adjustments every year or so."

The android fidgeted "Forgive me I did not mean to offended you. It's just I've been around long enough and seen enough to know the difference between how a normal human carries themselves and how one with implants does." He looked down that the bar... Artemis wasn't to good with talking to humans. "Well I asked you an embarrassing question it's only fair that you ask me."

Celyn smiled at the android. "
You didn't offend me, I was just alarmed is all. I've never thought of it that way, that those with cybernetics move differently than those without. It's an interesting thought." Her words were genuine. She thought it through more as she sipped again at her drink, a small buzz beginning to build up in her mind. "And hmm.. A question for you? Let's go with... Have you always been on-duty, since the day you were first online?"

"
Have I always been on duty..." The andriod paused and went scilent a slight hum could be heard coming from his body. "I have checked my memory banks and to answer your question yes." his voice was very robotic. Another second passed and Artemis moved normally again. "Congradulations You have asked me a question that I have not heard before." he chuckeled. "That was the more robotic part of my program. It activates when I have been asked a question I have encountered." again he would have smiled if he could have. "I do get a break though, we work in shifts." he explained.

Celyn found herself laughing as Artemis did.
"Well, thank the heavens for breaks, eh? God, this job would be worthless without it. Even though I don't really do much anyway." She usually spent most of her time lounging about at home or running errands for her stupid boss. The pay was enough for her to get by with living on level 3, as well as her parents savings fund for her, but it wasn't ideal. "Must be rough, though, starting work from day one. Have you ever wanted to do something different?"

"
Yes my dear I always wanted to be an Olympic diver." he gave a hardy laugh. "No unfortunately we androids don't have free will like you humans. We are programmed and fitted to a certain task." he gave a sigh. "What about you miss military? Surely a pretty girl like yourself could have become anything she wanted. From what I understand of human mating due to your features you could have had any male on this ship." his question was genuine.

She found herself laughing again as the android spoke. He surely was something. "
Are you trying to call me pretty?" she asked with a wide smile. "I've never received such a compliment from a droid before; thank you." She leaned against the bar table, biting her lower lip lightly as she thought out her response. "I've always wanted to be in the military. I'm not really sure why. Neither of my parents had any involvement; they wanted me to become a doctor, or an engineer, or something. But there's just some sort of fascination in me with the profession. Besides, I was never one for marriage. Settling down with a pretty husband never sounded appealing."

Artemis put his index finger to his chin it made a small metal scratching sound as he rubbed it "
Funny I always thought one of the many joys of human life was making a family. Though humans are unpredictable." he pointed to her " I envy you Celyn, you and the rest of humanity. You are able to have a family and pass on what you know. We androids are doomed to keep our knowledge to ourselves." he paused for a moment. "I mean technically I do what 'brothers' on the ship, the White Knight series I mean, but I never hear from them." He cleared his "throat" "So Celyn of the Initium Novum what is your end goal? I mean after your time in the military. Any secret ventures you would like to pursue?"

Celyn knew that androids couldn't reproduce and never would have a true family, but it had never occurred to her that they might be disapointed or upset by this fact. To her, having a family and passing on her own legacy seemed like an annoying hindrace, and she didn't care enough to bother. She had nothing to pass on. But to think that these robots were envious their ability to do so made her feel as if she was wasting her opportunity.

She decided to let this part of their conversation pass on, composing her downfallen face. "End goal? I haven't really thought about it. To be honest, some part of me felt like I'd always be in the military. Although I guess if I really had to have an end goal... maybe it would be to die fighting the aliens." She said with a wink. "I'd like to go out with a bang, instead of a whimper."

She grabbed ahold of her drink again, downing the rest of the glass before ordering another from the bartender. She looked back at Artemis, tilting her head slightly. "
How about you? I mean, you're probably going to be around when this damn thing lands. If it lands, anyhow. Just because you're programmed to be a cop doesn't mean you always have to be. When we land, if you could do anything in the world with your life, what would it be?"

Artemis kind of sat up in shock "
Well I haven't really given it a lot of thought." he paused for a moment "Well to be honest with you I like being a protector. Knowing the fact that I can save the weak brings me a lot of 'joy' if you will. If this hunk of steel landed tomorrow though hmmmmm." again he scratched his chin "I'd like to be a doctor. I hear sometimes that one of my brothers is a doctor on level two. So in a away he is a White Knight of a different sort."

A small *bing* sound could be heard coming from Artemis's wrist. He unplugged himself and looked at the military woman "
Don't go throwing your life away Celyn. Dying a 'heros death' isn't what its cracked up to be. Nor does it suit a pretty woman like yourself." her said sternly.

"Being a pretty woman has little to do with it. I just... It's hard to explain. Aging and growing old with grandchildren surrounding my death bed just.. it doesn't feel right. I'm not entirely sure if androids can get it- and I don't mean to say they can't- but it's just this feeling. Intuition or something, maybe." She said, turning to look at the new drink the bartender set beside her. She grabbed the glass and hastily gulped down the entire glass, pushing it towards the tender for another. Her eyes focused on her fingers around the glass instead of meeting Artemis' own.

"No I get it. Forgive me I wasn't trying to tell you how to live your life. I'm only saying that your life can be so much more then just dying at the end." he shook his head. The was a moment of awkward scilence between the two of them. "Hey, whats your craziest military story? I can only assume that it isn't all buzzed hair cuts and push ups with you guys." he chuckled.

Celyn ran her finger tip along the rim of the glass for a moment while she thought. "Military stories... hmm... Well. A lot of it is just push ups and work outs, although not so much buzz cuts. Although the moment there actually are aliens to be killed, they'll probably shave all my beautiful locks right off!" She exclaimed, flipping her hair back with a bit of a grin reappearing on her face. "My favorite story is probably the time a trainee came in drunk to a Virtual Reality training session. Watching his practice videos afterwards was potentially one of the funniest things I've ever done. Just image: drunk idiot with a plastic gun in his hands, stumbling around a barren wasteland of a virtual reality scene, shooting at anything that moved. The aliens would have died just hearing his screaming."

Artemis couldn't help but laugh "You humans are to rich!" his laughter stopped but the play tone of his voice did not "That reminds me of the time I had to break up a bar fight. I say fight but it was more of a 'see who can push harder' contest. One of the assholes was so drunk that he turned to me and shouted at the top of his lungs 'Ah! Talking billboard!' it was so funny!" if the android had eyes they would be watering from laughter.

Celyn laughed alongside the android, downing her brand new drink much like she had the others. The buzz in the back of her mind had escalated into a cloud, a feel-good cloud that rested over her mind. She continued on to tell Artemis another one of her many stories, rambling on and on about the mishappenings of the military unit of the HQ. It felt good to be able to tell somebody these stories. She didn't have many friends that weren't already in the military with her, and even those people didn't quite count as friends. Android or not, Artemis was a friend now in her book.

Within a few hours, the group seemed to have dispersed completely, the redhead from earlier being a drunken nuisance at another table, some of the others nowhere to be seen. Celyn still was with Artemis, however she had so much alcohol in her that she could barely realize that it was him and not anybody else. Her half-empty glass was still in her hands, although she realized she no longer had any desire to drink it. She yawned widely, pushing it away. "'ey, bartender? My .. uhm... ah.. bill! Yes, the bill, please." She stuck out her arm, her bank I.D tattoo on her skin. The bartender scanned it with the bill, rolling his eyes as Celyn got to her feet, looking at Artemis.

"How late is it.... probably like.. nine.. or something..." she paused in her words to hiccup, rubbing at her reddened eyes. It was definitely not nine anymore; more like midnight although she certainly couldn't tell. "Nine... Shit, I have freaking VRT in the.. uhm.. morning? In the morning, and gawd... I should sleep... I'm like.. really tired..." She began to sway on her feet, her eyes beginning to close as if she was going to fall asleep right then and there.

The android caught his drunken friend as she fell back on him with a thud "Ok sweat heart time to go home." he waved to the remaining few members left and picked her up in both arms. Stepping outside felt refreshing. It was quiet, a nice break from the pounding music in the club. Thanks to the realistic day cycle programmed into the ship it was dark the only light was given off by a few street lamps.

With Celyn in hand Artemis walked to the nearest teleporter and stepped inside. "Lunar Ridge Apartments." he commanded. There was a quick flash and a small amount of heat as the teleporter sent the android and his partner home.

*CaChunk* Artemis opened the door to his apartment and laid Celyn on the couch in the living room. Quietly he moved for a blanket that was on top of it and flung it over her. "Good night miss military." he said softly. He moved to the bed room, laid on the bed, and went into stand by mode.

Tobius Apartment, yellow
Tobius awoke to one of the loudest noises he had the fortune of hearing. Trying to shake off the tendrils of sleep, he fumbled around until he finally smacked the top of his alarm clock, silencing the god forsaken noise. Rolling out of bed, his blanket following him to the floor, he made his way dazed and confused into the shower. A typical morning in his home, it wasn't until he sat down to read the emails he had missed the day before did things become strange. To say he had missed a lot was an understatement.

Lydia 815-165 lead navigator of the Novum, who had held that position longer then Tobius has been alive and will continue to do so long after he is dead, captain. It didn't sound possible, he was forced to check and recheck the legitimacy of this message until he could no longer hold on to his disbelief. A machine, captain, no one would have believe this possible. AI didn't even have rights, though capable of emotion and thought many still considered these machines as just that. Machines, tools to get a job done, nothing more.

Tobius sat there in his small apartment dumbfounded. The possibility was a daunting one, if she became Captain things would change, how could they not? Though Tobius had the gift of working with many AI even respect them as more then just machine, this was too far. This was calling for outrage, a civil movement, a revolution! Tobius stopped thinking for a moment, a smile slipping on to his face as he replayed that last thought again and again. A revolution, why not? If Lydia became Captain, then AI could actually gain rights. If that happens, who knows what else could. This had to happen, even if Tobius was skeptical of putting an AI in charge he wanted change more then anything else.

If Lydia became Captain....

His face changing from a smile to a scowl. It's to big of an if, he had to find a way to even the odds in favor of her. Breakfast forgotten, the unfinished project waiting in his room forgotten, his adventures the night before forgotten as Tobius was dressed and out the door in moments. His fingers tapped furiously on his his personal tablet as he put in a request to see Vanessa Richardson.

[fieldbox="Lydia 815-165 — Level 4, crimson, solid, 0, Palatino Linotype"]
The night of the celebration fast approached. Lydia had spent the first half of the day pacing around her luxuriously furnished (and seldom used) Level 4 suite, trying to decide what to wear. Clothes and outfits littered the room, and would have continued to do so had she not gotten a sudden alert on her internal commlink that caused her to freeze in place, mid-stride.

An unamused voice snapped at her. "See me in my office. Right now."

The demand shot needles down her mechanical spine. Lydia knew that tone; she dreaded it. Throwing on a red dress and a pair of black peep-toe heels, she hurried to her handler's office. Thoughts raced through her core as she scanned her wrist at the door, waiting for what seemed like an eternity for it to open.

The airlocks clicked off and hissed menacingly as the door slid open, revealing the same dark room that always seemed to consume the light. Hesitantly, she stepped inside, and as always the door closed behind her, wrapping her in darkness.

She stood quietly for an uncomfortable period of time, and with each passing moment the weight of his judging stare grew. Lydia could not see him; she knew he could not see her. But she could sense his anger, seething in the darkness.

"Y-you are upset, sir."

A whoosh of air rushed by as some large object flew past her, slamming against the wall with a resounding CLANG. Lydia dropped to the ground, cowering with her arms over her head as the metallic sound echoed through the room.

"Do you have ANY IDEA how many requests I've gotten for you for this party tonight? ANY at all?! Tonight is going to be the biggest party the Initium Novum has ever seen and my MOST POPULAR ASSET is UNAVAILABLE because IT'S. ABOUT. HER. But what can I tell them? I keep telling them you're 'booked' but they keep countering with higher offers! Some Level Fours are offering me amounts that are practically ANNUAL FUCKING SALARIES!!!"

Lydia let off a whimper in response to her handler's scorn. "But, Mia can--"

"MIA CAN GO EAT A DICK!" His voice boomed, causing Lydia to recede and curl herself even tighter. "They request you because you're the best I've got. You becoming Captain means less time for clients. Less time for clients means you have failed to uphold your end of the bargain. I will NOT HESITATE to terminate you, One-Sixty-Five."

The curled-up mess of the Initium Novum's potential new captain said nothing. Tears streamed from the ducts in her eyes.

Click. The light on the desk in the center of the room flicked on as footsteps approached Lydia and he towered over her. "Androids don't deserve rights. They're man's creation. If I CREATE a lump of shit today, does IT get rights?" He fumed. "Get up."

Lydia let out a frightened whine, too afraid to move.

"I SAID GET UP!" He roared.

Suppressing her sobbing to the best of her ability, she slowly rose to her feet, not even getting an opportunity to look her handler in the eyes before she was struck by his open palm against her face. Caught off guard in the dark, Lydia stumbled and fell back to the ground.

"People are pretty pissed off about you potentially becoming Captain. You better make damn sure you are safe and that nobody harms MY INVESTMENT."

He walked back to his desk, re-seating himself in the chair.

"Get out."

It took several long moments for Lydia to pull herself together and calm her frayed nerves, all while being watched by her handler's heavy gaze. She stumbled outside into the heat of the artificial afternoon, still clearly shaken.

Sniffling, Lydia placed a call over her commlink.

"Yes, Lydi-- Lydia? You look terrible. What happened?" Carter's voice inquired.

Androids did not have the luxury of bruising as a telltale sign of abuse. All Carter would see was a frightened, rattled Navigator. Lydia cleared her throat while attempting to brush it off with a nervous chuckle.

"N-nothing, just a little nervous about the vote, that's all. Listen, Carter, I need to ask you about providing a security detail for me tonight."
[/fieldbox]

Last edited:
Tension
Journalists, news anchors, bloggers, critics, anyone with a media position within the ship jumped on the topic of the new captain. Hits spiked on all websites, including Kilo News, Galactic Times, Stellar Tribune, and the Black Whole. Journalists clamored to get an interview with Lydia, but were stopped by Carter's security forces. She wouldn't be available for any interview until after she was made Captain, although it wasn't confirmed if the android would even give a press conference.

Advertisements for or against her election appeared overnight on blogs, television programs, and even by businesses. Televisions host hotly debated her candidacy, some with propaganda ("Next thing you'll know, we'll want to marry these androids and bear their children") and others with well thought out arguments about Lydia's capabilities and lack of humanity. Polls from news stations forecasted her imminent departure from the bridge entirely, and others wholly supported her - problem was, it was difficult to pinpoint how the population was feeling even with the ship's sophisticated cameras and audio equipment. It was a massive overload of information and the politicians had difficulty rifling through it all.

In the early morning, human and android workers wheeled out the voting booths on all levels in various public locations. The voting machines were converted computers, and according to Vanessa Richardson they would do the job justice. The booths were connected on the same network with a firewall that Richardson created herself; which she considered nothing short of a masterpiece. And as added security, uniformed guards were placed at each booth, stun guns holstered on their hips.

VOTINGMACHINECASTVOTE.jpg

While the guards did encroach on a voter's right to privacy, red synthetic curtains were placed on each voting booth. The voters, which were only humans, merely needed to scan their identification, select their choice on the touch screen, and then hit confirm. Their selection would be sent electronically to the server.

Once set up, the booths opened immediately. Lines formed; some were silent, others tense, but a number of them became violent. Several hours into the election, guards were sent to patrol the lines, marching up and down the levels with their hands on their weapons. It was a tense climate, and one had to wonder if the party would be able to alleviate any of it.

Mark watched through many screens as people filed in and out of the voting booths. He was glad he was simply assigned to be watching cameras most of the day, it would be a fairly stress-less activity with no sense of urgency, the rest of the event was much worse. He had been scrambling about trying to get the booths ready before they were needed. Making sure that they were set up correctly and that the connection to the server was actually secure, and as far as he knew, which was almost without a shadow of a doubt, it was rock solid.

He stood watching the voters move in and out through the slightly tinted view of the security cameras. He was mostly peaceful in his deed, but there was something that was bothering him. Something that was bothering him down to his core. He turned to the human man who had also been assigned to watching screens all day, "Why aren't androids allowed to vote? Especially on the prospect of an android captain?"

The man simply laughed, "Well, how well can we trust your folks decision making on these matters, and can an android even properly be captain?"

Mark looked back at him, anger welling up inside of him. "You trust our decision making abilities on many other tasks.
" He said in a very calm voice, "What type of music to play at a club, how to keep the elevators running, how to police this ship, and hell, even how to keep the engines going and the life support on. Why would we not be able to captain this ship, or at the very least vote for one." He still managed to keep his voice quite and his tone neutral.

"It just isn't really right. I mean, we made you guys. How could we let you tell us what to do? As far as we know you don't even feel emotion properly."

Mark just couldn't do it any more. He scoffed,
"Think that you made us, that we can't feel emotion?" His fists slowly balled into fists. "I made this body! No man alive did that! I did!" He was almost yelling now, "And this anger I feel right now, this, this is as real as it gets! As real as the hope I feel when I look out into the inky darkness and the endless stars thinking that we will find a new home, and the joy I have when I listen to my music, and no man, woman, or android has any right to tell me that that is not something I have. Not something real." He turned to face the man and pointed his finger at him, "And you are no fucking different!" He shouted the last few words before calming down slightly and turning to watch the screens in silence.

Reactions: LVL1337N00B and Zen
The Slums, red
Seth grunted under the onslaught of wood or metal, it was getting hard to distinguish the two as he focused on keep the important parts of him safe. There was a tent, a crash and the beatings ceased. Seth kept his head low and covered, his eyes closed as he waited for whatever Eddie had planned next. But it wasn't Eddie that spoke. It was a woman and she mocked Eddie and his men. She was either really stupid or really confident, either way in a four on one fight, that spelled disaster.

Eddie smirked as he faced the woman, "Someone as pretty as you should know not to interfere n the affairs of men. Guess we'll have to show you where your proper place is, on your knees surrounded by us." The others chuckled and Eddie continued, "Besides, bitch, it's four on one."

"Two," Seth grunted and Eddie turned around to see Seth push himself to his feet, "Four on two," he repeated as he wiped blood from his lip and spat on the ground. Everything under his shoulders ached terribly but Seth was not about to let this woman he taken advantage of for stepping in on his behalf. Seth raised his fists and winced, one of his ribs might have been fractured.

Eddie laughed, "You can barely lift your hands," wen Seth didn't budge, Effie's humor vanished and he pointed angrily at Seth, "I'm going to kick your ass and then when I'm done," he turned and pointed at the woman, "The five of us are going to have a good time."

Seth didn't wait. Before Eddie could turn around and begin his assault, Seth struck first. He moved fast and kidney shot Eddie. Seth added a bonus bit of pain wit a dark spell.(2 mana) Eddie cried out and fell forward toward the woman. The man who had been thrown and another started right for the woman. While the fourth man attacked Seth.

Seth figured he had moments before Eddie got up so he had to take out the other guy quickly. The man had a chair leg and swung it at Seth. He blocked with his forearms and cringe as pain shot up his side. Definitely cracked. Seth closed in and struck the man hard before he landed a blow hard into the man's gut. Seth repeated the same spell and that man doubled over dropping his weapon. (2 mana)

Seth quickly picked it up and swung it against the man's head knocking him out. He moved quickly over to Eddie and started wailing on the man with the chair leg. Eddie cried out for him to stop. Seth saw red. Eddie almost ruined his chance to earn enough money to pay for his mothers meds for months. Fuck mercy.

Celyn & Artemis:Level 3 Apartments
Celyn blinked slowly, opening her eyes to the faint light of the room around her. Her head throbbed, a pulsating in the very back of her skull that felt like somebody was hammering against her brain. Ugh, what did I do to myself? She thought, forcing herself to sit upright, despite her body's protesting, the blanket that was laid over her body falling as she moved. Her spine made a small cracking noise as she did so, causing her to wince.

The couch she laid upon was unfamiliar, and as she turned her gaze outwards to the room, she found it too unfamiliar. She attempted to think back to the previous nights events, but her memory of the night was cloudy and muddled. She remembered the bar, with it's cheesy disco theme and the sappy drinks, the group of cops and military officials that had come together, and Artemis- Artemis! He must have brought her here. Not a single other damn person on this ship would care enough for her to bring her home, not even skeezy level one scumbags. The android must, then, be in this apartment as well.

"Artemis?!" She called out, balling up the blanket and tossing it onto the other end of the couch as she climbed unsteadily to her feet. "Artemis, you better be in here, or I swear I'll dismember you piece by shiny piece when I find you!" Her voice cracked as she spoke. She started to wander the apartment cautiously, the pounding in her head making the world spin around her feet. She had to hold onto other objects in the room just to steady herself as she walked.

"Stand by mode terminated. Call for help recognized." an internal speaker sounded from another room. Artemis shot form the bed and opened the door to his room. "I am here Celyn. Please calm down." he said quietly.

The android helped the clearly drunken woman back to the couch. "I'll get you some water." he moved to the tap, the sound of rushing water breaking the silence, and filled a glass for her. He grabbed a trash can placed it next to her and handed her the water. "This is my apartment. You were pretty hammered last night and I figured your CO wouldn't be to happy if you showed up drunk, so here you are." he explained. Artemis paused for a moment as he watched the woman rub her temples. "I, uh, I didn't do anything to you if that is what you are thinking." he hesitated.

Celyn took the glass, taking a small sip of the cool water. "Sorry... I was just alarmed... It's not everyday you wake up in somebody else's apartment, right?" She said, rubbing at her eyes briefly before looking up at Artemis. "And my CO and go suck it, for all I care..." She sighed and leaned back on the couch, finding it to be rather comfortable, and tilting her head back against the back of the couch in an attempt to alleviate the strain in her head. She couldn't believe she let herself get that drunk last night. Not out in public. It wasn't like she had anything else she was supposed to be doing, but it wasn't normally how she found herself spending her free time, either.

"I didn't do anything stupid, did I? Be honest with me. I'm not gonna threaten to tear you to pieces again, I promise." She spoke quietly, lifting her head to look at the him directly. She found that as long as she was focused on something, the spinning seemed to ease to faint dizziness. "And I promise not to hurl all over your nice apartment. I'm a girl that can hold her alcohol... Mostly."

Artemis's voice went robotic. "Checking laws... checking... No you did not commit any illegal activity last night," he said coldly. His voice returned to normal. "Though downing the amount of drinks you did was very stupid." he laughed. He rubbed the back of his neck. "Uh, if you want to shower it's just past the kitchen." he pointed to a door. "Though I don't have soap or anything being an android and all, but you are more than welcome to use it." he glanced her.

"I should probably just wait until I can stop at my own home.. I'll need to get something new to wear. I really shouldn't be prancing around in yesterday's clothes." She said, tentatively drinking more of the water. She didn't exactly stink, but old clothing never smelled the greatest, plus her shirt was wrinkled beyond belief. It was one of the many materialistic things that Celyn managed to find herself caring about. This better not come back up, she thought to herself. Even though Artemis was an android, and probably wouldn't care, she didn't want to embarrass herself here. For some strange reason, she minded.

The idea came to her mind suddenly, like striking a match and seeing the instantly appearing flame. They probably had several hours to kill before they had to get to the work, depending on what time it was currently, and some part of her didn't want to spend it alone. Normally it wouldn't be a problem for her, but lately, she'd been passing 'normal' off. She wanted to have something to do for the next few hours. "Actually, you know what? I'll head over to my house now, and then we can ... I dunno. Go out or something. Gotta kill time until that damn party, right?"

"G-go out? You mean like on a date?" he pointed to himself and didn't quiet know how to processes the question. A hum could be heard coming from the android "Processing request... no logged response... processing solutions..." A few moments went past as Artemis was frozen there. "Yes Celyn, I would love to go on a date with you, though I don't think I can offer you the love you are looking for... at least not yet." he began to move again. "Damn proxy program. I didn't mean it like that Celyn. I mean I would be honored to be your boyfriend." Artemis was frazzled and at a complete loss of words. He stood up and turned his back on her. "Forgive me I have never encountered a woman of your caliber before." he sounded ashamed.

Celyn's face began to flush a light red as the flustered android spoke. She hadn't quite meant her words that way, but the android must have picked it up as being so. She had inadvertently asked an android, an android she just met and became friends with, to be her boyfriend, and to go out on a date. She wasn't sure what to say either, now, in the awkward situation. "Well... ah... Uhm. You don't need to be so harried- let's just.. not rush things?" She began. How could she explain herself without rejecting Artemis? "I meant we could go out and.. do stuff, I guess."

Wait just do stuff? Like Just go out and have fun? Artemis's shoulders sank an inch and he breathed a sigh of relief. "I'm so sorry. I take things literally sometimes just comes with being an android. Yes Celyn I would like to go out and do stuff with you." his voice was still a bit shaken. No human had ever made act this way before, and it was a strange feeling. "But I mean if you want me to be your boyfriend, I would certainly out class any male on this ship." he was being half serious. Artemis wanted to spend time with her which was odd because he never really wanted to spend time with anyone. He found himself to disconnected from humans and other androids never really made good conversation.

Celyn laughed her hearty laugh again, a smile back on her face. "I'm sure you do," she said. She found her way to her feet again, finishing the water in the glass before putting it in the sink of the kitchen. A vast majority of the dizziness seemed to have ebbed away, leaving only the headache. "Come on. I wanna stop at my house and shower. Is there like a uniform we're supposed to wear for this party or can I just wear whatever?" she spoke mostly to herself, but perhaps to the android too. She folded the blanket up before gesturing to the door of the apartment. "After you."

The interior of the young woman's apartment was small, but looked decent enough. The door opened into the small den, with it's couch and recliner and large holographic television set. The kitchen opened into the living room, and two doors led off from the living room; the bathroom and her bedroom. A few items were scattered here and there, a jacket, a book, etc. but otherwise it was generally cleaned up and neat.

"Nice place you have here." Artemis looked around the room it was much more lived in then his apartment. "So I was thinking about your fashion dilemma and why not just wear casual military wear? I mean we will be on duty, but we it would look strange if we came in full uniform armed to the teeth in war medals and honor badges." he chuckled.

"Like I have any badges and medals," she scoffed. She began to pull clothing from a drawer; typical on-duty garb for her not-so-jobby-job. "I guess my normal stuff will work. Looks formal enough for on the job wear. They certainly can't expect me to wear much else. Can't believe they chose me to do party-duty.. Not the trainees, not the new recruits; me!" She sighed and made her way into her small bathroom, stopping as she pushed the door open to glance back at Artemis. "I'll be right out. No need to peek, right?" She winked playfully before disappearing into the room.

Fifteen minutes later, the young woman reappeared, dressed in her fresh clothing, her hair damp and hanging around her shoulders. She had her towel hanging over her shoulder, squeezing out droplets of water from the ends of her hair before shaking the towel out and draping it over the back of the couch. "Hey. You ready to go?"

"Well you clean up nicely." If he had a jaw it would surely be slightly open. He scanned her up and down for a few moments before realizing how rude he was being. "Yes of course, but where are going?" he tilted his head.

"Uhmm.. well... That part I haven't figured out yet." She said. She didn't seem to be bothered by Artemis' words, or even seemed to have noticed them. "I don't really go out often, you know? I spend most of my introverted, quiet life in this very apartment. So yeah. Any good restaurants or dive bars that are out there have mostly passed my notice by."

"Well miss introvert want to just order in then?" he pointed to his wrist com. "The boys down at the station talk about this amazing Chinese place over of 3rd street, my treat?" he was excited, but didn't understand why. He could eat anything and for all he knew she hated Asian food. "But I mean if you want to got out and get something we could..." he tried to cover his excitement.

"Ordering in.. and Chinese.. sounds great." She said with a smile. "Chinese food, a delicacy since the days on a real planet! Do they still have those little fortune cookies, or will I have to refer to the disco bar for anything culturally old?" She joked, leaning back against the wall as she ran her fingers through her damp hair.

"They do indeed have fortune cookies!" he opened his communicator and ordered for Celyn. She frowned at him and he shook his head. "Should be about 15 minutes." Artemis explained, a happy tone in his voice.
"Forgive me Celyn there is no real reason to my question, but I offer you one in return. What happens if you do fall in love with android? Would it be exploitation?" I'ts funny, most humans would have told Artemis to piss off if he asked anything about their personal lives. "I did not mean to offend simply an ice breaker of sorts. If you would like you may ask me an equally awkward question."

"No, no it's fine. Hmm.." Celyn took a few moments to contemplate the question. It wasn't something she spent a lot of her time thinking about. "I don't think that's exploitation. No harm in falling in love, and if it's mutual, then.. that's a different story. Mutual feelings aren't exploitation. It's only so if you take advantage of it." She felt rather proud of her response, offering a soft smile. "Weirdest ice breaker I've ever heard, though. Okay, here's my question: What about androids being put in positions of power? Is that exploitation?"

"No I believe it is not exploitation. We androids are programmed with exact guidlines for what me must do. Man makes us who we are therefore if an android was in a postion of power we would be doing the bidding of humans. I, for example, am programmed with protecting the weak and keeping the piece failure to do so will resault in termination." he said with great belief. "Truth be told I always thought I would be a good chief." he look at the cream colored carpet. "Would you mind having an android in a position of power?" he looked at her with a soft stare.

"No. Well, if it's an AI with any sense to it. I mean, you have to be able to manage that position of power. But no, just because somebody is an android doesn't make me feel that they don't deserve the position." She said. "You've heard of that Lydia chick, right? Everyone's freaking out over the whole new captain thing. I don't care. I mean, sure, let her be captain. I don't know who's gonna be navigator if she's captain, but I don't mind her being there." She sat forward to stretch out her back, another soft chink being heard as she did.

Artemis was pleased with her answer, but then a question popped into his head. This question tunred into a statement, a statment that plused through his core to his vocal circuits. "D-do you think you could ever love an android Celyn?" his eyes twitched. What was happening? Why did he ask? It felt like none of his actions were his own. His mind was racing trying to think of as many outcomes as possible so he could defend against them.

Celyn was again found shocked and alarmed with the androids questioning. Why would he ask such a thing? He wasn't still stuck on the incident from earlier, was he? She raced through her mind trying to understand the cause of his words, but came to no conclusions- she wasn't an android like Artemis, after all, and didn't have processors and computers to run her mind. She wasn't even sure how to answer a question like that without giving him the wrong impression.

She took a deep breath and readied herself for her response before looking at Artemis. "I suppose I could. But love is a fickle thing. It would take time for me to love anybody, android or not. And then there are those androids that have no interest in talking to anybody, with those it might be a little harder to fall in love. But otherwise, why not?"

"Well I-" Artemis was about to bring up his defense when there was a knock at the door, must be the food. He quickly got up, ejecting himself from the awkward conversation, and got the door. He payed the delivery man quickly, grabbed the food, and ducked back inside. Celyn's eyes seemed to light up when the steaming food was brought to her. "I hope you like it." Artemis tried to avoid the elephant in the room. Maybe if he just didn't talk about his question she would forget it ever happened.

Kallen - Level 4, #ff3333
[spacer]It was the next morning and Kallen wasn't waking up pleasantly. A migraine already taking hold, she brings her human hand up to her forehead as she rubbed it vigorously, groaning out, "God damn.. Yesterday sure was weird.." She sighed, getting up from her bed only wearing pajama pants in her room, the rest of her pretty open in the air. Scuffling her hair with her cybernetic hand she grumbled as she walked towards the bathroom, washing up as she also wiped her face with water, helping her wake up. She had a few light bruises, but luckily nothing too bad. Her cybernetic arm was pretty scratched up, clenching the fist here and there as she looked at it. Shaking her head with a half-hearted grin but a solemn look to her face, Kallen sighs as she leans over the sink, "What a night.. To think I'd be doing something like that.. Ah well, I don't regret it." [/spacer]

Kallen smirked as she stood there, leaning on one leg as an arm stayed on her hip, "You've got some big bearings making a demand like that.. Even if it's four on one I'm pretty sure I can handle a bunch of scum like you. And hell, I bet your limp dicks wouldn't be able to do anything to me anyways." And then Seth reacted, picking himself up on his feet. Soon after, he and Eddie started to fight, and two of his goons already went to jump her. Clenching and releasing her metal fist, she ducked down and lunged forward at the man in front of her heading her way, blocking his attack with the broadside of her arm, likely hurting his fist as she turns to come in with her own, coming up against his chin. Shaking her hand a bit, she grins as she then turns to see the one she threw came at her with the trash can. Swinging her cybernetic arm backwards, she clashed it against the can which made both the man and her recoil a bit before she comes in with a forward kick, knocking him to the floor and the trash can falling onto him.

The man that she cracked against the jaw came up behind her and tried putting her in a hold, seeming to work as she called out in anger. Bad choice on his part, as before he was about to let his friends come at her in time to recover, Kallen smirks a bit as she gives him an evil look, "You do realize I have a metal arm built for some strength, right?" She laughed a bit as she nudged it free enough to move, sending an elbow backwards into his gut, calling out rather toyfully, "Kidney shot.." She'd do it and say it again two more times as the man took it, his breath escaping him wheezily, "And pause..." His grip loosened enough for her to escape him, almost buckling down to the ground until she came up with an uppercut, "Stomach punch." That caused the man to cough pretty hard, now near breathless as he was paralyzed to the floor. The other just managed to get back up and rolled the trash can off of him to see it, picking up a piece of debris that was sharp on the ground and tried to lunge at her. She was prepared for it, but suddenly a fierce barking could be heard as another can rattles elsewhere, a very pissed off dog appearing, snarling at the man. Looking like it had rabies, it likely frightened the man as it threatened to jump him as it twitched forward, barking. The man dropped his weapon and scrambled away, screaming, just before the dog flickered in and out. It was a hologram from Flint who came out of the corner and let it vanish, berating the fleeing man with its beeps and woos.

Laughing quite heavily, Kallen shakes her head as she watched, catching her breath as she wipes away dirt from her face. "Damn.. Rough bunch, but I'm glad you were there Flint.." Her smile dropped as she looked to check on Seth, who to her surprise was repeatedly beating on the man that was causing the trouble in the first place. Approaching him slowly, she barks out a bit, "Hey hey, come on.. I think he gets the message." She'd even put her metal hand on Seth's shoulder firmly but gently incase he didn't hear her, and likely ready if he tried to lash out in anger. "I think he's had enough."

. . . . . .

[spacer]By then, Flint came in, landing atop her shoulder and chattering away. She smiles and laughs a bit, petting the top of its chassis, "Yeah.. I'm fine Flint, thanks for asking. Come on.. I've got breakfast to make. Clear my schedule for today, we've got that party and voting to handle anyways.." That stopped her a bit as she headed out of the bathroom. That's right.. The voting was happening today, for whether or not this ship will allow an android to be captain. It was a lot to take in, but for the most part she didn't care about politics and the like, but it did unnerve her quite a bit when it was announced. She was all for it, but with how society currently is.. They'd have to give up alot to accept the change if Lydia got Captain. It would pave way for much more than just a vote. Soon problems would happen, conflicts rising between human and androids alike, either to one another and their own. A rough road has been laid down now, and the entirety of this ship now has the choice to pave its direction. Question is.. Where will it lead everyone? Will we be able to accept this, or will it destroy us? It was a lot to contemplate on this engineer's mind, but it wasn't something she could decide, so she headed down the stairs without dressing and prepared herself breakfast.[/spacer]

Concordia

"It needs more colour," Concordia demanded.

Around her, her club was being transformed. Even her control booth had been lavishly decorated - and so far, all within budget. PA buzzed around her, communicating the instructions to the small army of simple androids who worked the club. Catering was the only thing being done externally.

While her team worked on the decorations and stock, Concordia worked on her set list. There was nothing particularly new trending - the chart looked very similar to the previous week - except for one artist who had risen from 87 to 12 and appeared to be continually rising. Concordia took a moment to listen to some samples of their music and tried to hide her disdain. People's taste seemed to be getting worse.

There were a few new guests - the type that hadn't visited Club Concord before - and their tastes broke the mold. She felt sorry for them. They would spend the evening deferring to the sounds the masses liked. Ordinarily when someone was out of place, she would send one of her staff droids to offer them a drink and the names of alternative venues. She couldn't do that this evening.

This evening, there was no alternative. Club Concord was it.

Perhaps she could include a few deviations to try and appeal to everyone at least once, if not all at the same time. Would it be better to bundle them into a section of the night, or spread them out to one every ten tracks.

She hadn't been designed to cater for minorities but for the good of the club she -

"Hey," a voice interrupted her thoughts. "You must be my boss for tonight."

Rowan Ward - Level 3 - Ro's Place, #C8B9A6
Rowan sat on her bed, sliding on her boots and then a seldom worn jacket that completed her uniform. Under normal circumstances she'd claim it was better to go without, so she could blend in better and not spook a perp before she could get ahold of him. For this party, she figured that would be the idea; Scare the slimebags into inactivity. The shiny red arm coupled with the standard copper-wear would do the job well enough, that particular appendage still clearly visible due to a required alteration (Cut off sleeve).

Her hair was still wet from her morning shower, the mess of dripping red hanging just over her shoulders and down the back of her neck a bit. Her forehead was only a few shades lighter than it, having been bashed into the shower wall a few times in an attempt to rid herself of the feeling that some tiny construction crew was jackhammering away at her skull.

Rowan reached for her hair with the intent of fixing it up in her usual way, but paused for a moment and instead ran her fingers through the thick and slightly damp mess.

"Fuck it", she thought aloud, going instead to gather up her gear and head out. Today was a special day, why not do something different?

Rowan Ward - Entertainment Hub - Club Concord, #C8B9A6
"Hope the job is as easy as you are on the eyes", she went on with her usual boldness, leaning over with one steely elbow on Concordia's booth, chin resting on her cool palm.

The little smirk on the woman's somewhat scarred face turned downward into a frown just as suddenly as it had appeared, remembering the big decision to be made today. Regardless of whether or not Lydia was granted the right to take the captain's seat, there was bound to be trouble. People were going to yell, throw hissy fits, fight.

"Got a feelin' my job is gonna get a whole lot more fun after tonight", Rowan groaned, her head turning to watch the 'droids at work making the Concord pretty. The thought did all but the opposite of helping her with that nasty hangover, which may have been made obvious by a knotted brow and a reddened eye that almost matched the cybernetic housed in the opposite socket. The half-metal officer rubbed her forehead briefly before glancing back toward Concordia.

"Say, why don'tcha play Cold Inferno for me sometime tonight?", she asked with a wink, brushing her hair behind her ear. If no one else understood, she was sure Concordia would. Rifling through music was a big part of the lady's job, chances were she'd have happened across that forgotten gem about one man's desire for a synthetic woman.

Guy was stricken with a bad case of robo-fever, burning up for the cold touch of an elusive android with legs for miles and a classy but undeniably seductive way about her. The way the lead told it in his self-written piece, this one was a hard ten.

Rowan grinned.

Last edited:
"Hey Z its me...again. Look I don't know where you are or what's going on but if you've seen the news you should know what's happening today. I just...look if things start to heat up I just want you to lay low...seems you have been doing that pretty well so far. Anyways, hope to see you soon. X O. Bye."

Every morning Sarah had called Z, twice, once to check and once to leave a message. And still there was some feeling of defeat when he did not answer, in seven years he had never missed a call from her, and now she felt like she was yelling into space and expecting an answer. Work yesterday had been just busy enough to drown out the anger and sorrow for being permanently banned from hovercross. Alright yes there were worse things that could have happened but she was having a tough time with that line of thinking as she kept thinking back on the fact that the only way she knew how to make a living, aside from working shitty jobs in retail, was now an invalid option. After work she had seriously considered heading to the closest bar to drown her problems in the cheapest liquor that money could buy.

But she didn't. As to why, well, the answer to that was wedged part way between responsibility, stubbornness, worry, and shitty morals. So in the end she had opted for the less preferred route of heading home, taking a strong sleep aid, and fall dead asleep. The big day came around far to early and Sarah dragged herself out of a comatose state to deal with a particularly stubborn alarm system. Outside of her small apartment she could here people chattering loudly, already getting pumped for the party. Although if she had managed to pull herself together and bothered to listen she might have heard the sour undertones that some of the voices carried.

A shower turned out to be a pretty effective cure and after her morning call to Z she jumped under the leaky spigot and let the cold water wake her up, jumping out after only a few minutes so that she didn't freeze her tits off. When she got out of the shower she could hear her phone ringing from the bed room. Toweling off as she moved her hand found the touch screen that was built directly into the wall and to her disappointment it was her managers voice that came through loud and clear.

"Sarah! Listen how would you feel about doing a short demo today?" Tom said, sounding a little to eager.

"Dude its a holiday." She said unamused.

"You'll be paid compensation, it's just for an hour or two. We have Michael up but Casey dropped out on us."

"Uh, fine, fine. I will be there in like, fifteen minutes."

"Awesome, and hey you still have that X model hanging around? 'Cause it would be quite a show if you brought that."

"No, I have the R9 remember?"

"Right, well, see you soon." With that he hung up and left Sarah to get ready in relative silence. Since now she knew that she was going to be doing something more than just cruising around she pulled on tough form fitting athletic pants, and a tee-shirt accompanied by a slightly padded jacket made of something called Profletch. The jacket was a bit unnecessary but parents tended to like to see that not all hoverboarders were Shock taking, thrill seekers. The last touch were a pair of emergency bracers, that just looked like a pair of thick bangles, and her boarding shoes. With seven minutes left to get there she headed for the door, grabbing her board from where it was plugged in by the door and headed out.

Seven minutes and yet she still found time for one little thing before heading to work. She got there early enough that it only took a couple minutes for her to reach the booth to cast her vote. And once she reached the booth it only took her a second to make her decision.

She voted for the Captain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zen
Concordia

Cold Inferno.

A quick search brought up a sample. It was released before her time. A love song about a human and an AI. She noted Rowan's grin.

"That song has fallen out of public favour," Concordia informed Rowan. "However, I am making some exceptions tonight anyway." Her mouth twitched into a smile. "So I'll see what I can do, Officer."

She glanced over Rowan's shoulder and immediately felt the need to interrupt the progress being made. "No, PA, not that colour. Refer to your briefing please." The small round bot hummed and whirred and set about stopping the decorating androids to amend its instructions to them. Satisfied it was happening as she envisaged, she returned her attention to the cyborg.

"Do you think there will be much trouble?"

Artemis and Celyn talked for hours about android rights and their views on the subject. The artificial day turned into dusk. *Beep* *Beep* *Beep* Artemis's wrist communicator began to sound "Wow is it that late already? Forgive me Celyn, but I need to head out. You are not the only one who needs to look good at this party." he joked. Celyn stood up and stuck out her hand "Well it was nice hanging with you Artemis, and thank you for the food." she smiled. Artemis shook her hand and left "See you at the party!" she called after him.

The android returned home, buffed his armor, pressed his cape, and put on a magnetic bow-tie. "Alright officer lets do this!" he psyched himself up. He left and began to make his way to Club Concord.

The Day Before The Party
Screenshot_2014-07-03-22-01-48-1-1-1_zps6bb55e02.jpg

Lights flickered in the back of the abandoned shop, giving a more ominous feel to the detestable location. Slender fingers tapped against the top of the steel desk, complimented with a sigh that escaped from the mysterious figure's lips. A few seconds of silence ensued after the gesture before a loud sliding sound was made. Black, gloved hands wrapped themselves around the sides of the mask. A sly grin the came upon the face of woman as she stroked the sides of the mask as if it were a precious relic.

"A masterpiece of Magi-Tech... one charge into this device shall make my speech choppy, robotic, and incapable of recognition for three hours... all I need to keep my persona a secret."

A giggle sounded through the abandoned establishment, and was then followed up by a loud cackle. The mask was then placed on her face, shaking slightly as it was charged with it's vessels internal mana (Mana Cost: 1). Hands patted at the hips, making sure that the AM bomb, sequence re-assembler, and pulsar were in their respective places.

"Time to get to work..."

c_47_slums_by_n8package-d41ocgv.jpg

A sour expression was what was behind the mask as the woman left the confines of her temporary headquarters. Everything upon her level was dull, ugly, and shattered. On her way to the inter-level tram she passed the shady club known as Lady Luck.

"A detestable site within my domain... as soon as I rid the ship of the threat to all of us, I will handle this nasty establishment accordingly... this place shall be a utopia to all within."

By the time she finished her statement, she was already at the tram. Entering into the vessel caused many heads to turn but she did not care. They would all thank her afterwards.

As soon as the tram came to a stop at the Level 2 station the figure instantly left her seat and went out the door, her eyes scanning around for the shop of the engineer who was known for her skills, especially in making Mechs. An even sized sign displayed the name" Gears." This was the place. Loud footsteps were heard against the metallic floor of Level 2 as the woman quickly approached the leader of those working on the large machine in front of her.

"I need you."

"What? Can't you see I-"

"I'll pay you three times as much for this thing."

"....Come on in."

The two walked inside and entered the office of RJ, a rather annoyed look on the engineer's face.

"What do yo-"

The slap of a device on the table was the answer to the question she couldn't render in words (Mana Point: 3). A few seconds passed, and a silent buzzing sound was heard as all the lights within the office shut off. The only thing illuminating the area were the red dots upon the mysterious figure's face. The red dots turned back to the door, making sure that it was shut soundly.

"Anti-Magic bombs, or AM bombs for short. Powered by internal mana, this device will keep it's charge as long as it hasn't been used after being filled by an individual's mana. The ring at the bottom of this grand mechanism is where it is charged. The mana will be absorbed inside and only be expended if it is hit against a hard surface. The energy within will overload, causing the device to give a large discharge of mana. Crystals that have not been made to withstand this bomb's energy, which are most, shall fizzle and lose their light for about five minutes. All devices powered by the mana crystals that were hit with the discharge shall shut off and be unusable for the amount of time the light is off. I know this sounds like a hard concept, but take the one on the table and replicate it about twenty times. 7,000 credits plus triple the amount for the Mech outside is what you will be paid."

The lights fizzled and expended their brightness once more, making the masked figure smirk. Her right hand grasped the pulsar at her hip. It was brought up and pointed in the direction of RJ.

"So... do we have a deal, or would you like to meet death here?"

RJ clenged her jaw in annoyance. How could anyone possibly dare to tell her the job she has to do. But, before she even gathered up a decent amount of insults, the price was brought into the question and she relaxed, straightening up. "7,000 Credits plus triple the amount for mecha?" Her eyes darted towards the bomb and she grinned, leaning back against the chair.
"I was indeed about to send you flying out with my best regards, BUT!" She took out the cigarette and calmly lighten it up, seemingly ignoring the threat. "It would be nice to be paid a decent amount of credits for once."

She pulled in and released the cloud of smoke, before smirking back to the newcomer.

"Now, now. That is not the way for quality negotiating now, is it? Somebody might get hurt and that wouldn't be the best thing that could happen to either of us."

RJ chuckled and leaned against the table maintaining an eye contact.
"Besides, hot-shot. If I got paid for every time I was threatened one way or another, do you really think I would still be in this dump? Trust me, it is nothing new to me. I know how it is done."

She hesitated, studying the bomb.

"Impressive."

The challenge and credits were tempting enough and she didn't take long to answer.

She got up and tossed the cigarette aside.

"Quarter of a million for mecha and I will make sure it has everything you need, 7,000 c's for bomb replics AND..."

RJ walked around the table and took the hat off the hanger, putting it on.

"...leave my team and me out of any prosecutions because I work for money, not somebodies ideals."

She turned towards her potential customer and raised up hand to shake firmly.

"You do that, and you got yourself a fine deal."

Patiently, she waited for decision.

The mysterious figure looked at the hand in front of her before soundly putting her pulsar away back into it's pocket upon her waist. Deals that she made with various others were usually rocky in the process but this one went oddly well. The only problem that she had with agreement was the large sum of credits that she would have to pay for the Mech, but somehow she would make it work. Her right hand grasped that of RJ's tightly, before shaking it hard.

"The 7,000 credits can be paid to you right now but the quarter of a million shall be divided up into twenty five 10,000 credits bonds to look less suspicious. 10,000 credits a week will easily be lost in the many transactions that go on each day, or the banks will just assume that it is some Level 4 individual doing that. And I assure you, no one in this facility will be under any risk. If we both come under any heat we shall cut ties and you will destroy all the bombs you own. Any suspicion from another source will stop me funding you."

After she let go of RJ's hand the woman turned to the desk before the two, looking around for something in particular. As soon as she found what she needed she picked it up, taking the pencil out of the coils that connected all of the sheets. It only took her a few seconds to right down her contact information. The word Ater was written across the top, with the number to the comm system within her suit.

"I will only reply with text messages. No voice contact shall happen. that'll only endanger us both. Now boss, how do you like these terms? Are they OK or do I gotta play doctor with you to agree with these?"

RJ lifted the piece of paper and studied it for a bit before nodding. She assumed it wasn't the first time this person did things like these. Only for that, she made herself believe her words.

"Indeed. I don't see why not?"

She smirked on the sarcastic 'boss' reference and put the paper in her pocket.

"The 'boss' is really pleased with our little deal here. And you got yourself the best 'bomb hooker' there is."

She chuckled and moved her hair aside, saluting casually.

"Bonds, decent payment, security, texting contact. I do feel like a hooker."

With that she laughed and nodded.

"But for a good cause. Credits."

RJ darted her eyes and narrowed them towards her customer.

"Pleasure doing business with you."

She smirked lightly.

Only a nod was a response to RJ's last sentence. Ater exited the shop, looking at the Mecha to her side before smiling slightly.

"That was very nice..."

The Bunker
Luckily for Lydia, most of the security planning for the night was already taken care of, giving Carter some extra time. After the call, he made his way to the Bunker where he instructed the android to meet him, waiting just outside for her arrival. Along the way he made a few calls to set things up. She was right to be afraid. No telling who might want to ensure she wasn't elected.

After a short while, the elevator doors opened to reveal Lydia, and standing in a cramped, secure corridor was Carter. Not far behind him was a large metal bulkhead with two armed guards. This would be the closest that anyone could ever get to the Bunker, without clearance.

Carter gave a small smile in greeting to the would-be Captain, and extended his hand to shake.

"Hello Lydia. It's a pleasure to finally meet you in person."

Lydia nodded towards him, forcing a smile though still shaken up from her earlier meeting with her handler. Placing her hand in his, she allowed Carter to shake it gently before releasing. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you as well, Carter."

The android's eyes gazed over her surroundings - in all her years of service she had never seen the Bunker. "Is there a particular reason you wanted to meet me here?"

"As a matter of fact, there is."

Carter turned towards the guards and the door, and swiped a keycard from his pocket on the keypad. The pad lit up, and after a moment, a loud buzz rang out. The mechanisms inside the bulkhead could be heard as they were set into motion.

"Come with me," he said as he cocked his head back towards her.

As the door opened, one of the guards spoke out.

"Sir. Guests are strictly forbidden past this door, even if-" he was cut off by his superior.

"If you want to keep your job soldier, then I suggest you forget that you ever saw us. Clear?"

The guard went quiet, and looked away. Carter began walking through the long corridor, which would eventually lead into the Council's conference room.

For a moment, Lydia feared. What could they possibly be doing that would require Carter to threaten someone just to let her pass? Could it be an early assassination attempt? Lydia didn't figure Carter to be the type, but she prepared for the worst. Instinctively, she reached for her pocket to take a hold of her knife, before realizing she was in a dress and therefore did not have it on her.

Now on edge, especially given the uncomfortable situation she had just been in before coming here, Lydia proceeded to follow Carter into the corridor with growing unease.

Stepping through one final bulkhead, Carter led the frightened AI into the Council conference room. It was deserted aside from the two of them, with another bulkhead on the opposite side of the room.

A large oval shaped table with a holo-projector in the middle was set in the center of the spacious white-walled room. Twelve nearly identical seats were placed around the table; each chair as their unique symbol to represent the Councilmembers.

Carter remained silent as they entered, allowing Lydia time to look around if she liked. He walked around to the opposite side of the conference table, and sat in his chair, propping his feet up. With a smile, he motioned to the chair at one end of the table. The Captain's chair.

"Have a seat."

Carter's relaxed demeanor helped settle her edginess, but Lydia remained alert. As her eyes scanned across the interior of the conference room, she was met with mixed feelings. On the one hand she was pleased - excited, even - to be able to see this bit of the Initium Novum's history, but at the same time was still unsure of Carter's motivations and wished she could have seen it on better terms.

Lydia approached the Captain's chair, but hesitated before sitting in it as asked. Standing behind the chair, her hands rested against the top of the seat back as she eyed the Military Representative. "Carter, what's this about?"

Carter gazed at her, wanting for her to sit. A smirk came across his face as he rested his head on his hand, just staring at her. He looked quite comfortable and pleased.

"Lydia the AI. One of the oldest, if not THE oldest AI on the ship. One of the most attractive too, if I had to pick." His smirk widened. "In less than 24 hours, that seat you're standing by could belong to you. What's this about? I wanted you to experience it at least once, just in case you're dead by then."

Lydia nodded slowly in response, processing Carter's words as she slowly seated herself in the Captain's chair. As she settled into the seat, her fears quickly subsided as an immense sense of pride washed over her. Emerald eyes looking across the table and the other chairs eventually settled on Carter. "I'm... flattered, I think?"

He chuckled at her for a moment, before standing up and walking towards her.

"I don't envy you Lydia. I find myself wondering if you fully grasp the weight of your situation. Though given how worried you looked earlier on the call, I'll just assume that you do. You're brave at least. You'll need to be after tonight, win or lose."

Carter sat on the table next to the AI, and smiled down at her. His one eye focused on hers.

"Personally, I don't care if you're an AI or human. All I care about is whether you'll be a good Captain or not. I hope the old man knows what he's doing by picking you, and isn't just trying to win the heart of a pretty face."

He brought his hand up and gently grasped her chin.

"But I guess that isn't any of my business, right?"

Lydia was not pleased with the implications of Carter's comment. Standing up swiftly from the Captain's chair, she took a deep breath before focusing on Carter's smug smirk.

"Xavier is statistically the best Captain the Initium Novum has ever had. I trust his judgment, and so should you. So should everyone. Thank you for your 'concern,' Carter - but you're right. It really isn't your business."

The smirk on his face grew.

"Or maybe he already has won your heart."

He stood, and made his way back towards the door from which they came.

"Keep that fire burning, Lydia. I promise, you will need it. My men will have arrived by now. They are a couple of the best I have to offer. Consider it a token of my support for you as captain."

Lydia nodded, allowing the gravity of the situation to sink in once again. "Thank you, Carter." Her words were genuine, despite her dislike for his comments earlier.

They both made their way back down the corridor, and entered the elevator taking them back down to level 4. When the doors opened, two soldiers dressed in full power armor and armed in full military gear, including plasma rifles, were waiting. They would be escorting Lydia for the rest of the day.

Rowan Ward - Entertainment District - Club Concord, #C8B9A6
"That's a real shame, isn't it? Seems like love songs and those tracks with deeper meanin' get buried by repetitive beats and lyrics about gettin' paid'n'laid."

The security officer's gaze shifted to the PA bot as Concordia corrected it, watching briefly as the little thing hovered around. When the lovely android spoke to her again, Ro's eyes returned. She stared for a second, considering reassuring her, then sighed.

"I wont shit you, I fully expect there to be a lot of people causing trouble. This is pretty big, y'know", Rowan answered, lifting her head and placing her metallic hand down on the booth. She glanced down at the surface of the booth, her little smirk returning when she looked back up at Concordia again, "But don't you worry, I'll watch out for you little lady."

"Oh and by the way, call me Rowan", she insisted, extending her right hand, her softer hand toward the club's DJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voices of Nerat
The night before the party Florian had sent the file over to Concordia. "I accept the terms of this agreement", he spoke in a matter of fact tone.

After a night plagued with horrid dreams, Florian felt sweat crawl down his body and awoke to find a message that had been left for him overnight by a contact.

The message read:
"Hello Florian, I know we don't speak much, I am a friend of your father- a member of the PR division. It appears there have been problems near the Biosphere... what exactly this is, we've no idea... Here's what little we have to get you started. Have fun..." Florian groaned in annoyance. There was no mention of payment and the information provided was minimal.

"Better at least get dressed for this fucking thing..." Florian rose from his bed, greeted by an android. "Fiona! grab me a red suit, my black tie with the red stars, my black trousers, and my weighted gloves."

The gloves were a family heirloom made in the final days of Vitae and passed down over the generations. Dawning his suit he smiled at the light outside of his room "I live a comfortable life, don't you agree, Four-Two-Nine?" The android nodded, displaying true sentience.

"You were built to gather information, and to do domestic work. How the fuck those two things go together I'll never know..." Pausing with a small laugh Florian continued. "I want you to gather information on the potential Captain. Ask around." A moment of silence fell between them "I will do so Florian." There was no hesitation in her voice.

To Florian this android was the height of hypocrisy he says he wants more power for the androids yet he treated his as a machine. "If people knew how hypocritical I can be... I'd be lynched!"

Immersed with the isolation of being in his own home, fitting his dress shoes Florian came to a sudden realization. "Perhaps if this Biosphere thing turns into a crisis maybe it can be capitalized upon."

Collab with @Zen
KT317704 & Nira, #EE7600

The doorbell rang, signalling to KT that someone was at the door. A small screen showed the Councilwoman Hadiya, dressed in a smart, navy uniform with a plastic bag in hand. The woman glanced up into the camera lens with an apologetic smile and asked,

"Can I come in KT?"

Like the disruption of an acorn falling into calm water the sound of knocking pierced through KT's circuits as her attention averted from her books to a the arrival of her visitor "Yes, Come in." With a steaming hiss the iron clad door began to shift, opening into a blackened apartment that was decorated with an eerie absence of luxury, unsettlingly complimented by the ominous dim light that shone from the overhanging lamps in the corners of the room.

Setting down her book KT317704 stood at the end of the hallway, her deep orange eyes staring at the intruder questioningly "How may I assist you?"

For someone who wasn't used to new androids, the sight of KT's apartment would have rattled them. But Nira had gotten past that phase long ago and took it in stride.

"Have you tried decorating your home?" she asked casually underneath the overhanging lamps. "Oh and I've got something for you. A gift if you will."

The android shook her head at the question and motioned toward the light "In the beginning there was darkness in this room, but those lights reached out into it. Like a rebellion, its grasp spread further and further until it reached as far as it could go. Illuminating the depths of the unknown where the dark secrets were to be uncovered. Right now the light is not powerful enough but if you improve its voltage, it's capacity; it can shine brighter and consume the darkness entirely," dropping her hand she smiled toward the councilwoman "Like the light, today an android that you deem Lydia will reach out toward the shadow and seek the truth. But after my studies of human history I wonder-"

At the mention of a gift she paused, perplexed by the notion "It is not the day of my construction, nor a public holiday." it informed her, furrowing its brow in confusion.

The Councilwoman pursed her lips, amusement flickering in her eyes at KT's speech. Unexpected, but it showed progress in the little android.

"Oh, I know it's not your um... Well we call it a birthday. And I got you a gift since this will be the first party you'll be attending."

From the bag she withdrew three dresses and laid them on the floor. The first was long and slinky, meant to hug her curves, but leave much to the imagination. The second was cute, petite, and beige, with a belt and ribbon tied on the hip. The last dress exposed her backside, elegant, classy, but sexy.

Nira stood back, hands clasped in front of her, and nodded. Another experiment.

"You can have one, so choose which one you think is beautiful."

KT's orange hues gazed down thoughtfully at the three dresses, none of them would be discerned as ugly by the general public but for reasons she could not explain she was drawn to the third "This one," she stated leaning down to pick it up from the floor.

The woman rubbed her chin in thought, nodding in approval.

"Interesting choice KT. May I see it on you?"

With a nod the android tried to fathom the mysteries of the dress "How does it work?"

Nira's mouth opened and closed like a goldfish.

"Oh, um. Well first you need to find a private place to get dressed. I hope you know that part. Next you need to undo the zipper and step inside the dress. Make sure it doesn't get snagged or rip. Then you pull it up, slip your hands through the holes, do the zipper, and that should be it."

She hoped those instructions were concise enough.

Looking for the suggested private place the android looked at the dress then back at Nira still puzzled "A Zipper?" she looked down toward the dress unsure of what Nira was referring to. Studying the dress she tried to find the contraption that the woman was talking about. The object of clothing had two openings but the size in which they were made would not be able to fit around her body "What is this contraption you speak of?"

She smiled, stepped forward, and pulled the zipper.

"That," and paused "KT, have you thought about acquiring synthetic skin?"

"I see. No, would it benefit me to have one?"

"It is up to you. Skin tends to look appealing, but this dress will work as well. I'll step out when you're ready to change."

The android came to an understanding that a skin would improve her "How and where do I get one?"

She scratched her head, "One of the engineers could outfit you with one, but it would cost you Credits."

The android cast a sad gaze upon Nira "Can you help?"

Chuckling, Nira grasped the dress in her hands, and opened it for KT to step through. As the android struggled with the outfit, the Councilwoman chatted.

"You know, your boss is eager to meet you. Do you know who he is?"

"Carter Davis, head of security," the android replied awkwardly trying to figure out the dress that stuck to her body "Is this what skin feels like?"

"I've never lost my skin before, so I'm not sure how to answer that."

The Councilwoman stepped back, hand on her chin, and smiled.

"I never thought lace would look good on an android. I think Carter will like you."

"You know him?" the thought suddenly crossed her mind "Who are you?"

"And here I thought you would know me, KT. I am the Council member of Education after all. But you may call me Nira."

The thought of Carter and their last exchange made the woman's lips pull taut.

"Yes, I do know him. We had a... Disagreement earlier, but all is well now. He is just eager to meet you is all. If he seems pushy, ask him to take it easy on you."

KT shook her head "Upon being faulted, improvement is necessary change. I thank you for your concern Lady Nira, but easy is not necessary,"

A wry smile touched the council woman's lips.

"He'll definitely like you." A pause "Would you like me to escort you to the party, or will you be alright on your own?"

"Whichever option will assist you in your goals more."

Nira sighed, long and heavy.

"I am offering to help you appease any worries you have about attending this party. If you are nervous about attending by yourself, I can go with you. It's up to you."

And it would be nice to see Carter's reaction, she thought to herself.

"Nervous? is that a feeling?" she mimicked the motion of putting her hand to her chin in thought before looking back at Nira, unable to process the emotion that Nira suggested. The android did however understand that the words were spoken in a way that portrayed an act of human 'kindness' that should be reciprocated with her own "If it will not hinder you," she finally concluded.

"Very well, I'll be back to take you to the party."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: LVL1337N00B and Zen
RJ
[Mechanical Workshop "Gears"; Level 2]

The tension that she felt, coming from glares of her workers, was exactly that; tense and heavy. Leaning on the improvised steel fence outside of her office, she watched as the customer left the building. For now. She studied the piece of paper once more and returned it into her pocket, before she came down the stairs and stood in front of mecha, ignoring the whisperings. The old mechanic cleared his throath and stood beside her. "Is everything alright?" RJ nodded and smirked. "You know, from the beginning I knew this crap will be a major waste of my time." The Old-Timer sighed and eyed the machine. "Well, we did the best we could with wishes we needed to grant." RJ shook her head. "No, not really. Changing plans." Before the mechanic could ask or say anything, RJ was already on the mecha, casually ripping all the things she found unnecesarry. With the whine of workers, her whistles just got louder. By the end of cable carnage, it turned into a song and it ceased only when she landed on the ground, grinning at the pile of messed up parts in front of her. Spinning the wrench, she grinned. "Well considering how hard was it to make it, it was pretty damn easy to tear it apart. Thank goodness." Just then she noticed an awkward silence and killer glares coming from everyone around. Looking at them strangely, as if she didn't know what she just did, she simply asked. "What?"

"Are you out of your mind, kid?!" RJ replied with wise grin and the old mechanic sighed annoyed. "Yes, for the love of all mechanical you are! You are out of your mind and I did NOTHING to prevent it! Your father would kill me!" She simply watched him freaking out and walking around nervously for a while, before replying. "Well, my old man ain't around and you got to admit, that was fun as fuck." Even though he looked at her with the killer glare that worked really well with his piercing blue eyes and narrow gaze, he didn't say anything. Seing that he gave up, RJ got up from her chair. "Look, old man. You should really know by now that I don't do anything without purpouse and I DON'T do mind loss." Grabbing the plan she wrote while he was freaking out, she sighed and shoved it under his nose. "It only needs minor and simple alterations that we haven't planned before. But that is the beauty of this job, isn't it? Opportunities and improvisation." After examining the paper, the Old-Timer looked at RJ and hesitated a bit before she flashed her well known loony grin. He shook his head. "250 000 c's?" RJ nodded, maintaining the grin. "...What did you do?"

"And that is it. There, as simple as it gets." By the time she had finished, the list was shorter than anyone thought it would be, but highly unusual for a mecha they previously planned. Arms, enhanced shield, voice recognition, alarms, body heat and movement detectors and above all, twenty separated and highly protected cells was simple enough, but suspicious enough to bring out different questions no one dared to ask. One of her 'hand picked' workers cleared his throat. "Shall I let our previous customer know that he is out of the picture?" RJ thought a bit. Even though she wanted more than anything to say to that fat spoiled kid to "go suck on an exhaustion pipe", she knew better. This was much bigger than coockyness. "No." She replied. "I still need him." Hoax with level 4 transaction would work much better if she actually had a level 4 scumbag around, just in case. The old mechaninc scratched his chin and nodded. "Very well, these twenty cells are simple enough, I will make sure they're flawless. Though I do wonder...Why? It is supposed to be a usual space for carrying food." RJ picked up the rest of her things, along with the boxed AM bomb, well hidden from curious eyes. "Oh, it will carry things alright." She smirked and approached him on her way out. "...But it ain't pies."
"You are building a fortress, kiddo. What is going on?" RJ stopped just after she oppened the door. "What is in that box?" She smirked. "A gift worth another 7.000 c's" With that she went outside, leaving her team to their part of work. What she had to do, was more than just a simple copy-paste habit. As she stopped to get a new pack of cigarettes, she took out the phone and typed in briefly. "All is settled. You will have everything ready on time." She looked at the number once more before returning the paper in her pocket. Lot of work, but it was worth it. On a small public screen the news about controversial new captain candidate were up again and RJ rolled her eyes. What was that android's name again? She shrugged, not bothering to remember. One way or another, level two would feel no diference. Long time go, they all got used to it. Raising her backpack back up, she headed towards her humble apartment. Work couldn't wait.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.