Inhuman

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dragonesper

Original poster
Senior scientist, a graying man named Max Davidson looked tiredly at the papers on his desk with dispassionate brown eyes, knowing that today would be a busy day. They had obtained some fae or fairy, female even, who would wake up soon and be a prime specimen if the bug was dumb enough. Some of those creatures could be a bit too cunning for his taste.
On a completely different note they had a new scientist joining their ranks, he wasn't sure how useful this new one would be or if they would have another failure on their hands. Hopefully the new one would learn quickly not to humanize the beasts and get involved. Sighing he closed the folder and left it on his desk, rising up to his full height of 1.75 m he wasn't among the tallest around, but still safely among the average. Grown a bit pudgy thanks to the sedate life of research he was a man in need of exercise, not that he would spare valuable time on that when he had his research.

Maneuvering through hallways he soon reached the lobby where the newly hired staff member was meant to wait, if they were on time.

**^**^**^**

Groaning softly the tiny fae woke up, last thing she remembered was the distinct feeling of being chased and had shrunk to hide more easily. Sitting up she found herself in a room with several cages and realized that she had not only been caught, she'd gone to the worst possible place for her kind. A lab.

Panicked she began looking around, carefully avoiding to touch the cold iron imbued bars. Her silvery, white hair fluttered as equally silvery eyes took in every detail of the room. While inwardly relieved her magicked outfit was still on her, the spell making the clothes match whichever size she took, she didn't think about her decency at this very moment, she thought about escape.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, he hadn't found the keys. When he finally found them, it turned out his car wasn't working. And then he almost missed the buss. Luke had just stumbled inside the lobby, out of breath and knees aching from running from the bus stop, when a elderly man came through a door on the other side. Luke breathed in relief. It would probably not sitt well leting his new boss wait on his first day.
He straightened up his slim, tall figure and brushed the brown, now slightly damp hair out of his blue eyes. "Dr Davidson?" he asked and walked towards him, one hand held out to shake his, while the other adjusted the messenger bag strap he had slung over his shoulder. He put on a big smile and tried to get his breath under control. "I'm Luke Jones. Sorry if I'm late."

Heavy steps had pulled her out of sleep, and with a groan she had sat up in her cage. It wasn't a big thing, and definitely not comfortable. Why they didn't listen to her request about something to sleep on was beyond her. A blanket shouldn't be that hard to come buy? The people had left again immediately, and now she was sitting with her face pressed against the bars, staring at the new arrival with big grey eyes. The second she had seen the little cage, a huge smile had grown on her round face. The day had finally arrived.
She sat like that for a while in the dark, only a few soft snors from the other cages disturbing the silence. When the little fairy finally moved, the smile came back. She followed her every movement while she got up and looked around. It didn't seem like the fairy noticed her, which wasn't that strange since it was almost pitch black, and she was sitting completely still, with the hood pulled over her head.
The fairy was beautiful, even more than she remembered.
"Hi!" she said excited, her light voice ringing through the room. "You finally came!"

Returning the handshake Max nodded curtly, neither impressed or unimpressed by the arrival. "Max Davidson, senior researcher at this facility." While the young man was catching his breath he continued in the same neutral tone. "I hope you're not planning on a repeat like this later down the road. There is a lot to cover and even though your resume is as it is we value reliability here." Getting a bit stern at the end it was clear the man meant business.

**^**^**^**

Turning quickly the light fabrics of her dress fluttered around her, the layered skirt especially. "Who is there?" Getting a guarded look the small fae glowed softly, like cold moonlight on a winter night, giving more light to the dark room. With the magic glow her eyesight improved and she could see more clearly just what kind of room she was in. A room full of cages and creatures of all manners occupying them, asleep for now.

"No no no!" he quickly said and smiled, then cleared his throat and put on a more serious expression. "It will never happen again, I'll make sure off it. You can count on me." If there ever had been a job he couldn't loose, this was it. For a second he considered explaining him what had happened, but he doubted Max cared. It rarely gave a good impression coming with excuses anyway, and he really needed the new boss to like and trust him.

"Oh, good, you can talk! It would have been a little complicated if not," she said and pulled of her hood, revealing her short grey hair and ears with a little point on top. "I'm Lilly! What's your name?" she asked, tilting her head slightly and studying the tiny fairy with great curiosity. The glowing was beautiful, she actually felt herself getting a little envious. Who wouldn't like to glow?

"I don't make it a habit to count on new hires," smiling lightly for a moment Max soon returned to being serious. "Remember your time in the university where you worked on mice. Keep that distance in mind as you work here. You're not to pity them, fear them, hate them or care for them at all. While some seem human most of them are cunning creatures, any emotional weakness is fatal, especially those of pity and affection. Likewise is any desire to cause them unnecessary harm, we're scientists first and foremost. If you can't put your emotions aside then the door is right behind you." How many haven't they almost lost because of any of those emotions already? Luke's predecessor took a sorely needed stay at a mental healthcare facility as they spoke.

**^**^**^**

Sitting down the fae thought carefully on what to reply. Knowing that her true name should stay buried in her heart she used the name she preferred to use instead. "Gwendolyn, but you can call me Gwen. How long have you been here?" Feeling for the elf she wondered if the tales of horror were true, if the humans tortured the creatures held here.

Luke forced himself not to smile and nodded in a way he hoped came off as serious. He was well aware of that he gave out the impression of taking things a little to light hearted, thanks to the smiling and chuckling at the wrong times. Almost coming late didn't exactly help either... It would definitely all have to stopp, or his new boss wasn't the only one who was going to get disappointed.
"Off course," he said and nodded once more, just to be sure. "No problem." He managed to keep himself from smiling, which was a good thing since it would probably just come of as nervous now.

"Nice to finally meet you, Gwen!" Lilly said, the excitement not leaving her for a singel second. How long had she been waiting for this now? Months? Years? It wasn't exactly easy keeping track of time in here. "I don't know how long I've been here exactly, but I'm the one who have been here the longest," she said, still smiling. "I guess they never feel quit done with me. What a compliment, right?" She tipped her head in a few quick nods, as if answering her own questions. "You are really beautiful by the way. The most beautiful fairy I've ever seen. You are also the only fairy I've ever seen, but still..."

Giving the young man a neutral glance he held no expectations of him. He would have to prove himself through sole effort alone. Gesturing to a door nearby the front desk he stated the obvious: "First you're going to need your access card. After that there's going over what your tasks are at the very beginning." They couldn't set him to handle the risky tasks just yet, first they had to see if he actually managed to get his role. Later today they had a preliminary exam of the fairy-creature scheduled. If the young man got things fast then he could be invited to observe, though for now there was no need to mention that. Not yet at least.

**^**^**^**

She wasn't sure if she should be insulted by being called a fairy because of her size or be glad over the praise. Flushing lightly in a mix of both she responded with the annoyance more clear than her happiness. "I'm not a fairy, I'm a fae. It's just that I shrunk myself to conserve magic while trying to hide from the those people that caught me by surprise." And as a result she flew right into a hunter's trap, she was never going to admit that as easily.

Luke didn't feel the first impression was going that well, but hoped it was just his new boss that was hard to please. He would prove himself fast enough, he was sure about it. "Of course," he said and looked at the person sitting behind the desk, nodding slightly. "I'll get right to it," he said and walked over to the desk, and introduced himself.

"I'm sorry, I thought it was the same," she said and let her shoulders drop, disappointed in herself for saying the wrong thing already. "I've never met a fae either... Or maybe I have, it's hard remembering what I did before..." she mumbled, her smile gone and voice low now. She looked around in her cage that had been her home for years now, feeling tears well up in her eyes. She clenched her jaw tight and pulled the hood on again, before sinking back down in the corner, all curled up. The quick change of emotions drained her energy, pulling her into a dark and empty place in her mind.

Holding back a sigh Max stayed back and waited for the access keys and ID for their new research assistant to be ready, knowing the administration that wouldn't take too long.

Having seen the exchange between the two men the young woman smiled sympathetically at Luke. "You're the new research assistant, Luke, right?" With an approachable manner she gestured him to move slightly to a preferred spot and continued: "And if you can stand there for a moment so I can take your picture then it would be good. No need to smile, this is like a pass photo so looking pretty is secondary." Adding a light joke she took up a fairly standard camera and pointed the lens at him after taking the cap off.

**^**^**^**

Grimacing a bit Gwen spoke in sincere apology, even a little rushed as she did feel guilty for doing it. "No, it's okay. I'm sorry for being so mean about it. Anyone can make that mistake when I'm like this." She had stopped glowing now, saving her reserves the best she could. She would need it when attempting to escape this potential hell hole.

«That’s me,» Luke answered and stood as directed, making sure his face was relaxed and plain. «Hope I don’t look too red and sweaty,» he chuckled when the picture was taken. That was probably how it was supposed to be though, ending up with a horrible ID photo. It seemed you had to be friends with the gods to get a decent one.

Slowly and a little uncertain, Lilly turned back to facing the fae. «I don’t meant to bother you,» she said and leaned her forehead against the bars. «I just get so excited, and I’ve been waiting for you for so long…» She stared down at the base of the cage the fae was in, deep in thought. She tried to remember the first time she had had a vision about her, how long ago it was. At least a year, if not more. The experiments they put her through sometimes messed up her perspective on time. «But I’m also sorry you are here,» she continued and raised her eyes to the fae. «I don’t want anyone to be here…»

"Nah, you're safe on that." Smiling back she transferred the picture over immediately and started on preparing the key card. "Next is the usual pain in the ass paperwork. Since you've already signed the contract and stuff all that remains is filling out this one." Handing over a piece of paper it was a simple form of non-disclosure similar to the one on his contract. Smiling sheepishly at him she hoped he understood the pain of bureaucracy.

**^**^**^**

Frowning softly the fae sat down and looked at the elf in a mix of confusion and sadness. "Waiting for me? Why?" Looking at her imploringly Gwen hoped that Lilly could answer that honestly and not dodge it, but she wouldn't blame the elf if she dodged the question too.

"No problem," he said and clicked a pen, and immediatly went to filling it out. When he was all done he glanced over it a last time, and then handed it back with a smile. "Here you go!"

"Because when you show up, things will get better, eventually. I've seen it..." she said and rubbed her forehead a little. "It all starts with you, but I don't know why." The elf smiled and straightend up a little, the cherfull mood returning with thinking about the future. "I can see the future!" she said with a huge grin, but it quickly died again. "Not everyone belives me, but I can. I'm almost never wrong."

While Luke filled out the sheet the secretary printed the cards and programmed the access level in. Going through the regular progress with ease she was done in time to hand him the two cards, one with his picture, name and other personalia and the other his access key with 'level 1A' written on it. "The key is locked to your name, so forgetting either card will put you in a bind. Dr. Davidson will teach you how things will work with the cards." Scribbling down four digits on a post it note she then smiled wryly: "And of course, your passcode." Giving him the slip of paper she added dryly: "We can't be too secure apparently."

While waiting for Luke the aged scientist was making a call of his own. Speaking softly it was hard to pick up the contents of the conversation without above human level of hearing. What anyone could surmise from the fractions of the call was that another creature had fallen in their hands and progression of a project.

**^**^**^**

"The future..." Frowning softly Gwen thought about what she knew about the ability of foresight. It unsettled her to know that she was somehow the key to something happier, all she really wanted as to be free. This entrapment was horrible for her and she already longed for the night sky.

Luke chuckled as he accepted the cards and the note. "Thank you, I'll do my best with not losing any of it," he said an blinked at her before walking back to his new boss. He gave him some space until the phone call was over, and then walked over to him. "Looks like I'm all set to go," he said while smiling lightly, hoping he came of as excited to start.

Lilly nodded slowly while turning a strand of hair around her finger. "It makes the doctors here very curious. They never seem to get what they are looking for though. The tests are never ending..." A tightness grew around her mouth and eyes became unfocused, but she quickly chased it away by shaking her head a little. "Don't worry," she continued and lowered her voice to almost a whisper. "I haven't told them about you." She grinned with excitement and tilted her head a little. "What powers do you have?" She asked, her voice now back to normal.

Ending the call Max nodded lightly. "Memorize your code for now, we're not going to put you with any of mentally affecting abilities as of yet." Very few worked on them as they were kept away from the rest. Turning he headed for the door he had originally come through and paused there, expecting Luke to follow. "This one only need you personal ID." Swiping his own card he added lightly: "They doors also triggered to shut if more than one pass through per swipe so keep in mind to have your personal cards on hand at all time." Moving on he did give Luke a chance to respond, as long as the younger man followed.

**^**^**^**

Frowning at the state her her newly gained acquaintance and potential ally Gwen hoped that torture was not on the menu on the tests. Though as the mood changed for a more excited one Gwen turned thoughtful. How much was she meant to give up? Surely not everything... "Hmm... There is the fact that I can shrink, it can be applied to what I am wearing as well because of some spellrunes I sewed in." Tilting her head thoughtfully she wondered of the runes counted as a power... Nah. "And well, flight and moon magic I suppose."

Luke nodded to show he understood and then swiped his card before following him. With curious eyes he looked around as they walked down the hall, eager to learn everything about the place. "I'm really grateful for getting the opportunity to work her," he said and walked faster to keep up with Max. "I'll work my hardest to be the assistant you need." He hoped it didn't come of as trying to hard, he just got the impression that Max wasn't particular fond of him. 

"Moon magic?!" Lilly repeated with a grin. "That sounds fun!" She had no idea what moon magic was, but anything with the word 'moon' in it certainly had to be nice. The fae was definitely hiding something though. Who would tell everything to a complete stranger? And it was probably her most powerful one. Lilly had done the same, after all. It actually surprised her that she had managed to keep it a secret, after all this years and through all those… tests, which they liked to call them. Sometimes she wondered if her secret power maybe had gone away, since she hadn’t used it for so long. She didn’t dare to try it to find out…

At the eagerness and passion Max smiled a humorless smile while wondering where his superiors had picked out Luke from, and on what criteria besides the usual ones. "You might not be as grateful longer down the road. You were warned about the risks." Insanity, death, permanent damage... They couldn't let their guards down even with the earliest captures.

**^**^**^**

"Of course moon magic is fun!" Smiling Gwen summoned her glow, bringing the same soft, silvery cold light a full moon gave. "It's the magic I was born with and another part what makes me who I am." Letting go of the magic again she sighed in disappointment: "Though the most useful part of the moon magic is completely inaccessible like this."

"I'll be careful," he said and cleared his throat a little. At least he hoped he would be. Getting injured would come in the way of his work here. "So, did something bad happen with the person I'm replacing, or...?"

"Wow, that's amazing," June said and looked at the light, her eyes widening. "I can't do anything like that, just see the future... But if you're ever cold, I can make it a little warmer." She hugged herself and felt a slight warm go through her body. The magic wasn't visible, but handy. Especially since she never got that blanket she kept asking for. "You should sleep. Get some rest before they come and get you..."

Sighing softly Max knew the rumors would reach their new assistant sooner, rather than later. "He is currently cared for at a facility equipped to tend to his current afflictions. Foolishly he fell for the goading of one of the creatures at this facility and attempted to deal with it in rather thoughtless manners." Looking over to the new hire he slowed his pace slightly out of consideration to him. They could work on effectiveness at a time precision wouldn't suffer. "And that is just one of the reasons you're not going to let emotions cloud your work. They might be different from most beasts and humans, but it doesn't change that some are more clever and dangerous than they let on."

**^**^**^**

A cold shiver went down her back as the thought of being a part of whatever was done to the other creatures here. "Y- you know... That's not exactly a comforting thought to sleep to." Not to mention she was nocturnal, and not diurnal like the creatures she could spot in her limited capability. Argh, why did she absolutely have to try shrinking to escape? Dammit!

A cold shiver rund down his spine. «Oh sh–« Luke stopped himself, figuring that swearing in front of his new boss this early might not be the best move. But how else was he supposed to react to that? Cared for at a facility… that did not sound good. «Thank you for telling me,» he said and cleared his throat a little. «I’ll be careful.»

«It’s not?» Lilly bit her lip, thinking it over. «No, I guess not. But don’t worry, you’ll be okay. I don’t know what they’re going to do to you, but you’re coming back here. I’ve seen it, and I’m never wrong.» She wrinkled her nose and thought back a little. «Well, almost never. But I haven’t been wrong for a very long time…»

Status
Not open for further replies.