Influential Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
In general? Hard to say.

In terms of imagery and command of English, it goes to Potter though, by far. I grew up following the adventures of Harry and friends, and watched the movies as they were released. Rowling is an incredible writer.

Warriors. I read those books religiously when I was younger. I grew up with them more than any other series.

I mentioned it on Discord just yesterday ^^ Diana Wynne Jones' books, as well as Tamora Pierce's books, have influenced me the most, in terms of the genre I write in as well as the style at some points. The same could be said for Harry Potter series.

As a person in general? It's hard to say, really.

The bible and Atlas Shrugged, and whichever books fall in between.

I guess Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series, the first book being "Wizards First Rule."

It's the only fantasy story I've genuinely liked, having all the traditional elements of high fantasy but being different enough to keep it interesting. Also I named my cat after Zeddicul Zu'l Zorander (A wizard).

The first 3 books are the best. The series goes downhill from there but I still somewhat enjoyed it anyway. I don't know how many books there are now but I stopped at Pillars of Creation.

EDIT: Oh.
I can't believe I forgot this.
Animorphs.
Animorphs was definitely hugely influential.
If I had to pick out a specific book it'd probably be The Hork-Bajir Chronicles.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Kagayours
For me, it's Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere novels. They're a bunch of stories set in the same universe, but not on the same planet, all with different magic systems and types of plots. The best series in this mega-continuity so far are the Stormlight Archive books--the Way of Kings and Words of Radiance. Also, the book Elantris-also a Cosmere story-is amazing!

Most people are more familiar with his Mistborn books, and they're fantastic too, but they didn't strike me in a way that the SA books did.

As far as authors that aren't Brandon Sanderson? Stephen King's Dark Tower series is high on my list, as is Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. Robin Hobb is an amazing writer as long as the books are about Fitzchivalry Farseer. Her Forest Mage books and the ones about the Liveships aren't that great.

Though I love all kinds of fantasy books -- and comic books as well as the poems of Yeats...it was really RD Laing's books about madness and family which I read in high school that gave me courage. As well as esoteric writings by various individuals regarding the spiritual aspects of yoga, other planes of existence and the like. Which I was dying to hear someone discuss, but didn't know how much until I finally stumbled on all these old ragged paperbacks.

Literally ALL of the Harry Potter books. All of them are just... I can't even describe it. But among those I have to say that anything by Rainbow Rowell has taken me by storm. Fangirl and Eleanor and Park were absolutely brilliant and made me feel things that I didn't know I could feel while reading.

Books are the best things.

Growing up where English books were only old dusty things in the library, or books we had to read for English class (I went to English immersion school in a small town in Quebec), my most influential book series was Amos Daragon by Bryan Perro. If you look him up, he's got some kind of degree in... werewolves. Yes. His books were a mix of all things legendary, mythologies from across the world. It was truly beautiful and targeted at a young teen audience, so it was perfect for a young kid like me. It got me started on my imagination, and I started reading everything fantasy I could find. I soon learned that most books were actually written in English and then translated in French, so I ordered a bunch of them through Scholastics magazines (you Canadians know what that is!) and finally one day I ordered Harry Potter 1 through 5 in a special bookcase thing. I had only read the first one in English, the others were in French. I was fascinated by the translations, everything was so different. Overall, I think Harry Potter and other Quebec authors shaped my desire to read and write fantasy and urban science fantasy. <3

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
The Thief of Always. I wish I had taken the lesson of it to heart when I was younger, but now that I'm older I see how stupid I was for wishing away time.

If comic books count... the Uncanny X-Men series has influenced me greatly, letting me know it's okay to be different from other around me and to embrace that difference as a strength not a weakness.

If comics don't count, then... I'd say the Holy Bible (New Testament). That book has inspired me and been my guiding light through the most difficult of times.

Reactions: Shiri and Kagayours
Redwall got me into writing my own stuff and worldbuilding. I wish I could write the food half as well as that man did.

Stephen King and Anne Rice's works helped me understand how to write proper horror, which was highly sought for by me after reading Goosebumps. Anne Rice also taught my how to draw out a romance. Dear gawd, it takes them like a million years to hold hands!

The Star Trek books opened my eyes about moralities.

Doctor Who books mentally scarred me. They also taught me things, a lot of things, but the scarring, man. There was one about
this penal colony where the criminals were experimented on and the dead experiments were fused into this giant mass that was then reanimated. So it was this sentient mound of flesh that made a perfect world with its mind to escape its constant pain. In retrospect it was basically playing Sims...huh. Sims plus the pain of a thousand tortures.
o.o; Yeah, that's Doctor Who alright. The things is, the audio dramas get even worse than that. Omg, Doctor Who, I love you. Why you make my soul hurt?

In terms of as a person, I think that All Quiet on the Western Front probably had the biggest effect on me.

As far as writing style and all that... probably The Eyes of the Dragon. I read it decently young and I was just really taken with the writing style and the imagery that it had. I felt connected to the characters, even the one that isn't well-liked for the most part.

New I guess Terry Goodkind's "Sword of Truth" series, the first book being "Wizards First Rule."
I loved the Wizard's First Rule. @_@ My first big foray into Fantasy was this series. So I guess it would be something that influenced me too.

Reactions: Vardoger
Status
Not open for further replies.