Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
The universe isn't trying to restore balance to anything. Each object in the universe has an invisible code that programs it. For whatever reason, damage has been done to the code that programs certain entities. Now usually, if damage is done, then the universe will change to reading the backup code that it has for that object, but for some reason, in the case of the Exceptions, it hasn't done that so the Exceptions now run on broken code. This may mean that gravity isn't calculated for one object, or perhaps another is completely immune to a certain kind of stress. The universe is simply one huge bubble that works like a runtime environment on a computer. It exists simply to read and run the code it's given. It won't try to fix code or write new code.
Interestingly, this also fits somewhat into one of the multiverse theories that suggests each new universe is kind of a child of another universe. Perhaps the child universe has certain mutations in it's code which makes it slightly different from it's mother universe, and this is how the normal parallel dimensions view is explained - the code is slightly different in a different universe, and because of that slight difference, in that universe, certain things have happened differently.

• Useful
  • Thank You
Reactions: Mglo and SamIO
This should definitly call for an Exception which exist or can connect/travel through Universes be it living or object. I mean, it´d be fun because it could give another frontier to explore.

• Thank You
Reactions: SamIO
True, it could. I have a better idea for that though, that fills the hole I was having with the motivation of the evil group... so if no one has any objections, then we go with this?

- The universe is one big collection of codes. Each entity has a separate line of code from each other entity. These lines are held together at the center of the universe by a massive four-dimensional energy mass. This mass is quite unstable, and shifts occasionally. When it shifts, it damages a few lines of code. Usually, a damaged line of code will replace the damaged section with a working section, but in the case of some items, it does not, and continues to read the damaged section of code.
- This means that these items do not obey certain principles of physics in quite the same way as normal items, and can use this to their advantage. These items are known as Exceptions. Most items will not ever know they are exceptions, and will dismiss their strange experiences as being tired or hallucinating, or simply fantastic luck. Exceptions need not be sentient, and can be normal objects, such as an unbreakable glass. If the code is damaged twice, it is possible for items to become Exceptions of multiple Laws, although this is very rare.
- Recently, an organisation was founded that appealed specifically to Exceptions. Entrance conditions were very tight and only those who experienced physics differently ever got recruited. This organisation takes the guise of a private investigation company.
- The head of this company is the mysterious Director, who only rarely shows himself, preferring to communicate through a speech only conference call, with a voice modifier applied.
- This company has ulterior motives however. They watch the Exceptions they employ very carefully, trying to learn the nature of this hypothetical code, so that they can figure out how to control it. How to make custom-order Exceptions. Some of their clients may be good, some may be evil. They don't care. Be it infinite renewable energy by opening a portal to another universe or an army of supersoldiers who can teleport and repel all incoming attacks, as long as they get paid, they can't lose.

Sound good? It's all still open for discussion, but I'm quite eager to get started :D

- This means that these items do not obey certain principles of physics in quite the same way as normal items, and can use this to their advantage. These items are known as Exceptions. Most items will not ever know they are exceptions, and will dismiss their strange experiences as being tired or hallucinating, or simply fantastic luck. Exceptions need not be sentient, and can be normal objects, such as an unbreakable glass. If the code is damaged twice, it is possible for items to become Exceptions of multiple Laws, although this is very rare.
So far everything sounds good. as for this one point i quote i got a suggestion. Perhaps if the code is damaged twice an Exception might exhibit a wider margine or gap in his Law or defiance of physic, as in demonstrating new found aptitudes in what they could already perform.

For now all i see is that we might still need a name for the place or city in which we are and perhaps a bit of a cultural background. Some tweeks that might be nessesary to set a proper atmosphere.

• Thank You
Yeah, obviously a proper environment could be useful. We still don't even know a time period beyond Cyberpunk, do we? I guess it depends on what part gets damaged on the second time. if it's the same part then it might result in an enhanced ability to defy that Law, but if it were seperate parts it would result in being an Exception of both areas.

• Thank You
Well we can always goe with a typical XX00 or something for the year as I feel a century is hardly likely to pass through the adventure unless we do. But the first two digits might have an impact still in case a decade or so goes by.

Coming with invented names is a hard thing for me but maybe I could get something from making a reference or taken from a word which concept is related to what could be defined on the city aspects.

So we know it´s cyberpunk, so, if it were a refference it would have to be something along the lines of technology and science/math. What about "Integral City"? Not only does it refferences mathematic but theres also integral circuits etc...

• Thank You
-_- Fuck maths. I don't wanna be reminded of my upcoming exams everytime I procrastinate by roleplaying :D But in all seriousness, I think using maths terminology is a bit naf. I don't think tech levels should be too far advanced, I think maybe this should be the plot of how Exceptions come to influence the invention of crazy technologies of the future like super-light-speed travel and stuff. I think maybe have it in 2100 to make it a nice round number, and try to apply human linguistics to the naming of things. Whoever founded the city in the first place as well as it's purpose will have a big part in what things get called, but people are also generally becoming less creative, so I could imagine it being a "new" version of a pre-existing major city, so New Tokyo, or New Moscow or something. I think it could work quite well in a not-American country too, where rules on the Black Industry are a lot looser than they should be.

• Thank You
Honestly, we're looking at a cyberpunk level of society and technology in 30-40 years at the given rate of expansion of communications and medical technology. As for city names, I'd avoid using anything new or thought-up because that often takes away from a bit of the 'grit' cyberpunk is about. With that said, Seattle, Tokyo, Chicago, Berlin, London, and Singapore are all great choices in the real world for a setting.

Adding 'new' to a preexisting city is rather contrived, as something would have had to remove it for people to start putting 'new' in front of it.

• Thank You
Not necessarily. "New York" exists, but "York" still stands. Using "New" allows for some kind of war or natural disaster that might have leveled that town, but it also allows for it to be the "new district" of that town which they may have spread to the normal town. There are several major cities due phenomenal earthquakes in the next 10-30 years, so it's plausible one may be damaged beyond logical repair, and so it becomes the site of the kind of test run of the futuristic city style.

• Thank You
Ah, but "New York" was a colony named after York whereas this would probably be just a new 'better' city plan, as you said, being unoriginal. In the case you brought up, if we were to take that route, then I would suggest Detroit as it's probably going to be the first city of the future. The investment spending in it is fairly cheap and it's actually getting quite a bit of advanced infrastructure as a result. Fast forward a few decades and it could certainly be a new-style city.

• Thank You
Hmm good idea, I had thought about it earlier but I couldn't remember it's name. I was just thinking "The bankrupt city" :D I imagine the Detroitians would be all too eager to leave their past behind them and would leap at a chance to have a complete city make-over.

• Thank You
It lends itself to one of the biggest themes in cyberpunk: wealth divides. While Detroit itself is experiencing unparalleled attention and care (more so than in its existence, steel belt included), only the rich would benefit off that level of investment spending. So while quality of life has, arguably, improved, the working poor are still the working poor even if their technology is brand-new.

• Thank You
Yup I like that idea. Unfortunately, the video of a concert I was watching just ended which means it's now 3 hours and 23 minutes since I decided I was going to go to bed after the next song, so... goodnight.

• Thank You
I apologize if this comes as a rather stupid critic but i never really do tend to picture real places when doing this sort of rp. Specifically for one reason in particularl to which normally I, as a south American, tend to find difficult. While you can argue that most are aware of U.S. culture and the states, not everyone knows their culture deeply enough, in which case, some might feel alienated with some customs more so if we speak of a state in particular. It´s because of this I always look foward to fictional locations.

Of course, and as Yokai said, theres a possibility that a city has gone through a war or natural disaster, events which could alter their culture to some extent.

My critic only comes as a prospective of characters being bland in their relation with the enviroment when the authors are not informed enough on the place.

You could argue that a person can still make their characters foreign for the sake of this purpose, but not all of them might be as comfortable about this option.

Caveat: In no way what so ever am i trying to be antagonistic about the idea. It´s just a small hindsight that comes from experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
I'm from England. I have absolutely no idea about American history or culture. That being said, if the RP is in 2100, most characters are only going to know the last sort of 80 years of history, so it doesn't really matter about the ancient history that came before that. If it's only 30 or 40 years from now then obviously fewer generations will have passed, but there's still enough advancement that anyone who remembers the old history will have died off long ago. Plus, in Cyberpunk RPs, the culture of old rarely gets mentioned on a city-scale. Usually it's only on a world-wide scale.

• Thank You
This has gone far beyond what I had initially imagined. Nevertheless, I'm still in for the ride!

• Thank You
So..... I think I've got a decent enough plot figured out so I'll get to making the thread. Think I should make a new OOC to see if we get any more interest or just go straight into it?

• Love
I don't think another OOC is necessary. To get more interest there's the Roleplay advertising section, it should work just as well if not better especially if it's specified that nothing has officially started yet. Some people like to join at the beginning of things or not at all *shrugs*

True. That being said though, most of us don't actually have characters yet :D

Status
Not open for further replies.