Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll leave whether or not Laws are widely known enough to Samster, because that influences a great deal of where this goes.

• Thank You
Reactions: SamIO
I don't think they should be widely known, but some people would probably know of it. In the end, the founder of the organisation will probably end up being another Exception who's interested in understanding the existence of them, but who needs more than himself as a test subject to do so.

• Thank You
So you're saying someone with a Law started it to learn about others similar to himself? That could actually work very well as an antagonist, but we'd need to come up with the reason why he's so powerful (did he start that way or work his way up). Either way, plausible idea with lots of potential.

• Thank You
I didn't read through all that so sorry if my input has already been mentioned.

Maybe something more unconventional? May I suggest: clusterfuck of conflict? Everyone has their own priorities and are double crossing each other and blah blah blah...

• Thank You
Maybe something more unconventional? May I suggest: clusterfuck of conflict? Everyone has their own priorities and are double crossing each other and blah blah blah...
It could work, we just gotta make sure we add some method to the madness.

• Thank You
As I'd originally intended the exceptions are totally unknown, even to those shady people who seem to know everything, but because they are an anomaly they would over time pick up something of a quiet reputation (though nothing that would ever make it to the ears of Joe Schmoe). They start out as your everyday nobodies, and are spontaneously given these laws by a silent force, probably not even realizing it'd happened. What cues them off are all the strange happenings afterward that they later attribute to their laws. :o

Of course, something gave them these laws, and that is something that the plot should answer (among other things), I feel. We had a few ideas before about said force being a pro/antagonistic entity, be it human or really stretching science fantasy's second half by playing around with something as fundamental as the laws of physics (something which isn't the most popular option).

It's really up to you guys — normally it'd be up to you guys because you're the ones who really drive and invest in the story with your characters, but it's also up to you guys because I'm not actually going to be participating in the IC. ^.^;

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Hmm, I'm more in favour of the non-sentient force actually. The idea of a sentient force that has the ability to give people what are essentially magical powers kinda makes the cyberpunk theme rather redundant for me. It makes the science-based-powers become more magic-based in my mind. I'd rather they experienced some kind of event related to their Law that left them constantly at a slight angle to that rule's normal functioning. For example, someone who experiences Time differently may have been exposed to some kind of situation where they had to be in 2 places at once with a significant enough consequence that they absolutely Had to manipulate time.

Reactions: Kingofheart
Hmm, I'm more in favour of the non-sentient force actually. The idea of a sentient force that has the ability to give people what are essentially magical powers kinda makes the cyberpunk theme rather redundant for me. It makes the science-based-powers become more magic-based in my mind. I'd rather they experienced some kind of event related to their Law that left them constantly at a slight angle to that rule's normal functioning. For example, someone who experiences Time differently may have been exposed to some kind of situation where they had to be in 2 places at once with a significant enough consequence that they absolutely Had to manipulate time.

I second this for the most part. As for how the Laws are developed, i can´t picture it as if it spontaneously came to be from a nessesity. I aknowledge that coming with a reason for the Laws to exist from the perspective of a non-sentient omni-force (if that is even an actual word) is not as easy as if it were the result of the whims of a sentient form of existence.

Still there are other ways we could explore. For instance, what if this Laws came to be as a sort of oportunity for the universe to restore the broken balance? This break being triggered by a certain event and that the penaltie came to be within certain living creatures and inanimate objects/minerals (creating the possibilitie of animals, plants and even perhaps enviroments that develops Laws as a consequence.). However in the case of humans, and the protagonist, results in unique imperfections being in their personality or physic. Here is were Laws comes, being an universal way to patch and fix this problems.

Ex: A person during their life has manifested an improbability of realizing "X" action and not out of their own volition (be it conciuss or subconciuss) but because the odds seems to always stack against him in a bizarre way. Soon though, he finds that he is capable to realize this "X" action in a sitch or perhaps with little to no hindrance.

It´s perhaps this way that before even realizing that they possess a Law, those who wield one might start having a hint that something is different or changed. This from their perspective could be interpretated in many different ways.

• Love
Reactions: Mglo and SamIO
(creating the possibilitie of animals, plants and even perhaps enviroments that develops Laws as a consequence.)

. . .

those who wield one might start having a hint that something is different or changed.
Yummy. <3

I'm still going from the universe being a set of codes perspective, so how about we change that a little so that a break happens somewhere (The center of the universe, IE the origin of all matter, seems like a good enough place as any, since it's the same place where a lot of unique phenomena have been predicted to occur) and as a result, the code is shifted throughout the universe, resulting in certain people being affected by these Laws. Sort of like how if you were to accidentally miss out a loop while knitting a scarf, then every loop you make would be one position too early and would affect other parts of the scarf. I'm not particularly fond of the idea of the universe being even a semi-sentient force that's capable of correcting mistakes in itself.

I'm still going from the universe being a set of codes perspective, so how about we change that a little so that a break happens somewhere (The center of the universe, IE the origin of all matter, seems like a good enough place as any, since it's the same place where a lot of unique phenomena have been predicted to occur) and as a result, the code is shifted throughout the universe, resulting in certain people being affected by these Laws. Sort of like how if you were to accidentally miss out a loop while knitting a scarf, then every loop you make would be one position too early and would affect other parts of the scarf. I'm not particularly fond of the idea of the universe being even a semi-sentient force that's capable of correcting mistakes in itself.
Then hypothetically this break that is shifting the code has to be minimal in consequence, since this way, the minority will have a Law while the mayority continues to be ruled completely by mundane physic. Still i kind of have grown attached to the idea of having Laws abide even non-living things. This could make for pretty interesting scenarios and even apply conditions and knowledge on the terrain that could determine who´s got the edge and who´s not. It could even work for arquitectural structures.

Of course, if that is ok with you.

• Thank You
  • Love
Reactions: SamIO and EchoFT
How about the code works kind of like DNA does in living cells? Each section of code programs for one occurrence, (this being a "gene") but there are 2 possible "alleles" of this gene. Through the event, this broke the dominant "allele" of the code, so the universe (acting as one huge cell) started reading from the recessive "allele" instead. However, for some reason, for those who are Exceptions, the universe does not switch to the recessive "allele" so continues to run the broken code, resulting in the Exception being exempt from that Law. If this were the case, then it would mean every individual item had it's own line of code. Perhaps these are joined at the origin point of the universe, and a shift in that origin point caused the initial damage to certain lines of code? This would still allow for non-living entities to become Exceptions too, and in this way, the damage can be as much as it likes. Provided the damage only occurs on that one person's code, then everyone else will continue to be unaffected by it. Just like random mutation in DNA.

As far as I see it, this is everyone's RP now, so anything anyone says should have to be OK with at least the majority.

• Thank You
I actually like the idea of the universe introducing the Laws due to a certain event which caused an imbalance. The universe doesn't really need a will or semi-sentinemce for that. A lot of things follow the rule of equilibrium (e.g. osmosis of water to balance the concentration of solutes through a semi-permeable membrane) so even without a 'will', o think it could work.

Really love the idea that there might be non-living objects/places that have Laws by the way. Hopefully I'm on the same page, but for example there could be an indestructible glass cup that has the Law being 'inshatterable'? Or a staircase that's impossible to climb up to the top without revealing its caveat?

---

Edit note: I have to type all of this on my phone, so please excuse me if someone ends up posting before or really close to when I do...

• Thank You
Yeah I love the idea of objects being Exceptions too. That's a brilliant idea. Good Job for coming up with that!

And as a personal request, can we call things affected by laws as Exceptions? Otherwise I start getting confused as to whether these people are "affected by the Law" or "not affected by the law" as in, they're people for whom that normal law of physics doesn't apply.

• Thank You
Reactions: SamIO and EchoFT
Let's go with that and call them 'Exceptions'. It'd end up being a real mouthful if we kept repeating those common phrases after all. Ha-ha. Good call Yokai. :P

• Thank You
Also, with what I described a few minutes ago with the DNA idea, it would allow certain objects to be much more powerful as Exceptions than others. One item may be a glass that cannot shatter, but right next to it, there could be an apple that teleports 3 foot into the air then explodes, every 42 seconds, before reforming and falling back to the ground.

• Thank You
Well, I'ma sleep now. I've got a short day tomorrow though so I should be able to finalise the ideas I've had and wrap them up into a proper (hypothetical) thesis to present to people for evaluation. I leave at 7:45 AM GMT tomorrow, so anything posted before then I'll try and incorporate, if I think it'll fit.

• Thank You
I like the idea of calling them Exceptions. I was trying to find a simpler way to call people or things which are affected by the Laws much like i came with the name "Law" for this unique aspects in the interest check/discussion.

As for the genes it also sounds good to me but if we are going to alter non living matter maybe it should actually alter things at a molecular or atomical level maybe even creating new reactions that as a result it reproduces, in the case of living organisms, the allele pattern.

• Thank You
I was only using it as a metaphor, not as an actuality :D Altering molecular make up of the item would probably be a lot more confusing and unnecessary than simply saying that for example, the law of Gravity does not apply to that boulder. Perhaps if I use the metaphor like this: You're designing a landscape for a video game in a crappy program named Skyrim Creation Kit, and you drag that boulder onto the map. Normally when you ran the program, the boulder would fall to the floor, but in the case of this, you delete the keyword on the boulder that says "DoHavokSim", thus, for that boulder, when the program is reading the code, it will not try and make that boulder fall to the floor. (Havok is a physics engine, if you didn't know)

O_O

I'm very late to the party... and will refrain from sharing the ideas I had developed from the interest check since they greatly conflict with what seems to be the current flow and I'm kind of liking the current flow. I gave what I missed a quick scan but by the sound of it I aught to spend some time actually reading stuff D:

Uh, unless it's been answered indirectly or I missed it, I presume that one of the questions still to be answered is, if indeed the universe is restoring balance, then how would the exemptions contribute to said balance restoration? Assuming there's this amalgamation of exemptions, living and otherwise, how does their existence as exemptions make a difference? and along the same lines, in what manner has the universe become unbalanced because clearly it's not a moral backdrop of good versus evil. I feel the answers to these questions would essentially be the overarching plot and atm I can't thin of an answer.

Having said that, I will, when I have more time, go back and read stuff and think about any ideas I might be able to contribute. For the time being, this is me just saying I'm still around D:

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.