Infinity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan on keeping tabs, I just don't think it'd be fair to you guys for me to sit in the GM chair and not be effective. :3

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
This looks spiffy but I'm somewhat missing what the plot is? How everyone is related together for the overall theme?

Truthfully, that was the hard part we discussed a bit in the the Interest Check. I intentionally left it out here so whoever takes my place doesn't have to fit any obligation in that respect, 'cause I know their whim won't be the same as mine. ^.^;

Maybe the players are gathered together by an organisation that has offered them incredibly high paid jobs, without any requirement for an interview of any kind, they must simply turn up at a certain date? Naturally that organisation would be one interested in understanding Laws and manipulating them to their advantage.

• Thank You
Reactions: SamIO
Sounds nice. Question would be how is the job presented to them? What kind of job is offered to them?

• Thank You
That's a harder one to work out. Either the pay would be good enough that it's much better than any current job they could imagine getting, or private investigators are hired to figure out what to offer these people based on their interests and skills. As for how it's presented to them, I'd want to go with a good old fashioned anonymous letter, but nowadays it'd probably be more realistic to use an email.

i like the idea of having private investigators figure their interests and skills. What´s more is that it could potentially explain how did this organisation got to learn of their Laws.

I figured, maybe they could actually explain what the task entails BUT keep alot of the true nature of the work hidden from them.

• Thank You
That could work, though, I imagine a lot of the laws will look like simply incredibly good luck if you weren't aware of their existence. Considering my character's going to be working for the organisation, maybe she was responsible for alerting them about them? Either way, need to decide on a decent plot before the pre-plot is important.

• Thank You
Maybe people who have laws have a specific aspect that, while not nessesarily aesthetic or visual, makes someone with the right mind-set or tools capable to tell them apart. OR this organization could possess a figure with a law which can tell normal and law-users apart.

• Thank You
The second of those could work well, as it would be possible to use that through camera systems, making the whole searching process a lot faster.

• Thank You
Something that we had considered in the old interest check involved characters being the result of another individual's machinations, giving any potential antagonists a way of identifying them without searching if they know the right people. As I had imagined it, the laws are not a part of the character in any way except that they are uniquely affected — just a conspiracy of the laws of physics, really (Of course, a new storyteller means a new perspective. ;3). These aren't superpowers in any familiar sense of the word; they're breaches of intuition.

It's hard to explain. It doesn't help that I don't even know exactly what I want. ^.^;

I was thinking something along similar lines as to what the Laws are. These people, through some event, became exceptions to physics, as if they were bugs in the code of the universe. Much like a badly scripted game, the universe is a finely tuned machine, but these exceptions (which I think is quite a good term to give them since Law-user doesn't sound very good), are somehow skipped by a certain section of the code. You're right. This kind of thing is very hard to explain exactly what you mean :D

• Thank You
Maybe the players are gathered together by an organisation that has offered them incredibly high paid jobs, without any requirement for an interview of any kind, they must simply turn up at a certain date? Naturally that organisation would be one interested in understanding Laws and manipulating them to their advantage.
The problem I have with this is that while it may work for cyberpunk on the whole, what drives the characters to accept an offer they know is pretty shady? A good deal of cyberpunk as a genre has been pushing how far people are willing to go for cash, but there's a difference between risking being hoodwinked and stepping into the trap yourself.

Going on the thought tangent of private investigators, our characters could work for (or run) a morally questionable group of PIs that use their Laws to their advantage in gathering information and manipulating evidence. Basically, they're among the top in their field and work on-demand for defense of large, shadowy organizations or figureheads to make sure they aren't brought to official charges. That way, when (and if) their Laws are discovered, there can be a great deal of intrigue and cloak-and-dagger involving their disposal/manipulation/[insert nasty thing that could happen to characters here].

• Thank You
But how would they find that job in the first place? Any advert for it is going to be just as shady as an anonymous letter. In the newspaper: "Recruiting those who have observed the same peculiar phenomenon occur to them time and time again to be a private investigator even though your skill set is probably rather unsuitable for the job"

• Thank You
There is a difference between taking a job you know is going to screw you over and renting your services out in the criminal underground. No one asked for 'top bootleggers' officially in the 1920's, just like no one would ask for 'top evidence tamperers' in any time period. They don't tell anyone about their Laws, that's foolish and inviting trouble, but they use their Laws to make them appear more skilled than they are. The job would already exist, but because of their predisposition, the characters would been better/more cunning at carrying the required tasks out.

• Thank You
Hmm, I still think this is more of a setting which calls for evil motives and I can't really see where that would fit in here. Maybe the PI organisation they work for is the said evil organisation. Either way, Humans are incredibly curious and incredibly greedy creatures. Anyone persistent enough would come to know of these Exceptions eventually, and anyone that persistent would look to exploit them in some way, perhaps try to recreate the circumstances that cause the exception in the first place.

• Thank You
That's the point: the characters themselves are the 'evil'. They work for corporations, agents, and individuals to cover up and manipulate evidence to obscure true justice. Rather than make a big deal out of people hunting those with Laws down, you make the Law a part of the characters' lives beyond experimentation and use it as a means to an end. Should their Laws be discovered (and probably should, it adds interest), then people can hunt them down, but starting with shady people offering those with Laws payment for showing up seems like it's skipping a few steps in build-up.

• Thank You
You misunderstand. I was meaning that the shady organisation allows them to do their work, but keeps tabs on them, watches for themes common to all of them to try and figure out what causes an exception to come about. After all, I imagine it'd be very difficult to actually hold so many people captive when they have what most would call magic.

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.