Infernal Roommates

Inside the apartment, Gary's cellphone rang. He abruptly left the bonding moment on the balcony to answer it. On the other end was Meg, a girl from work. She asked him if he was doing anything tomorrow after work and Gary was amiss at what to do. He had taken Meg's offer once and it had ended with him leaving after she tried forcing her tongue down his throat. He'd been pretending it never happened while she made awkward faces at him during break time at the call center. Meg, for a human, was pretty.

But he couldn't risk a human learning what he really was. No matter what fun activities preceded the discovery.

"Ummm….sorry," Gary looked out the patio doors at Anna and made up an excuse on the spot "the new roommate and I are going out on the town and it'd be best if it was just us, you understand" He said, infusing the words with a bit of demonic suggestion to let her off lightly.

Anna watched at Gary walked inside. She shrugged and turned back to the sunset. She leaned onto the railing, chin resting in palm, content smile in place. Yeah, she could get used to this. The wind blew through the building tops, ruffling her hair. The sun had fully set as she caught the end of Gary's conversation. She turned, back leaning on the railing. She raised a brow in confusion. "We are?" She mouthed as to not interrupt. Perhaps he was going to ask before he got the call? Anna hadn't realized they were that close just yet. Getting there yeah, but she wasn't so sure about it.

Gary ended the call and nervously explained. "Sorry…remember I said I was complicated? Well that was a coworker who insists I'm not and I kinda made up something to get her away." He finished, coming back onto the patio.

Lovely, just lovely. A simple night tarnished, Gary fumed inwardly but maintained the nervous grin.

"We could go to this cyber café I know!" He said with excitement to try and dissipate the tension "Tomorrow it's ten dollars to play all day and they have every system and their games you could find" He offered, hoping the ploy would work. Just a friendly night of video games. He did enjoy them. Especially the gory fighters humans and demons were both fond of.

Anna burst into laughter when he explained. She doubled over, holding her stomach she was laughing so hard. When she finally calmed enough to speak she stood straight. "Haha, sorry. That's just hilarious." She smiled kindly thinking about his offer. Okay, she could do games. "Yeah, you know what, that sounds nice." She smiled excitedly thinking about tomorrow. "Well I'm going to bed. This was nice. Sweet dreams." She gave Gary a light hug before walking off to her room. She made sure the door was closed as she changed into her pajamas and slipped into her covers. Within minutes she was sound asleep.

"Goodnight" Gary said to Anna as she retired to her room for the night. Gary shut off everything in the rest of the apartment and went to his own. There was a queen-sized bed, a desk with his laptop and a three-tier bookcase. Since Gary didn't really sleep, he had bought the bed shortly before putting up the ad so that it could serve his illusion. He took his tablet out from its drawer and shut off the lights, then crawled into his bed and spent the rest of the night quietly reading through the works of Shakespeare. Tonight it was Macbeth.

When the sun rose, Gary rose with it and quietly went about his morning ritual so as not to wake his new roommate. Before he left for work, he put a sticky note on her door that read "I'm off at 4 if you're still up for Game Night"

Between calls at work, Gary would think of the coming night. Regardless of whether or not Anna came, he would be certain to have a fun night at the cyber cafe. Maybe that group of gamers who were always up for a virtual fight would be there. They were on the short list of humans he liked.

"Anna? You home?" Gary called from the door when he entered and took off his shoes.

Anna rose well after Gary left. She slothed around for a while before getting ready. Her day was spent at the local community center teaching pottery classes. They helped pay for college. She got home around three and sat outside sketching the afternoon sky. When Gary came home she was nearly finished. "Out here! What d'you think?"