Infernal Roommates

"Oh mostly it was a lot of harsh words and boots in my ass" Gary downed the last of his wine and food as well. "Would you like a second helping or are you watching your figure?" He asked when he stood up and picked up his bowl, then had it occur to him humans also offered more when eating He'd observed it at a client's house once.

Maybe he could learn from the more pleasant times he'd been out making deals and wasn't met with hostility.

"O-Oh no, I'm fine." Anna smiled picking up her dirty dishes. She rinsed them in the sink before placing them in the dish washer. "This was nice." She said softly. Her old roomates were in and out. They never really communicated with her much and Anna was pretty sure she didn't want to know what they were up to.

"Okay then, I'll just take my serving and pack the rest into the fridge" Gary poured himself another glass of wine, then saw the time on the microwave.
"Oh! My show is on" He said, this time actually excited as he took everything into the living room, set it down on the coffee table, and then turned on the large flat screen TV and flipped the channel to Deal or No Deal.

"I'm a sucker for game shows" He said to Anna from the living room. Gary liked anything that brimmed with human greed. The glee of winning and the despair of loss were spectacles that would make his exile bearable. "Do you like game shows?"

Anna giggled at his child like excitement. She followed shortly after with an an amused smile. She took a seat next to him sipping her juice. "Game shows are alright." She replied. When she saw what show it was she perked up. "Oh! I like this one!"

Gary started relaxing more as the show progressed, mostly telling the people to take whatever deal being offered. He used the first commercial break to put the leftovers in tupperware and let Anne in on a little more about the ficitonal life of Gary Welker.

"My family and I made a big thing about game shows. I want to get on this one someday"

He was struggling a bit with the fact he was really enjoying Anna's company. Was he getting too much into the character of Gary Welker and starting to lose a little bit of Gary the Demon? He would blame the wine, but his body wasn't affected by it in any way.

"That would be so cool!" Anna cooed excited. "I think you'd be good at it!" She encouraged kindly. She set her half empty glass on the coffee table. "Just Deal or No Deal? Any other game shows you'd like to be on?" She questioned further.
Anna liked having Gary as a roomate. He seemed like the more secluded type, liked to spend time relaxing alone, from what she has experienced. But she enjoyed their comfortable arrangement.

"Hmmm" Gary reclined on the couch and waited patiently for the commercial break to be over. He remembered some time ago there had been a game show called Truth or Date, or The Bachelorette, or something like that, that had intrigued him as it broke from the norm of the shows he normally watched when on Earth.

"Maybe if there was another show like The Bachelorette I'd give it a try" He joked as the show resumed.

"ReallY? The Bachelorette?" Anna laughed amused. She eyed him curiously before turning back to the television. His answer was surprising, he didnt seem like the type that would be into that sort of thing. "It's box numbe thirteen." Anna said simply to herself. She picked up her cup, walking around the back of the couch so she didnt block the television.
As she refilled her cup she could hear Howie Mendell. "Let's see what's in your box!" She could hear the crowd gasp in shock. "Oh...only two hundred dollars....and the boxes you gave up!" There was a dramatic pause as Anna stepped out of the kitchen. She leaned against the wall watching as they opened box number thirteen, "OH! five dollars, good choice....box number twenty three!....a thousand dollars!" There was a collective awe from the crowd. "And box number eleven!" Another long pause, dramatic background music, and the case opened to reveal the one million dollars. "Told ya." Anna said with a soft smirk. "That's the..." She paused counting in her head. "Twelfth time I've picked the right one?" It raised into a question trying to think back. She changed the number a bit not wanting to seem too boisterous. She had actually picked the right case every time she had seen the show, whether at the very beginning or when there was only a few left. She took her seat beside Gary again.

"Maybe you should try to get on then" Gary replied as she sat down again.

He had to admit, far as humans went this Anna was one of the more tolerable individuals he had encountered. Then again by virtue of his job, he'd been seeking out the greedy, petty, and desperate of the world. Some of the more pathetic ones had been what got him in trouble. They had inspired such pity in him he made up excuses not to take what was due another day. Then a week, and so on....

"Hope you don't mind me snooping..."He turned to her and asked "but do you have a significant other who'll be visiting often?"

"Oh, uh no! No. Of course not!" Anna stuttered out caught off guard by the question. It came from seemingly no where. Perhaps he has someone is would be visiting and is curious if I am? That would make sense. Anna turned her gaze to her cup lightly embarrassed. "U-Um, why? Do..Do you have one?"

"Oh no I'm...complicated" He said and continued "I was just asking so that you knew if you and them needed the apartment for a bit to just let me know at least an hour ahead"

Gary had stated he was 'complicated' without thinking, not expecting her to throw the question back at him.

Anna stuttered helplessely at what Gary was implying. Her face turned bright red. "N-No...I..I dont...that's....I...No I..." She averted her gaze from him with little success considering he was directly beside her.

What do you do when you embarrass someone so badly they stutter? Gary was at a complete loss as to what he should do.

Maybe regret and physical contact?

Gary put a hand on her shoulder and started apologizing
"I'm sorry...forget I said anything?"

"I-I-I...No, No its...its fine really." Anna stuttered out. She glanced at him with a small smile. She felt that he truley meant it and relaxed slightly. "It just, It just caught me off is all." She whispered.

Now, what was that all about?

Gary took his hand away from Anna and started flipping through channels as he pondered what had just occurred. Was that just play emotion, or something real?

Maybe he should change the subject.

"So….you're in college? What year?" He settled on a documentary about Rome. Oh those were the years.

"Oh, its...its alright. I'm goin for art." Anna said softly. She sipped her drink and set it on the coffee table. "That's what I went to the store for. The sunrise out there is beautiful. I uh, I was going to start painting it for my next project." Anna admitted.

"Yeah that view is spectacular, isn't it?" Gary stood and went to the patio. The city was noisy and could be cleaner, but at least it looked pretty up here. "Once you're done with that project you should get this view next" He leaned forward on the railing. This view was one of the few pluses to being exiled up here. Hell was fire and darkness battling it out all the time.

Anna slowly followed and stood beside him. "Best view I've ever had. I love it when the sky turns pinkish orange in the mornings. Its so pretty." Her voice was dreamy as the sun set. It painted the sky in dark purples and blues. Anna let her head rest against his shoulder with a soft smile. It was an affectionate gesture by any means.

Hmmm, this is...interesting, Gary thought when he felt her head rest on his shoulder. Did humans normally fall into such affection? Or was it just one of Anna's quirks?

Well at any rate maybe Gary Welker could be the same. He tilted his head to rest on hers and gave a sigh of content for the moment.

Anna gave a soft smile, content. "I like it here." She said softly to no one in particular. She relaxed against Gary's side. If an outsider were to see them they would have thought the two were a couple but Anna knew it was a friendly gesture. The two were comfortable with the other's company.