In The Still of The Night

"Fast healer, quick to die." he said rythmically. "Old saying from some greece poetry i read once... horribel translation though." he answered walking into the place and orderign the fries with foru different sauces.

"Well, I'm just a fast healer. it's complicated." he answered, ordering a icewater as well.

"But still, even if you were a quick healer...that wouldn't be...I don't know...maybe I'm just overreacting."

The plate of fries was handed to them and Rose silently took one and nibbled on it. She still thought that it was close to impossible for someone to heal that quickly...but maybe he's right. Maybe he is just a quick healer. But, did he have something to do with the mansion? Rose looked outside and noticed that the sun was completely gone and replaced by the moon. Looking at her watch, Rose set down the fry on a napkin and stood up.

"It's dark...I should be going home. I'll see you tomorrow." Rose tried to conjure up a smile, but she couldn't help but feel as if he was holding something back. Something important. But it was his life, why should she be snooping around it? It's not like they were childhood friends or anything, it was just that she wish she had someone like that.

Walking home, she stopped by the mansion and saw the moon peeking over the top of one of the towers. Sighing, Rose turned back around and almost ran smack into someone. He looked roughly about her age and she couldn't help but think that he was fairly good looking--no really good looking.

"Um...excuse me," Rose started kindly. "I have to get home."

"That's not going to happen beautiful." Said a voice behind her. Rose spun around and saw another young man the same age and Rose was starting to feel her heart race.

Turning back the first boy was significantly closer to her and she yelped. Stumbling back, Rose ran into the concrete wall and iron rods sprouting from them. The two advanced as she leaned up against it, as if it would provide some kind of protection for her.

Jack was pulling up soon after her, and saw the boys in red coats.

"grr... CLan Draida..." He grunted, speedign forward, his bike came barreling towards the boys and he spun to teh left creatign a dramatic cloud of dust.

" Draida.. what are YOU doing here.. this is Damon Land!" He exclaimed in a commanding tone. why hadn't the elders at the mansion sent someone after these pricks yet? He was met with wry smiles and unconcerning gazes...then he saw rose, and hsi heart skipped a beat... this was not going to turn out well.

Rose heard yelling through the sudden cloud of dust and Jack behind it. One of the boys pulled her towards him and wrapped his arm tightly around her neck, almost making it difficult to breath.

"Clyde," He said to the other boy. "We've got her, let's go."

Rose started to struggle against his grip, but when his arm tightened around her, she stopped. Her eyes were wide in fear and she was on the brink of tears. Suddenly she felt what seemed to be two small knives against her neck and she let out a sob.

"I love it when they cry." He said into her neck and she closed her eyes, hoping that whatever was going to happen would happen quickly.

Jack huffed a few times and growled at the two boys.

"You.. will let go Of that human right now, and leave this place." he struggled to keep his fangs hidden. a light turned on int eh mansion behind the boys.. they woudl not see it. Jack tooka step forward threateningly.

"Did you hear me? Let.Her.Go." he said with sinister calm in his voice... that was his gift... not fighting, but hsi presence woudl be impressive were he not a seventeen year old boy.

Rose heard the word "human" come from Jack's lips and she was suddenly confused and scared at the same time.

Human?

It was when she felt the pressure on her neck get stronger when she realized it.

But, no, that can't be....they're just myths!

The boy's other arm slinked around her waist and pulled her closer to him. She let out a gasp as she felt the air being pushed out of her lungs and a tear rolled down her cheek.

"Please," She begged and the boy chuckled.

"Man, I am just loving this. Come on, beautiful squeal for me." He whispered to her and Rose let out another sob as she tried to pull his arm away.

Rose didn't know what was going on, all she knew was that she wanted to stay alive and she wanted to go home away from here.

Jack growled again and then he saw the front door open. it was two of his sparring mates, Jason and Warren. He pulled off his coat and cracked his knuckles.

"Then you leave us no choice... preparefor the true death." he said, grittign his teeth. he shot a glance at rose that said " I'm sorry. In a deft blow that even the vamprie holdign her coudln't have predicted, Jack grabbed the mans hand holding the knife to her throat, after closign the gap between them impossible, and crushed the mans hand, knife still held ther as he literally THREW rose ten feet to where her bike was sitting.

"RUN AND DON'T LOOK BACK!" he yelled, recieving a hard right hook fromt eh other man square in his face. she woudl catch a glimpse of his fangs moments before that.

The other two boys woudl get there just in tiem to pull the secodn assailant away from jack, the battel was on, and theri blows broke ribs and tore assunder flesh. Jack smashes his other fist intot eh guys arm that held the knife and heard a crunch, lookign at Rose.

'before any of them see yoru face.' he pleaded in his head, his words traveled through space adn time, arrivign at her ears almsot before he thougth them

"BEFORE THEY SEE YORU FACE!" came the plee in her head.

For a while, Rose couldn't move. She was still trying to get over the fact that she was just thrown ten feet. She didn't even think that was possible.

For a while, Rose just lay there, trying to regain her breath. Then she heard something like a whisper and then it turned into a shout directly in her head, like music that just blasted through the eardrums surprisingly.

"Ah!" Rose shouted as she covered her ears, as if it would make it go away.

He was pleading her to go away, to run and never look back.

Yeah, well I can't do that with the feeling of 125 pounds crushing me.

The boy looked at her and smirked. He put the knife away and Rose was scrambling to get back up, but he was too fast, within seconds we was inches from her.

"I was going to be gentle," He started, flashing his fangs. Rose was starting to feel the fear once more take over her body. "But i am so hungry." He whispered in her ear. As he came to bite her neck, Rose quickly blocked it with her hand, but the shriek of pain was unstoppable.

Jack growled out again, tossing the brute he had in his grasp against teh wall as his two friends came past him.

"Lord, DArius!, whats going on?" warren asked.

"Seize these men!" He yeeled back as warren made a leapign dive, landing on the mans back who was after Rose and beginnign to brawl like a pro with him, both their fangs were out, and the knife was forsaken on the ground suddenly as Jack and Jason held the other vampire to the stone wall.

"You BASTARD!" yelled the yougn man in question, clearly overpowered by the combined effrot of jason and JAck.

"Die quietly, you piece of filth!" JAck said, he and jason both bent down the metal wire of the fence-wall towards the guys nec, and pinned him there, they then let go, and as he struggled with the ironwork, they both grabbed his feet and began to pull, the bones in his neck starting to creak as his eyes bugged out. the fool knew what was comign and began to panic. his panic woudl be the end of him as his struggles wrenched his spine loose and his head came off clean and bloody. Rose woudln't have seen this, because of the fighting between Warren and the guy who was trying to bite her.

The assailant broke free of warrens grasp, breakgin his arm in the process and taking a few steps back as jason and jack stepped up, givign him the vampires glare, full teeth and everything. The man growled in his throat. Jack spun around to the lef,t nad warren to the right... he was surrounded, and jack was standign between him and Rose.

"Your move..." he said, bowing slightly.

Rose looked at her wrist as the vampire was pulled away from her. The blood was still spilling out and she was quickly losing consciousness. Her breath was slowly getting heavier and her vision blurred. She was now glad that she was laying on the ground. The young man smirked, his lips dripping with her blood and looked at her.

"If you care about the human so much, maybe you should take her to a doctor. She's going to die if that wound isn't treated."

Rose looked at hime, then back at Jack.

"Jack..." she managed to get out. "....my wrist....it's....it's bleeding..."

Her vision was fading and soon it turned into darkness.

"you.. you son of a bitch." he said, pointing his finger at him. He very rarely used his pull in the clan... and tonight was only the first time since they moved to thsi new location that he had done so. He frowned and put his thumb down, the other two emmediately giving chase to him as he swept up Rose. He carried her in his arms, running into town like a bat out of hell, his left hand clasped tighton her wrist.

He knew this was a race against time, and wasted no energy speakgin to her yet. his expression was one of sheer force and determination.

Rose slowly came back to consciousness and slowly looked around. She was in a room shes never seen before, the curtains were pulled closed and a small sliver of sunlight leaked through them. Realizing the time, Rose shot up and tried to stand, but a wave of dizziness hit her and she collapsed back on the bed. Looking at her wrist, she saw a white bandage with a small patch of red and the events of last night rushed back into her.

Another thing she noticed was that she was wearing a different set of clothes and her heart started racing, making herself dizzier. The door knob turned and the door opened, causing her to stand up quickly just to collapse again.

Jack entered the room holding a breakfast tray and lookign like he hadn't slept in days. He set it down next to her on the table and sat on the chair close to the bed, yawning.

"Man it sucks beign me sometimes.." he said, not realizing the potential joke involved in his words. He took one fo the cups of tea from the tray and took a sip.

"mm chamomile..." he sighe,d trying to relax. "Rose.. please tell me you don't remember last night." he said, starign at the ceiling.

"Because I'd like to forget it too...all of it. every single night full of hidden agenda's, civil wars, and hotblooded skirmishes with no point." he let the last part of that sentence end with another gulp of tea.

Rose frowned.

"I have a bandage wrapped around my wrist and i can hardly stand up. Unfortunately i do."

She took the cup of tea and glanced at him and saw his fangs. She looked away quickly and took a sip of tea. Her heart was racing and she slowly scooted back.

"Jack...I have no idea what is going on. Please tell me, I'm scared."

"YOu should be scared.. its a natural reaction that saves us from ourselves." HE said, puttign the cup of tea ont eh tray again. Jack crossed his arms and stood up moments late,r ponderign his next move. During the tiem she had been out, he had contacted his master, Lorenzo. Lorenzo told him that this was a very dangerous undertaking, but To follow his instincts. Jack hated it when master Lorenzo was so cryptic and trusting of a nineteen year old's judgement.

"You just witnessed a gangwar thats been raging under cover of the night for more than two hundred years." he started. " THere are secret societies everywhere throughout history, each of them vary widely in their acceptance of member,s and their employment of dogma's. In short... I am part of what you call a covenant. A gathering of people with mroe than a few things in common. we live at the mansion outside town, and I am.. We all are.."

Jack stood still from his pacing around the room and sighed heavily, uncrossign his arms and looking out the window.

"I am a legend made real. A myth nobody wants to admit is true. Vampires exist. and so do many other impossible and unlikely things." he laughed a little,

" I can't believe im saygin this but... I am a vampire, Rose..." he turned around, to face her and stared into her eyes, unmasked, they were as red as blood.

"Welcome to the fairytale." he finished, trying not to smile.

Rose saw his crimson red eyes and then looked down at her cup of tea. She had a sudden idea and looked at her wrist.

"But if the legend is true, what will happen to me. You know...my wrist?" She asked, she gestured to her bandaged wrist and frowned.

"Also...what about my mother? She'll be worried sick and--why did they call you Lord Darius?" She asked looking back at him.

Her heart was racing and she didn't know what to think. She was expecting another walk home, but instead she was almost sucked dry by a...a vampire.

"i'm special tot eh clan, lets leave it at that." he said, waving it off. "Your wrist is healed.. its that simple." he said sweetly, sittign back down.

Well, you took that alot better than i thought.. but you've only been out for a couple hours. We'll be late to second hour if we leave in.. fifteen minutes." he siad, checkgin his watch.

"My master, lorenzo covered for you... uhm.. my.. entire clan knows whats happened." he said, trying not to look worried.. he was.

"I doubt i have to sayt he obvious abotu this situation, Rose... you.. anybody.. nobody can know." he said, rubbing his wrists nervously.

Rose kept looking at her tea.

"I'm sorry," She muttered. "I didn't mean for anything to happen...it just...happened. But I can hardly stand up without the world spinning, so I don't think I'm good to go yet. But what about this...this clan? What happens now that I know about it? I'm not going to tell anyone," She gave a spiteful laugh. "I don't have anyone to tell, Jack."

She glanced at her wrist and sighed.

"I just won't...talk to you anymore, I guess. If it's for the best of us, then i won't. I'll go back to how my life was and will be and you to yours. Okay?"

"I told my clan you where my only friend in town..." he said. "it.. its not a lie, nobody at that horrible institution likes me, and i dont blame them." he threw his hands up in the air, frustrated with himself.

"I an't let you just walkl away from this." he stepped forwar and put his finger in her face, pointedly. " You... are in on the worlds best kept secret. your knowledge is a thousand times mroe dangerous than you can imagine... especially since that bastard who tried to kill you escaped." he added, takgin his had away.

"i.. i have to protect you now...And.. well, i can't say i woudln't mind having a friend to talk too" he said, sittign back down, mentally exhausted.

"I'll call Mr. sargento our PR guy and he can cover for you for today." he said. "by the way.. forget everythgin you know abotu vampires... about all thats true is we live a long time, And we're drink blood." he didn't know why he felt he had to say that to her...

Rose looked at him and then back at her tea.

"So, I'm guessing that if i were to not take the protection I might die? Forget about the fact that you drink blood, okay that I can deal with, but this whole gangwar-clan thing is gting a bit confusing. What happened, and...and...I don't know, it's just...I don't know how to react."

She set mug on the tray and clasped her hands in front of her. The world's best kept secret, it kind of made her laugh inside. Everyone knows about them, but they think it is some myth.