In The Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I'm sure you were more help than you realize. Even just being there can make a difference. Helps predict the prey's path," Nicholas responded. Often, he'd wished for even that much in a partner- if anything, with the practice he had now, having someone stand there would mean he'd rarely miss a meal again.

And neither would a wolf, with flesh to munch on. An idea was tickling the edges of his mind- but that was as far as it would get. His brain was still too addled to pursue the thought very far. He was sobering up, sure, but not quite there. Not yet.

"...I suppose. Either way, I haven't been doing well on my own, and I'm sure it'll continue like that. Not much I can do about it, unfortunately." Jack said, running a hand through his hair "I'm....sure you know how it is, yea? After all, we seem to be in the same boat in this case."

There was a solution to this, and that was to ask to partner with this man. However, he wasn't sure if he could trust him, much less work with him. They didn't know each other. Asking just seemed....odd in general, and he felt awkward asking, so he just didn't. He figured it was for the best. Nicholas would probably say no either way.

The vampire chuckled. "Yeah. Yeah, it's rough," he agreed. "Have you thought about finding a new partner?" It seemed like the obvious next step- though, Nicholas hadn't exactly been doing that, himself. He could hardly even remember what it was like, agreeing to partner up with Lenn- did they go at it immediately? Did they ever formalize the agreement? Or did it just... Happen?

The itch of an idea was still there, and it burned, but the vampire couldn't quite recognize it. He tried- and was interrupted by the waiter, who brought over the food that Nicholas had ordered, with a greeting and a warning on the temperature before leaving the two men back to themselves. "Help yourself," Nicholas offered to Jack, yet again.

Jack looked at the wings, before shaking his head and refusing once more. He honestly felt uncomfortable taking food that other people paid for; it just felt odd to him. So, as a general rule, he just didn't, and today would be no different. Besides, the man was a stranger. Possibly if he was a close friend, Jack would accept. But, even then, maybe not.

That was way too much though put into food, though. He smiled wearily at Nicholas "Ah, well, not really. I haven't had much time for it." He replied honestly, shrugging his shoulders "I've been too busy worrying over other things, like meals and all that. I also just figured it wasn't exactly.....possible? I don't know, it just seemed unlikely and something that probably couldn't happen."

Jack denied them once again, and the vampire shrugged. If he wasn't going to take them now that they were in front of him, Nicholas had to wonder if the offers were in vain- but the thought was soon pushed aside. It was unimportant, and anyways, those wings smelled good. He reached and picked one up, and took a bite. Still hot, unsurprisingly, but good. Or that was just his tongue burning.

Nicholas nodded. "I've felt similarly," he admitted, after coaxing the first bite down his throat. "But I do remember it being easier with a partner." He tried taking another bite, and swallowed it much more quickly, learning that the meat was still, in fact, hot. "Do you remember how you started with your last partner, where you met him? See if you could do something similar, again?"

"I don't even remember how we met." Jack admitted rather sheepishly, rubbing the side of his right arm with one hand "It's a bit of a blur, and it was a while back. I suppose I just thought it was unimportant. I regret not remembering it now, but there isn't much I can do about it at this point. And, I can't recreate it or try to if I don't even remember how it occurred."

He did regret it. It would have probably been useful to keep a diary or journal, something to record what happened. However, he didn't, and he was left with nothing. He never really had had a good memory, but he never thought it would end up harming him more than a few missed appointments. Obviously, he was wrong. It wasn't useful to start keeping records now, though. He didn't have anything worth recording.

With a smile, Nicholas nodded. "I can't say I blame you," he started, then chuckled. "I don't really remember how L- my partner and I started off, either." He shook his head, and tried to roll around in his memories. But it was difficult, at his age. Lots of things started to blur and fade with time, while others remained crystal clear. Would it always be like that? Or would he forget those things, too, as the years piled on?

He glanced at the food in his fingers, and blinked. There was something... Something.... Right there, in his mind. An idea.... With wide eyes, Nicholas looked up at Jack. He'd remembered. "We both need new partners. I don't suppose- we- we, us, two- we could team up? Try it out?" No build up. He'd just blurted it out, then, a moment realized, and leaned back in his seat. "Er... At least temporarily, maybe." The tact of proposing something like that caught up with him, and shyly, Nicholas looked back down to the table, glancing up at Jack after a moment to try and gauge his thoughts on the idea.

Jack was rather surprised at the suggestion. He actually hadn't thought of it himself, though it was a obvious solution to both their problems. It just flew over his head. He supposed it was because he was a bit tired, but that wasn't much of an excuse. It was a good, solid idea, one that could help him- and the other man, of course -get food. And company. Company was good, too. Jack wasn't sure of the last time he had a decent person to call a friend.

"That.....sounds like a very good idea, if I am honest." He admitted, smiling a bit "I do need some help with the whole hunting....thing. I suppose we both do? So it helps us both out. Though that's obvious." He rubbed the back of his head sheepishly "So....yes. Sure."

A slow grin spread over Nicholas' face as he realized that Jack had accepted his offer. It grew wider as the reality of the situation continued to hit him: he had a partner again. Even if it was just a temporary thing, he had a partner again! No more hungry nights or weeks because he was too slow or too clumsy to catch enough to sate his thirst, no more lonliness for days and days on end.

"Then- wonderful! Thank you!" Perhaps Nicholas sounded too gleeful, but it was certainly not without basis. "Then, hm, are- are you staying anywhere, right now? Or just traveling? I've been hiding out in a foreclosed house in this town for a few days now. Not exactly prime luxury, but it's still nice to sleep under a roof."

Jack was a bit surprised at how happy Nicholas was. He supposed it made sense, though. Having a partner was nice, and they had, though it was very casually, just concocted a new partnership between them. However, Jack knew that HE certainly wouldn't be happy to get himself for a partner. Either way, though, it didn't matter. It was beneficial for the both of them, no matter how much that varied between the two.

"I have a hotel." He replied after a moment, rubbing the back of his head as he spoke "I'm not exactly.....poor. So I get decent sleeping arrangements. I suppose you do too, now." His eyebrows drew together slightly as he continued "A foreclosed house sounds rather......uncomfortable? No offense. Even having a roof, it seems rather awful."

His new partner didn't seem quite as elated as Nicholas felt, but the vampire found that easy to ignore, between his own joy and the alcohol still running through his blood. But with a breath, we calmed his smile down to something more casual, and more appropriate, and picked up another wing and took a bite. No need to be rude to the bar, after all, and they did taste pretty good.

Nicholas shrugged at Jack's comment. "I mean, it's no luxury, but it his its benefits. No other people, no one to mind what I come back looking like, and no fee to pay. I've also got some money saved up, but I rather enjoy spending it in places like here," he explained, and waved a hand around to indicate the bar. "And anyways, the cold doesn't bother me, and there's still some furniture to sleep on."

"....Ah." Jack said awkwardly, though he still could imagine doing it. Again, it just sounded uncomfortable. He supposed a vampire like Nicholas would have more of a reason to do it than he, considering vampires didn't seem to mind temperature. It was also that Jack made sure that even alone, he came back respectable looking. He didn't have to work hard to remember to come back like that. He simply just did. He didn't drink, he cleaned up if a meal ever became 'messy'. He also didn't mind the fees.

"It would probably be helpful to stay in the same place." He began after a slight paused, flashing a small, sheepish smile "I have to be honest, I'm a bit worried that I'll lose you after just getting you as a partner. In a literal sense, of course! I mean, I don't mean death." He stumbled over his words at points, trying to fix up what he considered to be a slight blunder. He really didn't want to bring up death or anything that sounded like it at the moment.

Nicholas laughed. His new partner's- partner!- fumbling with his words was, frankly, endearing, and the thrill of no longer being alone made him all the happier. "Oh, don't worry about it, you won't lose me that easily," he promised, and took another nibble from his food. "In either sense," he added, after a thoughtful chew, and gave Jack a grin, to convey as well as he could that he didn't mind the phrasing the werewolf had chosen.

"But I think you're right. Staying together would be a good idea. I'm guessing that you don't want to join me in my shell of a home?" Certainly, if his previous reaction to Nicholas' accommodations were any indicator. "It wouldn't be fair for me to freeload, however, so I can pay for half of the room for the rest of your- er, our, sorry- our stay. Have you prepaid? If so, I guess I'll just pay you back. Otherwise, we'll just get the hotel to bill us each half?"

"You don't have to pay me back for this stay." Jack replied hastily, immediately feeling bad that the other had even offered to pay part of the bill "Really. It's prepaid and all, and there's really no need to pay me since I originally got the room for myself."

Jack was the type of person to refuse payment. He liked paying for things for people, and he didn't like having his things paid FOR by other people. It just didn't sit right with him. However, if Nicholas pressed, he would probably feel worse and simply give in to the vampire paying for part of it. Jack was a pushover, to completely honest. He always had been. It was easy to guilt-trip him into doing things, and being what he was, that was a dangerous trait to himself.

"Oh, come on, it's the least I can do," Nicholas protested. Jack had saved him from at least several more months of being without a partner, for one thing, and as much as he played up the foreclosed home he was staying in it was much less comfortable than a hotel room. Adequate, yes, but who wanted to settle for adequate?

"How long do you have the room for? If I give you half of what you'd have payed for between now and then... That ought to be fair, right?" Did he sound cheap? Probably. "Or I can just pay you back for half of the total cost, actually. Might be easier that way." That was better, maybe, though Nicholas doubted that Jack would take the offer. He should have started with that- silly him.

"The first one is fine." Jack said, quick to take the one that sounded like less money would be paid to himself. After all, he had a feeling Nicholas would continue offering if he didn't accept one at some point, and it did seem like a good deal "I have it til two days from now. And it isn't that much money, so I can still pay for all of it. It's not a fancy place after all."

Of course, the vampire probably wouldn't accept that, but he'd try either way. Jack felt bad, after all. And he'd continue to feel bad til it was over and done with. However, he could live with that if Nicholas went with the first option he had provided. That one, at the very least, made more sense than paying half of the whole stay, especially since Jack had been here a week already. Since the vampire hadn't been there that week, he shouldn't have to pay for it.

The vampire nodded. "Thanks," he said, and resolved to remind Jack about this agreement in the morning, when he could think clearly again, and when he could make sure that he was giving his partner the correct amount of money. It wouldn't put them off to a great start if Nicholas was short changing the werewolf from day zero, after all.

"No, no, I'll pay you back. Least I can do," he insisted. "Two days, though, huh?" Nicholas continued, eager to move on from the topic of money now that they had come to an agreement. "Where were you planning on going after here? Were you planning for anywhere, in particular? Or just whatever happens?" Nicholas was certainly in the latter category, though he was proud to say that he'd visited most states on the east coast with that method. He should have a map and track where he'd been, he though; but at some point he would have reached everywhere, and then what good would that have done?

(sorry!!! I took a short break because of internet problems and college touring.))

Jack shrugged a little, chewing his lip slightly "I've just.....been traveling around." He admitted a bit sheepishly, embarrassed he had no plans, "I go where I need to, and I really don't stay in one place for too long. It makes me uncomfortable. I didn't- I still don't, unless you have one -have a destination set after I leave here."

Now he assumed he did, though, considering he was now partnered up. Which felt odd- after all, he had been just wandering aimlessly, and if this man- Nicholas, he reminded himself, not just a man -had plans, which was probably true, than his wandering days were over. He wasn't sure if that was good or bad. On one hand, he had plans now. Something set in stone. On the other, he did like wandering, and seeing sights.

((No worries! Sorry about my own delay- just went back to college myself. Hope that the tours were enjoyable!))

Again, Nicholas nodded. "I've done much the same myself," he admitted, the idea of the map still in his mind. "I don't have any plans- I rather enjoy the aimless life," he added, and tried a grin. Was Jack.... Nervous about his lack of plans? It was hard to tell, between not knowing the other man that well and his own current mental impairments.

Unless he was expected to have plans. The vampire blinked, considering. Well, no point in trying to guess; this sort of partnership only worked with openness, and anyways, what better way to get to know Jack than to simply ask? He cleared his throat. "But, if you'd feel more comfortable with something of a destination, we could set one. Is there anywhere far that you'd like to go?" Journeys together were supposed to be bonding, weren't they?

((They were! We checked out quite a few. Also, I hope the beginning of the college semester goes smoothly for you!))

Jack paused, honestly not knowing what to say because he hadn't really ever thought it over. WAS there anywhere that he wanted to go, particularly? He never looked into it. Overseas, yes, he'd thought about that, but that would be a tad difficult to accomplish, and overall? Probably not worth it. So that was out. And other than that idea, he didn't have anything else. He drew a blank on interesting places.

"I'll be honest, I don't have a clue as to where I'd possibly want to go. I would like to have a destination, it's much more organized, but as I said, I didn't have one before. I didn't really think it over." He replied with a sigh "So, unless you have something you'd like to see, I don't know any places in particular to set a course for."

Status
Not open for further replies.