In the Name of a Queen

Anton couldn't help but feel like he was being tested. He could understand the Queen's irritation with having to suddenly put up with a tournament in her honor, or even her unwillingness to admit that she did not want to give away a kiss so freely, but to give a rose to her knight - to Anton it felt like a taunt.

It was worse when Lampkin arrived at his shoulder and informed him that the Queen was rooting not for him, or her knight, but for a plain clothed huntsman situated at the end of the line. Anton knew that he was no serious archer though he was a fair shot, Lampkin was far superior in that regard, but he was a little disappointed to find that among those in the competition he placed as middling at best. He tried not to scowl when his arrow missed the mark and he was forced to withdraw a little over halfway through. Instead, Anton smiled and made his way to the dais where he bowed and took a space temporarily beside the Queen. There were always the competitions with the sword and the lance if he won those he was assured the kiss, and a place in her people's hearts.

"It seems the man with your favor has not done so well either," he smirked when three rounds later the knight, Sir. De'Arbolshire, was knocked out of his placement as well. Anton noted that while he withdrew to the sidelines to watch with the others, the man's head turned far more often to look at the dais. He apparently still did not trust Anton with his Queen.

Eventually the numbers dwindled even further, and with a start of shock Anton realized that Lampkin had placed within the top three, alongside the huntsman and a knight called Sir. Bran. "Well I'll be--" Anton murmured lifting a hand to his chin. On the field all three men raised and drew, shooting one at a time at the same target. Lampkin and Bran's arrows clustered in the middle and the the crowd roared when they realized that Lampkin had struck a perfect bulls-eye. Seconds later they went wild when huntsman Barber's arrow split Lampkin's in twain.

The knight withdrew, and with the target cleared Lampkin drew again. Again a bulls-eye, but again Barber split the arrow, and then to prove the point he drew again and split his own. Lampkin stared, and then shaking his head offered his hand to the man conceding the match. It was obvious when one compared all the scores across the rounds that Barber was the victor.
"Well!" Anton started with a chuckle, "at least now I know why my man was so eager to talk to you about the archery contest earlier. He was hoping you would tell him who his competition was."

As the herald announced for the field to be cleared so the sword contest could begin Anton shifted, almost nervously, but stayed where he was. "They're doing the sword in smaller matches." he stated pointing at the wall where the archery targets were being removed. Behind the targets was painted a sort of pyramid scoring grid with little plaques hung on pegs in pairs along the bottom most row. "The winner of each bought will go on to face the winner of one of the others until there are only two left." He smiled almost shyly as he looked at her. "Might I ask your favor as well? that your knight and myself might face each other and you may see who the better man truly is?"

• Love
Reactions: moffnat

He is playing coy with me. He thinks that by acting the part of a shy, innocent king he may rule over my judgment to choose Nicoli and instead win my favor to his cause. I am no so easily won. His comfort at her side made her nervous, and she found herself drinking much more wine than a proper queen (or lady, for that matter) had ought to, but it couldn't be helped. It was hard to swallow that he wanted her maidenhood, her crown, her rights and not her love, and while his current actions stated the contrary she knew better than to fall for his facade. He had a woman in his room. His people dislike him. He is scheming against my country. But when she looked at his smile, all of that seemed to fade temporarily. I wonder if he takes smiling lessons from Ser Nicoli in secret.

"My favor?" she chuckled, seeing precisely what he was doing. If she gave him a visible favor it would leave the crowd another person to root for--Nicoli had been the people's favorite because of the rose on his sword hilt, an obvious token of favoritism from his queen, but Anton was a much more delicate matter. He can't possibly fault me for choosing my dearest knight as my champion. But deep down, she knew it was more than that, and Anne wondered briefly if Anton knew it too. That would make her position ten times more compromised and explosive.

Anastasia rose from the dias and gestured for Anton to draw his sword. When he did, she leaned down and pressed her lips to the cold steel, making sure the paint on her lips left a nearly invisible mark, one that Anton could see the crowd could not. "My favor, Your Grace. May your sword fly swiftly."

It was a clever trick, to be sure. Anton had the favor he wanted and the crowd would still root for Nicoli, seeing as he had the only visible gift among all the contestants. She won either way, or so she hoped. When Anton rose to take his position in the field Anne was careful to let him kiss her knuckles and take all sorts of polite gestures as would befit friends, allying monarchs, and afterwards watched him go to his tent for preparations.

Suddenly, it dawned on her.

Melee's were used for good sport indeed, but they could also be used as a tool of bloodshed. Anyone who wished one of the contenders dead need only treat with other swordsmen or set up a signal, a trick, and strike down the enemy in the name of friendly fire. Anton would have every reason to drive a sword through Nicoli's back and by agreeing to the tournament, she had given him not only the opportunity to do so, but to win the people's hearts afterward with a kiss and a handsome smile, all while his sword dripped with the blood of her most precious protector. There would be nothing she could do, either--by removing Nicoli from the race for both her heart and the tournament trophy, Anton would assure himself the winning position for the lance competition, the people would have their champion and their kiss, and before Anne could blink they would be shouting "Anton!" instead of "Mother of Mercy!", blind to all he had done.

Quickly, she stood. The reality of the wine rushed to her head and she nearly fell over, but Captain Oswin held her straight until she was certain not to topple on her own.

"People of ReValya and Leondeal alike!" she called, realizing that little mistake too late, "I hereby name this competition in friendly sport and not for the eyes and hands of those who would wish bloodshed. No one will be harmed by the sword of Lion or Sparrow, Leondeal or ReValya, on this day on a farmer's good-natured fields. Those who fall need only cry 'yield' to withdraw themselves from the race, loud enough for the judges to hear. No one will be maimed or killed today, not while your queen watches."

A majority of the contenders looked to each other with frowns and groans of disappointment, but the people cheered and Nicoli was safe, which was all that mattered to her. She sat at her dias once again and asked for another cup of wine, to which Captain Oswin began to object, and she promptly ignored him.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Falcon

Anton knew the instant that Anne bent to kiss his sword that his original assessment of her had been wrong. Saurella had already warned him and he really should have listened more closely to his most favored advisor. This little Queen, barely into womanhood, was no complete innocent. In fact, Anton mused to himself, she might actually present a challenge. The gaze he gave her as she rose was far more calculating than the way he had looked upon her at their first meeting, and as he made pleasantries and took his leave there was a hint of legitimate desire behind his eyes. No longer was this an easily accomplished task and a way to an heir for him. It had become a contest of wills, and Anton thrived on competition. It was time to actually put his pieces into play. He would win that kiss.

The king was one of the very few people to actually have a tent, his rank and wealth giving him what many of the other competitors could never have. In fact he could see the Queen's knight set up by a piece of fencing as one of his colleges checked the straps of his armor. That ridiculous rose had been ties to the man's sword sheath with a bit of white chord, and for a moment Anton had to suppress a thread of irritation that ran through him at the sight. He was unused to having to work so hard for what he wanted, especially not for a woman, though since finding Saurella he had not actually done much searching in that department since the first night she had granted him access to her bed.

With a sigh he pushed aside the canvas and entered his little area, only to find Lampkin waiting to help him into his armor. It was fortunate that there was a while before his first match. He had plenty of time to calm himself and clear his head. In a relaxed state the sword really was his best event. Odds were he'd be able to humiliate that knight, and the queen's choice in him in a fair fight. If not, there were other ways.

"I could just have him removed," Lampkin murmured as he adjusted Anton's shoulder guards, and Anton realized with a jolt that he had spoken the last though allowed. "Or there could be an accident on the field, there are dangers associated with this competition after all.

"No," the king snapped, "It's not just the people I need to win, but Anne. The world might see a man comforting a woman over the loss of a faithful servant, but if I have anything to do with the death of one of her people, things will become infinity more complicated. We need to distance her from her advisors, convince her to trust me over them, but that purpose is better served if she loses faith in them. Making her doubt her knight's abilities would be a good first step. Tis fortunate for us she did give out that rose, otherwise it would have been far more difficult to know which one to target."

When the Queen made her announcement before the start Anton was one of the very few who smiled. This could only solidify his plans further. If he could bate the other man, provoke him to attack in anger while his Queen watched what was supposed to be a friendly duel . . . yes, yes this would do nicely.

Nicoli and Anton had started nearly on opposite ends of the scoring bracket meaning that while each won bought after bought, they didn't actually face each other until three matches away from the one in which the winner was to be decided.

There was a decided difference, Nicoli noted, between those that had been trained to fight professionally, and those who did so only for sport. Those who practiced recreationally were quick to yield in order to avoid serious injury, while a few of the knights had gotten themselves minorly hurt by failing to yield at all. He understood that instinct, the one that said continuing to fight when all was lost would perhaps buy the time needed for victory. Yet this was sport and not a battle. There would be no retreat to cover or reinforcements to wait for. As he took the field against king Anton, Nicoli wondered which route he would take should he find himself in a similar situation. The other man had already proven how good he was with the blade, which meant there was every chance Nicoli could lose here.

They shook hands, they drew, and the moment the shout came for them to "begin," blades crossed.

Perry, block, thrust, overhand, overhand, it quickly became apparent to those watching that King Anton and Nicoli were nearly evenly matched, or at least it was to those who had no idea what they were watching for. Up on the dais Captain Oswin kept a running commentary for his queen, but he was almost lazy about it. On the other side Lampkin had returned and as he watch he murmured "why is he holding back?" it was unclear which of the competitors he was speaking of.

On the field it was clear that both men knew exactly what was going on, that neither was quite fighting with all they had, Anton because he was not being pressed, and Nicoli because he had not yet been given a reason to risk the anger of a King. Everything was about to change though.

"Is this how you fight for your Queen's honor?" Anton whispered as their swords crossed again, each pressing against the weight of the other and the sound of steel sliding on steel filling the air, "Or has she already been so free as to give it away?" Nicoli's next blow was more than enough to force Anton to leap away, but the knight's face remained expressionless and he said nothing, even as he internally quelled a spark of anger.

Anton, however, wasn't done. He knew that what was said between them now would never be revealed, and between the clash of weapons and the cheering of the crowd there was little chance they would be overheard. "Or perhaps it is the other way around and you spend your time searching for men willing to court her?" he hissed. "You will find it a comfort then to know that before this is finished I intend to have her wanting me so badly she cries out my name in her sleep."

Again Anton was met with silence, Nicoli firmly held himself back from rising to the bait, but as the king raised his shield to block Nicoli's next blow the knight felt a slight twinge spasm through his right leg. Anton saw it and took advantage. He dropped low to avoid the next swing and acted as if he was going to throw his shoulder into his opponent's stomach, but as he did so the king also slammed his shield into the side of Nicoli's right knee. Of all the people there Nicoli was the only one who truly understood what had happened.

Up on the Dais Captain Oswin bit back an oath as Nicoli crashed to the ground, sending up a small cloud of dirt, a sudden cry of pain ripped from his lips. Anton backed away from him, sword lowered, as if to give the man a fair chance to rise to his feet, concern painted across his face. The crowd shifted uneasily "Damn it, I told him not to fight on that leg!" Oswin cursed softly, unaware that the words had been spoken in hearing range of both Lampkin and the Queen.

On the field Nicoli rolled to his feet and reclaimed his sword, but this time he quickly and obviously put Anton on the defensive though every step he took was with a notably heavy limp. Yet Anton met each blow with his own.

"As if he wants to end this quickly before it gives out altogether," Lampkin murmured to no one in particular, "He's been toying with him this entire time! Does he not know what it means to humiliate a king? Someone will be hurt if this keeps up. If only he had conceded the match when he fell!"

"Your majesty," Captain Oswin turned suddenly to Anne, "You have the ability to end this now. Tell him to withdraw before he makes it even worse."

In the arena Nicoli had reached a similar conclusion, though he might have done so sooner had the other man not been attempting to fuel his temper. The knight slowed mid swing and suddenly sheathed his sword before turning and hobbling away.

"I yield."

A squire ran forward to offer him assistance from the field. There was no hiding the fact, as he was taken to a medical tent, that he was leaning heavily on the boy's shoulder.

Anton struggle to keep the rage from his face. The fool knight had just given every single spectator reason to doubt his previous wins. As Lampkin came to his side Anton grasped the knight's shoulder and whispered in his ear, "Do what you think you must, so long as it is not traced back to me."

Last edited:
  • Love

The instant that Nicoli fell to the dirt, Anne was on her feet ready to make some sort of call or shout, something, anything to end what she was witnessing. She couldn't tell if Anton had made an illegal blow or if Nicoli had simply fallen as a result of an overwhelming assault--it was hard to decipher with the positioning of the two men. It hardly mattered to her. It seemed as though her dear knight was struggling to walk, and while she saw no signs of blood, Anne could feel her heart pounding in her chest with worry.

"Your Majesty," Captain Oswin said with a tone of concern as he placed his arm gently atop hers, as if knowing what she yearned to do. He spoke lowly to keep Lampkin's ears oblivious to his words. "It is unwise to go to him. Not in front of King Anton's men. He may take it as a personal insult."

"I don't care," she spat back, facing him, visibly angered. "No one told me he had a bad leg. Not even you. Why didn't you tell me, Oswin? I never would have asked him to fight if I had known that he was injured. Why didn't you...why didn't he..."

He didn't tell you because he didn't want to disappoint you. Anne could read it on Oswin's face, and the realization made it settle uncomfortably beneath her skin.

Still, the captain was painfully right. It would be terribly inappropriate for a queen to rush from her dias to tend to the potentially minor wound of a knight whom she had given her favor to, instead of congratulating the man she might have to marry on his "gallant" win. The last thing she needed was more reason for Anton to spite her, if he didn't already. ReValya and Leondeal were on peaceful terms and had been for a century, but that could all come undone in the blink of an eye and if it came to war ReValya would certainly lose. Leondeal had the mountains and smaller cities at the base with fertile lands and plentiful harvests, not to mention gold. ReValya had nothing. Only a Mother of Mercy.

Gods, listen to me. Thinking about war for the sake of a knight. Anne slowly sat by her captain's suggestion, forcing a smile and a polite applause despite the little grimace on her face. "Well fought!" she called, hoping her people would applaude with her as a blanket of security. Thankfully, they did.

Praise him, Anne. Cover up your mistakes.

"King Anton, you fought long and hard to triumph in this competition. I look forward to seeing you compete with the lance as well. I am certain it will amaze us all." The words tasted like poison in her mouth and it was hard to speak with the threat of Nicoli's return to health on her mind. She couldn't resist a glance to the medical tent before looking back to Anton again, keeping her eyes as light and friendly as they could possibly remain.

"Forgive me, but may I take leave for a moment to visit the Head of my Queensguard? I will need to know if he wishes to compete in the final competition, or if I should send another knight to compete for him in my name." I need to know if my hopes of keeping you away from my father's crown have any validation left.

Last edited:
  • Love

"Of coarse, my Lady," Anton smiled, "you must see to your people. I have two more rounds to complete as well." He hid his scowl behind a frown of concentration as he returned to the arena.

Inside the medical tent Nicoli was being tended by an elderly court physician. The was was lean, his hair already white with age, bu his hands were steady and his eyes keen. They conversed in hushed voices, but should a person choose to stand directly outside the opening what they were saying could be heard clearly.
"You were careless."
"Perhaps."
"You know better, lad."
"Sometimes necessity must override caution."
"Necessity? And I suppose you think it is necessary to continue on in the competition?"
"I can still ride. You know that better than anyone. Besides, the saddle is gripped with the thighs and the lance with the arm. Neither is injured."
"And if you are unhorsed? if you take another spill and land on that leg in your present condition it's over Nicoli. No more sport, no more guard, you're done. I'll have the captain send you back to your uncle and I'm not even sure how much use you'll be to him."
"Then I'll have to make a point of not taking another fall, won't I?"

The doctor frowned at he young charge and he sat the young knight on a table so his leg could be stretched out. Nicoli's pants were rolled up and his boot removed revealing a leg that ended approximately three inches below the knee, set in a cotton padded, leather harness attached to simply carved wooden facsimile. The buckles were undone, the cotton wrappings undone, and the harness removed revealing that the knee area was badly bruised and slightly swollen after Anton's shield had slammed the buckles into the soft flesh. The end of the leg was nothing more than a badly scarred stub.

"You need to stay off of it," the physician warned setting the wooden leg beside the boot it had been carved to fit. "A sprain like this . . . I'll get you a crutch . . . and inform the captain you'll need help into you saddle. Light, but he's going to have my head for allowing this --"

The old man stopped short as he turned to find they were being observed.

• Love

He didn't tell you because he didn't want to disappoint you. Captain Oswin's words suddenly made sense.

"Your Grace!" the doctor exclaimed in shock, tossing a blanket over Nicoli's butchered leg and folding his hands across his torso as if nothing had happened. The look on his face told Anne that he had been caught amidst a foul deception, as if he had known about Nicoli's condition for years and said nothing to her despite how crucial such knowledge could be. "My queen, what are you doing here?" he asked as kindly as he could. "I had expected you to watch King Anton of Leondeal continue with his victories in the melee--"

"Piss on King Anton of Leondeal." Her hands clenched into gentle fists, still a Mother of Mercy despite how furious a woman's scorn could be. She met the aide's eyes with fire. "Out. Now. I command it."

"Your Majesty, I--"

"OUT!" With a strict hand, she pointed to the entrance of the tent and watched the white-cloaked doctor shrink away from his angered queen. If there was anything about Anastasia di ReValya that everyone understood, it was that she was the kindest spirit anyone could ever meet, and also the most dangerous when infuriated. Her temper was so carefully under control at all times that it was a rare occurrence when brought to fruition, but no one dared mess with the Mother of Mercy and witness what her rage could do.

He didn't tell me because he didn't want to disappoint me.

Anne stormed up to where Nicoli sat and promptly slapped him. When the silence infected the both of them and he made no reply, she slapped him again. "How dare you?!" she shouted indignantly. "How dare you keep this from me, your queen?! How dare you allow me to send you into battle and risk your life, how dare you risk the lives of your comrades, of your country, of your...of me..." But clearly they all must have known, right? Captain Oswin, Ser Tristan, even her father. All of them had to have known otherwise he would have been expelled from the Queensguard years ago, just after his butchery occurred. All of them were aware of Nicoli's crippled status yet none of them had said a word, even after her coronation. By rights, they should have told me. Damn them, damn them all...

She felt the tears sting her eyes. A queen shouldn't cry. Anastasia covered her mouth as she lifted the blanket carefully to examine the damage done, the marks of his absent limp. The stump was grotesque but healed completely, so the cut must have been made years ago, long before Anne was ever crowned. The wooden stump sat on the end table near Nicoli's head, still covered in his boot with mud from the arena. Anne let the blanket drop and quickly wiped the tear that suddenly fell with a trembling hand.

"How...uhm." She cleared her throat. "When...when did this happen? Who did this...who did this to you."

Last edited:
  • Love

Nicoli took the slap in good grace considering how on edge he already was, though the combination of adrenalin and pain in his system made it impossible for him to keep the displeasure from his face when she struck him a second time. He saw the tears in her eyes though and held his tongue. Were they tears for him, or because of him? He found both thoughts unbearable for different reasons.

And then she was asking him the hard questions. How, when, who? The story he had for years tried to avoid sharing because it dredged up memories that were nothing except painful. He considered asking for a reprieve, but one look at her face and he thought better of it. She was his queen, he had been stationed as her guard, she had a right to know.

He licked his lips almost nervously, this being one area where he was incredibly insecure, for what sane person would take the word of a cripple that he was capable of fighting? As he began to speak his eyes asked one question. What would she do with him now?

"It was a little over three years ago," he confided softly, keeping his voice low in case there was anyone else outside the tent. "On the Oger's march of the fall of that year, under the command of your brother . . . it had been raining much like it has these last couple weeks and we were in pursuit of a band that had been terrorizing the boarder villages. We chased the enemy into pass, I had been assigned to the scout unit, and there was a rockslide.

"By the time the main body of the force arrived four others had been slain, my horse was dead, and I was pinned, my leg crushed beyond all repair. I had maintained consciousness just long enough to give them the information they needed to complete the mission. After that . . . I must have blacked out. I'm told his highness made the call and cut me loose with my own sword, but all I remember is waking hours later in the medic's wagon with my leg gone.

"The entire journey back I remember thinking that this was it, I was going to be sent back, deprived forever of serving the land I love because of a freak accident. But your father had other plans. Perhaps he believed that a man offered a second chance would serve more loyally than the others, or perhaps he just wanted to see what would happen, but he offered me a deal. If upon recovery I was able to manage my artificial limb as well as my natural one, and provided that twice a year I passed any and every test the captain could throw at me in a manner that left no one in doubt as to my fitness for duty, then I could continue on as a knight."

Nicoli's hands clenched in the wool of the blanket as he studied Anne's response to the story. "I excelled where I was required to excel, and no one has ever been placed in danger due to my - imperfection. If you were not informed then it was a matter of oversight and not because anyone intended ill will, that you must believe. If anything it was an attempt to spare me from having to discuss it. You understand this is not a – comfortable topic. Which is exactly why I did not say anything myself. But I assure you that I am just as capable now as I was then, more so even. Should you still desire I can win the joust. I can unhorse king Anton . . ."

He did not ask, he would not ask, but his eyes were pleading, begging to be allowed this one chance to prove himself. The emotions that welled up in him were much the same as those he had felt so long before. If she sent him away, Nicoli wasn't sure what course his life would take.

Last edited:
  • Love

Anne hugged herself, rubbing her arms in a way of comfort that no one else could give her. Prince André was the brother she assumed Nicoli spoke of, as Allister and Arandon had neither the birthright nor the mercy to allow the cripple his place back in the Kingsguard. André had been less than favorited among the knights as his rash behavior often cost many lives for the band of brothers. It may very well have been one of those decisions that cost Nicoli his leg and provided the king with an opportunity to test more waters that didn't need testing, and that unsettled her. King Gregory had made sure that Prince André was exactly like him in demeanor and discipline, and while that ensured the love of the people of ReValya it also ensured their hatred as well. Under his rule things were questionable for the poor and even more dangerous for those without means to defend themselves--similar to Leondeal in the present day, though less violent--and while Nicoli's story was honest, it surprised her that André had chosen to spare the knight altogether. Curiosity of the king, it had to be. Otherwise there was no doubt in Anne's mind that her father and brother would have cast Nicoli back into the dirt in search of someone better.

Softly, she sighed. "No, I--no. I am sorry for slapping you, Nicoli. I cannot imagine how uncomfortable it must be for you to discuss this, but you must also understand how frustrated this has made me. The little things can often be the most important and I was deprived of that by you, by Captain Oswin, by anyone who would have given me better counsel. I have no doubt of your abilities. You fought King Anton bravely, you returned from the mist wood when I sent you both times, you have clearly proven yourself to every captain who 'tested' you. But the greatest test of all was to confide in your queen and in that, you have failed."

Anastasia straightened her back, folding her hands in front of her and desperately trying to reattach herself to the royal facade that had kept her alive this long. "I won't discriminate against you because of your condition," she said honestly. "I hope you believe that. After all, it would be terrible for me to judge a cripple as a woman when the biggest joke of all was being born without the right reproductive parts." She gave a soft chuckle. If he can dare to open himself to me, I can give him the same. "My father was always frustrated that I wasn't a son. He had three others yet a fourth was what he so craved, four strapping young boys had always been his dream. He didn't want any girls as most men don't, and yet here I am. He would always leave my tutoring to my mother or to some other instructor. Sometimes the only interaction I had with him were the few nights a month when he would read me stories at night. I can remember three times in total that he took time out of his day to spend time with me, and while I treasure those moments dear to my heart even still, I fear that three times and a few bedtime stories over the course of fifteen years is hardly expressive of any love he had for me. I don't think most fathers plan to wed their daughters off at the age of fourteen." Anne found an interesting rock on the ground and kicked it about gently. "He used to tell me of all the things he would do with me if I had been born a man. Sword fighting, lancing, chivalry--all of those I was spared because I was 'missing the most important bits', but I never heard how awful those words were because I was too occupied with reveling in the sound of his voice, the warmth of his hugs. What a fool I was, Nicoli. What fools we all were. If only I could have been tested as you were, to prove my worth, then things might have turned out differently."

Anastasia looked up to Nicoli from where he lay, and smiled gingerly. "You may compete if you wish. We will speak nothing more on the matter of your leg, for as long as you feel confident in protecting me I will consider it a non-issue. Us cripples have to look out for each other, after all."

And as quickly as she had entered, she was gone, a glittering galaxy of navy silks, diamonds and chestnut curls, leaving the scent of tears and flowery perfume lingering in the air.

Hail Queen Anne, Mother of Mercy.

Last edited:
  • Love
Nicoli stared after her for a moment, part of him in shock. He had never expected to hear something like that from her, something so personal. It touched him a way he hadn't expected, perhaps because he knew she had every right to be angry with him. Still, he wasn't about to look a gift horse in the mouth and if his Queen was going to give him a second chance then he was going to do his utmost not to let her down.

A few minutes after Anne left the doctor returned and the two of them set about making sure Nicoli was fit for the joust. His knee was wrapped, his false leg strapped back into place and hidden by his boot, and one of the squires on hand with a crutch to make sure he had no trouble getting around.

Lampkin, however, was busy about a far less honorable task. It had been fairly easy to find the stable yard where the jousting competitor's horses were being kept, easier still to figure out which horse belonged to the queen's knight. It seemed the stable men had lined the beasts up according to competition order. Lampkin memorized the appearance of the beast and moved on. He had a plan, but it would have to wait until the final rounds. He wanted to see if it was even necessary. For all he knew the Knight's apparent injury would knock him out of the race and there would be not need, or he would lose to another competitor. If not, well it couldn't look too suspicious.

Nicoli knew he was very close to overdoing it by the time the final round of the jousting competition came around. He had maintained his seat in the saddle as much as possible due to the amount of trouble it took to mount and dismount, but periodically the doctor insisted on checking on him, tutting over the condition of his knee and informing Nicoli that he was going to recommend that the knight be regulated to light duty for at least the next week. Nicoli was not happy with the news, but in light of the medical practitioner's current leniency in letting him joust, he made no argument.

It was as he returned from one of these checkups that he found Lampkin stroking the nose of his horse. The man made some excuse about admiring the buckskin and Nicoli watched him wearily as he left, but though little else of it. He would wish some time later that he had.

King Anton, it turned out had a knack for the lance. That or some of the other's were throwing their matches. Nicoli was not inclined to worry about that in the face of everything else. Though if it was the case he was rather annoyed because at the end of the day it put himself and the king in the top bracket, pitting them against each other. The final match, Anton against Nicoli, king against knight. The crowd was ecstatic.

Round one was entirely in Nicoli's favor as he struck a glancing blow, earning a single point.

Round two was not so favorable. As they charged each other Nicoli felt something begin to give in his saddle, and as he shifted his weight to make up the balance Anton's lance struck his shoulder, splintering on impact. Two points to the king. As he wheeled his horse around at the other end the squire ran out to check on him.
"Never-mind me," the knight snapped, "the girth, check the girth!"
"There's a tear in the leather sir, nearly completely through. It's an old saddle, not surprising. If you can dismount we can replace . . ."
"No time!"

At the other end of the field he could see the king lowering his lance and beginning the charge, Nicoli pressed forward a moment later.
"Sir, it's not safe!" the boy shouted after him, but Nicoli payed the lad no mind. He knew what was happening. If he took the time to repair or switch out the saddle it might be called a withdraw. That would give Anton full victory in two events earning him the kiss, the kiss Nicoli was sure his queen did not want to bestow. He had to win this. Besides, he had promised to unhorse the man.

Two to one, if Nicoli struck a glancing blow they would be tied and another round would have to occur to determine a winner. He was unsure the saddle would last another round. He was unsure it would last this one. A lance break would win it for him cleanly, but a small voice buzzed in his ear reminding him that he had promised to unhorse the king, that for his trickery and underhanded tactics Anton deserved the fall, regardless of the risk to his royal person.

The horses charged, laces lowered, and the strap on Nicoli's saddle broke.

The crowed gasped.

But Nicoli was a soldier and his horse war trained. Together they pressed forward, Nicoli keeping his weight as centered as possible, even with the lance in hand, and his horse knowing to keep its gait smooth. The saddle slipped, but he did not fall. He could not afford another fall personally, and the kingdom could not afford this loss.

The lances struck, Anton's breaking again, Nicoli's likewise, technically the victory should then have gone to the better rider, but Nicoli's weight had been forward to maintain his seat on the horse, and that added weight combined with his skill send Anton crashing backwards, over the hind end of his horse, and to the ground.

Attendants flooded the field, a medic rushing to Anton's side, the crowd cheering with approval when he rose on his own and waved to show he was mostly unharmed.
Others flocked to Nicoli's side, supporting him as he slid from the destroyed saddle, and removing his helmet so they could converse with him over the din of the crowd without having his reply muddled by the mettle. A stableman held his horse to keep it steady and another worked to free the poor animal from the broken piece of equipment.

"Are you insane!" Anton's voice rang out as he turned to the knight, removing his helmet and tossing it to the ground. A sudden hush fell over the arena. "Was your pride worth so much that you would risk injury to both yourself and to me? or the horses? What would have happened if you had fallen and the horses had spooked?" all valid arguments, all reasonable arguments, but Anton kept going. "In my country do you know what happens to those that risk the lives of their king? Kneel and apologies!"

Nicoli's chin lifted in defiance as his eyes hardened. He remained standing.
"You are not my king!"

• Love

Immediate silence fell over the grounds in every square inch, ever corner. Even a whisper would have been heard among the soundless chaos, among the group of thousands of onlookers from both ReValya and Leondeal alike, and all eyes were locked on Nicoli and Anton who had crossed the lines of friendly competition into somewhere much more dangerous.

Anne held her breath. Nicoli de'Arbolshire had just delcared war.

The man named Lampkin drew his sword and pointed it under Nicoli's chin, a devious smile on his twisted face. "He isn't your king yet," he told the knight, "but soon. And when he is, he can make sure that you hang for this and no one will be able to stand in his way again."

"And when was that decided?!" All eyes turned to Anastasia as she shot up from the dias, fists clenched, eyes narrowed to mere slits. Her rage was so threateningly obvious that those she passed backed away to avoid the fire spewing from her mouth, the earthquakes she caused with each step. Queen Anne di ReValya, Mother of Mercy, had transmuted herself to the Mother of Fury in mere seconds all because of Lampkin's claim. None tried to stop her as she crossed the distance from her seat to the center of the arena, but Captain Oswin and few other select knights kept pace with her as best they could.

She wasted no time. "Captain, restrain him!"

"What?!" Lampkin's curses and protests were drowned by the sound of his shocked cry as Captain Oswin kicked the back of his knee, causing him to drop his sword and buckle into the mud. Even Anton raised his voice but she couldn't hear him, so clouded was she in her frustrations and angers that nothing else was sustainable. The knights gripped Lampkin's arms and held him in a hopelessly useless position, and despite their height difference Anne rose to face him at eye level after her Queensguard lowered him to do so.

"What is the meaning of this?!" he barked. "You can't do this to me! I am not a man of your country, I have--"

"Diplomatic immunity?" Anne questioned, unfaltering. "No. That is not how things work in ReValya. When a man draws a sword on another that is considered breaking the law and can result in flogging. If one draws a sword on a knight and threatens his life, however..."

"I did not threaten him. I stated a bloody fact."

"No? I believe the words 'he can make sure to hang you for this' are not intended as a compliment, and neither is your claim that it is fact. You king is my honored guest and my honored guest is your king--that is the extend of our relationship, sir, and will remain that way so long as men like you are members of his court."

"Aye, don't count on that Little Queen." The look in his face then was laced with lust, so much that her stomach turned within. "Don't count on that at all."

"We shall see." Anne stepped back. "Release him." Captain Oswin shoved him into the mud. "The next time you threaten my most prized knight in front of me, or even a simple farmer or baker or any number of people under my protection, I will see that you suffer the same fate you wish to inflict on Ser Nicoli. Is that clear?"

"You can't--"

"Is that clear?!" Her voice had raised considerably, and even Captain Oswin flinched a bit. Lampkin looked up from the mud to Anton, silently begging for help but he knew the king was in no position to offer it. In temporary defeat, he nodded his head and said nothing else, shoving aside any who stood in his way and off to the stables to collect himself.

"Ser Nicoli," Anne then stated, "Apologize to King Anton for not addressing him formally and for knocking him clean off his horse." Apologize for doing what I asked of you, you sweet handsome fool. "Bend the knee and ask for his forgiveness. And King Anton," she said, turning to her guest, "apologize then to my Head of Queensguard, as he won the lance fair and square under the eyes of gods and men. None can argue it. When the apologizing has been made, I will retire myself from the behavior of children and seek a more fitting solitude for a queen with work to do."

The people were nodding in agreement with their queen, a woman that all of them claimed to love. Let them see how protective I am of them, she thought inwardly. Let them know all that I must sacrifice to keep them safe.

Last edited:
  • Love

Anton frowned as the knight began to fiddle with his crutch attempting to lower himself to kneel in a way that would not aggravate his knee further. The situation was entirely his own fault, and Anton knew it. He hated to admit it though, unless . . .

"No, No," he snapped starting forward and hauling the knight back to his feet, "No need for that. It seems I am far more competitive than I thought. I bated you earlier because you were holding back, and just now when you did not, I was angry over the loss. It is my own fault for insisting like being treating like any other competitor and not believing you would take me at my word. There is no need to apologies, being knocked off my horse has only bruised my ego, and I admit it was something I deserved." He clapped Nicoli's shoulder as he held the man upright, the look on Nicoli's face was one of open surprise and confusion.

"I am human, as well as king, and far too used to getting my own way. Let me buy you a drink and we can put any quarrels behind us."

"Thank you, Highness," the knight said with a bow of his head, "but you need not waste your time with me."

In the end Anton did end up buying the man a drink, but their talk was mostly of horses and armor, which both understood quite well, and Anton was partially distracted as he drafted a note of apology to the queen. He asked one of her own serving women to deliver it so that she need not see his face, or those of any of his men, if she did not wish it.

Dearest Anne,
I know you do not wish me to call you that, but the truth is that you are becoming very dear to me though our acquaintance has been brief. Your patient kindness and rebuke in the face of my many blunders warms my heart and inspires me to do better. I am sorry foe causing you trouble, I am sorry for the injury your knight took, I am sorry for my own hasty words, and most of all I am sorry for the words of my man which must have caused you some pain.

Please know, dear Queen, that I would never assume to win your heart, though I hope it. I heart must be freely given or not at all. I ask your permission to continue to court you, and know that as i do so I will obey any boundaries you wish to set down. If not, then I only request to continue on as amiable friends.

Ever yours,
Anton

"Court me?!"

Anne held the letter in her hands, her lips turned downward in a dangerous scowl. "He assumes I am courting him. He says I am dear to him. Ugh, rubbish, all of it!" Anne tore the letter in half and threw it across her bedchamber, bringing her knees to her chest and hugging them close. Diana sat beside her, rubbing her back in gentle circles as an offering of comfort. Next to them sat a platter of garlic crackers, various cheeses and grapes with two goblets of spiced cider, all of it forgotten and untouched.

"It smells of somethin' foul, I think," Diana said as she rose from Anne's bed to pick up the two halves of the paper, holding them together and trying to make out the words. "But I heard from that Ser Rickon that the Mountain King an' Ser Nicoli were havin' a chat at the Shy Maid for a lot of hours! Maybe he's a changed man, m'lady. He can't be all that bad."

"There was a woman in his chambers," Anne reminded her dear friend. Sweet though Diana is, she is hardly one to give advice. "His kingdom is in disrepair, his people don't like him, his men are awful and rude and lustful--did you see the way that Lampkin looked at me earlier? He was undressing me with his eyes right in front of his king, in front of the Head of my Queensguard. How bold can a man be?"

"As bold as any man is, m'lady. You know you're a pretty girl. Men know it too. That Lamp mister ain't the only one who thinks of ya when the moon is high and there's no one to warm their beds." Diana shrugged, placing the two papers neatly beside each other on Anne's desk adjacent to the bay window that overlooked the gardens. "I mean, that don't mean he's a nice fella, but you yerself once told me that ya can't judge one man by another man's actions."

Defeated, Anne rolled her eyes. She laid back on the bed and spread her limbs in search of comfort, eyeing the painted ceilings above her yet refusing to see them. "Oh, you're right. I know. But why would a man keep company with people like that? All of my knights are honorable and dutiful and would never say the things that Lampkin said so publicly, so...without remorse."

"Maybe Lampkin's a bad egg."

"Bad egg?"

"Yes m'lady. Workin' on the farms as a babe, me mum always said that there was at least one bad egg in every batch. You know, an egg you can't cook or sell or eat. A rotten one."

"A rotten egg..." Anne liked the thought of that, of one giant stinking rotten egg falling on Lampkin's lecherous head and making him run away home, never to be seen again. She giggled at the thought. "You tell the funniest stories, Diana." The queen sat up from her bed and padded across the tiled floors, looking down at the letter as Diana held it together for easier reading. She ran her fingers gently over his written words. He has a nice hand, that much is clear. And a nice smile, too. But Anne wasn't fool enough to think that good penmanship and a handsome face deserved total power.

"The letter is nice enough, yes, but there is still something going on here, something I'm missing. He wants my father's crown. He wants to rule my kingdom. I can't...I can't let him have those things so easily, not without further investigation."

"Wha're you gonna do, Miss Anne?"

Anne chuckled, taking Diana's hands in hers and kissing the knuckles like a mother to her child. "I'm going to investigate."

In a flurry of adrenaline and curiosity, Anne leapt from where she stood and dug deep into her wardrobe, humming a tune from her childhood, some song about princesses with swords and kings tucked away in towers. She pulled out a nightgown with a matching robe made of threadbare silk that would show her soft, pale arms, with fabric the colors of orange autumn leaves and a golden sun. "Help me," she asked Diana, turning to her with a look that was as giddy as it was mischievous. "Help me into this, curl my hair, put a little dab of perfume on and leave the makeup from today's tourney. I'm going to visit Anton, and I want to look as desirable as a queen can be to a dear friend. I need to see the raw intention in his eyes."

Diana looked horrified. "No, m'lady don't. Don't do it, he'll touch you and rape you and hurt you, please d--"

"Shhh," Anne whispered, placing a gentle finger of Diana's lips. "Hush, now. He wouldn't dare hurt me, especially not in my own castle. My men would start a war of their own just to protect my virtue." It was an odd thought indeed, how valuable a woman's purity was, but she didn't want to think on the subject much longer. "Come. This is all a part of the plan."

"A part of the plan," Diana repeated hesitantly, taking the silks in her fingers and doing as her queen commanded. At the end of the hour when the moon was high in the sky, Anne looked a sweet girl, beautiful beyond compare, pure and radiant, the object of any man's dream. She hoped to be the object of Anton's before the night was over. "Okay," Anne said, smiling and turning away from the mirror. "Oh! While I'm gone, summon Ser Nicoli here. You can speak with him until I return. I won't be long." Before Diana could object, the queen was gone, rushed down marble stairs and through wide corridors towards the wing of the castle prepared for King Anton and his men.

Perhaps it was a bad idea to leave without an escort. A few of the knights of Leondeal had emerged from their rooms to catch a glimpse of the beautiful young virgin queen that they had all heard about and never witnessed with their own eyes. Anne kept her head high and gave none of them the acknowledgment that they so desired, claiming within her heart that if she ever married Anton, one of her first courses of action would be to entirely replace his household guard.

When she came upon the door, Anne stopped and listened closely. Where are his knights? Why is his door unprotected? She turned behind her to make sure no one was watching, and as Anton's great red door came into vision, she gently pressed her ear up against it to hear what was going on.

"...a beautiful child, no doubt, but you should have no problem catching the girl..."

A woman's voice. Anne leaned in closer.

"Anne isn't as stupid as you thought she was. I can see it in your eyes. She troubled you today, but you want her as well I--don't look at me like that! I know that lustful look in your eye better than anyone, though whether you're thinking about her or me, I can't exactly tell. Maybe both."

He has a mistress. Anne was hardly surprised by that, a man of his age with no wife or children had to satisfy his needs somehow.

"Or are you still upset over the faerie thing? I told you, I've handled it, the little beasts are all caged up where they belong. I promised your ancient aunt that I'd deal with them kindly, and of course I gave them King Anton's prized treatment--"

Suddenly, the voice stopped. Anne held her breath.

"Someone's at the door."

Anne whispered a curse and dashed back down the stairs before reascending, hoping that when he opened the door she would still be climbing the steps and keeping her investigation under cover. When she reached the top, Anne prepared herself to face the king.

Last edited:
  • Love

When Anton opened the door his eyes grew wide in shock. That he had not expected the queen was obvious, that he had not expected her to come to him dressed as she was even more so. He was used to Saurella showing off for him, teasing him with clothing he could barely wait to remove, but to see the queen child like this – he had let his eyes gaze upon her form before he even realized the danger. Hinting at everything, yet showing him none of what he actually wanted to see. Dressed like this Anton was forced to admit that Anne was indeed a woman, and a desirable one at that.

He forced his eyes back to her face, and forced feigned concern into his voice. "Are you well, Highness?" He knew he had already blundered, so the only thing for it was to hide his desire and play as honorably as he knew how. For the first time that evening he was grateful he had bought the knight a drink, for now he found himself in need of an example to follow.

"This night air will give you a chill, let me summon one of the servants to build up the fire and find you a blanket or overrode for whatever it is you should be comfortable as we speak. Surly it must be urgent to bring you here at this hour?"

It was fortunate for Anton that he was still in his trousers and shirtsleeves, though he hastily reached to re-button the front of his shirt. Part of him was tempted to leave it open, let her see his chest and watch her reaction, but her coming to him like this seemed out of character. Until he knew her game he preferred to err on the side of caution.

Niccoli was still awake and reading a book by lantern light when the summons reached him. But as it was late and he was technically relieved from duty until his knee healed, he saw no need to go to the trouble of wearing formal armor as he might under other circumstances. Instead he threw the black and gold tabard of the guardsmen over his white tunic and black breeches, and took only enough time to grab and belt on his sword before he steadied his crutch and hobbled out the door, careful to keep his weight off the injured knee.

He was watchful and ready for a fight, though he hardly expected to be any good in one, as he maked his way slowly to the queen's chambers. The cool night air from an open window rustled hair still damp from a bath as he knocked, and a moment later he was let in by the Queen's maid and gestured to a near by chair. He settled into it with a sigh.

"Good evening, Diana," he greeted as he twisted to set the crutch against the wall behind him, "I trust all is well?"

It never occurred to him that this might be the first time Diana or her mistress had ever laid eyes on him garbed without his armor. Without the added girth of the metal plate that usually adorned his person he looked far less like an impenetrable wall, and much more like a sturdy farm hand that might ask any young lady for a dance at the local tavern.

• Love

"Anton," she said a bit breathlessly, having exhausted herself after running up and down the stairs twice. She cleared her throat and accepted his offer to come inside, cleverly averting her eyes from whatever parts of him weren't covered to keep her awareness of his own physique a mystery to him. The young queen stepped gracefully into the chambers and poured herself a cup of ReValyan wine resting on an end table near the lakeside window, and she marveled a moment at a rather peculiar mirror.

"I'm sorry for the late hour of my calling," she explained with a small, almost flirtatious smile. "I would have come sooner, but I needed a moment to collect myself. Your man, Lampkin. He upset me greatly today. But I know he did not speak with your words. You have been nothing but kind to me since your arrival, and I would never assume that you believe the harsh lies he spoke of me."

There was nothing more harsh to her than having to apologize to Anton for anything. She heard the woman's voice as clear as day, she knew that Lampkin spoke some shred of truth in the mud earlier that day, she had seen the rage in Anton's face when he was blown off his horse by her command. It was I who knocked you off that horse, Anton, and it is I who will make sure you stay off of it until it is proved worthy of you. Anne sipped at the wine and sat herself in a chair by the fire, letting it warm her skin though she was already a bit flushed.

I heard her. Where is she?

"Please, sit," Anne suggested as she gestured to the plush seat across from her. "I would speak with you awhile, if you would have it. I don't want to leave things between us the way they were back on the field. My behavior was...shameful, at best. I should have handled it better."

Diana opened the door for the knight and kept her head low, respectful, but also afraid. She had rarely been left alone with men in the past two years since her attack, and while she had been showing a significant increase in stability when alone with them she preferred to have her queen present. Dutifully, she hung up Nicoli's cloak and immediately went to the abandoned wine and cheese platter from earlier, picking it up and placing it on the table in front of him.

Was she scared of men? Yes. Of Nicoli? Not at all. He had a kind demeanor to him, something gentle and sweet that was rare for Diana to see in most men. The way Anne talked about him also helped her feel more confident in his presence, and while she knew there was legitimate things to fear in the likes of men, there would have to come a time when her bravery would conquer such hesitations.

"Good evening, Diana," he said kindly. "I trust all is well?"

"Y-Yessir. I mean, uhm. Lord. Knight." She bit her lip.

Diana had always had a bit of a stutter, even as a child when she was anxious or in uncomfortable situations. After her attack, it had taken nearly a year of speech therapy, paid for by Queen Anne, for anyone to understand a word that came out of her mouth. Sometimes the little habit would worm back into her demeanor and caused her to shuffle her feet, hoping he wouldn't be too frustrated with her.

"Uhm. Hm. Y-yes, all is well. M'lady went ta' see the king, she did. All prettied up. She's plannin' somethin' an' I think she wants ta' share it with you."

Diana reached forward and poured the knight a goblet of wine, smiling albeit a bit shyly. "How's the knee, ser? M'lord?"

Last edited:
  • Love

"Harsh lies?" Anton repeated the Queen's words almost to himself, and then to her added, "if you'll remember, Anne, he spoke ill of me as well." He said her name as if tasting in it some sweet nectar, and at her bid to sit pulled a second chair over to face hers across the fire. "He implied that I was only here for your crown and I did not take kindly to that." He stated as he poured is own wine and settled into the chair, crossing one leg over the other and swirling the liquid in the glass before taking a taste. "And that combined with my own show of temper gave you every right to be angry. There is nothing for you to be sorry for, I do not blame you in the least. I am a man, Anne, not a God. I have my faults and among them are pride and a tendency to be overly competitive. I do not ask that you over look them, only that you acknowledge that they are there." He smiled as he spoke, trying his best not to let his eyes glance over the way her nightdress draped over the curves of her figure or bared the smooth skin of her arms.

"Lampkin has been dealt with though. If he can say nothing pleasant he is to hold his tongue or stay away from you altogether, though to be honest I believe he thought he was helping. Something about forcing us to recognize the flaws in the arrangement now instead of later when a fight may cause greater harm." Anton shrugged as if to say he wasn't quite sure what his man had been thinking or how such logic could be helpful. "He is a fool."

Another sip from his goblet as he studied her over the rim, "if it would put your mind at ease, know that if I wanted your crown you would be facing an army now and not a proposal of alliance, or marriage if you will still conceder it.

"Did you receive my note?" A useless question. He knew she had, but he wanted to see her reaction when she though of it.

"Just Nicoli is fine," he told Diana gratefully accepting the wine. "We are both servants of the crown and therefore there is no need to stand on ceremony. Unless of course you'd like me to call you lady Diana? I guarantee you by birth we are of the same cast."

He was very careful with what he did with his eyes and expression. While he did not know the particulars of Diana's story, he knew she was fearful of men. He would do nothing to substantiate that fear. Rather he slouched in the chair and set his knee up on a padded stool that had been set nearby, obvious in his intention to stay in his seat as long as possible.

"As for the king, I do not like him," Nicoli continued as he carefully picked a piece of cheese. "But as he is a royal guest, that is the most I should say on the matter."

He popped the cheese into his mouth and seemed to think deeply for a moment as he chewed. Once he had swallowed he spoke again. "His men, they have not behaved inappropriately or displayed any unwanted affections toward you or any other woman you know? It need only be reported and the offending party will be dealt with swiftly."

In truth, in spite of his posture Nicoli was ready to march out crutch and all should she give him so much as a hint of a name. The look on his face was the sort one might expect to see on a protective older brother.

• Love

Are you not here for my crown? Anne examined his eyes and where they were looking around her body, keeping a gentle smile on her face despite all the questions he had raised. She had all the facts rattling around in her mind about who Anton was and wasn't, all of which based on proof and gathered evidence over the course of months and years. She was a lawyer with all she needed to throw the defendant in prison, and still she hesitated, ever wondering whether or not her facts had been verified. He seems so honest. How can I allow a liar to get into my head the way he has?

"Marriage," she said wistfully. "I haven't entirely thrown away the idea." It was an honest confession, despite everything she had learned about Anton and his ways. Anne still felt insane for entertaining the idea of letting Anton on her father's throne or within the sheets of her bed, but she still had more to unearth about the King of Leondeal and whatever else he was intent to hide from her.

"I received your note, yes. It was what inspired me to come to you. I admit the hour is late, but I had only just returned to my chambers and seen your words before I knew what I had to do. Forgive me for being so late."

She sipped the ReValyan red as she looked into the fire, watching it flutter and dance with the shadows. The glow made her skin look like the sun, gold and bright, and her eyes moved with the flames. "What is it you want of me, Anton? If your goal is not my father's crown, what is it? Tell me honestly. please." Anne looked to him with a hint of friendly inquiry in her eyes, reading his face for any sign of change or compassion or lies. "I want to hear it from your lips. Not Lampkin's."

By birth, we are of the same cast. It was hard for her to think that way, that a strong strapping knight would be in the same league as the daughter of a whore from Bendwater Bridge. He was educated and the way he spoke was dignified, almost highborn. I bet he can do maths too. All the smart people can do maths. Anne had tried to teach Diana some algebra equations once, but it was so complicated that Diana nearly cried and begged the queen not to do it anymore. "This is terrible work!" she had said, exasperated. "Please, Your Grace, teach me somethin' useful!"

Diana folded her hands and looked up to Nicoli, a bit more comfortable now that he had told her of his origins, at least in part. It wasn't every day that the Head of the Queensguard was a stable boy or a farmer or whatever he was before he was allowed into the ranks. It only warmed Diana's heart more, to know that her queen had done other honorable workings with the kingdom's poor and needy. She's truly a woman to look up to, that Anne. The world needs more rulers like her.

"I don't like the king much neither," she admitted shamefully. "He looks at Annie--I mean, Her Majesty--with too much familiarity, like gold in a mine just waiting to be plundered. Men looked at me like that once, too." She bit her lip again.

"I heard some of the lower girls, the cleaners and the cookers, they was havin' some troubles with a few of King Anton's men some hours ago, before the sky went dark. A lot of those soldier men don't want to be keepin' their hands to themselves, I've heard it told. But none o' them have bothered me so far. Queen Anne has always kept me safe, and I think if a single person in that bloody king's guard so much as looked at me the wrong way, Annie would make sure that he would hang for it. She don't mess 'round with that stuff no more, sir--I mean, Nicoli. I'm grateful for it." Diana shuffled her feet about the floor nervously, though she kept a friendly smile on her face as she looked at the knight across from her again.

"I'll tell you as soon as somethin' happens, if it happens. Okay?"

Last edited:
  • Love

Anton did nothing to hide the sigh of relief he felt when she conceded that marriage was still on the table. It had been a gamble to even give her the choice, but one it seemed that had paid off. Had she refused, every plan he had drafted would have had to have been redrawn. He watched the light and shadows play across her form as she spoke, memorizing every detail, analyzing every word, looking for a trap. But when she asked him what she wanted to know directly he was visibly startled. He wasn't used to people who could be so blunt.

His tongue touched his lips briefly as he thought about the best way to word his answer. Perhaps the hesitation would cost him, but he had to be careful here. How much and what did he tell her? How did he phrase things without the danger of more than he said being read into the words? If he lied would she be able to see the truth in his face? He knew then that he had severely underestimated the queen as an opponent

It only took a moment or two before he decided on the truth, or a version of it.

"I did not say I did not want the crown," he began slowly, "only that it is not all that I want and certainly not the most important. I admit that a merger between our kingdoms would benefit us both. A merger, not a takeover. Equal rights, a shared ruling, though the logistics would have to be worked out carefully." There was no doubt in his mind that he could ensure the details favored him. "You are a kind and compassionate, intelligent, and beautiful woman," he continued. "Your people love and respect you, your knights would lay down their lives for you. Your kingdom, while not especially prosperous, is happy." All true in his mind. "I do not desire to end that. In fact I'd rather like to learn from it, to return Leondeal to what it once was." Also true, though the time period he was thinking of was not necessarily that one she might believe he had hinted at. He would not sacrifice Leondeal's power or prosperity, but a people's respect was easier to manipulate than their fear.

"What I desire far more than the added weight of another crown, is a companion. Someone with the wisdom and grace to help me bare this burden, someone whose advice I can seek without the fear that they might sell state secrets to my enemies. What I desire is a queen, one capable of keeping her people's best interest close to heart." A queen like Anne, who focused on the people would not seek to advance her own placement and so overthrow him. Yet another reason he had not married Saurella. He was not so foolish as to believe his mistress's interests were always perfectly inline with his own. So long as she was only his mistress, and so long as he avoided open war, he could be sure she would be considerate of his well-being. Were he to elevate her to Queen, of what would happen then he could not be sure. "And perhaps in time an heir." The last was added almost as an afterthought.

"I do not claim to love you currently, and I do not expect you to love me. Perhaps in time that may change. Regardless, I think we could work well together." He took a sip of his wine, the goblet glinting in the flickering glow of the fire.
"I hope I have not offended you."

Nicoli nodded and looked at his wine. "You or anyone who has trouble may tell any of the guardsmen should there be a problem. We are meticulous about weeding that sort from our ranks and none would see harm come to any woman, especially when one conceders that many of us have female relatives that work in the palace. Wives, sisters, my own mother was a washer woman before she passed, and I believe Sir Tristen's eldest daughter is apprenticed to one of the palace seamstresses. If any feel uncomfortable approaching the knights, they might also send word through one of them. Though I would far prefer to catch any troublemakers before any issues arise. We'll have to increase the watch. I'll speak to the Captain about it."

He paused, "I'm sorry, it is a dark subject, perhaps a change of topic is in order. "Did you have a chance to enjoy any of the festivities?" He eye eyed the tray of grapes, crackers and cheese, wondering if he would be in trouble if he devoured it. The exertion of the competition had only served to increase his appetite and, somehow in the course of solving the issue of his injured knee and arguing with Captain Oswin over the length of his medical leave, he had failed to eat a decent dinner.

• Love

Anne sat back in the chair, tracing the rim of a ruby goblet with the tip of her finger as she listened to him. Most of his monologue seemed genuine, though laced with unanswered questions and dodged subjects that Anne would have liked to discuss had the situation called for a more intimate meeting. She considered his words, sipping the wine with care as to prevent the alcohol from rushing to her brain, fuddling her words and making her a fool. The queen had already consumed too much in one day. It was best to keep her consumption of liquor modest, especially considering how few people could keep up with her tastes.

While Anton's words were appreciated, he completely missed the key factor that would have changed everything for her. He had said nothing in the improvement of ReValya, of using his wealth to aid her country. There was nothing she needed more than his assurance that a portion of his gold would fund the feeding of her poor and other needs around the small country, and until she had that, she would offer her hand to no one.

"All of those are honorable intentions. An heir, you shall have no problem receiving from me. Or several. Given what happened to my family, having more than one in line for the throne is most wise." Anne gave him a sly smile, admiring his features openly. Our children would be beautiful and strong, there's no doubting that. She could see them in her head, but instead of sharing the features of the king before her, they mysteriously resembled a certain knight in her service.

"I can give you companionship, Anton. I can give you all that you seek, and I expect that you will offer me the same openness and willingness to my kingdom as well. But I still need time to think on it. I know there's no time to waste, but there is so much to consider and I would rather not rush my marriage considering my age. I must admit, I have a bit of a fear with giving my life away so early..."

I don't even know what it feels like to kiss you. But she supposed if they married, they would only have to deal with that as often as it took to have children.

Diana thanked him for his promises and assistance, feeling safer with that alone. The knights of Queen Anne never tolerated anything that the queen herself couldn't stand, and while most men might argue with a few of the laws she had written into act Diana could only feel relieved. She picked up the platter and set it on the table between them, gesturing for Nicoli to take as much as he wished. "Anne didn't eat nothin' for dinner," she said. "Not even cheesecake. She loves cheesecake. I think all the wine she's got rumblin' in her tummy. She turns to the bo'tle when she's stressin'. That Lamp mister, he done scared her out of her wits, I think. But she won't admit to nothin'. She's too strong for that.

"But I mean, as for the festivals and all tha', I had a wonderful time. I took me best friend out to the pie baking competitions--she makes the meanest raspberry pie you ever did taste, I swear it!--an' I tasted the best ale made of apples too! We played some games that had bo'tles and tiny rings, and you had to toss them about and land 'em on the neck o'the glass. Abbey got terribly drunk and Shae danced with a stranger while music played some our favorite songs. We were dancin' and singin' like madmen, and when it was over we all gave a toast to Annie's--I mean, the queen's good health. It was like nothin' I ever done, sir. It was amazin'.

"And watched a bit o'the tourney, too. I saw you get all hurt. I hope that leg is alright. If the mountain king splintered the wood I can find someone to make you a new one, my brother, he's a wood carver, very good at 'is job."

When she was finally done talking, the girl chuckled and took a bite of a strawberry, letting her legs swing on the end of the chair.

Last edited:
  • Love

And the mention of her own kingdom Anton flinched internally. Wanting to help her and her people should have been the first words out of his mouth, but he had taken her question literally and in wanting to say the wrong thing he had failed to say the right one. Had failed to even think of it until she had brought it to his attention herself. Was there a way of mentioning the matter with out appearing to think of it only as an after thought?

"Of course, I would never think of rushing something like this. Neither do I like the idea of you being afraid of any arrangement we agree too." He rose to refill his wine cup, noting that hers still contained a decent amount. "I must admit that this sort of thing is new territory for me as well. If you are not too tired to continue our conversation, might I ask – that is, to repeat your own question back to you – What is it you would like of me? Financial security for your people and help restoring your kingdom of course, that is if you will take it, but what else? How can I help in return?" There, let her think I did not offer earlier because it was something I always intended to give?

"May I?" he asked proffering the pitcher as he returned to his seat, offering to refill her glass. A moment later he was forced to stifle a yawn. "My apologies. It is not my intention to be rude."

Nicoli nearly chocked on a grape when Diana mentioned his leg. "How did you -- ?!" the expression on his face was one of alarm and discomfort as the answer dawned on him. The Queen must have told her! But a moment later he had closed his eyes, drawn a deep breath, and sat back in the chair.

"I thank you for your concern, and will keep the recommendation of your brother in mind should there ever be a need, but for the moment I am fine." He left the rest of the food alone, his appetite dissipated with the mere mention of his deformity. "If I might ask – would you be so kind as to keep that information to yourself?" It was not so much that he feared what might happen should an enemy learn the information as it was he disliked the idea of being pitied by his own people. When people pitied those sworn to protect them they also begin to lose confidence in the protector's abilities. Something like that could undermine the guard as a whole. He did his best to explain it to her, not entirely sure he was understandable, but trusting that the girl trusted by the Queen could be counted on to keep her word. "I don't want any special treatment," he concluded finally, looking at his hands.

• Love

She had been waiting for this opportunity. Ever since he stepped foot within her country's borders, she had dreamed and rehearsed what she would say in a moment like this, when her raw intentions would be laid on the table, or at least those she intended him to see. Anne rose from her seat and gently took the pitcher from his hands, as well as his goblet, setting both down on the end table as well as her own. She stood closer to him, in such a proximity that her chest gently brushed against his and she could smell the wine on his breath mixed the flowers of her perfume. Her heart began to flicker.

"What I want?" she asked coyly, looking up to meet his eyes, glazed with the tip of the brush of seduction. When she was confident she had him listening to every sound that came from her mouth, she spoke again. "I want food for my people that will never run out. I want combined farmlands and irrigation systems, well-paying jobs, a stable economy, and use of your gold mines. I want ReValya to prosper as it never has before. And," she added, letting a delicate hand rest on the center of his chest, "I want companionship as well. I want a man who can advise me in the right directions and honor my decisions no matter how much he disdains them. I want him to be just and kind with all his people, including mine own. Including me. I want to know that I'm safe in his arms at night and the morning after. I want our children to have a man of valor to look up to.

"In return, I can give you as many heirs, sons and daughters as you so desire. I can give you privacy where you require it and company when you desire it. In ReValya, there is a Golden Lake that is said to hold the most gold in all the world, according to legend, but the waters are too deep and I don't have the resources to mine it while still preserving the beauty. I'll give you fifty percent of whatever we find there, and thirty percent of ReValya's yearly earnings, as long as you promise to return the favor with similar numbers.

"And finally," she whispered, standing on the tips of her toes to whisper in the king's ear. "Finally, Anton, I want something only you can give me. Something I've never, ever had."

Playfully, she chuckled, lowering back on her feet and stepping away from the king. "I'll let you think on it. Good night, Anton."

Without another word she swept gracefully from the room, silks, seduction and all.

Diana was admittedly shocked when he seemed so affronted at her concern, and for a moment she thought she had spoken some word of ill-repute known among those of education that she hadn't grown accustomed to. When she rechecked her words and realized she had spoken nothing negative, a frown settled in. I hadn't meant to upset the good sir...

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry! I just. I didn't mean t'offend ya, mister knight. I just. Me dad has a foot like that. One year he tried to put out a fire and burned up all the wood, so my brother trained ta be a lumberer person. You know, a woodworker. Has 'is own shop and everythin'. He made me dad a free foot since we couldn't afford ta buy one." She blushed and looked to the floor. "Sorry."

In a stressed rush, Anne walked back into the room all beauty and innocence. She immediately picked up one of the goblets of wine, gulping down the whole thing before filling it up.

"Wine," she stuttered. "D-don't we have something stronger?"

"There's rum in the basement, Your Gra--"

"Get it." Anne devoured another goblet full of wine and slumped in the chair across from Nicoli, where Diana had been sitting only moments ago, and she held her head in her hands. Diana gave a wary glance to Nicoli, and then to her queen once more to assess the damage.

"Annie? What's the matta?"

"Nothing." The queen sighed. "Please, Diana, just leave me alone with Nicoli. I need to speak with him in private. You're relieved for the night."

"A-Are you sure?"

"Mhm." Anne lifted her head and smiled sadly, rising from the chair and pacing across the floor. She seemed so upset that it hurt Diana to watch, and she gave Nicoli a sad look that seemed to beg him to help their young queen before leaving the chambers as commanded.

Last edited:
  • Love