In the Name of a Queen

"Your people are your people and you know them better than I ever will," Anton stated simply as he filled his own plate suddenly finding that he was exceptionally hungry considering that they had feasted the night before. He was more than polite in his manners however. "Any advice or guideline you could give me would be most helpful. I'd hate to bring any plan for your approval that would waste your time by being the complete opposite of what you have in mind for such an event."

He smiled as he cut the meat on his plate into perfect little bite sized chunks. "I was thinking that the main event would be the competitions of course, jousting, the sword, archery, and the staff. However those are all men's sports, and most of them warrior's sports. Why not let the farmers bring the best specimen from their livestock to show off? Those that don't win might still make a sale. And back home the women often compete over things such as who can bake the best pie.

"Of course something like that might take more time, so an announcement would have to go out before lunch, and considering that people may want to travel to participate we may want to start the tournament a bit latter - if I had an extra day . . . but you requested tomorrow so tomorrow it shall have to be. Perhaps it is better to keep it to only the main sports after all.

"We will also need a wide open area to host the tournament. Unless there is already such a spot within the city walls?"

Reactions: Sansa Stark

For a man with secrets, he certainly seemed to put on an innocent face. Anne looked at him a moment until she realized she was staring, and quickly looked down to her food, taking a small bite of the poached egg she had been given.

"I think those are all wonderful ideas, my lord. Anton." She cleared her throat. "If we give the notice before midday, I'm certain that will be enough time. ReValya is a very small country. It only takes a day to travel to and from the city and the countryside. The people will find their way here before the first joust, I'm sure." Anne glanced nervously to the king's man, Lampkin, is that his name? I do not like the way he looks at me.

"I know of the perfect area. I will pay Tomas di'Arbolshire for use of his outer fields. He has no crops there at the moment. He is an old man, you see, and it is hard for him to tend everything on his own especially that far from his farmhouse. But that area should be sufficient for our needs. The land is flat and perfect for an event of this scale, and I daresay you'll agree when you rest your eyes upon it."

Will he take kindly to using pauper's lands for a king's games? Anne glanced to Nicoli, briefly trying to observe a reaction.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Falcon

Nicoli watched as a hint of a smirk crossed the king's features before he smoothed it away as Anton realized the queen was staring at him. Nicoli, too, was surprised at the words he heard. Calm, practical ideas, designed with others in mind. He had not thought the other man capable of it, unless . . . Nicoli sighed as a little voice whispered at the back of his mind that this was only being done in an attempt to impress the queen. No care for the citizens of this land was actually being taken.

On the other side of the room stood the King's man, Lampkin. A sturdy fellow if Nicoli had ever seen one. Shrewd as well if the way his eyes ticked over the room was any indication. A swordsman of great quality judging by his stance, and the man seemed prefer it when the people around him knew he was on guard. Nicoli felt that had Lampkin wanted to, he was fully capable of adopting the relaxed air commonly seen in the Queen's men, but it would make no difference. Had they been on opposite sides the knight felt that the King's man would make a fearsome opponent.

One thing more could be noted about the other soldier. Lampkin would occasionally glance at the Queen with that calculating glace, and Nicoli couldn't help but feel that the guard was assessing moves on a chess board, that he was looking at a pawn meant to be sacrificed and not a Queen to be respected, or even a woman with a heart to be won. A dangerous man if Nicoli had ever seen one.

It was then he heard the name Tomas di'Arbolshire drop from the Queens lips, and his eyes flicked back to her. His Uncle, well his father's uncle technically, had no sons of his own and Nicoli had spent enough harvest seasons lending a hand to know how the form worked like the back of his hand. Uncle Tomas had always said he intended to give him the farm someday, but Nicoli knew it would be far better to choose some one else. If the lands did fall to him Nicoli had plans to rent the fields out to other families. He sincerely hoped it would be sometime yet before he would need those plans.

As the Queen looked to him Nicoli gave her a nod to show he understood, and that he did not believe his uncle would object.

Anton, tried to suppress a smirk of satisfaction when he realized the Queen was staring. He thought he'd done so fairly successfully. Perhaps toying with one so innocent had its own rewards. Her praise certainly worked to inflate his ego.

"I'm glad you find my suggestions agreeable," he murmured merrily as he took a sip of his own wine. "And I am sure this field will be perfect. I shall also do everything in my power to ensure that it is left in as good condition or better when we are done with it as well. No need to inconvenience the old farmer that way."

Another drink of wine and suddenly the king's face broke into a wide grin. "I just had another thought. What if we increase the potential reward? Instead of just a flower wreath, what if the over all winner of the sporting section of the tournament also won the opportunity to be graced with a kiss from your majesty's lips?" For the first time Anton saw the Queen's knight caught off guard. No sooner had Anton spoken the words then the man jerked to attention.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: moffnat

Anne nearly choked on her food, having to drink a long swig of wine in order to calm herself. A part of her was angry, wanting to talk his ear off about the respect a man should treat a woman with, but on the other hand she had to inwardly admit that he was right. Though it made her uncomfortable to think about kissing some dirty drunk or a priest or a man well beyond his years, she knew that such men were unlikely to win anyway. And besides, he was right in some form. Such a promise would motivate them to compete and widen the range of men who signed up to joust, increasing the profit to go towards charities.

Still, the fact that he would make an offer he had no right to make...

Anne only chuckled. She didn't need him thinking he'd offended her, although he had. Since when to men get to make suggestions such as those in front of a queen?

"I suppose you're right," she said, regretfully. "That would be a gift many men would fight for, to be sure. I wouldn't mind. I'm sure that one of my knights would take the opportunity, as I haven't met anyone who can outjoust them besides each other." Anne sighed, taking a long gulp from her wine instead of a small, queenly sip. Her father had gifted her with the taste for liquor. "Shall it be a kiss on the lips? I don't mind," she lied, "so long as we make it clear that any who tries to make a move against me would lose his hands. I am a woman, yes, but like all women we have the right to not be touched beyond our desire. The punishment for such a crime is death, at least in ReValya."

Her tone had turned suddenly somber, but she shook her head and managed to clear it a bit. "I could kiss the woman who wins the baking contest as well, or whatever else you're planning on doing. But not too many. A person is only comfortable kissing so many people in one day," Anne jested with a giggle that would suggest she wasn't hiding anything.

But, of course, there were those that could see right through her charm.

Last edited:
  • Love

Her reaction was priceless, though Anton did his best to keep his pleasure at seeing it from his face. So innocent. Anton knew half a dozen women who would not have batted an eyelash at the suggestion of a mere kiss as a reward. But from Anne there was a near choke and slightly forced chuckle. It seemed he had finally figured out how to get under her skin. The trick now would be finding the balance between getting under her skin, and playing the gentleman, or so he hoped.

Anton could see from the reflection in the water picher that the Queen's knight was making no effort to hide his glare, none what so ever. Her knights really did take great care of her, and if she was really as young as he had been told it was no wonder. They couldn't afford for their Queen to lose her head in a flight of girlish fancy, but that was exactly what Anton was banking on.

At her very pointed reminder of the laws in Re'Valya Anton did smile, just barely avoiding a patronizing look. "No, I'm certain a kiss on the cheek or forehead will be more than adequate. Though if you desire to do more that is certainly your right. I'm certain no man would shirk the approval of his Queen. And I think rewarding only the sporting victors accordingly would be perfectly appropriate. There is comparative little danger in farming and cooking, and I am certain that bragging rights would be sufficient. Or – perhaps a bit of parchment saying they won, tied up with a bit of ribbon, and pressed with your seal? That would give them proof of a story they could tell for generations."

Anton finished his wine, sighed with satisfaction, and pushed away from the table leaving an empty plate. "I fear I have begun to bore you, My Lady. Perhaps I should leave you to finish your breakfast in peace, and send any more queries with a messenger? Forgive me, but our mountain ways are so dissimilar from those here that I begin to think I may make a fool of myself with these constant questions and cause offence where none was meant. It will be better all around if I instead take leave. That and I do not wish to give your man any more reason to scowl so—"

• Love

"Anton," she blurted, interrupting his sentence. "I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. Your idea is a brilliant one, and I hope I have not soured your desire to seek out my opinion on the matter. Please, forgive me."

Anne felt his sudden withdrawal tug at the pit of her stomach. She had not meant to offend him with her rantings and ravings--the matter of protecting women was one very personal to her, and while she did not regret the words she said, she merely regretted that the timing was improper. She should have said the penalty for rape is death, not simply touching a woman who said no. That was a different crime altogether, and much less serious, but there was justice there all the same. As he rose from his seat to move away, Anne did as well, but whether it was out of respect or guilt she was unsure.

Anne looked to Ser Nicoli a moment, watching his scowl, and she could see why it must have alerted the mountain king. She knew her knights would rip men to pieces if it meant her utmost protection, they would kill for her, stay for her, die for her, and their legends were recorded in the Iron Book for any who would wish to read. But what Anne saw in Nicoli's eyes that moment wasn't simply justice or duty, but something else. Something deeper, something she hadn't yet anticipated. They locked eyes for a moment and Anne ended it as soon as it began.

"If you wish to retire for now, however, that is alright with me. I have other matters that need immediate attention, but I do hope we part ways with the understanding that my laws are not your laws and since you are here, you must respect mine, while simultaneously I will do whatever I can to help you feel at home within my walls."

I'm blabbing, Anne told herself with a hard swallow. Does he frighten me so?

Last edited:
  • Love

"Rest assured I am not offended. I was more concerned that I had offended you and yours." Anton assured her with a smile and a bow. "And your hospitality has been most generous. I would not ask for more. However, I have planning to get to, and I know you have others to look after aside from me. You have been most kind in providing the list of your staff, and I shall send updates to you periodically on how things progress. That way if you see anything amiss you may correct or alternate accordingly. Until I see your lovely face again, Anne." He bowed once more and then turned on his heels before strolling from the room. He looked back once and offered her one last beaming smile before he left.

When his Queen met his eyes Nicoli hastily fixed his expression. For a moment he feared she had seen his concern for her. His concern for her and his contempt for the man who would make her his wife, his contempt for the king. Every moment Nicoli had to watch Anton further, his impression of the man deteriorated a little more. To be so forward as if he were entitled to a woman's smile by his position, his treatment of the entire situation as if it were a game, his open pity of the less fortunate as if pity were both desired and helpful. Nicoli had begun to think that his Queen would be better off looking for a way out instead of a way to make it work, and he did not dare speak that thought. He'd already caused trouble just by allowing a frown to cross his face. Sir. Tristen never would have made that mistake.

Once the King was safely out of the room Nicoli took a few steps forward to kneel before Queen Anne. "Forgive me, Highness." He whispered in a tone that was entirely genuine. "I was careless and caused offence to your royal guest. I swear it will not happen again." She would be perfectly justified in dismissing him and requesting another in his place.

The queen watched her brave knight knee before her and offer an apology that clearly wasn't needed. The fact that Nicoli would offer words of repentance for doing what he was sworn by oath to do--protect her from though who would bring harm--made her heart swell with pride, despite how ridiculous it was. She couldn't fault him for being honorable.

"Rise," Anne told him with a small chuckle, hoping he didn't feel mocked. "There is nothing to apologize for, Ser Nicoli. You had my best interest at heart, as does any man in my Queensguard. I thank you for being honest and honorable to your oath even through the subtleties of a simple glare."

Oh yes, she knew. She could see the way that Nicoli resented Anton. It reminded her of the face she saw when she looked into the mirror each night, a look of disdain and distaste for this mountain king and all his secrets. If the truth dared to be spoken, Anne didn't know what to think of Anton. He was charming and handsome, yes. Kind. Authoritative. But that did not make a king, and certainly not a king that ReValya needed. Anne did not like whatever he was hiding, either. Certainly a man who wished to wed her would be more open about things he would normally keep behind closed doors.

She thought briefly of her handmaiden, and the words she'd said only an hour before.

"Walk with me," she asked Nicoli. "In the gardens. I feel a need to be among the roses this morning."

And far away from a king's ears.

Last edited:
  • Love

He had amused her somehow, Nicoli mused as he climbed back to his feet at her permission to rise, and he would take her amusement over her anger any day. Though for a moment it almost seemed she was giving him permission to glare at the King whenever such a look was warranted. He quickly shook the thought from his head. Surly not.

He nodded in obedience at the Queen's request to walk with her, though any man in his position would have followed even had she not asked. The fact that she had asked indicated to him that she wanted to talk to him about something, and that either she just needed someone to listen, or she wanted his opinion as she had the night before. That or she wanted to walk somewhere in peace and thought his presence might guarantee she was left alone. He tried to prepare himself for any eventuality.

The gardens were tended to with excellence, the gardeners having an obvious love for their craft. Even the damages caused by the recent downpour had been cleverly mended or trimmed as each instance required, and the rose walk where the Queen was headed was a perfect place for a moment of peace.

"Highness?" Nicoli ventures after a moment, striding behind her, breaking the silence, "If it will ease your mind, any guardsman you choose would be happy to compete in your name, myself included." He could not quite make himself bold enough to claim to compete for her himself, but he could make the offer in general and hope it brought her comfort.

Reactions: Sansa Stark

Anne had always loved walking among the roses, especially this time of year. Spring rains had come and gone, leaving much room for flowers and trees to drink in the sun's days as well as excess water to grow without interruption and flourish in many brilliant shades. Anne touched a rose that had bloomed larger than her palm, and she lowered her head to breath in the scent before smiling and standing straight once again.

How to address him?

"Your offer is most kind," she told him with a chuckle, "but I think I will allow all the knights the choice to compete rather than having one ride for the sake of the crown. That should make the event more fun and less serious, don't you think?" She stopped to turn to him, less a queen, more a young girl with a little spark in her eyes.

"Did you have any intention of competing, Ser Nicoli? I would give you leave to do so."

Last edited:
Reactions: - Falcon -

Nicoli bit his lip in uncertainty, studying the young woman before him, hesitant over whether to explain, unsure if she understood what the mountain king had done or if she even knew of the rules in place that had allowed it to happen. She was not a soldier, and as far as he knew had never practiced for sport the way the King had, so odds were she had never learned the unspoken protocols they all were taught as squires. Not a flaw in and of itself, but it now put him in a very difficult position. Not to say she did not know. She could simply be testing him and Nicoli would not fault her for it. She did not know him or what he would say the way she did Tristen.

"Forgive me, Highness, but it had not been my intention to compete, no. Not without your express request at least." He started hesitantly. In fact he rather disliked the idea. There was too much potential there for exposing any weakness in his fighting ability and he preferred for that to remain unknown, yet he chose to give her the more important of his reasons. "There are many countries that expressly forbid competing against royalty in any way that may allow harm to befall them, or shame them. In most cases the penalty for doing so is death. ReValya is not one of them, but there is a sort of protocol among her knights forbidding the same. Mostly it is to prevent trouble should we go to a foreign land, but in this case – with king Anton's intention to compete clear, many of your knights will either refuse to take part altogether or, unless he is far more skilled than rumor suggests, throw the fight in such a way that makes him appear to be the victor. It is my opinion that King Anton was so bold in his prize request partially because he believed he would be one of those allowed to claim it."

Nicoli paused a moment, unsure this news would surprise her or not, or if it would sit well if it did. Around them several small finch flitted from rose bush to rose bush, their song unhindered by the serious conversation taking place between the knight and his Queen.

"By all rights if he truly wanted to compete he should have chosen a champion among his own knights and then tried to sneak into the tournament disguised in that knight's armor, which would have freed us from the protocol as long as he remained undiscovered. It would have guaranteed the best of us in the match. As he has not – If you were to choose a champion, and a second, your knights might see their way clear to fight to the best of their ability regardless of who they were facing . . . Forgive me if I have said too much or spoken out of turn. We will of course abide by your decision whatever it may be. If you wish to see only friendly sport we will conduct ourselves accordingly."

Nicoli bowed his head and tucked his hands behind his back in perfect submission. He hoped she understood that he had meant only to warn her of what he had noticed, whether she had already seen it or not. He would never presume so far as to advise what she should do without being first requested to do so.[/imga]

• Love

Nicoli's words were honest and true, and his concern even more justifiable. Of course Anton would suggest a kiss as the prize--no one would dare try to triumph over an ally king at risk of putting Anne's reputation on the line, as well as the integrity of her people. He would kiss her in public in front of all ReValya's view in hopes to gain the support of the marriage he would need in order to persuade her further as planned. Anne would be much more reluctant to give her father's crown to a man whom the people disdained, but to a king they adored who seemingly treated their Mother of Mercy so kindly...

It makes me sick to think he would manipulate me this way.

Anne could not hide her frown. She stopped walking to turn to her brave knight amidst the spring roses, meeting his eyes in a mournful way. "He would do such a thing," she realized at once. "You're right. You're absolutely right. I was a fool not to see it." But the way he smiles caught me off-guard.

She turned forward again and began to walk along the hedges, thinking on Nicoli's words. "Does he think I will not have any of my knights compete against him? ReValya is strong--small, but resilient. We fought for our independence from Leondeal a six-hundred years ago in the Battle of Ages, and he comes here thinking that I will not rise to meet his challenge? Backing down is not what my father would do. I think I will encourage every knight to oppose King Anton--after all, he was the one who suggested that this be friendly combat. I want to see how he fights. I want to see how he jousts, how he shoots, and I want to know how he handles defeat when you unhorse him with a lance."

Last edited:
  • Love

"When I unhorse . . .!?" Nicoli started in surprise, but a moment later he had collected himself and nodded. "As you wish, your grace, so it shall be done." She had just given him the permission he had stated earlier any of her knights would need, and more than that she had proven herself wise in the manner of her request.

"Much can be told about a man by his behavior after a loss." Nicoli continued softly. "Captain Oswin frequently tests the guard recruits so, pitting them against the best, before passing them beyond the rank of squire. He says that a man who cannot learn and grow from his mistakes cannot be trusted with greater responsibility, for that man will be destined to make the same mistake time and time again. Personally I agree with him and I . . ." he broke off in a low chuckle as he realized what he had been saying, had been about to say, and to who. "Forgive me. It seems I've a tendency to ramble as well."

Nicoli's smile was soft and kind, concern resting in his eyes, as he fell back to walk in his traditional position behind her. The look said he would welcome further conversation should she desire, but he was still so new to this post that he did not yet know what lines to hold firm, what lines to toe, and which he could on occasion cross. While he found himself wishing she was comfortable talking to him, he would by no means expect it. He did not yet feel comfortable, or know the young Queen well enough, to know when continuing such a conversation would be desirable to her, or when she would find it an intrusion into her thoughts.

• Love

It was dangerous to admit that she liked Anton's smile, but even more detrimental should she allow herself to appreciate Nicoli's even more.

"Captain Oswin is wise indeed. That is a part of why I brought him to his station." She paused a moment to fold her hands and look upon the blooming roses, in hues of reds and pinks and yellows and ivories all wrapped in grass green leaves. Under the golden sun, they glittered like jewels. "It is a part of that wisdom that I see in you which drove me to grant you the position you now hold. I do hope you see that as a compliment, Ser Nicoli. I can think of few others who would be as well-suited to the job."

Anne had long wished for a knight to replace Ser Tristan, as heartbreaking as it was to admit. Tristan was as loyal and ever-faithful as any knight of her guard should be, but he had a family and was growing old while his children took their steps and said their first words without him, and Anne would never wish to rob him of those joys. She had intended to relieve him of his position to allow him more time with his growing family, and while she was troubled as to who would replace him, Nicoli had proved the perfect candidate. Loyal, strong, young, handsome, kind, gentle--no, Anne, don't think on those things! She shook her head to chase such thoughts away.

"I trust you will be able to unhorse King Anton?" she said at last, gesturing for him to walk beside her rather than behind her. "I've heard that you're the strongest man ahorse that my guard has, especially with a lance. I hope to see your skill tomorrow."

I would rather kiss you than Anton anyway, if dangerous truth be told.

Last edited:
  • Love

"Yes, well, after twenty-five years one would hope a man would learn something," Nicoli chuckled, though he did take her words as a complement, of all the knights at her disposal she had chosen him. That and some part of him whispered that she should know his age. It was a foolish notion. If it truly were necessary knowledge she probably already knew

He moved to walk beside her when motioned him to do so, though his hands were kept firmly behind his back as they walked. "As for my skill, it is possible that what you have been told is an exaggeration, though I will admit that I am better able to keep my seat than most. Comes of being a stableman's son. But yes, unless the King's skill has been grossly underestimated by the reports, which is rarely the case, I should be able to unhorse him."

His eyes danced across the flowers in all their blooming glory, over the finch that chirped at each other from the branches and were occasionally brave enough to drop onto the path in search of seed, over the cobblestones so carefully placed, and over the woman at his side. His gaze was meant not to admire, but to search out any oddity, any sign of something that could cause his queen harm. But it seemed the most pressing danger she currently faced was the danger of politics.

"Your, highness," Nicoli started after a moment of silence, "If I may be so bold - As desirable as it generally is, a kiss is a thing that should be given by choice, not obligation. No man of yours would dare lay claim to what you do not choose to offer. And it comes to my attention that to lay claim to the promised reward, a competitor must win two of the three sporting competition. If that were not the case each would have to be content with the victor's laurel for only a single event - Not that I suggest that the events be arranged, only that, with your permission, were the knights to learn of it they might not feel obligated to defer to the king . . ."

For a moment Nicoli wondered what it would be like if he did win, if she would choose to gift him with the kiss, if he would dare let her, but he quickly shook the notion from his head. It is a place you cannot allow your thoughts to go.

• Love

Twenty-five? He's not too terribly far from my own age. Only eight years. Anne didn't like where her thought processes were taking her, somewhere dangerous and unwelcomed and altogether ridiculous, but she supposed it could not be helped. For a woman intent on saving her kingdom with a marriage that would bind her to wealth, Anne considered it a normal thing to desire for something she could never have. Isn't that what humans were doomed to do?

But I am the queen. Couldn't I just tell Anton to ride along home and marry whom I choose? Wouldn't the kingdom celebrate and wish nothing but joy upon their new king and their Mother of Mercy? Ah, if only the world was so generous. Instead her future was to be filled with accusations and submissions to a king she neither desired nor admired. What would my family have to say about this? In hopes of chasing her thoughts of Nicoli away, instead she found herself envisioning a crown upon his head.

"I don't mind offering a kiss," she lied. "It will prove for a better contest, I think, though the only bit that frightens me is receiving a kiss from Anton, not only because I detest the thought but because if my people see such a public pledge of affection, they will begin to encourage the match without knowing the kind of snake he is. I don't want to disappoint them when I turn him down, if I am able to do so. There is nothing I would like more, Nicoli, if truth be told. I'm certain that my lack of desire for him is obvious." At least, that is what my heart says, but the bewitching senses of the body sometimes betray me. Anne would never say that aloud, though. "I would rather remain single throughout my reign and pass on the throne to a cousin instead of marry a man like him. But what am I to do? My kingdom calls for gold and I have none. Decisions like this make me wish I had been a princess all my life, and my brother had lived to sit the throne..."

Anne sighed, stopping where they were in the middle of a crossroads. She chuckled at the irony. "Anyway, I digress. I am confident you will unhorse him, and between us, I will give you my favor." She picked a red rose from a nearby bush and handed it to him with a gentle smile.

"Will you ride with my favor tomorrow, Ser Nicoli?"

Last edited:
  • Love

Nicoli derived far more pleasure than he should have from the thought of King Anton being turned away. Yet he still determined then and there that any kiss the queen gave the man would be by her choice alone and not as any prize. He knew it was not his place, should not even enter into his thoughts, to think of his Queen kissing anyone. But the thought was there, and he would have to acknowledge and work past it. How many years had he watched and guarded her from the shadows? How many years would he continue to do so? To continue to do so he could not allow himself the question of "what if?" That would complicate things much more than they already were. It would be wiser for him to stay out of it.

Nicoli accepted the rose from her and knelt at her feet, nearly at the center of the cross in the path. The rose cupped in the palm of one upturned hand, the other hand fisted over his heart. "You do me too great an honor," he answered his voice trembling slightly. The situation was so far beyond him and he longed to know for certain the right thing to do, yet he could hardly ask her to wait while he deliberated the options. "But if it is your wish that I should ride then I shall do so, and should I face the King then I shall do my utmost to see he is unhorsed. My word is my bond as your knight."

When he was allowed to stand again the rose was fastened tenderly and securely in the pin that secured his cloak, the beads of dew that adorned its petals making it shine like a gem at his collar. The first step he took after bore the hint of a limp, but all that followed were steady and strong. He was determined not to let her down.

• Love

And determined, he was.

When the sun rose high the following morning, Anne woke from a deep slumber feeling considerably better than she had the morning prior. There wasn't a single cloud in the sky to dampen the sun's shining reign, and while the castle was all chaos and hustle in preparations for the tourney Anne felt herself at peace. She had spend the little time she had before bed the night before praying to the gods that Nicoli would be granted victory with his lance and therefore put a stop to whatever King Anton was planning. While she was confident that Nicoli would not fail her, she didn't necessarily trust that Anton would play fairly. It would be foolish indeed not to keep her suspicions raised.

"M'lady," Diana said gleefully as she held up two separate dresses, one in each hand. "Pick one. The taupe or the navy?"

"Hmm," Anne contemplated, examining both of them from a distance. "Navy. It gives me a more regal demeanor, a but more intimidating. I don't want Anton to think me a silly little queen today."

"Ooo, I agree!" the handmaiden nodded.

Once dressed in a gown of gems that looked like Anne was wrapped in the night sky, she allowed Diana to tease her hair up into an elaborate bun, paint her face with makeup that would suit the gown given her, and topping it off with a tall crown of gold, diamond and pearl. Anastasia was a vision in such an outfit, truly more woman and queen than princess and teenager. This was how she wanted King Anton to see her on a day of their unspoken challenge. This was how she wanted her people to see him be addressed, and most importantly, this is what she wanted to wear when her triumph was set in stone.

Perhaps it was a bit overconfident to already place her bets on Nicoli's success when she had neither seen him compete nor seen Anton ahorse. What if the day didn't go as planned? What if Nicoli failed her, what if Anton cheated, what if something happened to shift the turn of events in a way that was out of her control? Those possibilities had plagued her since Anton's suggestion of the tourney on a day before, but Anne knew better than to dwell on such things. I will do all that I can today, and if the gods do not favor my judgment then so be it. I will not fall because one little tourney grew sour.

When the time came, Anne exited her palace and climbed into the carriage that would deliver her to the site of the tourney, on Nicoli's uncle's lands to the east near the Rhoinish river. She took a moment to pause from her concerns and drink in the scenery around her, never able to be saddened long when the beauty of ReValya reminded her of all she had to be thankful for. As the carriage came to a stop, she let the driver open the door and took his hand a she descended the steps, surrounded by knights not participating in the day's competitions to escort her to the dias where she would watch the festivities with an accommodating view.

Let the games begin, I suppose.

Last edited:
  • Love

The day was clear, the weather warm, and Nicoli well rested. Now on the morning of what was to be a day of sport he found he was actually looking forward to the competition, more so because he had his Queen's permission not to hold back. His fellow knights knew what was happening, and they were one in agreement that whoever advanced the furthest in each category would do their absolute best to see the king did not win more than one in three. The question was were the reports of the man's abilities actually true.

A large square of field had been walled off with waist high bits of canvas. Benches had been placed in rows just beyond on two sides, the Queen's dais on one end. The other end was clear and set with archery targets and a high wall to catch any stray arrows.

Outside the area various stalls had been set off for vendors and several larges tents for the other events. Those with livestock had brought their animals to makeshift pins and now all present were standing around the field for the opening ceremony. Those who would participate in sport had taken their places in a line on the field itself. They were ordered by social rank, which put King Anton at the very front, and Nicoli near the end of the line of knights. However, he was still close enough to see that the King's man, Lampkin, stood on the dais near the Queen's Herald, and Captain Oswin had taken the position of Queen's knight for the day. The rose was now fastened to his sword's sheath, and Nicoli let his fingers caress its petals briefly, for luck.

The Herald sounded the horn for the crowd's attention and then begin to read aloud the scroll that Lampkin handed him. He welcomed everyone, praised the queen, outlined the promised reward for the victor. At the mention of the kiss several knights shifted uneasily and Anton's face wore a slightly overconfident smirk.

It was then the herald launched into the rules for the archery competition. "We will proceed in rounds." He explained, " each man will shoot and his score will be recorded by our judge." He waved at a man in the Queen's colors with a yellow feather in his cap who stood next to a bundle of arrows, each painted in a different color. "Those who hit the center ring will be allowed to proceed to the next round. As we continue those who consistently shoot better that their opponents will advance until there is only one left.

"All who will not participate may now withdraw. Everyone else, come and claim your arrows. Each man will be assigned a different color." Men filtered out of the arena and spectators took their seats on the benches. Those left on the field consisted of a handful of knights, king Anton, several farmers, and a man in huntsman garb from somewhere near the mist wood if Nicoli wasn't mistaken.

Up on the dais Lampkin grinned across at the Queen and Captain Oswin "Care to make a wager, Captain?" the King's man asked boldly, "my king or your knights?"

"Of the knights on the field Sir Bran is the best shot," Oswin answered nonchalantly, "But if you want me to lay money down, I'd put it on the huntsman. My knights may be good, but that one shoots for his living."

"And you, your grace?" Lampkin murmured with a nod, "is there anyone in particular you favor?"

• Love

"My favor?" she chuckled, resting her hands on the arms of her makeshift wooden throne. She had the best view of the arena and all the competitions, and better still, all the competitors. Rumors had spread of her offering Ser Nicoli her token of favor instead of King Anton, which had caused somewhat of a rift between them when they said their good morning's only an hour prior, but it mattered not to her who had a flower wrapped around their sword hilt. The winner was who she was interested in.

"I agree with Captain Oswin," she said with a confident smile. "While I am sure that King Anton is the finest archer in Leondeal, he is no match for Quentynius Barber. He hunts for a living and has been shooting since he was old enough to walk. I have no doubt he will be the victor of this competition, though I'm sure it will be good sport all the same." She smiled to Lampkin, who had constantly unsettled her since the moment she laid eyes on him, or the moment he laid eyes on me, more like. "I am most excited to witness the outcome, however. May the gods give your arrows a swift flight and your arms a strong hold."

When the trumpets sounded once more, Lampkin and the other contestants were summoned to the lineup. Anne sipped at the wine she had been given and plucked a grape from the sprig, placing it gently in her mouth. There were nothing quite like ReValyan grapes. The moment one bit through the skin, their mouth was flooded with delicious natural juices that never seemed to meet any worded description of it.

"Let the competition begin!" shouted the herald, and so it was.

Anne watched with moderate interest while the farmers were the first to try their luck at the archery. A few of them managed to hit the ring and move on to the next level, but most were sent home with nothing but smiles and congratulations and "you did well!"s from their friends. She even gave all those defeated a little wave and a smile, which they returned with a bow and occasionally a small blush. It made her proud to know that her people could appreciate competition in such a friendly manner.

When Barber approached the line, she leaned forward in her seat and was not disappointed. One lock, draw and loose in all but a second saw his arrow straight into the heart of the target. Anne clapped and cheered admittedly a but louder than she had for the others who had passed on through the next round, and took a moment to pause and examine Lampkin's and Anton's faces as they realized that she and her dear captain were right in their judgment.

Last edited:
  • Love