In a single month, Congress has introduced...

S

Seiji

Original poster

The Stop Online Piracy Act
: Sounds good, right? Well, in essence, the bill would allow the Department of Justice, as well as copyright holders, to shut down, ban, and block websites accused of enabling or facilitating copyright infringement. How easy would it be to call wolf without it being questioned from such powerful entities as Microsoft and Apple?

The National Defense Authorization Act: This is the updated NDAA for 2012 that states that the US government has the power and right to lock up US citizens in military prisons such as Guantanamo Bay without charge and without trial, for "indefinite detention," as the bill words it.

Amendment 1068: Otherwise known as the "Torture Amendment", this addition to the NDAA revives the use of torture and "enhanced interrogation techniques" used by U.S. "interrogators".

So, in 2012, you could be sitting in a military prison being tortured for life and the internet wouldn't be there to raise awareness about you.

This new era of western governments wanting to rule like communist China can't come fast enough!!

So who thinks that the "end of the world" in 2012 is actually going to be a major global revolution against corrupt governments? >:D

*waves a banner with the words 'LOL SUCKS TO BE YOU GUIZ' from across the pond*

Sure is dystopia in here.

Aw man I was hoping not having to rely on my plan B for life. Small self sustaining hippie compound with lots of love and guns.

This new era of western governments wanting to rule like communist China can't come fast enough!!

Now there's a politically charged statement if I've ever seen one.

Aw man I was hoping not having to rely on my plan B for life. Small self sustaining hippie compound with lots of love and guns.

Smarter plan is escape.

*sets up iwakumminity compound in asialand*

Still go for love and guns though.

Not to mention the Justice Department's attempt to snatch more power than they really have when dealing with the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act. If you violate a Terms of Service agreement, use a false name on Facebook, or even lie about your weight on Match.com, the federal government wants to prosecute you.

It's amazing that sort of slips under the radar when you're not looking, isn't it?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-57324779-281/doj-lying-on-match.com-needs-to-be-a-crime/

I'm starting to see signs that the world is going cyberpunk.