Improved Stealth Systems & More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempest

Floofmami
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Heyo! So, I was thumbing through all the fun settings in the user interface, and don't get me wrong, there are a lot of cool things back there, but...

Isn't there a way to turn off peoples' ability to view your recent activity and posts?

Now, I know in some ways that's something that the site maintenance group uses to find things between users, such as grouped threads for RPs and such... but, I think for those users that like to keep their privacy and not have people just thumbing through all their stuff, it goes a long way.

Yes, search features can circumvent some of it, in theory... but it is one more step and feels a lot better than just having a creeper wall on your profile that anyone can see (iirc).

Other things I have thought about that is honestly a little annoying is how invasive the current site messages are. The block blurbs that can spam up a section of your screen when the staffies are on a roll can be quite irritating, and honestly, this is one of those features that some people do not care much for. I have considered alternatives that might possibly be less "in-your-face" (yes, I know, its the best way for everyone to know its there, but in an obnoxious way).

First off, there is always the site e-mails for very important updates... which I thought was always available? It also allows individuals to opt out if they so desired.

Otherwise, perhaps a notification in our hand-dandy alerts tab that is either a forum-wide PM, or simply an alert that directs the the coinciding PSA, Update, etc.?

Isn't there a way to turn off peoples' ability to view your recent activity and posts?
I know that you can limit who views your profile. That could sort of achieve the same effect.

Other things I have thought about that is honestly a little annoying is how invasive the current site messages are. The block blurbs that can spam up a section of your screen when the staffies are on a roll can be quite irritating, and honestly, this is one of those features that some people do not care much for. I have considered alternatives that might possibly be less "in-your-face" (yes, I know, its the best way for everyone to know its there, but in an obnoxious way).
o3o Do you mean the messages that get displayed at the top of the site like a banner? Most of them can be X'ed out once you've read them...

Reactions: Pahndemic
You can limit who views your profile. Therefore, they cannot go on your page and select "view all posts by..." but they can still search for you/your posts in the general search bar.
I'm really not sure what you mean here. What you could do is simply select the button Toggle Width that is at the complete bottom of the page right beside where you select the button Toggle Sidebar that's on the front page:

toggle.png

Other than that, well, the site is meant to be very community oriented. Having the side menus there to show exercises and such is a part of that concept.

@Kagayours @Pahncakes

...... But its not to the same effect. At all. That completely shuts down all applicable use for a profile without minding privacy boundaries.

This is a feature that is not on the site. Hence the tagging as an IDEA.

And no, I'm not talking about the sidebar or the site maintenance banner/etc that is a spread of text on just the front of the forum.

I'm talking about the BOXES sent out BY STAFF that appear in the BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER OF YOUR SCREEN on every page you visitthat block off part of the forum from being accessed unless you can manage to click the 'X' which is broken on several mobile interfaces... Where it is also blocks off more of your screen and is even harder to tap the small correct spot because the announcement keeps size even when you zoom in/out on mobile.

:D Hopefully this gives you guys a better idea of what I mean.

...... But its not to the same effect. At all. That completely shuts down all applicable use for a profile without minding privacy boundaries.

This is a feature that is not on the site. Hence the tagging as an IDEA.

s_mMV1.gif

I was only suggesting a currently-existing feature that I thought might fulfill the same role, in case you didn't know that it existed. Not trying to completely shut down your idea or anything...

I'm talking about the BOXES sent out BY STAFF that appear in the BOTTOM RIGHT CORNER OF YOUR SCREEN on every page you visitthat block off part of the forum from being accessed unless you can manage to click the 'X' which is broken on several mobile interfaces... Where it is also blocks off more of your screen and is even harder to tap the small correct spot because the announcement keeps size even when you zoom in/out on mobile.
o_o" Well, the X on those announcements being broken on mobile is certainly what I would categorize as a bug... I don't think there's a need to replace that system with something completely different, since, ideally, it should be easy to X out of them once you've read them.

The fact that they're broken on mobile, of course, is still a problem. Just a problem of a different kind.

Hmm I believe there is in the settings, an option to have those boxes re-appear when you log out or something. Otherwise those are important site announcements and I don't think they will go away.

I'm gonna tag the admins cause obviously this is more in their branch of work.

@Kitti @Astaroth @Jorick

Urgh. Sorry for being snappish. Haven't been able to sleep because it's hot and allergies are making me seriously ill. Just a miserable combination.

But okay.

Pretty sure the notices are not actually broken on mobile. If I recall correctly from the last time I closed one out on mobile, they don't have an actual X but some other symbol (because of a bug of some sort) that you can click to close it. If you find such a notice that does not have any sort of symbol there in the upper right that can be pressed to close it, let us know because that probably means we messed up the notice and made it one that could not be dismissed.

As for your ideas, I'll go through them one by one.

We have no plans to implement any sort of heightened privacy feature like that. If you want to hide your activity from others then you'll have to forgo the other useful aspects of the profile by using the privacy feature that makes it so only those you follow can view your profile. Even then, if people are dreadfully curious, they can still use the site search to look up your username and find your recent posts. Any sort of addon to the forum software that would let people hide the activity tabs in their profile would cost money for the initial purchase and then more for license fees, and it's not anywhere close to a high enough priority for Diana to spend limited site funds on it.

Using email instead of site notices would have the dual effect of being annoying to more people and being seen by less people, which is just horribly inefficient. People would get annoyed that they're receiving emails for things on the site that they don't care about (such as monthly events) where currently they can dismiss it with a simple click on the site, and plenty of people don't check their email regularly so they would not see those messages in a reasonable amount of time. Having the notices appear on the site itself, so anyone who goes on the site sees them, is the best way to make sure they are actually seen by the people using the site. That's kind of the point of them: to be seen by site members.

Alerts instead of those notice blocks would be missed too easily. People rather frequently miss things like new roleplay posts in their threads because they open their alerts and then don't actually check them all. The same would happen to these site notices, and again, they are meant to be seen.

There's always PMs, if you don't want people viewing what you post? No one can view those but you and the other person/people in the conversations.

While the ability to search up a specific user's posts and history has the possibility to be invasive to a user's privacy, please be assured that you can always report a user if you feel like you are being harassed or stalked. ^^ It is part of our job - and specifically the Security Department's - to ensure that you are safe from harassment and stalking.

As for the block posts that we see on the corner of the screen occasionally, they are necessary for peeps to see important updates. Though yes, sometimes we do include some jokes and stuff like that, you can still dismiss these popups. We never intended them to be in-your-face invasive, hence why you can even click the little button to make them go away.

• Love
Reactions: LucLeigh
Status
Not open for further replies.