Imagine a World Where Being "Gay" is the Norm and Being "Straight" is the Minority

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't watch the video, but I will make a point and people can kiss my ass if they don't like it.

What will you do if you have a child and they come out to you? Are you going to tell them that they're unnatural, and there's something wrong with them?

My husband was completely against homosexuality when the two of us got together, until I made that point to him. It doesn't matter what you say now, or what you think is abnormal. When you have children of your own, you won't care what your opinion was in the past, because you'll accept them regardless, and you will want the rest of the world to accept them as well.

Wikipedia functions as a mediocre level (at best) source for post-secondary institutions because it's a good jumping board for the beginning of research. All Wikipedia does is summarize something for you into a more basic and digestible form, then leave citations that allow you to pursue where the users editing it got its information from. Ergo why one of the most prolific and infamous tags on Wikipedia is [citation needed], it means the claim lacks any verifiable source. Since it was obvious that Prisk had done zero research on the topic with the "it's not natural" claim, I decided that putting her on a page with dozens and dozens of citations she can view herself would be a good start to research if she chose to pursue the topic in her spare time.

Also, troll edits result in an IP ban from editing, since you leave your IP fingerprint anytime you make an edit. Which is why most Wikipedia pages usually manage to avoid being vandalized.

That's good. I actually didn't know that. I remember once looking up an actor from Prison Break to see more information. One minute it was there, refresh page later it wasn't then I heard people could edit it.

@WarriorHeart Hey man, I fight the same kinds of people... Hmph. Let me put it this way: I fight zealots. Not Christians, not Atheists, not Agnostics. Not gays, not heterosexuals, not asexuals. Not whites, not blacks, not hispanics... Zealots. When you're so certain of your position that you start making broad and sweeping statements about what a group of people can or cannot do, whether it is or is not natural, whether it should or shouldn't be, based solely on their ethnicity, sexuality, or (ir)religious beliefs, I will happily challenge that zealot.

Now, again, as I said to Prisk: I don't think she's a zealot and I don't think she's a bad person by any stretch of the imagination. I'm aware that to at least a certain extent she's playing Devil's Advocate as she later revealed her bisexual stance--something I was already aware of about her. Yes, she and I often sit on opposite sides of the table, but we keep it civilized generally. At the very least if I notice my tone is slipping, I try to explain why and steer the topic away from anything nasty. I think the main reason she got dog piled with negative votes is more that people saw the "it's unnatural" comment and knee-jerk'd downvotes. It happens.

Just because I don't agree with someone doesn't mean I'll disrespect them. That's reserved for pedophiles and people who talk in theater... :rotfl:

Ad hominems don't help your argument Hellis. Take this word of advice from me, your friend: If you want to discuss something, keep it civil. If you're too passionate to keep it civil, back away from the topic and learn better self restraint methods. You don't help your side by trashing others questioning your methods, regardless of whether they did it in a respectful or disrespectful way.

I hope you get this ferret something shiny to steal. :ferret:

That depends on what a ferret, with a liking of shiny things, enjoys.

And this is where the argument falls apart Prisk, because it makes two sweeping generalizations with zero evidence.

#1: It assumes there is a creator of some shape or form, and that creator has some sort of intelligence in order to determine a clandestine purpose for its creations. Evolution is merely a series of processes that doesn't give a shit if its processes succeed or fail, as evolution is merely the method by which things grow and change in a physical manner.

#2: Assuming there is a creator of some sort with a clandestine purpose, we assume to know what that purpose is despite having zero direct, verifiable contact with said creator. How do we know which version is the right one? Do we go with the Norse? The Greeks? Romans? Christians? Celts? Aztecs? An unknown, personal creator? Who's personal creator is right though? Which one is real and which one isn't? How can we determine their purpose? Before you argue "man + woman = baby", I can easily retort with "man has desire for man by nature, ergo by design: man + man = natural." The argument at its fundamental base is broken. That's why I challenge it, and it's why I don't tend to react to it well, because it's not a sensible, logical position: Not in theory or practice.

Now I totally agree that the video failed to deliver, but for different reasons: I don't think it succeeds to deliver because it's using a comparative for people who are beyond being receptive to such comparisons, and who will just build up mental walls to avoid associating themselves with what's going on over the 16 minute run time. The message needs to be more insidious and they need to be broken down in other, less sensitive topics first. Change is hard and slow and this video is attempting to brute force whilst moving at the pace of a snail. It has good intentions, but it fails in execution.

You know, if you don't want people downvoting you into oblivion, you probably shouldn't be insinuating that they're all too immature to handle your position.

I already made the sperm bank argument a page back. I also made the argument that homosexuals can still totally do the penguin mating dance in a wild one night stand, they just won't enjoy it, but if it meant procreation and they refused both adoption and sperm bank, again, they can totally get themselves knocked up biologically no problem.

Yes! YES! ABSOLUTELY! This is the argument I made last page too!

PEOPLE SHOULD JUST LISTEN TO THE FERRET MORE OFTEN! :ferret:

(No really though, you're doing great Kylulu. Ferret approved!)

There'd probably be a shortage of human beings.

This.

It's impossible for a society that discriminates against heterosexuality to naturally develop. The continued existence of any society is dependent upon procreation. If the majority of people don't continue on their lines, the society dies. Charles Darwin won't allow this fantasy to ever exist.

Plus, both the video and the idea which it's based on are laughably opaque. I understand the idea that's being conveyed: to make people think, "What if I was on the other side?". That's all well and good, and people should be accepted for what they are, but the scenario is just silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rainjay
This.

It's impossible for a society that discriminates against heterosexuality to naturally develop. The continued existence of any society is dependent upon procreation. If the majority of people don't continue on their lines, the society dies. Charles Darwin won't allow this fantasy to ever exist.

Plus, both the video and the idea which it's based on are laughably opaque. I understand the idea that's being conveyed: to make people think, "What if I was on the other side?". That's all well and good, and people should be accepted for what they are, but the scenario is just silly.
I'd like to point out that there are still Giraffes in the world, and they (at least the males) are almost exclusively homosexual in their behaviour. By your logic, the Giraffe shouldn't exist, or at the very least, have died out. But they do, because while the males aren't that into females, there is nothing stopping them from having intercourse with one for the sake of procreation. They're still very much homosexual, however. The scenario in the movie is quite similar, with men and woman being exclusively homosexual, save for a brief 'breeding season'.

And if I have one complaint about the film, it's this. I sorely wish they had come up with a better term. Breeding season implies it all instinct, a switch gets flipped and suddenly they're heterosexual for a while. When really, the more likely scenario for a society so against heterosexual relationship, would be a very business like arrangement between a couple, and a person of the opposite gender who willingly donates their time and body to create a baby. Breeding season also removes homosexuals further from humanity, as beasts are the ones who have mating/breeding seasons. And that is… problematic, at best.

I saw this once and honestly now I can't watch past the middle when they start hinting at the end.

Yeah, sure, discrimination/judging others/etc. might be natural but aren't we human for a reason? Why not devolve back into monkeys if we're bothered by a thing as trivial as this? And I say trivial because there are way too many people in this world- it's not like someone has to be heterosexual in order to keep the damned race alive.

And sadly, not all parents genuinely will accept their kids for whomever they are. Quite frankly, I'm not even sure if my own loving, religious grandfather would accept me, although it's not like he'll really ever find out, and neither do I care. Plenty of parents ostracize their own children because of this shit and it damn well needs to stop.

That said, considering that race isn't even a hurdle the entire planet has overcome (COUGH America COUGH Ferguson) it's hard to expect this to be something overcome so quickly either.

But honestly I don't think I've ever seen or heard of situations quite as bad as the one in the video. Not saying it doesn't happen. I'm sure it happens plenty. I'm fortunate to live in a place where you can be openly gay, agender and aromantic and not get any shit, whether it's because everyone is accepting or because half of the town will go after you in the middle of the night if you bother them. Although I don't know when the video was made, it probably would be a ton more effective if they changed up the presentation and horror of the situation.

That, and the fact that a lot of it is highly unrealistic. Even if everyone was naturally homosexual, we'd probably still value heterosexuals for keeping the population alive, and if they didn't, there would be no humans. That, and I view most of homosexuality arising from the excessive population- although other animals do this too. Not like I know scientifically why it happens, but the fact of the matter is; it does, and it makes no difference how a person should be viewed.

Humans are just a stickler for suffering, aren't we?

Reactions: LunaValentine
You're all babies and this thread is you guys vomiting all over your bib.

Except i'm not drunk, Brovo - I don't drink alcohol, but holy hell is that the only response you're able give me, which is like being looked down upon by a smug hamster.

This is truly a depressing and shitty thread, considering we all get heated up about what humanely shapes makes our wawa's go wonkadonk.

I mean, i'm less annoyed that some people feel that sexual orientation matters a damn. And more annoyed that everyone actually cares enough to give this any thought. In my mind, out of all the things people should give a fuck about. This is probably the most fucking petty, trivial, time wasting thing that society seems to give any credence, whatsoever. Maybe it's because I live in a European country, maybe it's because the answer is obvious here. But I don't see this as a debate where the side that actually cares about what floats your boat in bed should be given a platform any more, and the feeling is basically spread across anyone who wants to even engage in it.

If you want to make a difference on a local or national level? Sure, go for it. Awesome! But on an internet forum? Where the end result is pretty much vague and the concepts are consistent of abstract ideologies? What's the point? The argument was won a decade ago. There's nothing supporting those who are against same sex relationships or marriage or child rearing or one-night flings. This is, a waste, of time.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
Except i'm not drunk, Brovo - I don't drink alcohol, but holy hell is that the only response you're able give me, which is like being looked down upon by a smug hamster.

This is truly a depressing and shitty thread, considering we all get heated up about what humanely shapes makes our wawa's go wonkadonk.
Uhh... I gave you a "drunk" rating because you were kind of spewing some bile there about how everyone in this topic regardless of argument are "all babies". Now, you're calling me out for giving you a drunk rating (which is neutral and not negative) and using an ad hominem to boot.

Impressive, pot, I didn't know you couldn't see the kettle.
Maybe it's because I live in a European country,
It's probably this. You really have no clue, do you? You really don't understand or realize how I had friends that were bullied and spat on and even physically assaulted throughout their school years because they weren't heterosexual, do you? About 30% of all completed suicides in school were related to sexual identity. To pretend that this isn't an issue worth talking about is simply sticking your head in the sand and humming real loud, Scribz.

Look, I think it's fucking stupid that people care about this at all too, but you don't see me pretending that it isn't an issue worth talking about, and you don't see me telling everyone how fucking stupid they are without at least going to the effort of picking a particular argument apart and showing why that is. If you honestly think, even for half a second, that calling people out who give you a drunk rating and calling everyone emotionally immature children is going to sway anyone, or prove how mature you are and how above this topic you are, you're dead wrong.

Now, is there anybody else you'd like to insult in this thread? Cuz' if not, I think now is a good time for a moderator to swoop in and close it.

Reactions: Rainjay
Hey man. Try and guilt me, feign as if you care more about the topic than winning the debate, or tell me that highschool isn't a nice place. But unless you're going to do something locally about this, nothing here that's been said is going to change anything in real life, nor is it going to change anybodies opinion. This is, a useless thread.

I didn't watch the video, but I will make a point and people can kiss my ass if they don't like it.

What will you do if you have a child and they come out to you? Are you going to tell them that they're unnatural, and there's something wrong with them?

My husband was completely against homosexuality when the two of us got together, until I made that point to him. It doesn't matter what you say now, or what you think is abnormal. When you have children of your own, you won't care what your opinion was in the past, because you'll accept them regardless, and you will want the rest of the world to accept them as well.
Hi, Debbie Downer here.

When I came out to my parents for the first time about 5 years ago, I was put through 2 years of religious based 'convert my child back to being what I want them to be' "therapy", amongst other things that were very unpleasant, until I went back into the closet.

So uh... yeah, I mean that point would be nice to believe as true, but it isn't.

Hey man. Try and guilt me, feign as if you care more about the topic than winning the debate, or tell me that highschool isn't a nice place. But unless you're going to do something locally about this, nothing here that's been said is going to change anything in real life, nor is it going to change anybodies opinion. This is, a useless thread.
Can we at least agree that arguing about a useless thread is as useless as the thread itself?

THIS IS TOO SERIOUS.

Everyone go take a nap, while I lock this in closet!

Status
Not open for further replies.