Imagine a World Where Being "Gay" is the Norm and Being "Straight" is the Minority

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discounting a source that leads to several other sources of evolutionary biology via providing an argument that has zero evidence to support it. This is telling of the strength of your position. :deadhorse:

"People" as you put it are nothing more than another animal evolved from the same pond every other animal came from. The idea that humans are somehow "unique" in their sexual dimorphism and sexuality is simply... Wrong. From a scientific perspective, it is absolutely, utterly wrong. To punish people and socially ostracize them for that behaviour is wrong. Using "God hates fags" as an argument is straight wrong because God also gives rules for how to beat your slaves, and tells you to murder people for working on Sundays. We don't do those things because we've evolved socially to a sufficient level as to realize that God was wrong.

There is absolutely zero reason why we should cease homosexuals from performing their... "Behaviour", as you so put it. Remember: Adoption is an option! Homosexual couples who cannot have children absolutely can alleviate the horrible choked up social services system with good homes. Ignoring that, if you must insist on biological reproduction, a homosexual isn't incapable of it: They can get artificially inseminated from a sperm bank, or donate to said sperm bank. If you then still have to insist on "dick A must go into vagina B", they're still totally capable of doing that. They won't derive much enjoyment from it, but being homosexual does not preclude them from having biological children.

The argument is shit, the opinion is shit, it's backwards shit perpetuated by a bronze age book that tells people to murder each other over what kind of clothing they wear. This is one of those issues that is pretty plainly black and white and the only people that cling to it are the same fucking backwoods idiots that do everything in their power to cease the progression of mankind.

Anyway, sorry if that sounds like I'm directing it at you, I'm not. I fully realize you're pretty much playing Devil's Advocate, and I can appreciate the integrity involved in such a position that you can open your mind to view others perspectives, but remember: "Don't be so open minded that your brain falls out."
I don't know if they repaired the issue with Wikipedia but wasn't anyone allowed to log in, post up any information they desired? I don't really use it as a source to look for information....

I think it's more of a semantics issue. Homosexuality is illogical to Prisk, because they feel romance and sexual attraction should lead to offspring. They are entitled to this opinion. The issue is that they stated it as fact, and no underlining an IMO is going to null that. It's about as effective as spitting someone in their face and then telling them you meant no offence.

That said, though. I do agree with @Fenix on this. No need to kick someone when they're down. Disagree as we may, Prisk did say they have no issue with homosexuality. You all would do well to remember that. 'specially if you want to create a more tolerant environment.

I have to thank you for your opinion. If I could rate it twice I would. I agree with you.

Why is it whenever there is a discussion about something that matters [sexual orientation, politics, religion, etc.], people end up doing the same thing.

Everyone starts pointing fingers and generalizing statements. Let's be honest. Some of you are smarter than others. Some of you have a higher talent for research than others. Some of you are prettier than others. It's just the way things are; your acceptance of these facts is not necessary to make them true.

I have noticed a large number of tolerance movements in our world. In my mind, everyone has the right to be heard and believe in what they feel is right. What disturbs me is in every situation I have been in [this is MY experience and it may differ from others] those preaching tolerance are intolerant of my position. [This has happened almost every time]

Person "We want you to be tolerant of us."

Me "Ok, I tolerate you but I don't agree with what you say."

Person "You're ignorant."

Me "No. I understand what you are saying but it doesn't change how I feel about the subject."

Person "It's that kind of hateful attitude that we're trying to educate against."

I guess I'll never understand people like that. ^^^
Thank you for your time and letting me speak my piece. Have a nice day [regardless of where you stand on the issue].

~WH

I think it's more of a semantics issue. Homosexuality is illogical to Prisk, because they feel romance and sexual attraction should lead to offspring. They are entitled to this opinion. The issue is that they stated it as fact, and no underlining an IMO is going to null that. It's about as effective as spitting someone in their face and then telling them you meant no offence.

That said, though. I do agree with @Fenix on this. No need to kick someone when they're down. Disagree as we may, Prisk did say they have no issue with homosexuality. You all would do well to remember that. 'specially if you want to create a more tolerant environment.

And you were doing so, so very well. Now you're just shit-stirring :/

Not really. I thought you saw my post under your quoted one. You were late on that one.

So if someone has an opinion different than your own or not correct as you see fit that calls for them to to be wrapped up in a Facebook drama course of like dislike? What's the purpose of asking someone's opinion if you're going to bombard them with hate? The purpose of the topic is to hear all aspects of different point of views. Life is going to be filled with them. Just because you think you have the right answer does not mean you do no matter how much so called scientific philosophical etc you put in your post. I may not agree with Prisk's opinion, I may not like it but I can agree it is their opinion.

Oh and Hellis before you chastise someone you should learn to spell some words correctly. Just saying. You get a rating, since you want to throw them around, of being drunk because obviously you are with those spelling errors. Lay off the drinks early in the morning.
Oh hey, the old "You typo'd, point invalid" argument. What are you? 12? no? Then how about you leave that well off. You are just trying to cheap shot me because you have no real point.

Having a opinion is one thing, being willfully ignorant towards other peoples arguments is another. Using condescending language while not providing any real counter argument is yet another. And to do all this this while using language as if you are stating a fact? That's just a incredibly awkward.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh hey, the old "You typo'd, point invalid" argument. What are you? 12?
I'm older than you are. Don't be mad because in your attempt to kick a person down more you ended up missing how to spell key words. At least if you are going to be a dick learn how to spell. Until you do say nothing more.

tumblr_m13ffqjQtG1r9sh7mo1_500.png

Oh hey, the old "You typo'd, point invalid" argument. What are you? 12? no? Then how about you leave that well off. You are just trying to cheap shot me because you have no real point.

Having a opinion is one thing, being willfully ignorant towards other peoples arguments is another. Using condescending language while not providing any real counter argument is yet another. And to do all this this while using language as if you are stating a fact? That's just a incredibly awkward.

Are you with Prisk? Do you know that was their intent when making the message? No one knows how ANYONE is behind a computer to be frank. One could say your message came across as asshole like. Admit that you were baited by someone's opinion to react as you have. That's all there is to it. They said it was their opinion, now that is a fact.

To be honest we ALL have a bit of ignorance in us. About knowledge, race, things we clearly don't understand. To call out someone's failure to understand what you think to be right you should first put yourselves in their shoes. Make certain you don't hold ignorance yourself.

Now, I'll leave you be. It is almost Christmas, still have more shopping to do. Have a good day.

I wasn't going to do this, but I think I might have to in order to get out of this without being completely ostracized. I'll even list the points to make it comprehensible.

1 I'm bisexual myself. If someone makes me happy, it's all the same to me what sex/gender they are. I don't think homosexuality is "illogical" or that romance must lead to offspring. However, two men or two women cannot conceive a child without technological means or other assistance. In this sense, disregarding romance and love and all other aspects, homosexuality is biologically illogical. I might not be using the correct wording here, so please ignore semantical mistakes.

2 My issue with the video, and what lead me to talking about procreation and offspring, was the heavy focus on family and children. The girl wanted to play house with a mother and a father, but the other kids thought that was weird and disgusting because of the norms in this alternate reality. However, and perhaps someone can enlighten me here, there is no justification for their disgust other than it being against the norms. My opinion is that people reject homosexuals because they cannot procreate without technological assistance. Or, that's one of the reasons anyway, according to me. Whatever it is that created us intended for us to be this way, a man and a woman, and not in any other way in order to populate.

3 Handing out dislikes just because someone else's opinion doesn't resonate with yours is silly. I went on a vindictive streak and handed out negative ratings myself, but I have since then removed them, realizing that I was no better than the children throwing sand at each other in here. If you can't handle someone else's opinion, then either don't ask for it or simply ignore it. Also, randomly criticizing someone's opinion without being asked for that criticism is extremely rude and smug.

4 I don't want to say that I'm disappointed in this community thus far, but I have an extremely strong urge to do it. Technically, I already did, just now, but let's say that this point is just my thoughts rather than my official opinion.

2 My issue with the video, and what lead me to talking about procreation and offspring, was the heavy focus on family and children. The girl wanted to play house with a mother and a father, but the other kids thought that was weird and disgusting because of the norms in this alternate reality. However, and perhaps someone can enlighten me here, there is no justification for their disgust other than it being against the norms. My opinion is that people reject homosexuals because they cannot procreate without technological assistance. Or, that's one of the reasons anyway, according to me. Whatever it is that created us intended for us to be this way, a man and a woman, and not in any other way in order to populate.
From my own experience, "gays/lesbians can't procreate, therefor it is wrong" is used more as a persuasion tool to prove that being homosexual is wrong. The reasons for rejection seems to stem from a fear/distrust of the unusual or abnormal. Or what the individual perceives as abnormal, anyway. Rather than wrestle with the vague concepts of fear and unease, they justify it with examples of why this might be "wrong". I'm not saying your opinion is incorrect, just that I believe people take issue with homosexuality on deeper level than just procreation… Though people tend to place a lot of emphasis on having babies still, so I could be wrong in that.

Back on the topic of the video. Being against the norms can be enough justification for a person to feel disgust towards something. Especially for children of the age in the video. They're old enough to have picked up on the feelings of the adults around them, who presumably take issue with heterosexual relationships, but they haven't caught on as to why exactly the adults feel that way. Still, its enough to let them know that 1) This is something abnormal/strange, and 2) This is something to be disliked. But again, this is all speculation and opinion. I'm not a child psychologist, and I can't claim to know definitively what goes on in the heads of children.

Reactions: LunaValentine
From my own experience, "gays/lesbians can't procreate, therefor it is wrong" is used more as a persuasion tool to prove that being homosexual is wrong. The reasons for rejection seems to stem from a fear/distrust of the unusual or abnormal. Or what the individual perceives as abnormal, anyway. Rather than wrestle with the vague concepts of fear and unease, they justify it with examples of why this might be "wrong". I'm not saying your opinion is incorrect, just that I believe people take issue with homosexuality on deeper level than just procreation… Though people tend to place a lot of emphasis on having babies still, so I could be wrong in that.

Back on the topic of the video. Being against the norms can be enough justification for a person to feel disgust towards something. Especially for children of the age in the video. They're old enough to have picked up on the feelings of the adults around them, who presumably take issue with heterosexual relationships, but they haven't caught on as to why exactly the adults feel that way. Still, its enough to let them know that 1) This is something abnormal/strange, and 2) This is something to be disliked. But again, this is all speculation and opinion. I'm not a child psychologist, and I can't claim to know definitively what goes on in the heads of children.
Take note, children. This is how you respond to someone else's opinion that you may or may not agree with. To further exemplify, I will respond to these statements that I do not fully agree with.

1. You mentioned "deeper levels" than just a matter of procreation. Could you speak a little more to that and perhaps provide some examples of those levels?

2. I may agree that something being against the norms can be enough justification for a person to feel disgust, but doesn't that norm stem in something? In this case, what would that norm originate in? I have little to no understanding of how a person can feel disgust towards the choices of another person unless they somehow contest such basic things as procreation.

... Gawdamn though.

I'mma leave this shit right here, 'cuz my ass forever a fan of Shit Does Not Exist In A Vaccuum.

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/queer-theory

As for how that shit I watched awhile ago made me feel, I feel like there's some hella insidious shit going on when you change the narrative to focus off the people who actually experiencing the injustice, the oppression and turn it on to the folk who don't suffer that bullshit at all.

Woah, where did all this debate stuff come from?
I'll just leave this here in hope of stopping it. We're all family, right?!

Sperm banks and test tube babies would be key to human survival if homosexuality was the norm.

Sounds like a world in which the main topic at hand really really bores me, can we move on?

This thread has devolved into a babyfight which is getting nothing done other than people trying to out-piss each other.

Plz staph

1. You mentioned "deeper levels" than just a matter of procreation. Could you speak a little more to that and perhaps provide some examples of those levels?

2. I may agree that something being against the norms can be enough justification for a person to feel disgust, but doesn't that norm stem in something? In this case, what would that norm originate in? I have little to no understanding of how a person can feel disgust towards the choices of another person unless they somehow contest such basic things as procreation.
Ultimately, I think homophobia/transphobia/all gender and sexual phobias, stem from the primal "fear of the unknown", and the "fear of change". Humans as a whole have proven time and time again that we are very resistant to change, often times pushing against it so much, that when it finally does come, it's sudden and violent. Now, homosexuality is by no means a new concept. There's evidence throughout history that it has been around for a long time. Long enough to have religious law against it. But it's recently that it has become more widely recognized and in the spotlight. It is challenging the idea that has been told through generations. That romantic relationships must be between a man and woman.

That idea, admittedly, may have started due to procreation, but I don't believe that's what drives the rejection of homosexuality now. And even way back when, the focus on procreation was driven by the fear of dying out. There was a solid chance a child wouldn't survive to adulthood, so people were pushed to have as many as possible. Nowadays, I think people more reject homosexuality, because heterosexuality is all they've ever really known and seen. Procreation being brought up as, again, a persuasion tool. But not the root cause of the rejection. If it was the root cause of why some people are so against homosexual relationships, wouldn't it make sense to be against elderly couples marrying long after their fertile years? Or the infertile?

Reactions: Brovo
I don't know if they repaired the issue with Wikipedia but wasn't anyone allowed to log in, post up any information they desired? I don't really use it as a source to look for information....
Wikipedia functions as a mediocre level (at best) source for post-secondary institutions because it's a good jumping board for the beginning of research. All Wikipedia does is summarize something for you into a more basic and digestible form, then leave citations that allow you to pursue where the users editing it got its information from. Ergo why one of the most prolific and infamous tags on Wikipedia is [citation needed], it means the claim lacks any verifiable source. Since it was obvious that Prisk had done zero research on the topic with the "it's not natural" claim, I decided that putting her on a page with dozens and dozens of citations she can view herself would be a good start to research if she chose to pursue the topic in her spare time.

Also, troll edits result in an IP ban from editing, since you leave your IP fingerprint anytime you make an edit. Which is why most Wikipedia pages usually manage to avoid being vandalized.

@WarriorHeart Hey man, I fight the same kinds of people... Hmph. Let me put it this way: I fight zealots. Not Christians, not Atheists, not Agnostics. Not gays, not heterosexuals, not asexuals. Not whites, not blacks, not hispanics... Zealots. When you're so certain of your position that you start making broad and sweeping statements about what a group of people can or cannot do, whether it is or is not natural, whether it should or shouldn't be, based solely on their ethnicity, sexuality, or (ir)religious beliefs, I will happily challenge that zealot.

Now, again, as I said to Prisk: I don't think she's a zealot and I don't think she's a bad person by any stretch of the imagination. I'm aware that to at least a certain extent she's playing Devil's Advocate as she later revealed her bisexual stance--something I was already aware of about her. Yes, she and I often sit on opposite sides of the table, but we keep it civilized generally. At the very least if I notice my tone is slipping, I try to explain why and steer the topic away from anything nasty. I think the main reason she got dog piled with negative votes is more that people saw the "it's unnatural" comment and knee-jerk'd downvotes. It happens.

Just because I don't agree with someone doesn't mean I'll disrespect them. That's reserved for pedophiles and people who talk in theater... :rotfl:
Oh hey, the old "You typo'd, point invalid" argument. What are you? 12?
Ad hominems don't help your argument Hellis. Take this word of advice from me, your friend: If you want to discuss something, keep it civil. If you're too passionate to keep it civil, back away from the topic and learn better self restraint methods. You don't help your side by trashing others questioning your methods, regardless of whether they did it in a respectful or disrespectful way.
Now, I'll leave you be. It is almost Christmas, still have more shopping to do. Have a good day.
I hope you get this ferret something shiny to steal. :ferret:
Whatever it is that created us intended for us to be this way, a man and a woman, and not in any other way in order to populate.
And this is where the argument falls apart Prisk, because it makes two sweeping generalizations with zero evidence.

#1: It assumes there is a creator of some shape or form, and that creator has some sort of intelligence in order to determine a clandestine purpose for its creations. Evolution is merely a series of processes that doesn't give a shit if its processes succeed or fail, as evolution is merely the method by which things grow and change in a physical manner.

#2: Assuming there is a creator of some sort with a clandestine purpose, we assume to know what that purpose is despite having zero direct, verifiable contact with said creator. How do we know which version is the right one? Do we go with the Norse? The Greeks? Romans? Christians? Celts? Aztecs? An unknown, personal creator? Who's personal creator is right though? Which one is real and which one isn't? How can we determine their purpose? Before you argue "man + woman = baby", I can easily retort with "man has desire for man by nature, ergo by design: man + man = natural." The argument at its fundamental base is broken. That's why I challenge it, and it's why I don't tend to react to it well, because it's not a sensible, logical position: Not in theory or practice.

Now I totally agree that the video failed to deliver, but for different reasons: I don't think it succeeds to deliver because it's using a comparative for people who are beyond being receptive to such comparisons, and who will just build up mental walls to avoid associating themselves with what's going on over the 16 minute run time. The message needs to be more insidious and they need to be broken down in other, less sensitive topics first. Change is hard and slow and this video is attempting to brute force whilst moving at the pace of a snail. It has good intentions, but it fails in execution.
Take note, children.
You know, if you don't want people downvoting you into oblivion, you probably shouldn't be insinuating that they're all too immature to handle your position.
Woah, where did all this debate stuff come from?
I'll just leave this here in hope of stopping it. We're all family, right?!

Sperm banks and test tube babies would be key to human survival if homosexuality was the norm.
I already made the sperm bank argument a page back. I also made the argument that homosexuals can still totally do the penguin mating dance in a wild one night stand, they just won't enjoy it, but if it meant procreation and they refused both adoption and sperm bank, again, they can totally get themselves knocked up biologically no problem.
This thread has devolved into a babyfight which is getting nothing done other than people trying to out-piss each other.

Plz staph
Ultimately, I think homophobia/transphobia/all gender and sexual phobias, stem from the primal "fear of the unknown", and the "fear of change". Humans as a whole have proven time and time again that we are very resistant to change, often times pushing against it so much, that when it finally does come, it's sudden and violent.
Yes! YES! ABSOLUTELY! This is the argument I made last page too!

PEOPLE SHOULD JUST LISTEN TO THE FERRET MORE OFTEN! :ferret:

(No really though, you're doing great Kylulu. Ferret approved!)

Is everyone just going to overlook this fact or what
Yes. Considering...
If you then still have to insist on "dick A must go into vagina B", they're still totally capable of doing that. They won't derive much enjoyment from it, but being homosexual does not preclude them from having biological children.
EDIT

No Fauna, you're not an idiot for pointing out something that got ignored. If I have to hug you to make you realize that, I will. I swear. :ferret:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.