I'm really uncomfortable right now when it comes to roleplaying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ibara no Joō

Original poster
Normally I'm okay with taking risks and being all out there but today. I'm more reserved...I'm sticking to what I know and when I try to roleplay here on the site, the members make me feel useless or nervous. I'm not sure why or anything. I've been gone in and out because of health reasons and school, but a lot of my old partners don't even know me...anymore. I barely know myself. What should I do?

Don't think anyone can tell you what to do, but we can certainly give ya some advice to help maybe clear your head?

Maybe you should take a break from RP'ing period, and try some solo creative writing. Bust out the journal or a writing pad or a word doc and just start writing away! Get the creative juices flowing, y'know? Get comfortable with telling a story on your own, then you can be comfortable with telling a story with one or more people.

If that's not working, or not what you want to do, you can try reading fiction. Pick your poison: fantasy schlock, sci-fi schlock, mystery schlock, classic schlock... Whatever! Pick up an oldie-but-goodie, choose a random book at the library or Barnes & Noble, and really read it. Take it apart. Criticize it in your head, or even take a red pen to it, or have an Editor's journal with you.

As for dealing with your actual partners, just try communicating with them. Openly engage, or try to engage, and if that doesn't seem to work... Well, we have thousands at Iwaku. Why not meet new folk? Try to find partners that can meet your needs? Hilariously enough, finding a solid RP partner is like finding a good person to date. You gotta agree on a lot of things, blend well with one another, the whole 9.

Let me know if I can help with anything else. Hit me wall up or PM me.

And Merry Christmas to you!

thank you for the information. I've never had this happen before. I mean I'm seeing familiar faces and what not and remembering roleplays but I can't seem to put a clear image to them or what it was an for a while...I felt like when I closed my eyes I could see what was going to happen next and when it happened, it felt like a door being locked in front of me, and someone was grinning and twisted me around and pushed me away from the door I wanted to reach.

Sounds pretty similar to some gnarly writer's block and just some exhaustion on top of it. Yeah, I'd say just relax, take a break if you need to, and don't be so hard on yourself. Start over, start from scratch if you need to: do you, boo!

Status
Not open for further replies.