I'm going stir crazy.

Delnoir

A Relic of a Bygone Era
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
I'm seriously at the end of my rope here. I'm going nuts. I unable to get enthused about anything. At all. With the exception of the one game I can't play I can't even get excited about video games anymore, the one real passion I'd say I have in my life. I just don't have the computer to do so. I read a report today that the employed/unemployed ratio in my state is 1/5 and I believe it. I've been on the hunt for far too long with too few results. Two interviews that I felt I nailed in the last month and nothing.

I don't want to get up in the morning. I don't want to go to bed at night. It's all turning into one big fucking blur. My social life runs the incredibly high risk of having my best and only friend in the whole goddamn world being shipped off to Seattle unless we can somehow move out together but even now he seems to be spending a lot of time up there already and I'm starting to think he's just resigned himself to that fate and simply refuses to talk to me about it.

School can barely hold my attention and I end up skipping out on class more than I'd like to admit. I haven't the money to do anything, go anywhere, buy anything, nothing I can do to keep myself entertained and out of the realm of utter boredom. If this is what being world weary is I honestly have no idea how people can possibly deal with it.

I just want something good to happen for once. I want to catch a break. Land a job so I can get a computer so I can play games I enjoy with my friends online. Meet someone who can pull me out of this social rut. Something, anything, to help me get out of this cycle where I'm just one big fleshy mass of depression and boredom...

Go out for a walk when you get depressed. It always helps me. Looking at nature, along with other people outside helps me unwind.

I'm also in that rut where I can't find a job and I've been here for more than 6 months. Compare that to Texas where I got a new job within two months. I also blame it on the fact that I don't have credentials where I want to work so to help with that I'm going to volunteer my time at the local library. Perhaps you could do the same? I know you won't be paid but it would help with experience and help you not feel so down in the dumps.

Don't give up on school. Ever. It's your escalator to getting a better job. No matter how little motivation you have for it, keep going to class, keep putting your best effort. It will definitely pay off in the end.

Zen is right, stay in school. Your commitment to it will be taken into consideration when you apply for work. Maybe it's not helping now, but it might someday. Plus, once you get your degree there will be more options available to you. School's not the best thing in the world, but it gives your brain stimulation it needs to feel happy and achieving that success in school will elate you. :] I myself am trying to resume school. The community college here is shitty, but it's something. I need to do something more with my life while I care for my infant. So I can understand the depression bit. I know how it feels to get so low that you start asking yourself "What's the point?" for...everything.

Get some of that lovely Oregon air in your lungs when you're feeling like crap. lol Make the best of what tools you've got. If you need money, there are other ways of earning it. The weather is warming up! Why not plan a garage sale? Are there items in your room you're willing to part with by selling them on eBay, maybe? It's tough, understandably. I don't like to get rid of my sentimental collectibles, but there are times when you need cash more than you need an action figure, comic book, game, etc.

In addition to the warming weather: look into some volunteer work. It's lame advice and most of it doesn't get you paid... It is a good way to get started, though. Employers really do look at where you've volunteered at when considering you for a job. It will help your gray moods, too. You're contributing to someone who really needs your help and you're added new experience to your resume.

And I don't know how you feel about kids, but... Babysitting? xD I used to do that for quick money, too. I made a profile on Care.com where people would email me with job offers. Sometimes you get "I need someone for just a couple days", sometimes you get "I need someone for the whole school year". That website lets you put yourself out there for tutoring and pet sitting as well. Babysitting is a form of customer service, so don't be afraid of trying it for more work experience when out job hunting. There was a time when that's ALL I ever knew how to do, yet it was enough for a marketing company to hire me.

Hope I offered some okay ideas. Don't give up. We have to fight the slum our country has fallen into.