I'm curious, anyone else have a lack of Trick-or-Treaters?

We had a total of 13 kids. Those 13 kids got a heck load of candy.

Some 5 kids :P

Considering this is not a local tradition, it's a record :P Because you know, the Church dislikes Halloween.

I know right? But they repeat that BS about pagan and satanic ulterior meanings and that it's actual devil worshipping which should be forbidden because kids should pray instead of wearing vampire costumes. They forget how much Christians borrowed from previous pagan ceremonies (of course don't care/want to admit).

I go to college in Michigan and it just so happened to be cold/snowing up here when it was time to go, so I can't imagine a lot of kids went out. But my roommate when out with some friends and brought back a lot of candy. And a fruit roll up. :I

I know right? But they repeat that BS about pagan and satanic ulterior meanings and that it's actual devil worshipping which should be forbidden because kids should pray instead of wearing vampire costumes. They forget how much Christians borrowed from previous pagan ceremonies (of course don't care/want to admit).
Also that if you follow the Bible canonically it states the existence of witchcraft and magic and so on, but I get ya. Fear mongering and control schemes. Sad. I'd give those kids tons of sympathy candy if I could.

Reactions: Vanessa Delamare
We didn't get any at all. Granted, I live in Sweden, and here, Halloween isn't really a thing.

Some 5 kids :P
Considering this is not a local tradition, it's a record :P Because you know, the Church dislikes Halloween.
My husband said the same thing. Oddly though, when I went to catholic school back when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth, (Kidding!) we really didn't hear anything about it. The nuns and priest never actively tried discouraging us from trick-or-treating, so I'm wondering why the sudden change. If anything churches should be encouraging kids to have fun, especially since there are fewer and fewer people buying into the whole religious thing. But, if you're Catholic everything fun is a sin. Guess that means I'm going straight to hell.

My husband said the same thing. Oddly though, when I went to catholic school back when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth, (Kidding!) we really didn't hear anything about it. The nuns and priest never actively tried discouraging us from trick-or-treating, so I'm wondering why the sudden change. If anything churches should be encouraging kids to have fun, especially since there are fewer and fewer people buying into the whole religious thing. But, if you're Catholic everything fun is a sin. Guess that means I'm going straight to hell.
It depends on individual priests, bishops and even pope. Francis is quite cool and seems eager to make reforms but the conservative faction wants to stay in power, in pretty much medieval-like fashion, imposing doctrines without encouraging people to do something really positive and start accepting each other. Everything which isn't in their canon of thinking is wrong. Also, in my country the days after Halloween (especially November 1) are rather sad and serious, devoted to memories of deceased, so Halloween fun seems inappropriate. Especially for older people. The typical Halloween horror stories don't help them to see it differently xd

There were a lot last weekend, but they don't hold trick or treating on Halloween Day here.

It was about 1:3 crackheads to trick or treaters this year.

We didn't have any trick-or-treaters, but we didn't have candy, either. After being out of town all week, we made a run to Walmart and ALL OF THE CANDY WAS GONE. Even on the regular candy aisle.

I think it was far too cold, but while we were coming back from Wal-Mart, we saw a bunch of people and their children starting to make their rounds.

I live in the UK and in my neighbourhood there were only 6 kids that went all out. :P

We were going to a concert on Halloween, so we didn't have any cheap gum or fire safety pamphlets to hand out. Plus, Asmo despises anything smaller than him.

We had a small mob of children banging on our door. I guess that despite the lack of decorations or an immediate answer, the lone light we had on in our den was justification enough to keep pounding on our door and hollering trick or treat over and over. I thought they would break down our door and rip us apart.

Finally, I told them to fuck off before I made them into a stew.

>:I

Last edited by a moderator: