I'm becoming an absent student and I hate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Taureine

Original poster
Since the middle of November everything was pretty darn great - I got out of my chronic depression, I got out of my parents' house and I even made a dark day where I had attempted to take my own life into a turning point for the better that led me to go to school after over seven years of nothing. As I said, things were doing GREAT, heck, I even lost over 40 pounds since summertime!

Then, at 4 AM exactly one week ago, I wake up in pain - painkillers, compresses and even going to the bathroom did nothing to abate the agony I felt and I ended up throwing up thrice in the bathroom. I was rushed to the hospital and ended up stressing and fearing for the worse (an appendicitis) for a good twelve hours only to be told by my parents of all people that a doctor had not even deigned waiting for me to come back from the bathroom and had instead told my parent without my consent (I'm a full adult, ffs!) about my condition; I had a small kidney stone, I had to take this and that medicine to get it through my urethra and that I was free to go. No words to me, just assuming I would get the full message from my parents. As it was, I had to call the local health line to get the full rundown of what to do and what I should avoid. I'm still pissed.

Anyways! Since it was now Saturday night, I was invited to stay at my parents until the next night when I'll return to my own house. The weekend passed pretty quickly, despite the pain and the stress of what to do once the week began again.

You see, as an educational center for adult, my school is pretty strict on attendance. As it was, since we got two weeks off for the holidays, we only have about a two and a half days allowance for absenteeism. As things are, I had to take all those two and a half days off in the last week for health reasons and now I'm stuck with a whole week left to go. I love studying and learning, don't get me wrong! But since the center is so strict on attendance, I don't feel I have the freedom to rest and recover like I should in my condition. Worse, should I miss too much or even four days in a row, I could be expelled with the potential stigma that comes with it.

What the actual f**k can I do now?

Last edited by a moderator:
only to be told by my parents of all people that a doctor had not even deigned waiting for me to come back to the bathroom and had instead told my parent without my consent (I'm a full adult, ffs!) about my condition; I had a small kidney stone, I had to take this and that medicine to get it through my urethra and that I was free to go. No words to me, just assuming I would get the full message from my parents. As it was, I had to call the local health line to get the full rundown of what to do and what I should avoid. I'm still pissed.
Ok, first of all, that's fucked up -- I can't believe a doctor would act that way, and I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

You see, as an educational center for adult, my school is pretty strict on attendance. As it was, since we got two weeks off for the holidays, we only have about a two and a half days allowance for absenteeism. As things are, I had to take all those two and a half days off in the last week for health reasons and now I'm stuck with a whole week left to go. I love studying and learning, don't get me wrong! But since the center is so strict on attendance, I don't feel I have the freedom to rest and recover like I should in my condition. Worse, should I miss too much or even four days in a row, I could be expelled with the potential stigma that comes with it.
Have you tried talking to someone there about the reason why you'll be out sick? Surely if you made it clear that you were hospitalized, they'd be a bit more lenient. You shouldn't have to treat a serious medical reason for not attending as being the same as run-of-the-mill life stuff, which I'm sure is what the strict attendance policy is aimed at, rather than trying to punish people for medical problems that they couldn't have seen coming. o_o"

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Ok, first of all, that's fucked up -- I can't believe a doctor would act that way, and I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

Have you tried talking to someone there about the reason why you'll be out sick? Surely if you made it clear that you were hospitalized, they'd be a bit more lenient. You shouldn't have to treat a serious medical reason for not attending as being the same as run-of-the-mill life stuff, which I'm sure is what the strict attendance policy is aimed at, rather than trying to punish people for medical problems that they couldn't have seen coming. o_o"
Yes, I did speak to my teacher, who is also a councilor for full-time students there. She told me that should I go over the allowed absent time, I would still get a warning letter but they would take my situation into account. The problem is I'm not sure if that means I still can't miss too much or that I can relax. I have a really limited amount of cash for my schooling, and paying 50 bucks again and then go over the whole process of getting registered as a student at the center again is not appealing to me.

Should I go see a doctor for a diagnostic and a paper saying I can't study full time right now? Will they be okay with just a medication list and my word for it? I don't know, and that stresses me.

Fuck it, I'll call Monday morning and keep asking until I get all my answers.

YOU FEEL YOUR DETERMINATION RISING

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Kitti
Fuck it, I'll call Monday morning and keep asking until I get all my answers.
Yeah, that's exactly what I would've suggested. If you're unsure about something, communication is the best way to fix it. And if you run into more questions, just ask again -- that's better than letting yourself be confused and anxious over uncertainties that could easily be asked about. o_o"

Anyway, good luck with everything! ^^ I have a feeling you'll be alright, so long as you can get in all the doctor's notes that you need to.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
I'm not sure how things works were you are, but if you have a signed doctors note they cannot get you in trouble for being ill. Because the doctor has written out that you were in fact ill with what you claimed and how the treatment + recovery time would go. We have a system here for things like missing due dates and exams. I had to do it once because I got the flu the day of an exam.

I'm not sure how things works were you are, but if you have a signed doctors note they cannot get you in trouble for being ill. Because the doctor has written out that you were in fact ill with what you claimed and how the treatment + recovery time would go. We have a system here for things like missing due dates and exams. I had to do it once because I got the flu the day of an exam.
Like I said, the doctor didn't even see it fit to see me, let alone write a note for me.

Still, I cleared it up and I'm safe, so all's good!

Reactions: Pahndemic
Status
Not open for further replies.