Illusions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ellie wrote down the schedule, nodding. "Uh-huh, Thank you. I'll be in touch. After the funeral? Yes, I understand. That is perfectly fine. Buh-bye." She looked into the eyes of Kerensa, nodding. "They're bringing him too. You're- You're funeral is this week, so they will not stop by to see me until after the funeral.." She stood, stretching and changing her clothes. "I.. I have a date tonight. And this man doesn't know about me, so I'm going to ask for you to refrain from following me, okay?"

"I understand. Can you just help me with one more thing?" She sighed as she thought about it. Would it be a stupid question to ask? It couldn't be, right? A lot of ghosts must do this. They have to. "Could you... Help me find where my funeral will be held?"

Ellie shrugged, nodding. "I wont attend, though.. There are too many ghosts at a funeral home. So I'll show you where it is, and then you can find me again, okay?" She stood, hopping into the shower. Once out, she picked a long red dress and red lipstick for her date; It had been a long time since a man was interested in Ellie. She smiled at herself in the mirror, a small part of her wishing that the ghosts would go away for good. But she knew that was a long shot.

"Y-Yes... That'll be enough." She nodded in appreciation and waited for her to get ready.

In the meantime, she couldn't help but wonder how her own funeral would be. It wouldn't be anything grand, she knew that much. It'd probably just be a small one, with a few speeches, mourns and the people that missed her.

That got her thinking even more, though. How many would even miss her enough to attend? She was never really popular, or had that many friends. The only people that she knew would attend were her parents at this point... And probably Zack. Would there be anyone else?

She sighed. There was only one way to find out... "Umm... A-Are you ready?"

Ellie scowled, nodding. The door knocked, and Ellie ran to answer it. "Jonathan!" Jonathan was tall and muscular, his brown eyes looking down on Elisabeth with warm happiness. "Hi, Elisabeth. Ready to go?" Ellie nodded, putting a finger up and smiling. "One second. I brought wine for later." She grinned, watching him walk towards the driveway to start the car. Ellie turned to Kerensa, nodding. "I'll have him drive by. Just.. Get in his car and don't touch anything. The drive to the funeral home isn't that far."

"D-Don't touch anything. Got it." She simply nodded quietly and walked over towards the recently arrived man and his car. Why did this feel... Like she has done this exact thing before? Not walk into the car, but... Walk into this car. It was like... She remembered it. Anyway, she sat quietly in the backseat, not touching anything, like she had been asked.

Ellie took a seat in the passengers side next to Jonathan, nodding. "Ready. Oh.. Is there any way we can stop by the funeral home? There will be a funeral this evening for a woman I know and I would like to say a prayer." Jonathan smiled, nodding. "Sure. How long did you know Kerensa?" Ellie's eyebrow shot up at the question, her body shifting to look over at him. "And how do you know her?" Jonathan shrugged, looking down at the steering wheel. "We all hung out together... Five or six of us. Slowly we all drifted away until it was just Kerensa and I. But she started acting different.. More depressed. After that, I stopped hanging out with her. I just found out today about her death. What a shame. So tell me.. How do you know?" Ellie shrugged, smiling. "I.. just recently met her. She walked up to my house for help. She was lost on a road, and needed some information. We hung out for the day or so, and she told me about herself." Technically, she wasn't lying. Jonathan smiled, accepting this as an answer and nodding. "Let's go."

Of course. Now it all made sense.

Jonathan... The love of her life. The question was if he knew that. The day that they met was the happiest day of Kerensa's life, until the day that they started seeing each other one on one, of course. After that happiness spike, though, her body felt like leveling it out. She started to get worried about losing him, and scenarios where that'd happen started popping up in her head. She tried to hide it, though, and carried on.

Once he figured her out, he left. When she needed him most. Her life went downhill from there, she didn't move, didn't speak and didn't eat. Her house would just be a mess, everything toppled over and thrown around. It'd probably get fixed up and get sold to some stranger, at any rate. Everyone in the family already has a place to live, so there would be no point in keeping it.

She sighed. Why did her life turn out so miserable?

Jonathan frowned, his eyes watering up for a moment. "You know.. I didn't think I was ready to date until I found someone like you. I... I really loved Kerensa. But she was so distant. I'd ask to spend time with her, and she'd just acting weird about it. Like she didn't trust me. I really wish I could have told her how much I cared before it was to late. It- It was all my fault." Ellie frowned, hugging Jonathan. "No, Jonathan. It isn't... You see, I can see ghosts. That's how I know Kerensa. And she- She came to me to ask for help. And she's in this car. But I know she wouldn't want you to stop dating, or even think it was your fault."

As Kerensa heard the woman tell Jonathan her profession, Kerensa stretched her arms out and shook her head profusely. She didn't want her to spoil this potential moment.

As she told him about her presence, though, she lowered her arms again and looked at Jonathan. At his reaction. How'd he react to knowing that his dead ex was in the same car as him?

Jonathan looked around the backseat, his eyes wide. "You sure?" Ellie nodded, frowning. "But.. If you'd like me to leave, I can." Jonathan shook his head, hugging Ellie. "As long as you can help Kerensa cross over, I'll be fine with that. Tonight is the night that I'm going to spoil and dine with you, dear." Ellie giggled, nodding. "I have to let Kerensa out at the funeral home, though. She needs to see her own funeral. I'm not sure why, but she needs that closure, I guess." Jonathan grinned, kissing Ellie and sighing. "At least I know you're here. I was so afraid of moving on since Kerensa.. But now that I know she is okay with it.. I'll give it a shot."

Kerensa smiled at their conversation. At the very least, Jonathan could carry on without her.

But at the same time, some selfish part of her hated that fact. If he'd carry on... He'd forget her at some point. She simply... Wouldn't be anything more than a distant memory. She slowly reached out and put her hand on Jonathan's shoulder. "Don't forget me... Please..."

Ellie let Kerensa touch Jonathan, feeling relieved as they finally reached the funeral home. She realized how popular Kerensa must have been; The funeral parlor was filled with people in the parking lot. She looked to Kerensa, nodding. "Your stop." She wrapped an arm around Jonathan, driving off with him. Her mind drifted towards what Kerensa said. A small part of her wondered how long Kerensa decided to stay on this planet; She needed to cross over sometime.

She stepped outside, astonished at how many actually showed up. How was it even possible? She didn't know this many, how could all of these people be here?

Oh, of course. There must be some kind of double-booking. That's the only correct reason, right?

She still walked towards her grave, where the funeral was supposed to be held.

Ellie and Jonathan stopped at a local restaurant, sitting down to a nice dinner. Ellie was horrified as she saw a ghost walk towards her screaming; He seemed to be distressed. She sighed, closing her eyes and focusing on a mantra; This would stop the psychic abilities until she was ready to open them up again. "Are you alright, Elisabeth?" Ellie looked into Jonathan's eyes, nodding. "Yes.. I-I was just thinking about what park we are going to after dinner. Anywhere special?"

As she rounded the corner, she expected to see her grave right there in front of her.

She did not. All she saw was people. Surrounding what looked like... Her own grave. All of these people were here for her sake. There was no other funeral today. Hers was... The only one. She walked up to the people, to try and catch what they were saying to each other.

"This is just awful..."
"Why do the good die young?"
"I hope that she can at least find rest in the afterlife."

At least two thirds of the people had roses. Something to throw down at her coffin once it's sinking down. She looked at her gravestone, or more notably, the picture someone had set up next to it. It was Kerensa, alright. She even remembered the moment that this was taken. It was one of the most recent images that anyone ever took of her. It was her, smiling towards the camera in front of some restaurant. She didn't remember being happy, though. She just faked that smile, like she had many times. She sighed. Her life was rarely anything to smile for.

Ellie drove with Jonathan to a remote park on the north end of town; She decided to open up her psychic abilities again, figuring that Kerensa would come back in no time. She kissed Jonathan a couple more times, enjoying the fact that he like her for who and what she was. Jonathan frowned down at her, shaking his head. "Was Kerensa okay? D-Does.. She look the same way?" Ellie shook her head, looking down at her hands. "She looked.. Severely anorexic, Jon. Like.. Like she hadn't eaten in weeks. That's what ultimately killed her."

After the ceremony was finished, people started leaving the graveyard. One by one, they dropped off, soon only leaving Kerensa there. She looked at her grave one final time before crying as she walked back.

While she walked, she noted that she could spot a little park from where she was. And in said park... Were Jonathan and the other lady. She decided to walk over... But she didn't say a thing.

Jonathan shook his head, pulling out his cell phone and pulling up a picture of Kerensa. This picture was before she became depressed. "She never was that skinny. I mean.. She was thin, but not like you describe. I just don't see what caused her to become depressed. I wanted to help her.." Ellie put a finger to his lips, grabbing two big glasses and pouring wine into the glass. "I know. Just drink some wine and relax. She understands."

Kerensa arrived just in time to hear Jonathan's last sentence. She partially understood him, he didn't know. But she had been depressed for as long as she could remember. She had tried to keep a good face up at all times, so that her friends and family wouldn't worry about her.

But it's time that Jonathan got to know the truth. She walked over to the other woman and talked. "Nothing caused my depression. I was born with it."

Status
Not open for further replies.