I'll take it from here #7

K

Kitti

The first sentence of a story can reel in the reader as they wonder what it means, what will happen next, or how it will tie in to the rest of the story. It can also be one of the hardest lines to write because it all begins with that first sentence.

Well, you're in luck! The purpose of this challenge is to see what you do with the rest of the story when the first sentence is provided. Use the sentence given as the first line of your story and see where it takes you from there.

First sentence:
A white glove lay on the ground, now almost completely covered in dirt.

It's time this exercise got some love! Thank you for continuing to offer the opportunity. (Sorry my time is so limited on the site this year; all in one-shot, limited proofing!)

# # #

A white glove lay on the ground, now almost completely covered in dirt. Nearby, a young woman, pale and trembling, faced an elegant, fair-haired man who looked completely affronted.

"Really, Miss Swanhaven," he drawled, as he stooped gracefully to gingerly pick up his abused article of clothing between two fingers, "your behavior is extremely unacceptable. My poor valet will have an apoplexy. I do wonder if you and I are suited after all."

Some small secret part of him that he didn't really care to examine at length, smirked, as he uttered those words. He well knew what a panic they would set her in because Eleanora Swanhaven was completely smitten with him and had been ever since their first meeting, two years ago at Lady Carstle's garden party.

As a rule, Lord Avilston avoided sweet, earnest young maidens, as, invariably, they were a terrible bore (and a greater nuisance as they strove to secure his favor, since he was handsome, rich, titled, and most importantly, yet unwed). Without rancor, he simply abhorred their tiresome company.

But, Nora… There had been something about Eleanora Swanhaven that pulled at him like a kite string; a fragile tension between them that caused his lips to curve in amusement at the sheer novelty of it. Or so he supposed. He had never quite put his finger on the attraction.

She was lovely in a subdued, modest kind of way, which he had decided was utterly boring. She might as well wear a placard around her neck announcing "Virginal Maiden." True, she had velvety skin; a body that was slender and sweetly curved, yet elegant of carriage; was fashionably and suitably dressed (but sadly without flair); possessed a shining waterfall of wheat-colored hair; a voice pleasingly low and sultry; and she was surprisingly lithe and athletic for a young lady of her class. And when she laughed, she really laughed! Not squeaking or tittering shrilly, covering her mouth as if, for all the world, laughing was an obscenity.

Lastly, she didn't put on dieaway airs and graces. He had liked that.

But he hated her eyes—those green-gray eyes that slanted slightly upwards like a cat. Oh, the color was fine, he supposed, though nothing outstanding. And they did reflect a certain intelligence. Perhaps too much so. He'd never been attracted to bluestockings. And yet, despite her native intelligence, the overall effect was one of innocence, bordering on stupidity, he thought to himself. Repulsive.

She had no idea how the world got along. Of the cruelty, vice, and treachery that ran along its seams like bubbling poison. Bloody hell! And he had gotten engaged to such a dimwit yesterday afternoon in a moment of insanity. Somehow, she had so hypnotized him that he actually believed he felt overjoyed at her acceptance, at her soft kiss.

Thank God that his ex-mistress (a rich socialite, just short of notorious for her affairs) had spitefully flaunted one of his monogrammed gloves in front of Nora when making a social call on her this morning.

Affecting a pose of complete nonchalance, Lord Avilston darted a glance at his fiancée's anguished face and quickly looked away again. There was no doubt in his mind that Nora had been pushed to the brink and was about to give him his congé, despite her feelings for him. He was delighted. Yes, absolutely. Freedom couldn't come soon enough! He would have felt wonderful, except for the wretched nuncheon he had just consumed.

The roast beef had been off--he had suspected as much--damn that highway robber of an innkeeper!

• Love
  • Nice Execution!
Reactions: PoetLore and Kitti
A white glove lay on the ground, now almost completely covered in dirt. Ginny's lip stuck out and tears welled in her eyes as she looked at it lying there filthy in the puddle of mud.

Joey, the mean boy from down the street, saw her tears and ran over to add insult to injury by stomping his foot on it and twisting to further soil the beautiful silken glove.

"Nooo.!!!!!" she cried and ran at him to push him away but he held her easily with one hand. Realizing he was far too strong she gave up and looked at her glove, head lowered and lip trembling.

"Ha..." he said triumphantly as he swiveled his foot a bit more.

Bobby heard Ginny shout and had come over to see what was going on. Joey Noonan was at it again. He liked to pick on girls for some reason, and Bobby was a little tired of it. He walked up behind Ginny and looked at Joey with his arms crossed, "What's going on here Joey?" he asked in a deep threatening voice. Joey was big for his age but Bobby was four years older and a lot stronger.

"Oh nothin...I was just going home."

"Good idea....and Joey...don't let me see something like this again. You won't like it if I do." Bobby's eyes were narrowed and his tone of voice icy and threatening, though it was all a bluff. Bobby wasn't given to fighting, but he wasn't above using his size to stop someone else from doing it. Once Joey was gone he crouched down and peeked up at Ginny. "Hey Ginny...you ok now?"

Her little lip quivering and those big tears in her eyes broke his young heart. He looked at the mud and saw her glove and frowned, "I'm sorry Ginny, let me get that out of the mud for you." He reached over and picked it up and even scraped as much of the mud off it as he could before he handed it to her.

She took it and then looked at him with the biggest blue eyes he'd ever seen and then she smiled. he was pretty sure that was the moment he fell in love with her, even though he wouldn't ever ask her out for ten more years when it was time to go to senior prom. She wore white gloves then and on the day they married. On their honeymoon night she presented him with that white glove which was embroidered with two words, my hero.

A white glove lay on the ground, now almost completely covered in dirt. Tomo knelt down to inspect it, sighing hard out of his nose.

She was wearing this in the playback, he thought, immediately conjuring a memory that was not his own, a white-gloved hand turning a wristwatch to better see the time. It sometimes disturbed him how clear other people's "memories" were compared to his own, the ones he saw through the Interpreter always coming out crisp, almost clinical in comparison to his emotionally heavy, fuzzy recollections of his own life.

Tomo looked up and waved over the other techs sweeping the area.

"I found a glove! She was wearing this in her last recording," Tomo said, standing up straight as his partner, Officer Carter, jogged over to take a look. The techs were already taking pictures of the glove, putting down a ruler for scale, while Tomo looked around the less-than-crowded park on the edge of Ridge Heights' city limits. There was a lot of ground to cover, but this was a fortuitous find - more in the sense it meant there was evidence, than proof that the vic was alive.

"This isn't where the last recording was, though," Carter said, huffing a little.

"That last donut getting to you?" Tomo joked flatly, and Carter gave him a long-suffering stare.

"Come on, Toto, seriously. I'm running every morning, and I'm passing PT. Now - this isn't the last blackbox reel location," Carter said, shoving his hands into his pocket as the cool fall air stole the heat away from his extremities.

"No, no it wasn't. The last place she was at was someone's apartment, and she... got frisky. Took a shower, got dressed - then boom, a pain in the back of the head, and nothing after," Tomo relayed.

"So if her glove is here --"

"Her blackbox was removed while she was out."

They both knew what that probably meant. Removing one was not an easy task, not when there were a ton of ligaments and spinal tissue to dig through. If the girl was alive, by some miracle, she would probably never move again.

"This doesn't fit any profile I've ever seen," Carter sighed. "Most don't just have sex and take 'em out after."

"We always get the live ones," Tomo admitted with some dark humor.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Kitti