I'll take it from here #2

K

Kitti

The first sentence of a story can reel in the reader as they wonder what it means, what will happen next, or how it will tie in to the rest of the story. It can also be one of the hardest lines to write because it all begins with that first sentence.

Well, you're in luck! The purpose of this challenge is to see what you do with the rest of the story when the first sentence is provided. Use the sentence given as the first line of your story and see where it takes you from there.

First sentence:
The electric energy of the city reminds some that they are alive; others that they are inexorably alone.

The electric energy of the city reminds some that they are alive; others that they are inexorably alone. As for Nora, it was a little bit of both, truth be told.

She had been on the run since she was sixteen, weaving her way through the world invisibly, not wishing to be noticed by anyone, but most of all by the one man she had fallen in love with. Even five years later he visited her in her nightmares, sweet and charming with his messy brown hair, his crooked smiled, his beautiful green eyes... that always shifted to a blood red before ripping into her parents and killing them on the spot.

Nora shuddered as she sat on a covered bench at a bus stop, watching the snow slowly begin to fall, the first of the season. It was only November, but in a place like Montreal there was always a little dusting of snow before the Christmas season came in full swing. She was sure that in two days time it would melt, leaving behind ugly brown grass and wet leaves. Even so, it brought forth a cold that she still had not gotten used to.

Bringing her hands to her mouth, she blew on them, the hot air from her mouth warming her cold, pale hands immediately before cooling down yet again. In some way, it reminded her of that man... Justin, she reminded herself. He had made her feel such warmth, both emotionally and physically... and then one day all of that warmth had been lost, replaced by cold loneliness, memories that haunted her, the faces of her parents and his face...

The sound of footsteps caused her to jerk. She pulled her ragged jacket's hood over her head and stood up, ready to leave. No good ever came from being enclosed in a small place with someone else...

(to be continued tomorrow ^_^)

Last edited:
  • Nice Execution!
  • Love
Reactions: PoetLore and Kitti
The electric energy of the city reminds some that they are alive; others that they are inexorably alone.

Tonight Anders stood atop the tallest building left and looked out in every direction, making a small pivotal circle from his rooftop position. There was nothing but blackness for as far as his eyes could see. Lowering himself to a sitting position he frowned. he'd thought surely by now another city would have recovered and appeared on the horizon at least, giving the hope that someone else besides the few here were still alive. But it had been a month and still nothing appeared.

Lost in his thoughts he did not hear Syl approach. She sat next to him and he was startled from his reverie. "Syl...you are going to give me a heart attack one day sneaking up on me like that."

"Not my fault you go into your head so deep your ears turn off..."

He cast her a baleful look and nudged her shoulder. "Still nothing."

"We cannot be the only ones. Soon we will have the receiver rebuilt and the transmitters functioning and we will be able to find others. You will see. No losing hope."

"As long as we are alive there's hope, Syl."

She patted his leg and stood, "When you believe that my work here will be done. Keep saying it out loud. Eventually you will believe it." Bending down she whispered, "It IS true...life is hope."