I'll Show You My World

"Wait! Hey, halt!" The Shade yells after her, not realizing how demanding he may have sounded. He knows a limp when he witnesses one and hers is serious. "You shouldn't be waking on that foot of yours, citizen," he cautiously adds, rocketing up into the sky, a trail of purple lightening following him. Before she knows it, he lands a few feet ahead of her, his arms there to catch her if she falls. The helmet glints in the streetlight, showing no indication of a smile nor any features. The glass simply removes him from reality, the reflection becoming of her own face within the purple crystal. "A-..." he almost feeds her back her name, a spot of worry in his voice. But with a quick clearing of his throat, The Shade re-evaluates what needs to be said and clears his throat, "And I offer my services to you, citizen. Please, allow me to take you wherever you would like to go."

Lifting himself off of the pavement, he hovers for a moment, the lightening crackling and hissing at his side. Luckily for them, it's late at night and there are hardly any witnesses to these events. Those who quickly point and start to shout that "It's the Purple Shade!" When they start to run towards him, he groans a little. He has lain in the bed he has been made. The Purple Shade could have just kept his powers a secret yet he spends his nights crime fighting in the streets of their city.

"You have little time to answer before we're both mauled. I can take you to a hospital and you can get that properly checked out. What is your answer?" He extends his hand, an unseen smirk upon his face, "Haven't you ever wanted to fly?"

Anna almost tripped as he landed in front of her, "Hey!" she exclaimed taking a few steps back, on the last step pain shot through her ankle and up her calf. In the rush to leave she hadn't noticed what was wrong. Was is a sprain? A fracture? It was too early to tell but it was starting to smart. "I-I'm fine.. Just let me-" The cries of excitement from close by pedestrians cut through her words, a scowl beginning to form on her face. "Ugh.." she never liked the hype that followed this Shade guy. Every headline was The Shade did this, and The Shade did that. The girls would swoon and gasps over how fit her looked and blah blah blah. She was never quiet sure with why she didn't like him, she never knew the guy, but now he's here in front of her and she still didn't know what to think.

"No, I haven't." she replied flatly to his question, limping around him with a soft wince, "Go great your fans..." mumbling as she continued down the street and turned the corner. Just a few more steps and I'm home... she thought to herself, eagerly digging in her purse for her jingling keys.

The Purple Shade stares blankly at the sidewalk where Anna used to stand. His brows knit in the center and he can't help but scoff a little in bewilderment to what actually just happened. Did his secretary just nearly get killed by a gang, be saved by The Shade himself and now is declining his services of transportation? She could have flown for heavens sake! What girl in her right mind wouldn't take him up on the offer? They normally come to him like a bee does honeycomb but this girl, this Anna, is different. Sure, she will practically be all over him at work but... what's so different now? The Shade turns around just as she limps around the corner, his arm coming up to stop her but all that is left is the flitting movement of her red hair. He scowls.

What's so different? He ponders internally, immediately being mauled by the growing crowed of pedestrians. "Not tonight," he tells them, lifting himself from the ground, flicking himself away from their greedy fingers. They'll pull and pull at him, girls squealing no matter how late at night it might be. Never once has he declined such chances at fame, autographs, and such but tonight, oh tonight, Anna will be on his mind. Even late into the night, he sits upon the scaffolding to a reconstruction project, simply looking out upon his city and pondering why this flirtatious girl didn't jump at his opportunity. He could have at least gotten to know her that way even if at work he has to keep his eyes on the files and head from drifting into the clouds. In the morning, he will take his usual running loop along the pier and hopefully, not be called to any other business. For the night is quiet, the radio installed to his helmet not giving him any emergencies at all.

When Anna got inside she slammed the door shut and locked the door, her back pressed against the door and slid down to the floor. Taking in a deep breath she began to sob, a hand cupping over her mouth to muffling the crying, her shoulders heaving with each sob as she took in everything that just happened. She could have been hurt even worse, sexually assaulted, killed, but she was saved. Yes, she was thankful for The Shade saving her, god knows no one else would have, but she still didn't want to process what happened.

After a few minutes of letting her emotions go she took another deep breath, closing her eyes to gather her thoughts, and pushed herself up off the floor. Limping to the bathroom she cleaned herself up, wincing as she wiped the dirt from the scrape of her cheek and one on her knee. Once she was done showering and wrapping her ankle she laid in bed, looking at the empty spot next to her wishing she could find comfort in someone's arms.

The next morning Anna came into work, trying her best to hide her limp, black flats and pants with a white blouse. Her hair was pulled up in a bun and dark sunglasses covered her face. "Morning..." she said half heartedly as she nudged her way into Nick's office and placed a coffee on his desk. Before she stepped out she paused in the doorway, "Hey, Boss, don't forget you have a meeting at ten."

"Thank you, Ms. Maleto," Nicholas smiles up to her, noting the sunglasses but just figuring its because of the glare of the rising sun. "Also before you go," he motions her back to his desk, pulling out the painkillers, "I have bought a new bottle over the weekend and forgot I had these in the desk already. Do you mind taking these off of my hands?" He shakes them before her, placing them at the edge of the desk. "Take them if you like," with that he motions her away, knowing she will take them and use them.

"Thank you for reminding me about the meeting, Ms. Maleto," he straightens his purple tie, adjusting the shoulder of his jacket, "I would have forgotten if it weren't for you. Actually, take a seat, will you," getting up from his chair, Nicholas buttons up the golden buttons before leaning on the edge of his desk, motioning for her to sit down in one of the two seats waiting for her.

"Anna," he asks, the door closing behind her. He waits until they're sitting acros one another, "I would like to apologize for my earlier actions towards you. You are correct. If we are going to make this work, we should be friends. In private, I will be less..." He squints for a moment, chuckling a little, "less of an ass. Agreed?"

Tilting her head to the side she thought about it for a second, normally she wouldn't but her ankle was starting to hurt from the walk into work. Looking between the bottle and Nick she walked over and snatched the bottle of his desk before attempting an exist again only to be called back. With a sigh she turned on a heel and walked back to sit down.

Crossing one leg over the other, her foot bouncing in inpatients, pushing her sunglasses up to look him in the eye, her own a bit red from little sleep. "Yeah.." whenever she attempted to read his thoughts it sounded like a thousand voices at once. Groaning she pinched the bridge of her nose behind pushing her sunglasses back down. "Look I could care less at this point, just be... as you put, 'less of an ass.'." fingers making quotation marks in the air. "I'll keep off your back from now on, I pasted a line yesterday."

She wasn't in the mood to have this conversation right now, made after a cup of coffee, but not now. "Look I have a lot a work to do..." standing back up she tucked the bottle into her pocket and made her way out. "I still need to finish up some documents and faxes and blah blah blah."

"I'm not saying that at all, Ms. Maleto. You should not have to put on a false persona just to do what you think pleases me. Your forwardness might have been a shock to say the least but I'm sure to ..." he waves his hand in the air, trying to come up with the word that is stuck on the tip of his tongue, "adapt to you as you will adapt to me," tapping the desk with three fingers, he nods mainly to himself, his thoughts flickering to the desire to tell her something, an unspecific thought, but they soon quickly change back to work related genres. The meeting at ten will have to be underneath the stack of papers on his desk, Nick internally sighing at the amount of work he has to work with now.

"Well, hopefully this professional relationship of ours will get over the necessary bumps. I have not had a lot of secretaries stay for as long as you have. It is quite annoying, honesty. I..." he shakes his head, mumbling a little to himself before realizing that Anna is hardly listening to him. He assumes, from the professional standpoint that the sunglasses and irritation are just from a night of heavy drinking. He considers asking her about it but quickly shuts it, knowing how unprofessional it is, "If you need to speak about anything, Ms. Maleto," he suggests, "my door is always open. Now be off with you and all the work you must do. Thank you and I'll see you at the ten o' clock meeting."

Nodding, he motions for her to leave his office as he takes off his jacket. Turning back around to his desk, his muscles flex, the curves of his chest, for a quick moment, greeting her eyes. But as soon as he is back behind his desk, the shirt puffs back up away from his pecks, leaving them a mystery to onlooking eyes. He starts to go through the files, tickling their tags as he thumbs through them.

Last edited:
She stopped listening before he started talking again, her chin resting into the palm of her hand as she gave absent nods as he spoke, letting her mind wonder about work to do. "Yeah, sounds great. I'll get to those files right away." she mutters pushing herself up and making her way back out. Today she just wanted to bury herself into her work, last night was still weighing on her mind and she just wanted to forget it.

Anna sat at her desk flipping through files, typing at her computer every so often, until a few men walked into the room. Quickly she removed her sunglasses and gave the gentlemen a fake smile. "Good morning! I'll let you in." getting up from her spot she grabbed pen and paper behind giving a knock to Nick's office door, "Mr. Miller. You're ten o'clock meeting is here." she rang opening the door and letting them inside. Closing the door behind her as she entered last. "Mr. Miller, this is Mr. Gorgiou and Mr. Flint."

"Mr. Gorgiou, Mr. Flint. It's a pleasure to meet you once again. As discussed last time, with a few faults here and there from my old secretary, I don't mean to keep you all day. Let's make this as clean as possible, hm?" with a smile, Nicholas rolls his chair forward so that everything from his upper abdomen is guarded off by the desk in front of him.

So throughout the meeting, matters are discussed rather well. Nicholas doesn't make a single slip up nor does he forget a single point. His mind, for the meeting, is constantly making connections between the text and what they're saying and adding onto it with his own words. Quickly, the two suited men seem to warm up to him quite well, making Nicholas' tenseness ease up slightly. He always pushes himself too hard when trying to make a deal. It's his sickness. Another deal is sealed, an operation being scheduled accordingly and the money that had been stolen pin pointed on the right accused instead of the innocent.

Nicholas stands, adjuring the meeting. With two more handshakes, the two men walk away with smiles on their faces. As Nicholas always does after a meeting, he moves over to the bookshelf and opens the cabinet below. Bending down, he takes out a single square glass and pours himself a drink. Wiping the sweat from his brow, he fixes his hair in the reflection of an aluminum cross beam of the bookshelf before turning around. "Would you like one?" he asks, clinking his glass with the bottle, "They say you're an alcoholic if you drink alone. I just don't let it get in the way of my work," joking, Nicholas winks before downing a large dab of amber liquid. It calms him down, the worries fluttering around his head slowing but not stopping.

During the meeting Anna kept quick tabs on the what was said, jotting down notes and words said on her notepad. Her eyes would flick between the three as they spoke of money and other deals to be made, thoughts quickly fluttering about and she couldn't help but glare as the men left the room. Nibbling her bottom lip as she stood she couldn't help but think something was up, her thoughts pulled back to reality once Nick offered her a drink, "Hu? Oh no... I don't drink with co-workers." she stated waving a hand in the air as if to erase his question.

Turning towards him and giving a serious look she sighed, "If I may... I don't think you should have made that deal, at least not for that much. I think they have something else planned for the money. We should probably look over the files again." she was started to sound as if she was the boss instead of him, realizing this her eyes went wide, "I'm sorry! I meant if you wanted to... They just... Seemed shifty.."

Pouring himself another drink, Nicholas places the cork in the bottle and replaces it in the safety of the chilled blackness of the cabinet. "Well, what has been done has been done. But here, sit down on the couch and we'll look over them together. Your idea, right?" Smiling, Nicholas sits down on one of the two small two person couches facing one another in the center of the room, "It's a great idea, Anna, I am open to your suggestions." The glass table rests as a barrier between them for now, unless Anna sits next to him.

"I know it was a bit much and I too had questions upon that very same factor," Nicholas loosens his tie, his jacket now laying on the back of the couch, "but I thought it was better to make the deal so that we gain their asset. I figured that we won't be taking any losses, correct?" Nicholas starts, spreading the file wide, looking over every detail again. Mid way through their conversation, their fingers touch, Nicholas feeling the jolt of energy zap right up his arm. His breath catches itself, but he recovers quickly. Chuckling a little, he reaches over Anna's hand to grab the paper and place it in front of them both.

Perhaps it's too late to be doing this work. Mid way though their speech, he starts to unbutton the cuff of his shirt but stops when he sees a bolt of purple zing across his skin. It's like it did before when their fingers touched but Nicholas notes that its stronger now. It had to be too fast for Anna to catch it. Dammit. He thinks to himself, re-buttoning his cuff immediately, giving up on rolling up his sleeves tonight. There is something about Anna's presence that makes him, his power, on edge.

Nicholas clears his throat and continues talking. When they finish, Nicholas gathers his things and holds open the door for Anna as they both walk out together, his bag in his hand and helmet underneath his arm. They have a plan and that's all that is important.

"Anna," he asks, pushing the elevator button with his elbow to send him to the parking garage underneath the building, "I don't like those two either, let's just keep an eye on them and their work from now on," with a lighter tone, he smiles, "Are you sure you don't want a ride home?" he lifts up the helmet, offering it to Anna if she decides its what she wants, "It's not safe to walk alone at this hour of the night."

Last edited:
Anna sat down on the opposing couch, looking and flipping through files and folders. As she went to grab for a new folder their hands grazed each other and she just gave him a half smile, at this point she was ready to go home and take a hot bath.

She was more than happy when they had finished, quickly gathers up the files and placing them neatly on his desk. Picking up her purse and sunglasses she met him at the elevator and stood there quietly until he began to talk. At his offer of a ride she shook her head, "No, I can-" her sentence cut off when those men's faces came back into her mind, "Uh yeah." She replied snatching the helmet from his hand and hugging it to her chest as if the helmet was going to protect her from the evil on the streets.

As they existed the building she stayed close behind, once at the bike she let her hair down. The red waves resting on her shoulders, "So.. Just hop on?" she asks placing the helmet on and straddling the seat. Her arms hesitantly hooking around his middle tightly, "Um... Okay, don't go too fast..."

motorcycle3.jpg

Nicholas can't help but smile when Anna grabs the helmet from his hands. Raising a brow, he silently questions her actions as he know he would if he hadn't known -why- she does such a thing. It's true that being out this late leaves her subject to muggings and beatings of all sorts. Setting his duffel bag in the side bag of his crimson motorcycle, Nick, only having one leather jacket with him, throws it on Anna's shoulders. It will, he knows, make her feel safer. Now that her hair is left down, Nicholas' words catch in his throat. He wants to compliment her on such red locks but he knows it would be... unwise as her boss to do so. Swinging his leg over the bike, he starts her and the entire engine roars to life, Nicholas pulling the throttle back gently to make sure she doesn't fail him. Looking back at Anna he smiles gently before tucking his tie into between his shirt buttons.

"Ready?" he asks, guiding her hands around his stomach, her fingers locking around him on their own accord. Before they set off though, his stomach growls and he groans a little. "Would you like to eat as well? I didn't realize how hungry I truly am. Didn't eat dinner because we were looking over those files so thoroughly. What do you say to a quick bite somewhere local before dropping you home? I hear there is a new mexican restaurant that is surprisingly good. And if not, just yell in my ear where to go to get to your house. Tell me a district and we'll take it from there," Nicholas asks her calmly, not minding if she says no. He'll start them down the streets of the city either way.

Last edited:
Anna's arms tightened around his waist, her chest pressing into his back, "Y-Yeah. I could go for something to eat." she replied peaking over his shoulder to see where they were going. The truth was that she didn't want to be home yet, even alone, so staying out a bit longer and having dinner with her boss was the better deal. Her stomach growled along with the motorcycle's engine, realizing how hungry she truly was the idea of going out for dinner was becoming a great thought.

"I actually don't live far from here but.. Food sounds like a better option." she yelled over the roar of his wheels on the road, the cars buzzing by causing her to press closer into his back. Fingers curling into the fabric of his shirt and pressing into his abs, "Not too fast, please!" she didn't know how fast they were going, he could have been going ten miles an hour and she would still be doing the same thing. "Sorry... I've never been on a motorcycle before... Its terrifying."

Nicholas considers that the closest eatery, not just a fatty chain like McDonalds, will be their best option. But as they roar down the streets, her boss sure to keep a careful eye on his speed, he finds that most of the restaurants he had in mind are now closing up for the night. "We might have to ride for a little bit," he shouts back at her, his chest tightening unknowingly to her trembling fingers, "And don't worry. You won't be going anywhere. It's perfectly safe as long as you drive with me." If she could have seen his smile, she would have known that they would make it through this small inch of road. Nicholas has taken road trips before with his baby here so a little detour in the city is nothing compared to the stretching miles of open SouthWest.

"Anna," Nicholas pulls into a parking spot, shutting the engine off but still finding her warm arms wrapped around his waist, "You can let go now, we're here. Welcome to the Moondance Diner. Home of the finest sweet potato fries you can get your hands on," once Anna lets him go, he pockets his keys and leads her through the shiny double doors to the inside of a bullet shaped train car. It's a classic diner, swivel stools lining the bar and olive green booths along with granite tables in the back. "Oh," he adds, pulling open the door so that Anna can step in, "and not to mention they have a mean milkshake too. I would highly recommend it."

Seeing that Anna still has his helmet on, Nicholas stops her from walking any further, "Come here," he asks politely, moving around her so that he can face her eyes and take his black helmet from her head, "There," Nicholas nods resolutely, tucking it underneath his arm, "now you can breathe and see the world --"

"Table for two?" The hostess asks, marking down a small laminated map of the table sections before bringing the two of them to a small booth in the right hand corner of the diner. Nicholas nods, "Yes, Jackie, two is fine," his voice is softer than at work, the deepness not as rumbling as it usual is. Nicholas turns and lets Anna follow the high heeled hostess. Business seems usual and first names are used and smiles exchanged genuinely. They pass a table and a girl, a man having his arm around her, waves to Nicholas, causing the butch looking man to nod his head at him as well. "Good to see you again," Nick breathes smiling and giving a solid salute before settling down in the quietness of the diner.

Anna was very hesitant to let go once the ride came to a stop, upon his words she let go and stepped off the bike with a bit of a stumble but quickly regained her composure as Nick began walking. When he stopped she wasn't sure why until he took the helmet off of her, "Oh..." was all she muttered as a blush pinked her cheeks.

She followed close behind as they entered the building and couldn't help but give him a very confused look by all of the people saying their greetings to him, "You're very popular. Do you eat here often?" she questioned, very surprised by this. He didn't seem like the type of guy to come out and be friendly with strangers, then again people can be different from work. "Or just a mind reader?"

"If I had one superpower," Nicholas starts, tapping his finger to his chin, "I would have to say that mind reading would be pretty interesting. Well, as far as it goes. I wouldn't," the waitress places two menus in front of them, Nicholas smiling at her, "thanks Jackie. You know I'll be having the usual but come back in a few minutes once Anna here has decided what she would like," he folds his hands over the plastic covering of his own menu, watching as Anna opens up hers and starts to glaze over the choices there, "but, anyway," the waitress moves away from them to fill a trucker's cup full to the brim with the mediocre coffee they serve, "what were we talking about?"

A moment passes, Nicholas' face twisting in thought until the light bulb turns on and he snaps his fingers, "Ah, yes!" his persona has changed, there is no doubt about that. Even though he has his suit jacket on, accompanied by a tie and collared shirt, he isn't in his boss state of mind. The man even has a speck of playfulness in his tone as his eyes bounce around the inn, fingers linked together before him once again, "I wouldn't call myself a very popular guy, just a friendly one. I know faces and names but beyond that, I manage to scramble them all up," he leans back, trying to act as casual as he can, a pricking starting in his fingertips, "but, anyway, I am no mind reader, although that would be quite a blessing and a curse. Perhaps I would go back into law and put the real criminals behind bars every single time without fault."

Anna tilts her head a bit confused, he really was a totally different person. Slowly she lifted the plastic covered menu to cover her face as she looked over the options, she kept quiet while he talked. Placing the menu back down and resting her chin into the palm of her hand, "It would probably just give you headaches." she mumbled tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Always hearing what people are thinking... Would you rather have a different one? Usually people pick flying."

Sitting back up she smiled as the waiter, "I'd like a water and um... Whatever he's having." Handed waiter her menu and leaned back into her seat and sighs with a rub of her eye, "Can I ask you something?" she maybe paused for half a second before continuing without giving him a chance to answer. "Why are you two different people? You can be the same guy at work and here."

"You sound like you speak from experience," Nicholas chuckles, bringing the cup of water to his lips and smiling gently before taking a sip. The water immediately makes its presence in his throat, dripping down all the way to his stomach in a long, cold, trail. "But, of course, mind reading is impossible. It's never likely to know what someone is truly thinking. We have millions of thoughts per day, small ones that are insignificant and others that are, well, quite in depth," Nick opens his mouth to speak more but the waitress comes back, plucking the small notepad from her apron.

"Nick!" Comes an almost vibrato voice from the waitress, her delight evident in her radiating smile, "Good to see you again, having the usual I presume?" Nicholas nods, his mouth full of water. Warm blue eyes turn to Anna, the smile on her face nearly cracking the sides of her mouth, "Hello dear, I'm Melody and I'll be your server tonight," she tells Anna while taking Nicholas' menu from him. She is far older than the two of them, graying white hairs popping from her temple and a ponytail filled with age and wisdom curled up in the back of her skull. Scribbling down their orders on the blank page of her little book, Nicholas takes the time to speak.

"Could you be a doll?" he asks, addressing Melody but looking towards Anna, "What is your favorite ice cream flavor out of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry?" Once her answer comes, Nicholas pushes back the hair before speaking once more, "We'll be having milkshakes," his hand comes out in front of him to stop Anna from telling him he doesn't have to, "as well, thanks hon," with a smile, Melody collects the menus but before she walks away, Nicholas asks her a serious of questions such as: how is your grandson, how has work been, and is your husband well. Just casual conversation pieces and the two quickly nod and Melody departs to place their order.

"You don't even know what I'm having!" Nicholas exclaims, not in an angry tone but one of pure curiosity, "I could be having cowshit for all you know," comes his small joke, half a chuckle dropping from his mouth. "Well, anyway, you asked me a question," Nicholas drums his fingers upon the shiny counter top, keeping his focus upon Anna, "and so I must answer. As I have stated before. There is a time and a place to be Nicholas. I am your boss, yes, but we aren't in the office, are we? That means I can be who I want to be. I don't have to put on my," he quotes his words coming next, "Mr. Boss man, anymore. There is such a thing as being professional and I abide by that conduct while in the workplace."

Mind reading is impossible? she thought to herself, really wanting to saying something about it but thought better. She took a sip of her water and just shook her head placing the glass back down. Anna was startled by the sudden shriek of Nick's name, the woman a bit too bubbly for Anna's liking, she wasn't used to it, usually just going to quiet bars or staying at home. She stayed quiet as the two talked and then at the mention of milkshakes she knew what he was up to.

Her lips parted to say no but he stopped her, a deep scowl forming on her face, burning a death glare into Nick's forehead. "You know that's rude." she stated blocking out whatever it was he said about work once the waitress was out of hearing range. "You shouldn't order for people, and I didn't want a milkshake." Anna's tone was calm and smooth but was serious, "Women don't like that." Taking another drink, at this point wishing it was something alcoholic, and swallowed. "It does seem sweet but ladies will take it the wrong way."