If you could know when you would die...

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rainjay

Original poster
Would you want to know how much longer you have in life before your death?

What would you do if you did?

--

This would be a roleplay where the characters are all born into a modern fantasy-esque world where upon birth, a timer "tattooed" onto the forearm of the newborn begins to count down to the time of their death. The timer can change- one day, you may wake with an estimated seventy years, and then when you climb onto a plane to travel across the country, everybody in the cabin might note that their clock suddenly reads twenty minutes. Or, it may read ten minutes while you're sitting in a car on the road, and after the driver suddenly pulls over to the curb, it returns to reading sixty years.

Of course, this could have several benefits- you have a chance to avert your death, to discover an unknown illness you didn't know you had, to say your goodbyes before you're gone- forever.

But it of course comes with horrific downfalls.

As a twist, however, on your opposite forearm is another, similar clock- only this one counts down to the day you will inevitably meet your soul mate. The love of your life. The person of your dreams. This clock also changes, but holds just as true as the 'death clock' does. This clock could only mean happiness, but of course, there's always the chance it will suddenly tick down to zero.

--

So that's the basic idea. It would otherwise be a sandbox roleplay, situated in a large city where all the characters reside. When it comes to plotting, we'll probably have to think up a desirable way for all the characters to link together, be that through college/university, jobs, apartment building, etc. but there won't be any outside plot or major disaster to attend to- yet, anyway. The idea is an open world, but your characters lives are heavily directed by those numbers on their arms.

All players would need to be 100% accepting of character death, and also of probable romance, considering the soul mate counter. Most characters are going to die, soul mates included. And I'd rather everyone doesn't make a second character just to create their own soul mate.

Post thoughts/comments/stuff below ^^​

• Love
Reactions: 2 people
Sure, why not? At first glance I thought it was that Justin Timberlake movie in a nutshell, but after reading further it does seem to be original and interesting.

• Thank You
Reactions: Rainjay
Cool! I'll work on getting an OOC/Sign ups up ^^

Couldn't a person put tape over their timers so they never have to see them therefore not letting them influence any of their decisions?

They could. But I suppose you'd have to be incredibly strong willed to do that. Curiosity killed the cat. And the tape wouldn't be sticky forever, they'd have to reapply it and stuff.

It's magical tape, it doesn't peel :) But you're right, I to would imagine that it'd take a lot of willpower and resoluteness to do something like that.

I dunno. I personally like surprises.

I know what you mean Spaceman Spiff.

"I'm sorry, but you have cancer... SURPRISE!"

Cool, I've always wanted to know when I would die ^^ Sign me up for this (INACOMPLETELYGOODWAY) mess :D

• Thank You
It'll be open for characters to have the surprise element to their character, for sure ^^

Doesn't sound too good in that context... Pssh. "I've always wanted to know when I would die." xD
Morbid is my middle name~ :D That and curiosity happens to be my last ^^

It'll be open for characters to have the surprise element to their character, for sure ^^
Like both of their clocks counting down to zero at the same time? Would be kind of ironic ;p

Last edited:
Before I put the IC up, are there opinions on setting? I.E are our characters going to be college students, highschool kids, working class adults, etc.?

Anything BUT high school students. I can't stand playing those kids...

Yeah, I second that motion. It's easier for me to play college students or young working adults.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.