If It Isn't Her

Sam fumed. She didn't care that she was an Irvington! She wanted people to treat her normally, as though she were Sam... Carpenter or Hamilton or anything else. It wasn't about her money, her last name. It was about who she was.

Feeling angry, she barely noticed Amber poking her.

"You okay?" she whispered low so Alex didn't have a large chance of overhearing.

Sam, still upset, shook her head. "I just wanna be called Sam. I'm an Irvington, yes, but that's not all I am!" she scowled low. She was too upset to care that she was speaking her thoughts aloud to a stranger. Amber smiled knowingly and backed up, patting Sam on the shoulder.

"Then prove it," she challenged just before the teacher announced they were going to the scene shop.

Alex heard the two girl's low whispers hissing through her ears, it wasn't loud enough for her to figure out what they were talking about but not low enough for her to know that they were whispering. But instead of wasting her time to listen to what they were talking about, she paid her attention to the Professor and took notes of what she had to look out for and what to do at the shop. As soon as they did so, everyone started rising slowly - following the Professor who opened the beside the stage, which presumably is the scene shop.

Alex stood from her seat, glancing at the two girls "If you two are done there, then we can move onto the scene shop...yes?" she acknowleged to them, she held a hand out and pointed at the small bit of stairs beside her "After you...."

Sam gave Alex a sharp look and immediately followed the rest of the class to the scene shop. Amber gave Alex a grin before also following, leaving Alex to wonder what was said.

In the scene shop, Sam stayed back towards the back of the group, remembering what Amber had said and still fearing the idea of power tools.

Along the way, Alex acquainted herself with the portable power drill sitting on a desk. She loved the power drills, it was her bread and butter in set craft - aside from her pen and pencil of course. But the drill helped her greatly when she made set pieces for the play, it was so handy to have. "Well, hello there." she told the object she had in her hands fondly, now with the drill in hand - she looked forward to what kind of set piece they were making.

She turned to Sam who was behind her, showing her the drill "Have you used these before, Irvington?"

Sam looked up when Alex spoke to her. When she registered the question, she ignored the fact that Alex called her by her last name again and shook her head.

"I've never had a need to touch any tools except a small screwdriver for my camera," she explained, looking at the power drill with a scared expression. "Um, would you... show me? I don't want to be a burden for this project..."

Right, she's a rich girl. What does she know?

Alex sighed, was this girl for real? Teaching wasn't quite her expertise but if one is working at with a group - then one must certainly help each other "It's pretty simple logic. You watch action movies, Irvington?" Alex asked, walking towards and grabbed Sam's right wrist with her free hand "Drills are used to make the holes needed to put something together." she raised the drill and showed her the spiral carved on the steel drill bit "This type of drill bit, is specifically used to make holes for screws like the ones you use for the screwdriver."

She raised Sam's wrist and placed the drill on her hand, closing her fingers on it with her own "Now what I said about action movies..." Alex recalled her statement earlier "You hold this kind of drill...sorta like a gun, and the trigger powers the drill. Try it. But make sure you don't drill on someone. Just...make it work." she released her hands from Sam and placed them on her hips, waiting for what she's about to do.

Sam held the power drill awkwardly and pulled the trigger, jumping when it ran and quickly releasing the trigger.

"Um, was that right?" she asked Alex, turning to look at her and feeling a little more confident.

Sorry for a sucky post...

"Yeah." Alex said plainly, taking the drill from her "But try not be jumpy when you use it, you'll get yourself hurt. It's frightening, I know, but what the hell - demons roam this world" she shrugged, settling the drill on the nearby table.

She looked to Amber "What set piece are we doing?"

(it's okay~)

Amber frowned and considered thoughtfully. "I'm not sure. Would you like to design us something? We can build a model based on something you draw!" she said excitedly.

Sam nodded and then caught herself. "If it's okay with you, Alex, I like that idea," she said softly.

Amber nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah! It'd be perfect!"

"You three! The lecture is this way!" the professor announced. She had let them go on their own for a moment because they were still learning power tools, but the professor was starting to lose her other students that needed to learn about tools as well. She wasn't too worried about Alex and Amber, since they had been in the class previously. And they had seemingly taken the Irvington under their wing as well.

"I guess it's alright. But...." Alex said, nodding slightly, and then turned from the professor towards them "What exactly am I going to draw? I need an idea of what this set is for, or else whatever I draw and we model, won't be of any use." Alex wasn't to worried about designing the set, it was exactly like before, but what concerns her...was what.

She turned back to the professor and paid attention to her lecture.

Sam wasn't listening to Alex, trying to focus on the lessons now that she was a little over her fear of power tools.

Amber, on the other hand, had heard Alex. "Just draw whatever, something cool but simple," she answered, bumping Alex like they were old friends.

"Something cool, but simple."

These words echoed in Alex's head, triggering her inspiration and imagination. What could possibly be cool and simple at the same time? She htought about it for a moment - drowning in thought as she ignored the voices around her, and then after a moment she caught a glimpse of Sam. It reminded her that Sam had a camera, she must be some kind of photographer and a photographer's room must have some pictures and art in them. "Irvington." she called out to the woman "I was thinking if we can replicate your room as a set piece."

Sam turned at her last name, though she knew she shouldn't have.

"I was thinking if we can replicate your room as a set piece."

"M-my room?" That meant inviting them over, and dealing with her parents. They'd believe she was making friends, something she had never done since she was a toddler or in early elementary school. Sam gulped, flushed a little. "I suppose... I could handle that. Would... I mean, would tonight work out for you to see it?"

"Wait, we're going to see the inside of the Irvington mansion?" Amber asked incredulously. "I'd love to come today!"

Sam winced, for once wishing it would only be Alex but only because she was afraid of her parents' own incredulousness at seeing her bring two people home.

"I'll have to call to see if it will be all right, of course."

"Yeah, but not only tonight. I may memorize your room visually in one visit - but detail is futile. If we want to make a good project, we have to take a good look more than once." Alex said as her hand grabbed the power drill from the Table and made it work in a random time "So it's settled, you, me and Irvington at her house to take a good look at her room."

(you should find a pic of bedroom for Sam)

Sam flushed, trying to remember if she'd remembered to keep her room clean before leaving to move into the dorm.

"I'll, make a call for a driver later then," she said softly.

"Awesome! This will be so cool!" Amber exclaimed, catching the attention of the professor, who glared their way momentarily.

"Alright." Alex said nodding as the teacher dismissed them for class and everyone started exiting the shop one by one, squeezing themselves through the door. "I'll meet you both at the front." she told the both of them as she fixed her bag strap and disappeared in the moving crowd.

Maybe this Irvington can be a good groupmate after all...

As soon as she was ut the auditorium, she headed for her next class.

Sam was dragged off by Amber, since they had time before their next class. Amber was raving about the opportunity to go into such a luxurious home and Sam had no chance to intervene. It wasn't so much that the house was luxurious as it was a building where her parents raised her.

"And you even have a driver!"

That reminded Sam. "Ah!" she exclaimed, interrupting Amber. "That's right, I need to call someone to come get us! Please excuse me." Sam left Amber's presence and rushed towards the dorm where she left her phone. She would need to hurry if she wanted to do this and make it to her next class on time.

In her dorm, Sam called up her father's number.

"Samantha, how is school?"

"It is good, Father. Ah, I have a group project soon, and my fellow groupmates would like to come by the house to use my bedroom for our project. Would you be all right with that?"

"Of course! How many will there be and will they be joining us for dinner?"

"Two others, and I suppose we might as well plan for them to be."

"All right. I'll be sure to inform the kitchen staff. Do I need to send out a driver?"

"Please do. And..." Sam sighed. She hated that she was going to ask this, but she assumed that Amber would enjoy the experience if she did. "Could you send him in a small limo? Not the large one, because I don't want to be too... outrageous for just three of us. But one of them was raving about-"

"I understand. Please, just tell your friends to be ready for pickup around 3 this afternoon. If they aren't out of class yet then I suppose we'll just wait for them. Have a good day, Samantha."

"Thank you, Father."

That done, Sam raced off to her class.

"Am I too early or too late...?" Alex murmured to herself as she looked at her watch and waited for Sam and Amber, it was after classes and she told them to meet her at the front. Here she was at their rendezvous point, but there was absolutely no sign of any of them.

Damn women...

Sam's class went over by about fifteen minutes, so when she got to the front gates of the campus she wasn't surprised to see Alex and Amber both waiting on her, though she slowed down when she saw them. There was still about fifteen minutes until the car would arrive. Amber seemed to be saying something to annoy Alex.

Finally Sam approached, Amber looking excited and Alex indifferent.

"I'm sorry for being so late," Sam apologized as she got closer. "The car will be here at three. I asked Father to send a small limo, Amber, so that you would enjoy the ride across town."

Alex saw Amber's face light up in excitement upon hearing the word limo, she shook her head - the girl always had a thing about rich people stuff, and the blonde had to admit it was pretty annoying "It's just a small limo, Amber. Don't expect too much." she brushed her off with an irritated look, she looked at her watch - it was quarter to three "As for me, I'll ride whatever as long as I get there."

She looked at Sam "You take photography, right?"