If humans evolved from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys?

Discussion in 'THREAD ARCHIVES' started by Seiji, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DISCLAIMER: Whether or not you believe in evolution, this will NOT be a platform for flame wars or calling differing ideas from yours "stupid". If anything, this will be a civil discussion on the history, conceptualization, and the general theory behind evolution. Or about how cool infographics can be.

• Like Like x 3
    • Thank Thank x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  2. It's worth noting that ANY change of genes counts as evolution. Microevolution, but still evolution.

For example, out of all the humans in the world, only about 2% have natural red hair. There's an equation for figuring out the percentage of the population that carries a gene, but that's advanced genetics for a simple post like this and I won't get into it. Now, let's say there's a terrible plague and everyone in the world dies... except for everyone living in Scotland, where a whopping 13% are naturally redheaded. All of a sudden, the incidence of red hair went up six times. That's evolution.
    Or, for example, a worldwide law is passed that two redheads cannot have a child together. Assuming red hair to be a simple recessive trait (controlled by a single gene), this means that the redhead population will fall by more than fifty percent per generation since their only hope will be to have children with heterozygous individuals. That's evolution too.
    You can actually cause evolution, and if you've ever purposefully bred plants or animals, you probably have. ^^ Evolution isn't some mysterious thing that we can't see happening, it's just that it happens veeeeerrrry sloooooooowwwwlyyyyy, and we usually miss the signs. You don't see grass growing, but you can see that it grew.
  3. Huh. I never thought about that before. It makes a lot more sense, actually. It's funny that hardly anyone's considered that before, because it seems kinda obvious now.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. [​IMG]
    • Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I always assumed this was the case, because it just made more sense. I always love these little bits of information. Really gets the brain going. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Not actually far from the truth. ^^
  7. *started to rage when she saw the title*

*calmed down when she saw her favourite infographic explaining it*

*reminds everyone to be respectful to those who have a different idea of where we came from than you do*

*carries on enjoying the warmest weather since last October*
    • Love Love x 2
  8. ~ @Minibit evolves into Minitetrabite ~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.