ICSYL Scourge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dark Bogan was hit with a one-two punch, with Edward's intrusion into his mind and the twins adding insult to injury. He was no longer in the mood to toy with his victims. Yet he did not worry about his mobility being limited, he had ways around that. If he could get them to come towards him, that would be all he needed.

"Why you little shits!!!! Such attitude!!! Trying to infiltrate my mind and expecting to get away with it alive! Then you little annoying elves attacking ME! Don't you bitches realize you're doing with a Dark Beast?!!! Let me remind you of my power!!!!The power to END the world!!! You have yet to see true horror!!!! You all are wasting time protecting this shit hole of a world!! Sometimes it's better just to let it all FALL DOWN!!!!"
Dark Bogan released a huge dark energy beam towards the shrine.

Lowe quickly created a large earth wall to attempt to block the attack and armor of earth around his body. However it quickly broke through. Lowe had little choice but to jump towards it and intercept it with his own body. He succeeded but the beam wounded him near the chest, burning his skin partially. He felt extreme pain but he held back any screams of pain, he would not give Dark Bogan that pleasure. Carla looked over at Lowe, clearly concerned but she saw he was still able to fight. "You pretentious little pussy!! As if blocking that will get you anywhere when I can just do it again! You and I are no different, Earth Beast! You're a slave to that ass!!! A man should take what he wants in this world with force, not gently or subtly!!! Primal urges cannot be DENIED and must be fulfilled! Romance is a fool's game! Do you really think screwing with a Dark Beast will end well? I can tell you, it won't! She might end up just like me one day if you aren't careful ahahah..Evolution you see. We got the same killing instinct and hers might go wild one day. You surface people are our natural enemies after all." Lowe ignored Dark Bogan's taunt.

Nacim looked over at Sheena as he held his naginata. "NOW!!!!" He released a gust of wind that propelled his naginata straight into Dark Bogan's chest. He had no chance to dodge thanks to the efforts of Edward and the twins. Sheena took Nacim's cue and aimed her halberd for Dark Bogan's head, she hurled it furiously and it impaled his head successfully!

"I--i-impossible..Not this..TIME! Aurghhhhhhhhhhh!" Dark Bogan let out a death cry. Nothing could survive being pierced though the chest and the brain. His eyes shut, his body went limp and his heart stopped beating. The ABC and the OOA had finally triumphed over him it seemed.

Sienna looked nervous but relieved as she asked, "Is...Is it over?? That monster...Is he really gone???" She looked over at Dark Bogan, nervously. Someone would have to check if he was really dead.

It was an awkward moment as the two forces did not have a plan for this. Sienna reluctantly decided to check herself making a hasty move without consulting Sheena,"I...I...will check...I..." She flew over to Dark Bogan's body reluctantly.

Dark Bogan's face lit up and returned to life as he laughed and reached to grab Sienna,"Get over here, you little winged whore!!! You're like the tenth fool to fall for this old trick!!!" Sienna was terrified as she tried to dodge. She failed until the old wind beast hurled her out of the way. However, Dark Bogan was able to grab the old man instead.

"O-o-old man!!! NO! Let him go, let him go you monster!!!Just leave us ALONE!" She created her glaive of wind energy and flew back towards Dark Bogan. Before Sheena, Nacim and others could move in to help, Dark Bogan created a force field of dark energy. It was large enough to trap Sienna, the old man and Dark Bogan inside it. The others tried to destroy the field but it was futile.

He applied dark energy to his claws expanding them and making them razor sharp, "Well young lady..It's your first time now.. Ever seen this before? Probably lived a sheltered life....Yesss..Poor baby, parents got wasted by the bombs. I never saw what it does to a person. I heard all sorts of things...Reduced to ash...Or maybe it peeled off their flesh like fried chicken. Yes..What a sight it must have been, little girl. Now you get to see this...The most painful thing aside from being hit with those bombs..Your first taste of real blood! OF REAL WAR! Because of your mistake..THIS OLD MAN WILL DIE!" He pulled out the weapons stuck inside him and broke them apart, then he brutally ripped off the left wing of the old wind beast. Truly this was the cruelest way to kill a Wind beast.. Sienna reacted, looking disgusted and disturbed. She held back any tears as Dark Bogan brought up such disturbing imagery of how her parents died. Seeing the old man get torn apart disturbed her as well as she covered her own eyes and tried to break free.

The old wind beast cried out in agony. He told Sienna, "Get..Out of here!!! Forget about me..My time here...Is done..."

Tears began to fall from Sienna's eyes as she shouted,"W-w-why???! Old man, please! You don't need to die for me!! I'll..I'll save you!!!!!!!" She readied her glaive as she tried to impale Dark Bogan with it. She did several strikes but Dark Bogan laughed it all off as he continued his attack on the old man, going after the right wing next. She then tried to grab the old man and free him from Dark Bogan's grasp. It was futile as his strength was far superior to hers.

The Beast broke into a fit of laughter and revealed the truth about his motivation, "Well isn't that just touching? Aahaha..This poor old man sacrifices himself for a ditz like you! Why did he do that? You remind him of his dead girls? You see, this is what things like love do to you, little girl. Or maybe stupidity is more accurate, the whole thing could have been avoided. You just don't know who are you are fucking with if you expected me to die so eaaassily. This body is nothing but a vessel, you don't seem to get that!!!! My other half, my light counterpart and my true body..They're what is left in the seal after that my little spawn helped me hehehe. Nailing the daughter of the city leader has its perks after all yess."

"Watch..WATCH HIM SCREAM LITTLE GIRL!!! Suffering is the purest and the most genuine emotion!!!!!!" He ripped off the other wing of the old man painfully. The blood loss was too much as the old wind beast lost consciousness. He then dug his claws into the old man's skull and finished him off. He laughed as he set his sights on Sienna. "Well looks like he has expired...He didn't buy you enough time..you should have ran...But no..Seeing him torn apart...For your sake..You couldn't turn away could you? You're not cut out to be a fighter. You should have looked into other professions, little girl..Things you'd be more useful for...Mmmm. Such a beautiful voice you know.. Heh, not like anyone will miss the old geezer. I don't think you even know his name!!! He was just fodder for me to slaughter...Mmm..And now I seize my prize!!!"

"STOP! JUST STOP IT! Ww-w-hy do you say and do all these horrible things? Why...Why can't you just let us live?! What did we ever do to you??? Just..Stay away from me!!!!" She stabbed his arm with her glaive but he broke it with his other arm easily. He laughed at her as he closed in.

"You take it too personally. It's the way the world is now, little girl. The weak are food for the strong. Destruction reigns over life...The desire for War is stronger than the desire for Peace! All this... is just for fun, good clean fun. I'm not trying to bully a sweet little thing like you. Though if your screams weren't so sickeningly sweet to the ears maybe I'd just gut you! It's like music hearing you cry out in vain! This world is meant to be one of death, it is nothing personal! I hate every last one of you equally, although the men I will kill first.The women and girls I'll take..ALIVE! Now...How badly do you want to live, little wings?? Answer before time is up..."
He readied his claws to threaten her as he implied indecency was what he wanted from her.

Nacim was disgusted by this. Even if it risked his ABC career, he had to save her. He couldn't just watch as that monster had his way with Sienna! He ordered Carla,"I want you to kill that thing! Provide me with everything you can while I get in there and rescue that OOA girl. Intelligence indicates she is a Sheena's niece. If I take her hostage, it will give us the edge. This mission was a loss but we can still come out on top!" Nacim stated, disguising his true motivation easily. His plan disgusted Carla yet she did not question it. Now was not the time, it was either they beat Dark Bogan now or never..No one else delighted in the death he caused. This thing has no business getting involved in the war!

"Understood Commander...I'll charge the next barrage. Get in there first if you can and get her out. Then I'll release it..It should kill him...But keep in mind he is a Dark Beast. A freak among our people. I cannot quite grasp how he survived..."
Carla responded. Nacim wasted no more time. He charged up his wind energy and flew into the sky. He began to build up speed and then applied energy to create a horizontal cyclone, sending him towards the force field at an insane speed!

He crashed through the field and managed to break it. He grabbed Sienna and then quickly flew out. Carla's attack was finally ready. She put her right hand on her eye-patch yet did not remove it or do anything else with it. She got Dark Bogan's head in her sights. She quickly released her energy to create a second rifle that she set up to fire upon him from a separate direction. She finally released her energy from the palm of one hand and the two rifles, causing three gigantic beams of dark energy to head straight for Dark Bogan, one from the left, one from the center and the last one from the right!

The beams ripped and roared through the air as they made their way towards him. They easily collided with him and created an explosion of dark energy where he once stood! The destruction Carla caused could only be surpassed by Dark Bogan himself! Yet it was clear in this one attack she exhausted all of her energy. She had nothing left if Dark Bogan had survived. It was a calculated risk on her part.

In the aftermath. Dark Bogan's body was totally gone. Not a single trace of him left. Yet no one celebrated, they knew it was too soon. They had to seal him away for a reason after all. Carla walked over to where Dark Bogan stood and analyzed it. She could not conclude he was dead. There were no traces of him yet even so. There would have been something if he had died, ashes at least. This disturbed her yet it was clear it at least forced him to retreat somewhere else. Yet how? He was unable to move well. The creature defied many expectations, surviving being impaled through the brain and the chest so escaping an attack was possible for it.

Sienna cried on Nacim's shoulder. "U-u-u-uncle...I don't want to fight anymore. That poor old man died so I could live but I couldn't..I could do nothing for him..I'm so weak...I don't want to let Lady Lucia down b-b-but...I can't do this...I just...can't.." This upset Nacim as it risked revealing his identity yet he could not just force her away from him like that. He quickly flew over to Sheena and handed Sienna over to her.

"Take her and leave! I expect you to press for a truce or a cease-fire with us. Sad child, You do not belong on the battlefield! This is what war is like. It is not glamorous. I suggest you ask your superiors to give her proper training! Now get out of my sight before I change my mind. I rather take you as prisoners but...You aided us in that battle. I cannot discount that. Now GO before the reinforcements get here! Stay safe and watch over her for me, Sheena...Don't let Lucia force her to fight any longer! As for the old timer.. Sorry I could not save him..." Nacim ordered Sheena and Sienna somewhat quietly. He made sure the rest of the ABC did not hear him. Yet despite that, he did not feel safe. He did not allow his true self to show all the way through.

"Shine...I'll do what I can...Thank you. Don't ever feel you are beyond salvation. You are not like that monster at all..You have a good heart just as you always did..You saved Sienna and let her cry on your shoulder despite being our enemy....You risked your position in the ABC and your own life to save her. I will discover the truth behind the purging one day for your sake.. Please, do not lose hope. I will do the right thing for both of us! I'll find some way..." She looked at Nacim longingly, unable to show her affection for him due to the situation.. Nacim looked back at her, perhaps feeling the same way. They parted ways after exchanging one last glance. Sheena took to the skies with Sienna in tow, clinging to her. She looked at Nacim as she tried to dry her eyes. She no longer doubted it, he was definitely her Uncle.

As for the ALF side. The Colonel was long gone. He escaped during the fight with Dark Bogan. He had no intention of staying to fight Dark Bogan with the others. He was out for blood however, to find who in the ALF was responsible. They were the ones responsible for his humiliation and defeat...The reinforcements from Azull could now be seen in the distance.

Finally the mission was over....

"Help has arrived. We managed to survive this encounter but I doubt we have killed it. For now all we can do is move on. We will head to Azull to recover. You all have earned a rest and those of you who need medical attention will be given the best Azull has to offer. Now Lowe, let's get the ship ready to go and we will take everyone there!"
Nacim ordered the unit, devoid of any sense of victory. While it was true they survived, they lost more in the process of defending the shrine than the other factions. Despite that, surviving against Dark Bogan was an accomplishment in itself.

Lowe was wincing in pain as his burn began to really sting. Carla could see the pain on his face and she waked over to him. She helped him make his way towards the airship,"Lowe. Before we take off.. Let me look at that wound...I'll treat it before it gets any worse. You did well protecting the shrine. That thing may not be dead but at least we did not let it become complete."

Lowe responded with only a half smile and a few soft spoken words he could not seem to finish, "Thank you Carla. You know I really think you and I-" He could not finish his sentence as he saw Nacim was urging him to hurry. It ruined the moment for him but Lowe realized now was not the time. Time was of the essence with Noe, Hideki and himself all in bad shape. The others needed to rest after barely surviving that battle.

After they were loaded up and the dead were recovered, all the ABC members were flown to Azull to rest and recover.

*Azull*

Azull was the snowy city in the region. Snowy pine trees could be found all around in the distance. There were beautiful mountains that still stood there to this day. It was one of the only tundras in the world that could support life and thus was a good place to hunt, a favorite of 13's before Dark Bogan killed him there. There were still some monsters lurking yet not as many as the outskirts of Arcadia. None the less, Azull still employed the same barrier technology and emphasize on keeping the gate closed.

The sky near Azull still looked somewhat beautiful, especially at night with the snow still coming down. Sometimes one could even spot the Aurora phenomena at night. These natural lights were considered quite the sight for travelers to see. Right now the sun was setting however, it would be sometime until night set in fully.

The city itself was fortified for defense during the wars. It was far more militaristic than Arcadia, hence it had the necessary weapons to fend off the ALF assault already in place. Weapons like artillery and even some old cannons allowed them to suffer only moderate causalities despite being both outclassed and outnumbered by ALF forces. Bases, forts, barracks, and other structures of that sort were numerous throughout the city. Despite these advantages, the city still had some signs of damage. Crews were working to repair the barrier system and other essential structures destroyed in the attempted siege. Luckily the fighting never reached the residential areas.

It had an arena just like Arcadia except it was less classy, more brutal. It was more of a way of life for the people of Azull instead of being entertainment. Refugees and those who moved from the City of Warriors practically lived in the Arena. Their culture rubbed off on Azull. It was open 24/7 unlike the Arcadian Arena. Even despite the end of the world, it remained open! They felt it was necessary to keep the troops, militia and other fighters ready for any other threats. It also generated some tourism after all.

It was not much of a city for the arts or for intellectuals, scientists, or artists. It was for warriors, fighters and mercenaries! Your value in this city was determined by your strength. It was no place for the weak. Politicians weren't well liked in Azull. The city's government collapsed in a scandal after the war, hording food and supplies was their crime. Zigus stepped in and offered to take control of the government. The people accepted him and trusted him, having been long time allies with Arcadia. Azull became a territory under Zigus's control. They liked how Zigus's government did not intrude upon them as much as previous administrations.

The Azull Market was also quite well known and one of the biggest parts of the city. There you could buy almost everything that was left in the world. Food, medicine, relics, scrolls, books, and of course, weapons! Merchants of all kind set up shop there on every corner. Most of the goods were legal but there was a shady side to it as well. Yet the government mostly kept that in check, if illegal activity was done, it involved stolen products from the ALF. They turned a blind eye to such activity. It was usually bustling but closed up in the night. Only a few essential or shady stores remained open overnight.

The only technological achievements the city were a radio tower that was dwarfed by Arcadia's, an airport that was old and rather run down but still functional. Anyu Hospital was the most vital place for those interested in non combat related professions. The hospital was a necessity due to all the fights held in the arena. All of those wounded in the fight with Dark Bogan and the ALF would go there for treatment. It had some of the most up to date medical technology, the best doctors, healers and even expert light and ice beast healers for those whom needed fast treatment.

Lastly there were several pubs and taverns to go along with the Arena. There was even one single cafe for the more classy and upper-class. The people could not spend all their time fighting after all. Places were weary warriors could quench their thirst, socialize and share stories of the world. People couldn't live Azull too often so these places were quite lively. They were the most calm of all places, bar fights weren't all that common. The strongest fighters whom went to them would often play the role of peace-keeper after all. Azull was a proud city and they intended to keep it that way.

And now they were here at last. This was her home, Azull...a city of warriors. It was no place for the weak...That's why she left in the first place...She was away from the previous battle, but her condition hadn't improved in the slightest. If anything, it was now worse. She was breaking into a sweat, despite the lack of heat in this region. It was generally chilly here, filled with snow and ice as far as the eye could see. It was a place to train the muscles, the mind, the body, and the spirit...All of which she lacked. It was now time for them to leave into the city. From what she was told on the ride, she would be escorted to her home...rather...what used to be her home. She had no place there anymore. Not after what she pulled. She had become something unexcusable, and she wouldn't be accepted back. She held her stomach as they got ever closer to the region her home was located in, before puking, staining the pure white snow. She kneeled down and continued, dry heaving a few times. This was anxiety sickness...

The girl Edward had shown interest in had just recently discolored the snow around her. Madesi made no self-conscious attempt to help her, instead she kept her eye on Edward as he walked his way over to her checking her vitals. He was very tempted to enter her mind, extremely tempted but he refused. There was no real reason to enter a mind so unbalanced just after nearly being killed by the other. The Doc was not even sure if Dark Bogan lived past the attack but one thing was for sure, some people out there were so determined to have power they would unleash the apocalypse again to gain it.

He had diagnosed an anxiety attack, one that had been triggered upon closing distance on Azull. Edward had offered to carry her but she decided against it. There was just another pass to get through until they were at the northern gates.
"So just what did you and Sister agree to then? I know she does not want to leave Shintaion but now she is trying to keep us here even more."
"I only asked her to stay with me for a month or two. Just long enough for my contract with the ABC to expire. Actually it is more-or-less so I can see you off on the day you leave rather than be stuck on some ridiculous guard duty." Madesi eyed up Edward's concern. A grimace came over her face as she thought about it.
"Even after dumping me you still find it in your heart to break it once more? Sure, why not? I'll stick around if only to make the voyage less of a nuisance." He shook his head and rubbed his hand through his hair.
"Now, you should not make fun of Sister like that. Come on we are passing the gate, take this it will give you a free passage." Edward handed Madesi a VIP pass which most ABC members had. Skipping the toll both at Azull had saved them a ton of money over the years. With most of the technology still somewhat working in Azull they had flicked a lever and opened the gates for their unit. The iron doors creaked slightly before being retracted into the sides of the ravine they stood in. Inside the city was busy and lively, the true essence of the Harbor City Azull.

Carla led Lowe and Hideki to Anyu Hospital. Making sure they were in good shape. They could not truly begin to take in all the sights and activities right now. They were in pain and had lost their comrades. Despite how they survived, the old man's face was filled with sorrow. He couldn't hold it back. Before they had to force him aboard the airship, he openly wept at the graves of his wife, daughter and granddaughter. The graves of the three people whom he loved the most.They had to drag him away, otherwise he would not have came with them it seemed...This mixture of shame, guilt, anger and depression truly had a hold over him.

He mumbled to himself trying to be as quiet as possible, "This whole thing... It was all my fault. Once again, the creature I helped unleash...Killed so many... I...Should have supported them. I only hope Lena can forgive me. And her daughters too....They didn't choose that thing to be their father... Why did the hatred for Dark Beasts have to be so great...None of this should have ever happened! If all that thing really wants to do is to kill me...I should let it have its wish..It is not dead..That thing won't die. It isn't Bogan anymore. It is pure evil.." It seemed he did not suspect Lowe or Carla would hear him.

It became difficult for Carla to hold back her emotions. Before she could think up some words to attempt to cheer up Hideki, Lowe spoke up. "Hideki. Please stop beating yourself up over it... I....know just what you mean.. 13, I should have went out searching the moment I heard about him being missing. But as Carla told me.. It's too late to just sit there and brood over it. Don't ever think of killing yourself! We need you! You know more about that thing than anyone else...If it comes back we need a way to defeat it for good.."

Carla added,"Your son will be here soon as well, Hideki.. He just has his Field Marshall duties to attend to first. He sounded worried about you. We will not allow you to harm yourself! There's no reason for it...We survived thanks to you. We could not save everyone but we saved as many people as we could!"

Their words of encouragement did not seem to help the old man that much. It seemed to make matters even worse. His relationship with the Field Marshall wasn't as good as they may have thought. He froze up and stood there, no longer walking with them as he spoke. "My son? No...I can't face him. Because of my failure....He lost a child. Their first born....I can't face him and his family. To them I am nothing more than a weak coward.. It is true.. All of those young warriors and even children dead. People who had so much potential and bright futures ahead of them. Yet the Gods let a useless old man live on... A man who lacks the strength to protect anyone...I can't be seen around the other grandchildren, they hate me for letting their older sister di-"

Lowe snapped at Hideki,"THAT IS ENOUGH! I am sick of this!!!! Hideki, I know what that thing put you through. I saw what it does. But you're just playing into its plans!!! It wants you to be miserable, it wants you to hate life and live in fear! Your son doesn't hate you! Just because you had something to do with that thing..That does not make Dark Bogan's crimes your crimes!!! Stop taking on all of the blame for it! You did the best you could and sometimes...It just isn't enough....You'll never be able to move on if you keep thinking like this!! You're too old to beat that thing in combat but you can still help us in other ways against it!" He began to calm down now but the stinging from the burn was really starting to get to him as well. He winced as he sighed.Hideki looked ashamed but he began to move again.

He said back to Lowe, "Forgive me for that. Truly unbecoming for a warrior. I..Just was not ready for all of this to happen. That thing being unleashed once again...Those poor young ABC members dying to that thing...Even the old Wind Beast..None of them deserved it...I just felt so powerless.. All I could do was watch in the end.. I can't stand it! I want to be able to right all my wrongs but....I just don't have the strength anymore but maybe you're right....Other ways..That I may actually succeed in.. I do have connections with the refugees....I could recruit some of them into the forces....And the old light beasts I knew...Maybe they could find a way to insure it dies for good..." Hideki did not instantly cheer up yet it was clear he at least took what Lowe said into account that time.

In another rare showing of emotion, Carla let out a half smile at Lowe. Of course Lowe did not put all of the old man's demons to rest but he at least inspired him to carry on, to realize he did have a purpose still. They were now standing at the entrance to the hospital. "Here we are, Hideki. You will be first. Your injuries are far more severe..I can tend to Lowe for now but we must not waste anymore time!!" They quickly made their way into the hospital. Hideki was taken for treatment by some of the best doctors the hospital had.

"I don't need some...some would-be doctor carrying me around like I'm a ragdoll or something, so back off!" Noe yelled at Edward between breaths. forcing herself to stand on her feet once more. A moment passed before she continued the trek to her home, ignoring the surroundings. It had been so long since she had walked this route, and yet, she remembered it like the back of her hand. The irony would be lost on anyone else, if they actually knew how few times she actually walked this route, as opposed to staggering through the city, hoping to arrive near her home eventually. Even now, she found herself eying her sides, just waiting for those familiar bullies to leap out at her. She saw shadows in the corner of her eye, but it was her mind playing tricks on her. Why was she going back to this place? There was no reason at all...Yet she trudged along the path, losing her footing once, before recovering once more. They arrived on what appeared to be the outskirts of the city, prompting a sigh from Noe.

"...We're almost there..." She muttered, her footsteps crunching the snow quite audibly now.

A few minutes later, they arrived at a fairly large plot of land, with a single house visible. Fairly modest, it stood as a reminder that life could live this far out, in these harsh conditions...And now she was at the front door. She raised her arm to knock on the door, visibly shaking. She closed her eyes, knocking three times on the wooden door. She waited a few moments before letting loose a sigh of relief. They weren't home...Good.

"We're going somewhere else... NOW." She demanded.

"What are you doing here, Noe?" A male voice demanded to know.

"Y...you...I thought you weren't..."

"You thought we weren't here? Word travels quickly around Azull. You, of all people, should know this." A female voice joined in.

"Now...why are you here? Do you not remember the...discussion...we had last time?"

Noe lost all her nerve, clearly stunned and stuck in her place. Her feet were rooted to the ground, and her mouth would not work for her.

One of the most important bases stationed in Azull was the one by the harbor, the Fimbulvetr Base it was dubbed. It was here an ABC leadership meeting was being held. Generals, Commanders, Colonels and politicians of all sorts were there. Even some representatives from Lavion were called there to be a part of it. It was called a meeting but it was more like a tribunal in actuality with Nacim being at the center of it all. They were grilling Nacim with question after question about the events that transpired in the City of Warriors. About the ALF involvement, about Hideki, Dark Bogan and the ones that bothered him most; how he let the OOA forces retreat.

"Commander Nacim, can you explain to us why you let them go? Why did you not capture them?! Nacim, the Terror of the Sky being afraid to detain or kill enemy combatants? Or is there something else going on here altogether? Did that religious harpy sink her talons into you? The reports say you even let an enemy cry on your shoulder? Did you not think that would give your true position away Nacim? How can you justify or explain all of this?"

A senior Azull politician questioned Nacim. He was an older human and a well loved politician to everyone but Nacim. He always pressed the issues and tried to get the facts yet his time it seem he dug far too deep with the wrong person.Nacim was irritated with how they talked down to him and suspected treachery on his part. Yet it was true to an extent, he could not kill Sheena or Sienna even if ordered. He was too afraid to go down an even darker path, to slaughter his own loved ones just for a shot at revenge on the ALF and OOA.

"I let them go simply because they too were victims of that abomination! They helped us fight the damn thing! That's more than that cowardly ALF Colonel Riggs did, he just ran away during the fight!!! They made a truce with us!!! I simply honored the terms of it. I have standards. To kill a female with a defenseless crying child soldier is not what I am paid to do! I'd be no different than that freak to capture or kill them after they helped us survive in the first place! I'd love to have seen you there on the battlefield with us, senator! You didn't see our comrades who died fighting, you didn't see the horror that thing unleashed! If you saw it first hand instead of sitting on your ass in your mansion where it is safe... Maybe you'd actually be able to comprehend our actions!!! We'll see who the real traitor to his country his, senator!!!"

He slammed his fists on the table as he gave a death glare to the politician. He spoke not a word back to Nacim. He soon remembered upsetting Nacim would not end well. Last time some of Nacim's "friends" paid the politician a visit last time he upset Nacim. It was a warning that the senator soon remembered.

It made him grow silent instead of pressing the issue any further. Zigus himself was there of course and he returned order to the chaotic meeting,"Order! Order! We cannot fight among each other like this. Nacim merely did the right thing. It would have been cruel to turn against those whom helped them defeat the Beast! We have to be united!!!I know you are all worried about the future. But we cannot live in fear. We can survive this war and Dark Bogan. We just must be prepared.. To do so we will begin a process to restructure our forces as the Shintaion Defense Force! We shall have a name befitting the united forces of Shintaion...And Lavion if decide to openly support us...And Nacim...We will never forget those who died today. We will hold a ceremony to honor them..I will personally make sure their families are taken care of for life!!Their sacrifices were not for nothing and we will fulfill their last wishes!!! We will protect the free country they fought and died for!! All of those lost this day to the ALF as well! Not a single soul shall be forgotten!!!!!!"

Everyone gave applause once Zigus spoke, even Nacim. He knew how to get people fired up far more than Carla or Nacim could. He appealed to the pride of Azull and it worked wonders. It also helped he truly was sincere in his motives. "Now..Are there any further matters we must discuss before we dismiss this meeting?"

A representative from Lavion, a female elf spoke up. "The Dark Beasts. I believe it is well worth our time investing in an Anti-Dark Beast task force..For dealing with this Dark Bogan creature.. And other Dark Beasts. We have reason to believe they are not extinct like the Behemoth and Morphling races are. After all, this Carla Sivon of yours exists and now this Dark Bogan. Surviving Dark Beasts need to be located and...persuaded to our side or eliminated if they are hostile."

She added, "We have reason to believe the random attacks on travelers were the work of Dark Beasts.. Yet we still can't prove it. One of our investigators believes it may be something else..We can't be living in fear of unknown fantasy creatures! We must live our lives based on strictly on facts, not gut feelings of it being something else! In my mind it is the work of Dark Beasts!!! Even in the off chance we are wrong...At least we have some force assembled to deal with it...I also know you are in need of more good men and women Zigus. I can speak with the leaders of Lavion to lend you some forces..And even one super soldier who can really put a stop to the rampages of any Dark Beasts, does the name Lucette Arceneau mean anything to you? She volunteered the moment we were informed of Dark Bogan's existence. She is already heading this way as a matter of fact."

Most in the meeting gasped and recognized the name. She was the daughter of a leading general in the wars with the Dark Beasts. A general whom had the highest recorded kill total of Dark Beasts in the war! His unit was the most successful in the war, one of the few success stories. Some of the only ones capable of truly besting the Dark Beasts in combat. The apple did not fall far from the tree, she was said to be just as great. It seemed her talents were going to waste at Lavion, killing common bandits or creatures was just too easy of a task for her. She rather do what her father trained her for; killing Dark Beasts! The ALF and the OOA would just be added bonuses to her although surely they had interest in recruiting some Dark Beasts to their sides as well.

Seeming a bit upset Zigus spoke up,"I appreciate the gesture but we must not go on a witch hunt for Dark Beasts and continue the mistakes that ruined the world! We are at war! We have to focus on fortifying our defenses and protecting our people from Dark Bogan and monsters like it! The ALF and the OOA are still the real threats here.. Of course we can allocate some troops to protect civilians from Dark Bogan but we don't have enough to seek out Dark Beasts at a time like this...We must focus on Dark Bogan if it truly still is out there. That is my requirement for such a task force. Only after that thing is dealt with can we try to begin search parties for others."

She responded back to him,"Oh yes I understand your position Zigus. It will not be a witch hunt, we can integrate the civil Dark Beasts into our society and military. Then we will eliminate the hostile blood thirsty ones whom wish to continue the previous war.. I know you have faith in Carla Sivon. Yet if she goes mad just like that savage Dark Bogan, who could stop her? Our girl Lucette, of course! Think of her as a safeguard to keep Carla in check. Her skills with the musket and heavy weaponry are unparalleled, so even if Carla never goes rogue, you will have a strong new ally on your side that will strike fear into the ALF and OOA. The daughter of an anti-Dark Beast specialist is nothing to be taken lightly! You just have to compromise if you want her. The OOA have not yet attacked on land yet you realize. Now is the time to gather up strength before they do! Think it over Zigus. It's better we get to any surviving Dark Beasts before they do. Our victory or defeat all depends on your choices here, Zigus. We need every advantage we can get. The Order of Aegle may strike Lavion soon so we must decide this now! Please all of you give it thought. Before we leave this room, we have to come to a decision on this task force.."

Those words gave Zigus pause as he gathered with his closet associates and Nacim so they could reach a decision. Yet this idea of Lucette joining them truly got Nacim's attention. He loved the idea. If he had her under his command, he would have contingency plans for all of the 4th unit members, back-up plans that would work if any one of them dared to betray him! He learned from his time in the OOA to expect betrayal.

"I asked...Why are you here?" The man repeated his question in a much more stern tone, approaching Noe. He cracked his knuckles threateningly, eying the rest of the group casually before returning his eyes to Noe. "I told you the last time-..."

"Dad! Please, just..." She interrupted quickly, pleading with her father.

"Show respect for your elders, whelp! And who are you calling 'Dad'? You are no daughter of mine! No member of my family would ever be as weak as yourself! You have no right to claim either of us as your parents, not until you prove you DESERVE it! Unless you can do that, I demand you get out of my sight, immediately."

"Then...I...I...mean....Mom....Dad..." She stuttered, only able to convey her meaning to herself. I'm sorry for...being so weak... I'll fight...and get stronger...and I'll get rid of this...

Without another word, Noe struck a fighting pose, stretching her right leg out ahead of her left one, staring her father in the eyes. He stared back, crossing his arms.

"Honey, move. I haven't had a good workout in a while." She lightly pushed him out of the way, matching Noe's pose. "Let's see if you actually amount to something now, huh? Show me you're not some parasite and we'll see..."

She nodded slowly, trying to steady her breathing. This was Azull....A city for warriors and fighters...Trying meant nothing if you didn't have the strength to back yourself up. You could try and try for your whole life...But without strength, you'd go nowhere...And you would spend your life drowning in the swamp you created for yourself.

A nurse called out Lowe's name, "Mr.Lowe Demetrius? The doctor will be ready for you soon but please step inside so you can wait." She then looked at Carla and Lowe as they approached. "Is she a loved one or relative of yours, Mr.Demetrius? She can come as well if she wishes..." Her fear of Carla was clear yet she didn't say anything about it. Yet the looks from the other patients towards Carla, it was clear her prescience was not welcome at the hospital. All of these horror stories of Dark Bogan revived the old fear the people had for Dark Beasts.

Carla escorted Lowe into a waiting room as he sat on the the examination table, waiting for the doctor. She was treating Lowe's injuries with an old dark beast remedy for treating burns from dark energy that she put on a cloth and applied to the burns. "Carla.. Thank you.. I just hope these burns aren't serious. I can't undergo surgery, the war isn't going to take a pause just since I got injured. And what if that thing comes back? You'll need me! Our comrades died fighting Dark Bogan..To be stuck recovering and unable to fight would just...I'd feel beyond useless...."

"Lowe. You must not worry...I do not think it is that severe. My treatment will prevent infection. Just try to relax and not dwell on what has happened today. Just like when I my sister gave her life so..I could live free. Not as a test subject for the ALF or a pawn for the OOA. I get to make my own choices and fight for what I believe in instead of being a slave. We have to be grateful that we are alive and try to cherish. To enjoy our lives instead of wishing you could go back and change the outcome of past tragedies. We have to move on and continue instead of succumbing to despair. Allow me to apply one last dose of it now just to be safe..." Carla once again treated Lowe's burns, it stung for a bit as the remedy was essentially a type of antiseptic but in the end Lowe appreciated it.

He did not show it immediately but her words did cheer him up to a small extent. He decided to change the subject aware of how Carla did not like to talk about her sister's death. "You've got a point there Carla. I hope it's not too painful for me to bring up but do you know what happened to the Underworld after you left? Maybe..maybe I still got family down there from my mom's side? I mean..it's possible right? Or are Dark Beasts really going extinct like everyone seems to think?"

Speaking more quietly than before Carla told Lowe,"On the surface, yes we are. There aren't many of us here. That Dark Bogan does not count.. It is just me as far as I know....But as for the Underworld...I had to get out before the bombs hit Yomi City..My parents stayed behind to evacuate. It was their duty being in positions of power like they were.. They said our entire family would all meet up on the surface when it was said and done....We waited for days up there on Shrivisk and when we tried to go back down....The pathway was closed. The other roads to the Underworld I knew around Shintaion were either destroyed or similarly closed off by something or someone...I have no idea of knowing how bad the damage is down there. If ever I get a chance to go back..I will... But for now Shintaion is where we are needed. It may be too late for my homeland, Lowe. All of these years..Any damage is already done. If I do go back I don't imagine I will like what I see.."

She then shifted the subject a bit, "Your mother's family. I remember they lived in Peklo....I really do not know about that how badly that town was hurt, Lowe. I'm sorry for that.. Maybe we should just-" Before she could continue, the doctor was finally in and grabbed a clipboard. He was a younger eleven man perhaps in his early thirties or so.

The doctor smirked as he remarked, "Dark Beast mating rituals last for hours so I am told but can you two kindly put it on hold? It's so I can make sure these burns aren't serious...Wouldn't want that kinda pain getting in the way now would you?" His joke did not sit over well with Carla or Lowe, neither laughed. Lowe showed only signs of embarrassment as his eyes drifted towards Carla. Carla did not react at all as she avoided giving the doctor a glare.

The doctor laughed at them as he said, "Hey! Cheer up you two, this is a hospital, not a funeral home!! I didn't catch your conversations but it looked like a real downer. I'll take good care of you! Oh and Professor Ruby wants to give you her regards. A friend of hers is a friend of mine. I took her classes once upon a time you see.... I'm not going to judge you like the others outside might have. Now let's have a look-see!"

The doctor thoroughly looked at Lowe's wounds and after a good thirty minutes of examination, questioning about the attack that hit him and testing how painful the burns were to Lowe, he had a diagnosis. "Well big guy, these burns...Well could have been way worse... More like first degree and a half if I had to say.. your armor protected you from the worst of it. You'll be fine. No need for a scary skin graft or some surgery or anything too extreme. I'll give you some stuff for treatment but that lady friend of yours is taking good care of you, her little remedy kept it from getting any nasty infections. My prescription is a bit of rest, some fresh air and cheering up. Go out for a night in the city, you fought hard for us. You're not gonna get much off time so you have to enjoy it. All of us appreciate the things you soldiers do for our safety and freedom. The people in the lobby had no right to give you a cold reception, forgive their ignorance please..." He shook hands with both Carla and Lowe before they left.

Now it seemed they were both free yet unsure of what to really do. It was too soon to check on old man Hideki after all, he was probably still with his son or being treated. So perhaps enjoying the sights of the city was the most they could do until it was a good time to visit Hideki.

"Mind if I sit here?" Noe's father asked the group before sitting down Indian-style in the snow. One couldn't help but notice he was barefoot. Yet, he showed no signs of being cold. This was what growing up in Azull would do to a person. They became a warrior, immune to things as silly as hot and cold. If anything, they enjoyed the challenge of enduring such things. It proved their strength, among other things. He viewed the two closely, adding his two cents in. "This'll be over quickly."

Mother and daughter stared each other down, both waiting for an opportune moment to strike. A howling wind passed through the battlefield, causing Noe to look at the source of the noise. This was the only opportunity her mother needed. As Noe's attention returned to the fight, her mother was nowhere to be found. She panicked, looking around at the surroundings. Where was she? Where did she go...? Without warning, she was struck from behind by her opponent. The source was a fierce kick to the spine, which sent her reeling back.

"Ugh...That...that was a cheap..."

"This is real combat! You get distracted here, and you'll die. I told you I wouldn't take it easy on you. If you screw up here, you're dead, Noe!" Her gaze was as cold as the snow that surrounded them.

Noe shuffled through the snow, standing up quickly. She charged at her mother while she spoke, hoping to catch her off-guard now. She leaped at the last moment, aiming a fist to her mother's face. She was shocked when she felt her mother grab hold of her fist, and counter by swinging her around, flinging her to a distant location on the field.

"Did you expect to hit me there? You haven't learned a thing, have you? You're too direct, and you make too much noise. It's too easy to hear your footsteps in all this snow. Why, I could beat you senseless without moving...Toughen up, you, or you'll die today!"

The two decided to stop by the marketplace first and then they would go on a tour of the harbor itself. The harbor was truly the lifeblood of Azull. The marketplace was also a big deal but to soldiers such as them, they did not really need to go out and buy much.

As they passed by the various merchants whom had their make-shift shops all set up. It was said there were miles worth of stores, one could not truly see them all in one go-through. The stores that appealed to them most were those for weapons, supplies and food of course. They would definitely want to get food, top of the line supplies and weaponry were already supplied to them. They only had to worry about getting their own food when off duty and it wasn't that difficult. Of course you could not always find the best food any longer. Seafood in Azull wasn't that hard to get luckily.

When they finally caught one such shop that had food, they were accosted by a pet shop merchant whom took notice of their ABC uniforms. "Aaaaah, come come good sir and madam!!! You should see my wares..I have wondrous creatures. You two...Will fall in love with each other further if you...Buy this bear cub! Domesticated bears my friends, they are the future! A pet that may even have a place at the front-lines of war!!! It can raise your unit's morale, it can be your friend! All yours for a low price of a three thousand gold coins....What do you say? A lovely one, he can be trained. He is a smart one! Touch him..Feel his fine healthy coat!"

The man held up a polar bear cub to Lowe and Carla awkwardly and forced it upon Carla. They didn't like this situation, the price was a rip off and they figured he was giving them bull shit just to make a sale. It was what some unfortunate merchants had to do to make sales and this one was one of them. Carla reached out and gave the pet the bear briefly. It seemed to be very nervous, not just towards Carla but being in front of all these strange people. The sights, the smells of it all must have been confusing the poor cub. Carla's reaction was hard to gauge. Yet she really was not going to pay for such a thing.

A pet of such sort would just be a liability, another worry to add to their list.The merchant then grinned, "Ohhh. You see. She also loves it. Nature isn't dead yet, you see. How about it, to put smile on her face? Or what if you want something else? Perhaps you should look!!! I even caught some owls! Perfect for scouting missions, better than paying and feeding a wind beast!! Or show you..you BEAR love for her by purchasing the cub! The best of the best!" Lowe sighed in response, dying on the inside dealing with the merchant's ridiculous attempts to sell the cub. He was truly desperate to make any money today. Pets weren't in exactly in high demand in such a world aside from the extremely wealthy.

"Sorry but we're not made of money here....We've got places to do. Thanks for showing us your wares but we must be going.." With that Lowe and Carla took off to check the other stores out. The merchant showing clear disappointment.

He whispered to Carla,"It's cute and all but...What could we really do with it, wait a few years for it to be large enough to be a mount? Train it to wield a tree as a weapon with its mouth? A bear cub against advanced ALF weapons and elite OOA soldiers, it makes total sense!" Carla gave out a reserved laugh in response, covering her mouth in case just to prevent the old merchant from hearing as they departed.

"Yes. And no one could raise it properly as we would be out fighting. Times have changed but some creatures cannot be tamed so easily. He just wants to sell it, he doesn't care about its well-being or future...Pitiful." Lowe nodded in agreement as they moved through the marketplace surveying it to make sure they didn't miss anything that caught their eyes. They went through many stores. A bookstore that caught both their attention, more stores that focused on food and finally.. A music store! One that truly peaked their interest. They looked through the records and found a few they both liked. Mostly some music done in jazz or in a blues style. Very little was vocal. The records didn't really capture voices too well compared to the music.

When it came time to pay. Lowe took charge,"It's all on me, Carla. You really were a life saver there with that remedy for my burns....It's the least I can do...If you need or want anything else today..I'll do what I can..." He didn't have much else to spend it on either. Family? All gone.. A house? Little point as he would be travelling the world after the war to return the dead land back to life. He even inherited his parent's money so it was not a factor. His pay was only a bonus, not his primary motivation for signing up.

She thanked him simply,"Thank you Lowe.....We don't need music to survive but...It may help keep spirits up. We can share these among the unit...But this one...It has the song that you showed me..I'll keep it.."She looked at Lowe and smiled at him as they left. They just about had enough with the market now. That and Carla drew a lot of attention. She could feel all of the eyes watching her, judging her. Seeing her as a devil but not considering at all how she fought for their safety. The fear Dark Bogan resurrected overtook the value of her actions to fight for Shintaion it seemed..

They began to make their way towards the harbor. They witnessed an unusual scene unfolding. An ALF prisoner seized from a boat was trying to create some sort of hostage situation. He was surrounded by Azull port authorities whom were having difficulty dealing with it. "Oh yes.. I've got explosives on me!!!! Look at these!! Now if you don't let me go, I can take us allll with me. I just require a boat and the necessary supplies in it to make the voyage back home!! Sound good? No one has to die here..."

The stakes were high. Carla, Lowe and countless others whom had nothing to do with it would be presumably caught in any sort of explosion. They just came there to admire the harbor, not deal with another life or death situation. Carla and Lowe prepared to get involved as they readied their energy. Yet they were both struggling to truly form anything, they were exhausted from the battle with Dark Bogan. Carla had used up all her energy there and it had only now just began to recover.

Before they could act. A light beast with a glowing energy musket ran in and shoved some of the port authorities aside and shouted out,"How dare you threaten to ruin the majesty of this harbor! You louse! Be gone! Divine Purge!!!"

She released the energy and the musket released one single musket ball of energy that hit his skull with enough force to kill him. She then clawed him in the neck to insure his death. She laughed as she backed away from the body. "Idiot! Would it have killed him to have worn a helmet?! I think the opposite ohohoh! Hardly worth my time if he died so easily... I am so sorry it was a bit of a messy kill but now you can take it from here. What's this? Dark Beast? You must be the one I heard of, Mrs.Sivon! I am sorry for stealing your kill there but there was no time for hesitation. I don't mean to bloat. Did you enjoy witnessing my power first hand?" She pulled out a handkerchief and cleaned off the little blood that spilled on her claws casually.

"I thank you for stepping in but this is not a game! Just who are you if I may ask?" Carla responded, clearly apprehensive of the whole incident and wondering how she knew who Carla was.The light beast turned to face Carla as she pressed on her glasses, smugly.

She appeared to be twenty two years old, with a slender build and poor eye sight, hence she needed glasses to alleviate that. She was dressed in a special black Lavion uniform that appeared custom made, including a sleek yet protective helmet. It was clear she had confidence in herself and no fear of repercussions for her actions. Being part of a wealthy and famous family gave her this sense of being above others. She was also a little short, the one thing people could point out to upset her. The only thing that could make her feel insecure.

"Lucette Arceneau! Daughter of the great Regulus Arceneau. Slayer of many dark beasts! Now do you remember my family name? And as it so happens, I will be joining your unit as part of an agreement from Lavion... I just hope you won't let me down. I demand perfection, from myself and my comrades. Anything less is a waste of my time! Of course combat is not a game, Mrs.Sivon, it is an ART!"

"And I am a master of it! You are a Dark Beast, you have the power to destroy the world...But you must control it...That also art, it takes immense skill. Very elegant to keep such a power under check..If you ever lose control, I will personally end your life! With no assistance from anyone else. Do not take it as a threat, take it as a promise! With all of these people as witnesses to it!"This bold statement shocked both Carla and Lowe, leaving them speechless. She had that amount of faith in herself to make such a boast! Carla still did not show any other reactions aside from not responding immediately.

Before she left she looked at Lowe and greeted him, taking her helmet off to wave, "Ah Mr.Demetrius. May I inquire the whereabouts of the rest of your unit? I should meet with them.. You two meet my standards..barley...I want to see the others! To size them up, you know. Are they perhaps training right now as we speak for the battles to come? Any true leader knows preparation is key!"

Lowe sighed. He already did not care for Lucette. She knew too much about them and acted as if she knew them,"Listen, we all need time to unwind. Please don't bother them....It was a hard battle. Ok? I'm not in any shape to train, nor is Carla. Let them relax with what little free time we have! You'll just startle them!!!Meet them when you are formally in the unit?"

Lucette laughed loudly."No No no, Mr.Demetrius, it will be their PLEASURE to be graced with my prescience! Good day to you both!!I know all your names and your general appearances. I can ask around, I even had experience with the intelligence division in Lavion if you are curious. You two can't order me around yet. I may even surpass you in rank. It needs to be determined. So I will do as I please. I may be able to bring our unit closer together. We need to have strong bonds to survive! Now...If your burns continue to hurt you..I can always offer my healing touch to you. My healing abilities are so hard to compete with."

Lowe cringed in response as he said clearly frustrated, "No thank you! I am fine with Carla's treatment and what the doctor gave me!!! So good day but please do not bother them!!!!Give them a break!" He was beginning to miss the merchant from earilier now. A bear cub would not be nearly this much trouble to deal with. At least it would not be so smug and full of itself. Dealing with Lucette seemed truly unbearable.

Before she could leave Carla confronted her her, "Good day. But please tell me you do more than talk. If your abilities aren't as great as you think they are, you could end up dead out there. I hope you're in touch with reality and not just talking hot air. We need professional soldiers, not career braggarts. I don't want to be responsible for allowing a delusional person onto the battlefield." Carla said, still not expressing her true feelings towards Lucette with any facial expression although her words still showed some disbelief.

Yet again, she could not contain her giggling. "Mrs.Sivon, I like you already! Your humor is charming indeed. Oh you'll see, what you saw is exactly what you'll get. Beautiful pure, naked power. No deception here! I am bored and my talent was wasted in Lavion you see. I seek a challenge; real combat! Not against petty whelps and bandits that drop like flies! Your unemotional act is a riot! Your jealousy can be seen by even the blind. You poor thing! Oh but you still have Mr.Demetrius smitten with you for some odd reason. Why his eyes have yet to wonder onto my glorious physique, I have no idea. You inspire fear and panic. I inspire greatness and envy! I have no need to hide my emotions! Regardless, farewell for now! I am off to see others with my own two eyes!" She locked eyes with Carla one last time.

She departed, leaving the harbor after looking at it one last time. At least eyes were now focused on her instead of Carla, she drew attention to herself by making such a big scene and enjoyed every moment of it! Carla and Lowe both let out a collective sigh of relief. They were free from her for now. They were not going to let that ruin this tour of the harbor.

Noe barely had the time to stand up again before her mother was in front of her, delivering an elbow to her gut, followed by a powerful double-fisted hammer to her back, causing her back down into the snow. She lifted her head, dry-heaving a bit before crawling away. Her mother could've ended it there, but she allowed her to get away, knowing she had the advantage here.

As soon as she got away, her mother came rushing in, deliberately letting Noe see her rush in instead of flashing around like before. Noe aimed a punch, easily blocked by her mom. She countered it was with a punch to the gut. Noe recovered quickly, in time to block another punch with her elbow. Her mom flashed a quick grin, slamming her knee into her stomach, sending her doubling over, gasping for breath. She delivered another hammer to the head, followed by several slow, powerful punches to the gut. She ended the assault with what was basically a bull charge, sending Noe flying into a rather large rock, slamming her back into it. She crumpled over, struggling to catch her breath as her mother calmly walked towards her to continue the assault.

In a rather upscale cafe, Lucette was sipping on expensive tea as she read off notes about the 4th unit. She was thoroughly enjoying all of this. She was interested in all of them and seeing what they were capable of. She wanted her team to do well. Yet when she read the intelligence on Nacim. She nearly spit out her tea.

She said to herself aloud, "Commander Nacim...This one will be harder to find. A truly unsightly and dubious character indeed..Near one of the bases would be the logical choice.." She stirred her tea as she contemplated where to look for Nacim. She was more interested in the others but she eventually would have to see this unit's leader one way or the other. She finished her tea eventually as she left a hefty tip for her servers and took off in a formal and relaxed fashion as if she owned the place.

The more dangerous way towards the bases involved going through the slums and alleyways, the bad side of town. A place people would go if they were looking for trouble usually. Lucette just didn't care and rather get to the base faster. She ignored the cat calls, the whistling towards her and several shady characters hanging around.

Before she could waltz out of this bad side of the city, she heard two people speaking. A conversation that sparked her interest. Nacim was speaking with a cloaked figure in a rather empty ally.

"So the pirates did survive the ALF assault. Good...Now on a different note..Do you know about...the others? I know Zigus has one stashed away in the vault but....There are others, right? And what about the gateway to-" He turned around and saw Lucette observing him. It upset him heavily and made the situation turn into an incident. It was clear nothing good was going to come from this.

"Greetings, Nacim. If that's your real name, which I doubt. You're so predictable. I just am shocked none of your comrades cared to unravel the truth. I can give you mine. Lucette Arceneau. Now what exactly were you doing? It sounded like an interesting conversation! Did I offend you? Should I address you as King Shine? Or would that ruin your new image?"
Lucette caught him in the act and was not hesitating to find out just what had gone on. It was not her business perhaps but she was getting involved.

Nacim looked agitated as he glared at Lucette,"Oh it's you. Hmph. I'm merely trying to win the war, that's all. We all have our goals in life, revenge is mine. But I do wonder what Lavion's goal is. Waiting for all of the warring factions to kill each other and then end their so called neutrality? What sort of allies let soldiers die when they could have stepped in and made it a decisive victory for our forces instead of a moderate one, instead of just barley being enough to win? Your government's purpose is sinister and you must know of it. How about you answer me first?" He then intimidated her as he stood by his shady informant and whispered to him. He glared at her as if she was the criminal now. She did make the mistake of wondering into an area that Nacim frequented and controlled in a sense. A place where he would meet with his "friends" and informants without worrying about interruptions or secrets being leaked.

Lucette laughed in Nacim's face undaunted by his attempts to frighten her. "Really, trying to change the subject? You are a frightened man Nacim, a man living in fear! Hardly befitting of a King. But it makes sense.. You may be forced to kill the lovely queen whom you grew up with and courted...And the little one you raised with her as if she was your own. A tragedy befitting of a playwright's script. The Downfall of The King of the Wind Beasts. Now once again may I ask you to tell me what your business was here?"

"Defeating the ALF and the OOA, that is my business. You really do remind me of your father...Yet he looked into things that weren't his business. When his unit was ordered to massacre a village in the Underworld, he dared to defy the order... It was amazing they didn't court martial him after that.. But then he wanted to know why.. To know why they wanted to continue and escalate the war.. It was fine he killed hundreds of Dark Beasts earlier but when they wanted him to kill women, children and the elderly, that was when he started to show a desire for peace? He was not killed in action by the Dark Beasts; he was killed by tools of politicians!!!

He continued, "Because was trying to find out the truth behind the war! He was a true leader though for his people and his men. A brave and noble man...Regulus. Yet too idealistic and naive! That was his downfall! He was willing to betray his government...A costly mistake....I wonder if Lavion would want to know about that. Maybe Regulus's little girl would do the same. Maybe that's why she wants to join with us so badly so she has a place to run and hide..."

He shook his head. "This world won't be ruled by the kind and the noble. It's the strong and the deceitful that will rise above and survive. Taking advantage of all the others! You can't both take the moral high-ground and expect to win a war like this. I seek a swift end to this conflict and I know of many methods of ending it. It will take sacrifices but the ends will justify the means. I wonder what your intentions are now..Lavion's lap-dog or spy? It's really uncharacteristic of you to be so blindly loyal, your homeland was Shrivisk after all; Why be so loyal to Lavion? Is it really worth risking your life for? Are so eager to join him by causing in-fighting for your own curiosity? You're a tiny little lady. You really think you could win? You have no friends on this side of town, I could introduce you to some of mine....But you are the daughter of a friend. I'll give you a chance to get out of this alive."

Lucette no longer seemed as entertained by the conversation. Her facial expression changed to some form of anger. She was no longer playing around either. "Don't you ever talk like about my father like that!!!!! And you really think you'd win against me? You're more naive and idealistic than anyone else here! You talk about how you need to win this war no matter what but then you admire people like my father? You sicken me! You really are nothing but a classless terrorist! Your insane desire for revenge will condemn our world once again if not kept under control! I won't inform anyone in Lavion of your potential misdeeds yet, but once I know.. You will answer for any sins you commit! I swear on Arlon's name I will protect this world!!! That's my goal! And I have the power to back it up; I don't need connections or threats! So...Seeing as how I do not desire to cause an international incident without proof and justification. I'd feel like a brainless brute if I just brought down the hammer of Lavion upon your little rag-tag brigade to crush you!"

She further elaborated, "You may never mention the truth about my father to anyone and I won't bring up your true identity or your shady business deals with this strange and revolting creature of a man. I do look forward to working with you despite this incident, I do not approve of your means but I can respect your fighting capabilities. I truly do wish to see the Terror of the Sky in action. Aerial combat is something that I can never be a part of yet it is so captivating. Yes but let us not get carried away. You have business, I have business as well. We may not agree but we do not need to be enemies. We have the ALF and OOA to deal with. Do you agree to my terms, Nacim? With Arlon as our witness?"

"I agree. But just leave religion out of this and I'm happy with it. I heard you were quite impressive too,Lucette. It will be interesting to work with you. You better be as great as you say. I don't want to be let down..Now do you require an escort out of here? This isn't a nice part of town as you know. Someone looking as beautiful as you..Well you attract a lot of unwanted attention..You may require protection. I don't let anything happen to women. This world may be dying but we still have our culture and standards to uphold. I turn a blind eye only to victim-less crimes..Or crimes down to the enemy. You're not my enemy any longer. What say you, little Lucette?"

Lucette let out a small laugh as she responded, "Ohoho. I mean not to be rude but I shall pass on that offer, Nacim. I don't think anyone can top you in terms of being a threat around here. You may no longer be a king of the wind beasts but you certainly rule over the denizens of this accursed place with an iron fist. I misjudged you, have some ounce of class but I do not need protection. I can stand alone! Ruffians with their common thuggery cannot overcome my strength. If anyone tries to lay a hand upon me, they'll be dead before they get within an inch! Good day to you, Nacim. Let us meet again but under more formal terms. Oh and do not ever address me as little again, I am a fully grown adult woman and you will respect me as such. My stature does not make me any less of a true combat master! I bid you adieu!" She left and created a musket of light energy, just in case anyone did dare to attack her. She was prepared. Yet it seemed she didn't mind trouble, fighting was her forte.

With that, the awkward standoff was ended. It seemed they had a mutual understanding now. They both knew secrets about each other, they both had intentions they were not clear. At least they were united despite all this; they had common enemies to unite against.

Noe failed to get out of the way quickly enough, and suffered a heavy axe kick to her shoulder blade, putting her in more pain than she could handle. A steady drip hit the snow, painting it red in a matter of seconds. Tears were falling to the ground at the same time, entirely unbecoming of a warrior, or someone who was supposed to be one. Her left arm was useless now... Her mother put pressure on her head using her foot, essentially asserting her superiority over her. The snow met her face slowly, chilling her tears as they slid down her face. She shouldn't have come here...She shouldn't have fought, and she should've run. She was going to die here, in the same place she was born. The irony would've been delicious if it wasn't happening to her... The pressure increased again, and Noe felt some other presence inside her. Her pupils dilated quickly, and her energy flared up once more.

She forced her mother off of her, and stared her down, a cold stare replacing any emotion to be found. This was the turning point...Or it would've been... Her mother came rushing out of nowhere, landing a crushing blow to her face.

"If you're going to die, die as yourself, not as some broken bitch!" She started walking towards her once more, preparing a final blow.

The incident from before had been cleaned up and the port officials departed after questioning Lowe and Carla a bit just to be sure. After realizing and getting the gist of the situation, they realized it was not worth it to attempt to detain Lucette for questioning either. She had too much influence with Lavion and clearly was not involved in addition to fleeing the scene after helping create such chaos.

Now it was truly peaceful. No incident, no crazy light beast boasting and bragging and laughing out loud as if the situation was a comedy could finally admire the harbor together. One of the few great symbols of the old world left. Sure the harbor could no longer take you to hostile territory owned by the ALF and OOA but it still was one of the only working harbors out there.

"Ah..Some peace and quiet for a change. And no chance of that crazy one coming up to annoy us either..I just really hope she leaves the others alone. She does get the job done though, I can give her that. But the way she interacts with people...It leaves a lot to be desired..Maybe we should check to make sure they didn't get verbally assaulted like that. I mean saying something like that out in public. Really draws too much attention to our unit."
Lowe commented as he and Carla admired the view together.

"It is her own responsibility to control herself. I do not imagine Noe would like it if we just crept up on her or if we interfered with Mach and Ina's research.. Even that mercenary Edward would not be amused. This is off duty time after all. We must not make the mistakes Lucette chose to make. Public harassment under the guise of "sizing us up" cannot and will never result in a positive outcome. It will only draw attention to her and make the others weary of her. A bad first impression to make. Relax Lowe. Just relax.." She tried to put Lowe at ease as she spoke softly but honestly. It was not easy in the slightest. To call today a rough day for whole unit would be an understatement of epic proportions. Lowe was perhaps one who took it the hardest.

She mused about the ocean,"The ocean. It is one of the few aspects of nature not ruined just yet. Perhaps more dangerous but more than we had down in the Underworld.. Just the Lornz River and some other bodies of water. Nothing as seemingly infinite as this sea. I have been on the open sea before but none of them were pleasure cruises. You could not stop to look and enjoy what little beauty is left in this world. To truly take it in. This was the world my ancestors were denied. A world with so much more possibility and hope. Yet look what they did to it. My people may not be completely innocent but those who approved those bombs took the war too far and paid for it. We're all paying for it to this day.. There would be no further war if they hadn't ruined so much of the land."

"Yeah. Didn't they appreciate what we had here. Or maybe they were just too desperate to "win" the war. I just can't wait until we get a chance to heal the world. The Professor's project really is working out. I just wish we could go ahead with that purification airship plan. If they'd just give us a chance, we could provide them with healthy, life supporting soil again.. But their leaders are difficult. Lucia would probably destroy it or try to deceive the people over it. President Alva of the ALF, well...He'd try to take all the credit for it and probably market it instead of just letting us restore the world. He's desperate for votes. What a tool he is! Votes when the world is in shambles!!"

Lowe continued,"Alva thinks slavery is good for the economy somehow! Lucia thinks she is a Goddess or can speak for the gods. She probably has some form of psychological issues like a god complex. Alva on the other hand is just plain greedy and a coward. If I ever met him, my first reaction would be to stomp on him or toss him off the nearest cliff. I'm a civil man but not a naive one, I know we can't trust him! Any peace treaty from him will give the ALF an advantage over everyone else!" It was clear he had the same disdain for politicians Carla did.

Carla smirked subtly."You are correct...Our leaders are decent but not perfect either. Zigus took a great risk taking me in but I will always appreciate it. Even then, he has his own agenda. His own real reason for taking me in. It wasn't solely to be kind, it was the logical thing to do. To have the power of a dark beast on his side. Politicians are always looking out for themselves. Lavion as well. They keep trying to avoid being pulled into this war, even if it means we face tougher battles and more causalities as a result. They're holding out for their own sake. I don't like it even if the logic behind it could make some degree of sense. Just remember Lowe, we're with Zigus since we coincide with his beliefs. If ever he became like the other politicians..." She did not feel the need to finish the rest of her sentence, she could tell Lowe knew what she was going to say next.

"Yeah...I know what you mean.. But regardless of how things turn out, I'll go where you go Carla. I could never fight against you even if Nacim ordered me to. I know you won't go berserk anyhow, you're too good at keeping your emotions in check for that to happen. Heh you know, I....I..Yeaaah, I mean to say.. We both know each other's motives here. I want to achieve peace as soon as we can and heal the world after...You want to honor your sister and make it a world where no one is persecuted like that.. We have the same goals in the end.." He told her, once again stumbling on his words making sure not to make the situation awkward.

Carla smiled in approval. "Lowe...Yes..You have got that right. Well I think we've seen all that we can here. Are you ready to go somewhere else? Perhaps a cafe of some sort. No pubs because of the last incident. No more Lowe, I don't want a repeat of that time." She recalled an incident many months ago when Lowe celebrated the Professor's breakthrough of technology used in the purification machine.

Lowe laughed as he recalled the memory fondly. "Hey, well you were still able to haul me back! And I only did it since the Professor and Duo were treating me to it. I know, I won't do it again. I do not intend to show up for duty intoxicated. That was under different circumstances. I think we'll figure out our next move along the way. There's got to be more to see here. But the cafe does sound nice. Let's hurry before..."

He struggled to imitate Lucette's voice and tone all he could muster was her laugh, "Ohohoho-ah shit. Too much. I can't do it. My voice is too deep to pass for a female's! Why don't you try, Carla? Come now, we had all this serious talk and stuff. What about something just for fun?"

Carla shook her head,"No, a pitiful and childish waste of my time. But if it helps you relax...I am willing to do so just for you...Just this once. This once and never after." She prepared to do a voice as Lowe watched her anxiously.

She took a monotone as she laughed and copied Lucette's speaking style, "Ohhohohoho. Mr.Demetrius, why don't you feast your eyes upon my divine physical form comparable to a Goddess? My beauty surpasses even than my own titanic ego. I do say I require immense and immediate attention good sir Demetrius. Look at me please or I will say something foolish to attract your attention.. Very foolish, truly foolish, indeed, indubitably, undeniably! I don't know when to quit running my mouth, please assist my stalwart compatriot Mr.Demetrius! Help me design a line of new uniforms that incorporates a design of my gorgeous awe-inspiring magic face upon each article of clothing they wear. This way they will never forget I am watching and judging them. I am a tiny little woman with poor eye-sight, can't you see I am compensating for that?" Lowe was puzzled by the whole thing but amused none the less.

He let out a grin and clapped lightly. "Well..Guess you had your say on her. A different interpretation than I expected. Wow, first time you've cracked anything resembling a joke in years? But you know that part about you looking good, I think that could apply to you Carla I mean but without the huge ego part of it....Uhhh, any other jokes or anything you got??? I know you have some. Even in the Underworld, you have to have a sense of humor. I remember that. It's nice to see a different side of you, you know. People just think you're like an unstoppable machine devoid of emotion. You show it to me but not the others, why?"

"No more. Do not mention this to the others, ever. I require their utmost respect. Let's go, Lowe and I will hold you to that. You must promise." Carla seemed very serious now as she demanded Lowe promise not to bring it up again. She truly wanted to keep it a secret despite how silly it may have seemed.

Lowe laughed at the whole scenario as Carla began acting more like her old self,"Awwww Carla. Ok I promise! Heh, you know you were enjoying that too! Well..Guess you do have that image to uphold being a Lieutenant Commander.. Ok, now I am ready..The cafe does sound pretty good."

The two of them departed from the harbor, biding farewell to the salty sea air, the various boats and of course the ocean itself. At least now they had the time to enjoy it. Despite how miserable and disturbing the things they saw today were, life had to go on. Lowe was no longer weighed down into the depths of despair due to the deaths of his comrades.

Edward had not found much to do in the city. There was always a merchant here to sell you something but it felt so disconnected from the events happening around them. Shintaion had taken a nose dive everywhere else making all the surroundings seem foreign. Madesi had not said anything since they had entered the city and it was starting to be a bit bothersome. Instead of asking her for any input Edward had just diverted their paths to less traveled sections of Azull. Primarily this meant they were going to walk the outskirts, the one place in this world practically untouched by civilization and its technology. "Interesting isn't it?"
"What is?"
"That despite all the efforts of everyone's self destruction there is life still left, good life. A life only seen in dreams." Edward could not help but admire some of the natural beauty left around Azull. Coltier was nothing like this, the mountains remained but it was desolate and deprived. The once lively ash that had surrounded it ever so long ago had the cries of the dead in it rather than the snow of a new life. "Time fixes most things." He mumbled to himself. It was then he noticed a person of interest. There were sounds of a struggle, upon actually looking at the source Edward had found Noe facing off against some woman. It looked like she was not doing all too well. Her opponent had her where she wanted her, and then came the crushing blow to her face. She was sent to her knees as she seemed to change.

"If you're going to die, die as yourself, not as some broken bitch!" She started walking towards her once more, preparing a final blow.

It was apparent that her opponent knew her in some way, however, Edward begged to disagree as he shot off toward the fight. "Broken? Heh heh heh, mad'am are you blind? Strike now and you will most surely wind up in a world of pain. This instinct she has, I have seen it before and in a moment of desperation she will lose control to another, one that would get the job done. Isn't that right? Noe?" Edward gave a smile to her as he turned back to her mother. She seemed furious at Edward for intervening. He merely smiled that sinister smile. "Give her the chance and she will overcome it. One personality with another, with enough thought and training put into it, she can become even stronger than most I see around today. Although, I need her alive for that. What do you say? You seem to care about power, should I help? Or must I demonstrate what powers I own?"

Noe's mother turned to face Edward, a scowl upon her face.

"And who do you think you are, to interrupt a fight such as this?"

She began to walk towards him, folding her arms confidently.

"I know all about what she can and can't do, intruder, rest assured. Raising her for most of her life? I'm no idiot as to what she is..."

She made it to Edward and gripped his shoulder tightly, bringing her head to his ear, whispering into it venomously.

"I know all about those others in her...Do you think I care about them, that I fear them? All she is now is a shard of what she should be, and that's all she'll ever be. I'll end her suffering now, and I won't have you stopping me...Not now, not ever. Now leave, or watch if you will...This is a private matter, and your presence is not needed."

Noe's father watched Edward like a hawk as her mother turned her back to him, swiftly walking back to Noe, cracking her knuckles threateningly.

"It's time to end this charade and free you from this, girl!"

Abscus,Kenelm

Kenelm was the Abscus capital and it was located on the east coast of Abscus, thus making it the closet city to Azull. It also had a harbor yet it still paled in comparison to the harbor of Azull. The water around Kenelm was not quite a clean shade of blue like Azull's. The refuse from Kenelm's infamous factory district being to blame for that.

The city of Kenelm was more organized than most, broke up into several districts each with their own purpose.

Kenelm was the most well maintained city of them all in Abscus. The only city that was not touched directly by the bombs as a matter of fact. It was truly a city defined by science and production. The top engineers, researchers and scientists in the ALF lived here and were constantly trying to either resurrect old technology or create new technology itself. They were willing to experiment with anything and there weren't many laws or regulations at all to stop them. Ethics, labor laws and things of that sort did not exist here unlike Shintaion and Lavion. This meant unlimited potential but at what cost?

Yet only the slaves felt the toll. They were expendables, usually the ones taken for any experiments that needed live specimens or anything too dangerous. The slaves with the courage to fight the ALF with legal action were just given the run-around, they would never find out what happened to their missing friends, family and loved ones. They were lesser races, they just had to deal with it. It was not a city of justice and compassion, it was a city hell bent on the pursuit of knowledge no matter what was to be sacrificed!!

Despite this ugly truth to it. It was a rather glamorous city, aside from a few sides of it that were...grimy. The factory district for one, where slaves and some working machines assembled the weapons and other equipment for the war effort. The smoke from the factories polluted the air in some regions of the city. The slaves were stuck living in that foul part of the city. They barley had homes, just little shacks compared to the mansions and estates of the other sections of the city. This factory district consisted of mostly shacks and factories with one or two markets, there was little purpose for anything else to be located within it. People never would forget the rancid smell of the factory district.

The rest of the city though was extremely upscale and rather advanced. There were proper roads everywhere, residents had access to clean food and water much more easily than other cities. There was an official ALF police force that enforced the laws of the land. They primarily just kept the "trash" out of the nicer parts of the city. The slaves and the poor were to live in the factory district and never to leave unless they had an ALF pass or were sold somewhere else in Abscus.

Truly the research district was the crown jewel of the city. It lived up to the city's new creed of building whatever weaponry it took to keep the city safe from enemies abroad, domestic threats like rebellious slaves and monsters. The research district consisted of several lab facilities, military bases and several security check points to deal with potential spies. They could not have such research falling into the hands of the OOA or ABC.

The beauty of the city was condensed into the residential district. You could find mansions, large estates, beautiful homes where you could live like royalty..If you had the money that is. Restaurants that served the most mouth watering dishes, beautiful gardens, a horse racing track, fountains of clear pure water! It was even home to the Hall of Kenelm, the meeting site of the ALF's congress and president. A large structure that had immense seats and belonged to the last government. They held meetings over legislation, the war and other issues that required a vote to pass.

Lastly, inside this district was the President's luxurious castle; Fort Brunhild, it was almost an ancient castle that dated back many years into the past of the world. It was refurbished and modernized every now and then throughout the years. It had been abandoned until President Alva decided to use it as a personal residence for himself and his family. It was now even more glorious than before. It had a lavish courtyard, a large statue of President Alva in front of its grand doors and a large balcony so one could look down on such beautiful sights from above.

It was here at this prestigious estate that a speech was about to take place. The Abscus Liberation Federation was no longer able to see the ABC forces as one big joke anymore. They were a legitimate threat to them now. President Alva recognized that. He was about to speak about the war and other developments.

The President was an older human man. He looked to be in his late fifties or so and stood at an average height. His blonde hair was turning gray and it was clear the stress of its job did take its toll. He was rather thin but healthy, he clearly had no issues finding food being the president! He was dressed in a tuxedo as he stood at the podium. He had a grin on his face, to the untrained eye it was just a silly one. To those who knew him, it was since he had total control of these people. They bought every word that came out of his mouth no matter how much bullshit it was.

His charisma could make them do almost anything he wanted. He did have critics and political opponents but he kept he never invited them or gave them the chance to speak out. He just needed to fire them up for the war effort to help build support for it. That was his goal right now. His wife, an elf sat directly behind him with their three daughters. The speech was also apparently being broadcast on the radio.

"Fellow citizens of Abscus! It is I, President Alva. I come to you today to inform you of the situation about the war effort. Our brave freedom fighters are meeting fierce resistance but we will not yield! There is too much at stake today. The ones we love, the homeland we cherish, the values of the old world!! You know when I was but a young lad..I had nothing, nothing but a dream. To aspire to greatness, to become the president of Abscus first and then..the world! So we can all achieve our dreams! We can move the future forward with innovative technology! The future is here and it is the ALF!!!"

The crowd clapped like a bunch of drones. Riggs was one of the few who did not. He did not even wish to be attending the speech. He saw it was one big farce. He was sitting there right behind the President as an unwilling guest of honor. He could not relate to these people. Most in the room never saw a battlefield in their entire lives.

"A world that has the values of the old. But think, who or what put us here? Who is the enemy? Well, as you know it was the Dark Beasts and the bombs.. Many people suffered because of them both. Like little Jenny here..Poor little girl lost her parents in the war with those monsters..Thanks to a generous donation from myself..She has found a loving home and got back on her feet.. She's going to become a researcher, just like her mama before her. She's proud of you, Jenny..We all are..Abscus pride. You are living proof of the power of our glorious country! Of the ALF! The future of our entire world lies within the ALF!" He motioned to the crowd and the paid actor stood up. A little elf girl about fourteen years old. Once again the crowd clapped, never questioning the legitimacy of the story. She came up near the podium and the President put his arm around her.

"You might think those awful creatures went extinct. Dark Beasts. But no...They walk among us even now.. Horrible creatures..And who should harbor these monsters? Shintaion and those so called neutrals in Lavion! We've got proof of it, a high ranking ABC member is a Dark Beast! And then there was the City of Warriors incident, where retreating ALF freedom fighters were mercilessly killed by a dark beast the ABC unleashed upon us! They broke the seal on the creature just to kill us. They are willing to unleash Hell on our planet just to win the war?!!! What sort of world will they shape?! What will they do to our world? Ten more years of war, twenty? We must end this violence and bring order to this chaotic world! We must find peace! So kids like Jenny...can have a future too..It's not just us..It's the next generation effected by this! We have to think of our future! We need freedom now, order now! The ABC and the OOA hate the order we bring! They just want to play politics and live like royals while the citizens suffer and starve!"

Colonel Riggs resisted the urge to storm out as he kept his thoughts to himself. "Who the hell does he think he is? Telling that bullshit propaganda! Making a mockery of the deaths of my men!!! He can't tell the truth about the incident, no.. It'd lower his approval rating, it'd make people question the ALF!!! Questions that need to be raised! The science division just gets off free with assisting in the murders of so many..The men and women of my unit, the men and women on those boats...They all died as food for that abomination! Entertainment! And the President just uses them as material in his speech. They'll be forgotten.. Just written off as another heroic sacrifice for the good of the nation!"

"Now how do we protect our people, how do protect our free and just homeland of Abscus? With our knowledge and pride, the two strongest traits we as people of Abscus share! We challenge what is possible! We believe when no one else does! It is here where the poor can rise up from the bottom and become something truly great!! We don't give out insulting charity to the people like Zigus of the ABC, we don't brainwash our people like Lucia of the OOA with religion! We believe in freedom, a society with a government that protects the people! A nation of true heroes!Abscus Liberation Federation! A word that can give us all peace and reminds us there is still something right with this world. Something that we all have inside us! A gift..."

Colonel Riggs sighed as he got tired of the President's speech. "Get to the bloody point so I can take that useless piece of scrap metal and take off! This place doesn't suite me one bit!" He then began to zone out the speech. Finally after several more minutes he felt a tap on his shoulder and stood up.

"One such man has the gift inside him as well. The gift of courage! This my fellow citizens of Abscus, is a hero! A true Abscus hero! An ALF ace who we can never forget! Colonel Riggs V Hawke! I present to you this ALF national medal of heroism for your deeds of fighting off the dark beast..even after your unit was wiped out..you stood and fought alone while the other factions left you to die..You single handily fended off that menace! I salute you, Colonel!"
He saluted the Colonel and handed him a medal that he promptly put on. They then shook hands and Colonel Riggs sat back down, hiding how angry he was with having to lie about the truth.

He thought to himself, "That's it? Just a medal? I'm just a part of your propaganda story? What about the truth, the men and women who died? Where are their medals, their memorial and funerals?!! What's gonna happen to their families and relatives?!!! My comrades..They were more to me than that! I don't have any family, nor a wife or children. There's nothing here for me in this city. I am not content with retiring at the age of thirty seven! The ace of the ALF retiring after the deaths of his entire unit..It can't end like this!!! I won't let it....I don't want to go along with this fool-hardy plan! I am an proud Abscus fighter, an ace, not a political puppet to be used for Alva's gain!!!!"

"All of this bullshit just to prevent a civil conflict with the science division he says.. So they get away with killing my men thanks to their negligence and greed! That old water beast..I should have listened to him...Then this tragedy never would have happened...I can't believe I'm doing this. Getting a medal for running away from a battle. I can't do it any longer!"
He was unable to contain himself at this point, he stormed out of the speech promptly.

Being interrupted mid speech, President Alva awkwardly said, 'Uhhh...Well..Ummm...Hmmm...I-" A political handler then whispered into his ears, "Oh, well some fear reaction to the word Dark Beast, it is still fresh in his mind. He couldn't stay because of that. Ahem. Well people of Abscus, we can rise above all challenges and we will! We will take this war to them and show them we are strong, we can save those in Shintaion and Lavion from themselves! We can bring them the order they need to truly experience freedom! It is not a war, it is a mission for the sake of the world!!! The very future of it is at stake..Can I count on you all to join me as we march and make our stand?"

The crowd clapped vigorously. They were eating out of the palm of the president's hand. His approval rating was definitely going to go up after this display. Riggs was not one of them as he had left, he was leaving the castle right now.

Before he could step out though entirely, he heard his radio turn on and a distorted voice speaking. He grabbed the radio and began to listen to it before responding, "How the hell did you get this frequency? What's that? What's in it for me? I've lost the will to carry o-what? you mean....You could do that? An audience with the president? Could I get him...to say the truth about my unit eventually? Well...Under your terms I'd gladly return as the Legend of the ALF once again! But not for the glory, no. I will fight for them. For Thea, Brom, Benedict, Alys...ALL OF MY UNIT! EVERY LAST SOUL! I swear on my life I will avenge them! Those scientists whom tried to control Dark Bogan...They will pay...I don't need money, exposing them and killing that abomination is all I want now. When is the soonest you can assign me to this new ALF unit? I really am looking forward to it."

For this moment, he had let his emotions decide his current path. He wasn't content with living in shame, in knowing he ran from Dark Bogan while the others fought it. He had to honor his comrades and this was the only way he knew how. He didn't care if he was being used by those whom called him, he was going to get what he wanted out of it in the end or so he believed.

"Fools." Edward said concentrating his powers on the woman. Her husband seemed to notice this and went in however, he was blocked by Madesi coming in to help. Before she knew it, Noe's mother was caught in Edward's power.

The darkness of the mind started to give way to features. In the distance mountains formed and closer the trees started to spring up. The frozen aspect to it all reminded Edward of the jungle they had just been in. This was the City of Warriors, before it had succumb to the darkness of the world today. In the middle of the image was the woman he had targeted. Her mind constantly thought of her home back in the day. She turned toward him and started a rush.
"Get out of my head!" She said raising her arm for a punch. Edward only smiled as he let her continue. She was closed in for a strike and drew her arm back as she opted out for a kick. She thought it would put him off guard but he simply disappeared and reappeared behind her.
"For a warrior you certainly are inadequate. Come now, that was to be expected and most certainly you would not attack an illusion like that." He drew in some power from the surrounding dream and manifested it into a dark energy ball. "Now let's see if you can take some of your past." He released the energy and the woman quickly blocked. There was a direct hit but the ball did little to no damage. Edward could not help but smile once again. "I admit I give you credit for having a certain control over your own thoughts as all warriors should, yet, I cannot help but realize how dull it is in here. Surely your mind is more interesting than this barbaric existence." She got angry and charged at him again. This time it was different, the dream had reacted to her. The ground was warped but she kept going. Gravity seemed to shift back and forth and the former floor shot up in unstable portions. As the gravity seemed to shift all the way upside down she landed a heavy punch in Edward's face. He was catapulted upward, or rather now downward as the gravity finally shifted entirely.

He landed with no grace his back smashing into the ground. His body started to morph into the creature he was as she landed perfectly near him. Once he got up the scenery had changed. The trees had been burnt to a cinder, the floor was crusted in ash, and the sky had been replaced with the city they had been fighting upon. This was truly new, a side that she held on the other side of the coin. They had started in a beautiful lush land but now no matter how hard anyone could try getting back to it was impossible.
"Weaklings, you are all weaklings!" The ashen land kicked up a wind, what would be beautiful flower petals were the pieces of ash being kicked up.
"I feel sorry for you, but killing someone just because they do not match your lifestyle is something I cannot agree with. " He raised his hands as he took over this nightmare, her weaknesses exposed. Tendrils of black shot out of the ash around her and grabbed hold of the would-be warrior. She could not move as she was brought towards him. "I do not wish to bring anymore pain to your mind, but I must make sure you stop attacking my comrade." He lifted one of his claws and scratched her along the cheek. Suddenly the dream started to rumble, her darkest nightmares were about to awaken. From the shadows millions of dark beasts were staring, what she believed the destroyers of her land. None of them were attacking though, all of them waited as a figure from afar was walking in. It was covered in blood but it was a girl, it was Noe. Her mother could only scream as she watched this nightmare unfold. With one motion of her hand the dark beasts leapt out and came in for an attack. "I will end this manifestation, you have been damaged enough." With that Edward dissolved and so did the nightmare, however, the thoughts would still linger.

He stepped back a few feet as Noe's mother had gripped her head as if suffering from a migraine. Madesi had somewhat subdued her father. He broke free of her running toward Edward's target. "Come on Noe, we may have time to run around but we'll soon be briefed on a new arrival. I heard a few talking it over on the way here." Edward offered his hand to Noe. "Do not worry about them, they will recover in due time."

Mach and Ina had been milling through the streets of Azull for some time now searching mostly through bookstores to see if they could find either books on the mixing of technology and magic (as there had to be someone who had tried before) or books pertaining the the technology of the cannon. They knew that both of these were a long shot but they didn't have much else to do other then cause possible mischief, and it as probably better that they didn't do that in the city.

The twins had been searching for several hours and hadn't had much luck. They'd begun in the higher class of the town and had worked their way slowly down into the less welcoming part. Mach and Ina were making their way through an alley that looked the inconspicuous playing with their magic as they went and inadvertently tripped a magic switch that revealed a hidden shop that looked ancient.
They both gasped slightly in surprise, gave each other a look and entreated the shop full of curiosity and adventure. With child-like demeanor they didn't bother looking for someone who was running the shop but rather poked, prodded, and touched everything they could get their hands on. It was only a matter of time that their ruckus would no longer become unnoticed as a figure arose from between the mystic knick knacks and treasures.

It soon descended upon Ina who was investigating some kind of ancient cannon who's presence she felt the moment before she was pounced on and in being startled accidentally fired the cannon blasting her magic through it launching the would-be assailant into the opposing wall. It slumped over momentarily before it materialized into a being now being knocked unconscious. It had turned out to be an elf! The reason he had attacked her was uncertain but around his right forearm was a band that was glowing steadily as it faded. This piqued Ina's interest and she took it off of the man and attempted to use it herself to figure out it's properties but was unsuccessful.

At this same time Mach had been investigating some ancient swords he'd found when a strange light had glinted off a sword and he rolled to one side before being smashed with whatever that light source was coming from. He turned to face his attacker and was almost blinded from the light source. He immediately shut his eyes as they were of no use to him and braced for an attack as he drew his sword. He had to rely on his other senses to win this battle and did what he could to dodge and block the incoming blows whilst tripping over objects behind him. Mach eventually had fallen and with one last hope thrust his sword forward in a last ditch effort to save himself and was greeted with a scream that sounded like broken glass.

In front of him a woman had come into focus with shards of mirror laid around her, Mach had been lucky and pierced her chest causing her to submit to his sword. Around her neck was a necklace that was slowly pulsating and was most likely the cause of her ability. Mach retrieved this from her and began to fiddle with it not having any success. At this time Ina who had just finished her opponent ran to where she heard the scream and found Mach unharmed.

They looked at each other still somewhat frightened from their ordeals but thankful they were both all right. "I found this on her body" he said motioning to the necklace he was holding. "I found this on a man who attacked me as well" she copied his motions "I haven't had much luck with it though." "Neither have I" Mach replied. "Care to swap?" "Sure" Ina spoke, smiling, excited to look at a new item. Once exchanged the items that had been pulsating took on a steady glow and then disappeared as they reached new owners. The twins exchanged glances, smiled at each other and hung on to the new items they found, knowing that in someway they would benefit them. Not wanting to stick around the bodies the two ahead out of the shop and made their way back towards the ABC.

Lucette was still busy planning to size up her her future comrades as she made her way out of the bad side of the city. Quite a few eye were still on her but she used to attracting attention. She made sure not to speak aloud as she contemplated her options further. "Little Mrs.Lasereve Noe and the Mercenary. Oh my, she has family here. I may be serious but I know not to risk interfering with that after a difficult battle. As for Edward the Mercenary. His power is not one I can safely experience regardless. That would require field testing. A shame. Perhaps I shall move onto the Twins for now and wait for opportunities for the others. For now it is time to seek them out and anything else this city has to offer me."

Being rather out of options, she descended upon the marketplace. Strutting about as if she owned the whole place. She did not hesitate to raid the clothing stores first. With so much money to throw around high prices were of no concern to her. She purchased some gloves that matched her uniform and walked out of one store. She then went into a bookstore to check it out and was rather shocked by the type of novels she saw in the romance section.

She read off several book titles out loud,"The willing slave? Keeping it in the Family? Forbidden Forbidden Love? Who writes this rubbish forsaken by the gods!!! This lewdness is unbecoming and most disturbing if it gives people ideas. People must learn to control their pleasures, not let them run loose like in these poor excuses for literature!!!!! Even if the world ended, we are not animals who must indulge in such behaviors due to inescapable instinct! Oh my..I cannot read anymore of this. Why would you write THAT? That is eons beyond perverse! That is grotesque and the sign of a disturbed individual to derive pleasure from THAT... Where are the real novels, the ones with quality and wit instead of twisted shock value and imagery?! This is not the romance section any longer, it is the sick and twisted fantasy section!!!!An assault upon the minds of all who read this filth!" She drew the attention of several in the store. It was unclear if they were offended or perhaps even embarrassed as some of them were standing right next to her.

Without hesitation she walked up to shop keeper and told her, "Madam, I will gladly buy up all these substandard books so none may be exposed to their mindless and perverse drivel! I will have them tossed into a fireplace so they be burnt to ashes! My estate will handle matters. While it is certain many great writers have died, we still must have standards and strive for the best writing! May I suggest you buy more from Patricia W Henderson? Now she knows how to write a romance novel! Astounding characters, a well rounded plot and no need for overly lewd or perverse scenes! Love in reality is not so disgusting or tainted as it is in these other books! I'm not trying to ruin or intrude upon your business madam but I simply cannot let this stand!"

The shop keeper was caught off guard but said, "I-i-i-i...Will think about it.. But I'd need to see money first." "Fair enough.. Associates from my estate will handle that. For now, I must depart, good day madam! It is a nice store aside from that one unsavory section!" Lucette left once again not concerned or worried about what she did. She did it in a manner she thought was polite.

She then saw a lone light beast priestess seeking donations to the local Arlon shrine. Azull's must have been quite small and well hidden or forgotten. She sat there with a donation box and a small statue of Arlon. He looked like an formidable yet kind forbidden beast with grey skin. The priestess herself looked to be very young, younger than Lucette. Perhaps around sixteen. Lucette stopped as she looked at the donation box. She guessed it was rather empty and was quite right.

This Arlon was an ancient and almost god-like forbidden beast. He was said to be the leader of the entire race long ago. He was thought to be the reason for such long lasting peace in the world as he had been an amazing leader in life to his people. His death was a mysterious one but he left his children with the words that he would watch over the world even if he passed on and would return to it one day. Not just over forbidden beasts but the whole world. He became a mythical figure, some believe Arlon is nothing but a fantasy as there is little evidence of his existence while others believe he may return one day when the world is in need of a savior. Of course, after the bombs dropped, it caused quite countless worshipers to lose faith. If Arlon was truly watching the world, why would he have let that war happen? A question no one could quite answer.

Most people whom were extremely religious went to live in in OOA territory. Yet some viewed the OOA as psychotic extremists whom made religion look a twisted tool to justify war. Lucia was just someone whom wanted to be a Goddess instead of truly helping and bettering the world. At least the followers of this local shrine tried to help Azull's citizens to the best of their abilities with funds from donations. These services are perhaps the only things that kept the shrine alive with so much people losing faith.

Lucette dropped seven hundred gold coins into the donation box making sure the priestess saw it as she finally decided to do so. "Thank so much!" The priestess exclaimed looking very happy.

"It is nothing short of pocket change for me. I am glad it will be put to good use. In times like this, the people need guidance and we all need to do our part to help those in need. I am a believer in Arlon myself. I can thank my mother for raising me in a proper and prim manner."
Lucette smiled at the priestess, perhaps reminded of her time serving her local shrine before the war started.

Before she could move on however, an irate demon began to yell at the priestess, "HEY! How do we know it's going where it needs to go? How do we know you're not some sultry street walker taking the money for herself? Arlon is a scam!!! He didn't come when we needed him, none of the Gods really exist in this world! They were just things people made up to explain how the world works and-"

Casually, Lucette walked up to the demon, taking off her glove and slapping him with it right on the face. "Silence, you ungrateful mongrel! This is Shintaion! Not Teros where you must believe and worship to live there, not Abscus where religion is dismissed as having no scientific basis! Choice, choosing what you desire to believe in. That's a freedom offered in Shintaion and Lavion! No other places in the world have it. If you spoke out against Arlon in the OOA, you'd be killed on sight for saying such a thing! Do consider she is merely trying her best, to just accuse her is wrong. You are entitled to your own beliefs but you must express them in a respectful manner! Hmph!"

"Calling a lady of faith a prostitute without any proof is more than unbecoming, it is asking for trouble! As an ambassador of Lavion, I cannot let this stand! Now, what would a gentlemen do in this situation? Will this help refresh your memory? This is what they do to you in those other countries! Now do you appreciate your freedom?"
She quickly created a musket of light energy and walked right up to the demon and aimed it at his neck.

The demon was dumb-founded and quite intimidated by Lucette. Of course her words weren't enough to change his mind on the issues but seeing her musket certainly scared him straight. "Uhh...S-s-s-so sorry ma'am. I didn't mean it. I'm just angry at the way things have been going lately.. Yeah...just angry at the way things have been going...I..don't like things going this way..." He eyed Lucette's musket as she grinned at him. He quickly backed off and ran away. She laughed loudly and proudly as he ran with his tail between his legs.

The on-lookers and those passing by were puzzled by how the situation unfolded. They made the right choice not getting involved as Lucette handled it fine by herself. Fine by her standards but perhaps seen as a bit too forceful. She flaunted her power around without hesitation. There was nothing subtle about her it seemed. She put her glove back on and said goodbye to the priestess before moving on.

"Those twins. I should find them next. But where? That is the question. Intellectuals like scientific minded people are harder to figure out than average soldiers. Yet still very much within my power to discover. Ohohoh. There is still time to seize the day and seize it I shall! I like this place. It's never a dull moment. If this is just the start, I simply cannot wait to see the denouement! Ohohoh."
She thought to herself as she truly began her search.

Status
Not open for further replies.