I Write Like...

I give up. The only time I got anything different was when I wrote something in first person.

At first I kept consistently getting Anne Rice for two roleplays. I then started getting Dan Brown in another roleplay sssoo -shrugs-

Oscar Wilde and George Takei.

Ok, ok, so I made up the George Takei part. It's just every time I try to do an Oscar Wilde impression, it sounds like George Takei. /lovable scamp

Oh my~

Dan Brown (6 times)
H.P Lovecraft (4 times)
Robert frost (For my poetry 3 times.)

I never read any of Dan Brown's works to be honest. I do not write half as good as H.P Lovecraft...And I wish I was as good as Robert frost Lol.

^____________________^

w.png
I write like
Charles Dickens
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

For stuff in prose, this is what I got:
L. Frank Baum (1): . . . Odd because I never really thought about writing for children, oh well.
Vladimir Nabokov (1): Lolita was disturbing, but practically poetic at some parts. I'll take it as a compliment.
H.P. Lovecraft (1): This one was in the first person, which I almost never do.
Leo Tolstoy (1): One of the few prose pieces I'd written not for a role play or something related to a story. Hmph. People must find me painfully long-winded.

Poetry:
Stephen King (4): Born is the Primadonna. Fear her, feaaaaar her! >:D Also, my poetry appears worthy of making scary movies when I'm angry. Good to know, good to know.
Kurt Vonnegut (2): Well, they were satirical poems. *Shrugs*
Arthur Clark (4): . . . I'm not all that crazy about science fiction, but oh well.
David Foster Wallace (6): . . . It would be nice if I'd ever read any of his work.
Jame's Joyce (5): Never read any of his work.
Edgar Allen Poe (1): Oh look, a poet! One who I like, too!
Jack London (1): . . . Never heard of him.
Mark Twain (1): So that's what happens when I get ghetto with my poetry. Gurl, please.
Chuck Palahniuk (2): . . . Is this thing broken? Since when did I frickin' write a poem like Fight Club?!?
Anne Rice (1): Oh wow, a female author. Finally.
H.P. Lovecraft (1): Oh well.
Arthur Conan Doyle (1): My poems aren't particularly evocative of Sherlock Holmes, I would say.
Margaret Atwood (3): Y'know, a Canadian writer to cool down this America-fest. Goodness.
Leo Tolstoy (1): Never read his work, unfortunately. My school used to teach Anna Karenina, but they replaced it with Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

I'll come back to prose later. Watchin' a movie with my Mom.

Because I like to break the everliving fuck out of things like this, I put in a ridiculous amount of my posts to see how it would stand up under thorough testing.

The results for the bulk of my prose: an overwhelming majority of James Joyce (19 posts) and William Gibson (12 posts), as well as Stephen King when I write lazily or when I'm doing horror (39) and Cory Doctorow (23) when I'm writing casual RP posts or writing in my own voice.

I also got quite a few hits each for Margaret Atwood, Anne Rice, Arthur Clarke, J.D. Salinger, David Foster Wallace, Chuck Palahniuk, J.K. Rowling, H.P. Lovecraft, Ian Fleming, Leo Tolstoy, Kurt Vonnegut, and Vladimir Nabokov. Ian Fleming tended to show up for my action scenes, and Chuck Palahniuk and Tolstoy for my more descriptive posts. Anne Rice tended to come up whenever I wrote anything remotely referring to kissing or sensual stuff, so I'm wondering if that's just a flag they use for comparison. Salinger came up for a lot of my dialogue-heavy posts.

I also noticed that certain characters I wrote ended up consistently in one style. For example, the overall results for my posts from Penumbra (an old horror RP of mine) came up as Stephen King. But my Penumbra character Danielle (one of three characters I used) came up every time as J.K. Rowling.
One particular monster from Penumbra read as Vladimir Nabokov. Another character of mine from a fractured fairytale RP, Roland, was always Mario Puzo despite my narrative posts from the same RP coming up as L. Frank Baum. And my posts from the Hitchhiker's Guide roleplay registered as Douglas Adams, so fuck yeah.

Another thing I noticed was that putting in really sparse, lazy posts (what I would consider my worst posts) came up as Dan Brown. (That seems about right.)

Kind of interesting when all's said and done. I'd say that while it did throw random things out there now and then, it did show up broadly as the same four writers across many different genres and RPs and characters. There was also a solid chunk of the same "second-tier" group of writers, what I guess could be attributed as "influences" rather than overall style. So while putting in a handful of posts might not be a good indicator, you can probably trust it to be on to something when you get upwards of ten hits for the same author.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go write the next Ulysses/Neuromancer/Salem's Lot/whatever the fuck it is Doctorow has written. :U

EDIT: I tried putting in THIS POST, and got James Joyce again.

Anne Rice. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Edit; James Joyce, too.

Most frequent were David Foster Wallace, Douglas Adams, Stephen King, and William Gibson. Generally, it was just a flat out hodge podge of authors. I might do a more thorough test like Ossochanter in a bit. I just randomly selected a bunch of works ranging from stuff I'm proud of to just utter garbage that I needed to write down to get out of my head.

Just a heads up, I found this generator a couple years back and it wasn't as broad a spectrum of authors as it is now. In the article it said that the creators were going to analyze more writers/authors to make the thing more accurate. I don't know how far or detailed they've gotten but I figured I'd let you guys know.

I'm surprised some of you are taking it so seriously. O.O

Like I said, Zen, I basically set out to see how accurate this thing was and whether or not it could be broken. So. XD Not exactly serious in one sense?

I think the main reason why I'm interested in it is so I can find authors with similar writing styles to read. It'd be interesting to actually see how accurate this thing is.

The actual analysis isn't too difficult to do. It's essentially a lot of scanning or gathering of works that have already been typed out and using a program that breaks up everything into word counts. (My experience, however, is restricted to Mathematica and not C++, C#, etc.) Word counts alone only show if the comparing author shares a similar core writing vocabulary. Word distribution and neighbor analysis takes it one step further, which is simplistic enough as well but depends entirely on the 'depth' of the scan. A detector for sentences (essentially something that detects a period or a semi-colon) could make the depth set and scan a whole sentence to show frequent pairings or phrasings.

Overall, the most difficult part of that project isn't so much the coding, it's getting the material. It'd probably be a fairly interesting project to work on, to be honest. Coming from the mathematical side, I'm interested in this as well because my stomping grounds are integer sequences. Sequences of numbers could easily be generated from this type of analysis. If a sequence is generated, then there's a potential for patterns to arise. This could show that despite an author using a varied vocabulary and a broad set of literary tools, the author is, in fact, being repetitious.

-shrugs- Just my two cents.

Apparently I write like Neil Gaiman.

I wonder what sort of code this runs and what it checks on.

I've gotten Neil Gaiman and David Foster Wallace - both very high compliments!

I analyzed both a story I started writing and a post from a past RP and got Stephen King both times.

I got Shakespeare ( o_O ), Dan Brown, and J. R. R. Tolkien 3 times (very happy about this XD)