1. Speed of Light
Writing Levels
  1. Beginner
  2. Elementary
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Fantasy, Romance, Sci-Fi
NOTE: I wrote this piece a long time ago, overwhelmed by the future. I sat at my desk and I started to think. Something was about to happen, and I wanted to make sure I was at the ready with my pen. I hope you enjoy!

As the world flashes by, and my life along with it, I would like to stop and ponder, if you don't mind, about something that hides in my heart.

As soon as I see those two lines, my world starts to change before me. Change into something foreign and exciting. Daunting and lovely.

While I lay disheveled in bed, I wonder…
  • Will your eyes look like drops of honey? Will they gaze upon the earth with determination? Or will they hide in timidness?
  • What will you look like when you hear lullabies? Will you bounce up and down with a silly gummy grin? Will you sway your head as you discover how beautiful melodies and instruments are?
We enter the hospital. Frantic. Panic. Screams of pain and cries of fear for the unknown. Clutching the love of my life's hand, I tell her to keep it together when I'm barely doing so myself. This was not really words of encouragement for her, but rather myself. Under those blinding beams, I wonder…
  • Will you bounce and spin at the idea of Dad telling you to come help him prank Mom? Am I going to find myself soaked in water from water guns after Mom planned her revenge alongside her devious sidekick? (you traitor!)
  • Will you love the way ladybugs approach your kind spirit, inviting you into their world? Will you giggle in raucous glee, scrunching up your face? Or will you scramble away in horror, begging for your parents to kill the beast?
I hold you close to me, tapping your back and singing songs of the wandering Scotsman. As we sit there in tranquility, I wonder…
  • Will you hate the fact that I always spend my mornings in front of the TV watching soccer, rooting and screaming for a team of people who will never know nor care about my existence?
  • Will you hate the fact that I'll play the same stupid song I know on the guitar over and over again? Or will you find beauty in it, much like I find beauty in playing that song?
I'm holding your shaky tiny hand as we walk to your first day of school. As we pass the doors, you immediately latch to my leg and beg not to leave. As the ladies from the front office try to pry you off, I wonder…
  • Will you sing your heart out at the hands of an instrument? Will I get to stand by your room with a smile on my face, knowing that music takes you to a far off land, free from the worries of reality?
  • Or will we get to see you up on stage as you create and immerse us into a world created by your infinite imagination? Will I get to throw flowers at the conclusion of your performance?
You walk across the stage and pose for your picture. As I'm clapping and whistling with tears streaming down my face, I wonder…
  • Will you stand up and bang the pot at the sight of injustice? Will you fight with those whose voices have been silenced and pounded into the earth?
  • Will you use your knowledge and soul to arm yourself against the cruel evils of the world? Will you be the voice of reason to those that are looking to you for help?
And when it's my time to go, and I'm laying in bed, your hand holding mine, I wonder...
  • Will you look to the sky to find me? Will you talk to the trees and flowers because you think my spirit lives and breathes within them?
  • Will you hold your children in the same way that I held you?
  • Will you think I did a good job?
Whatever will be, this I know to be true:
I'll love you through every struggle and success.
I'll wipe your tears for you and I'll never hesitate to hold you in a loving embrace.
You will be my sunshine, my rain in the Sonoran desert.
However you will be, you will always see "tears in my eyes".