I Need Some Help With a Decision Regarding Art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum My Possum

Fae-Touched
Original poster
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Looking for partners
Posting Speed
  1. One post per day
  2. 1-3 posts per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Hello, everyone!

I'm not sure if this is even in the right place, but, I really need some help.

So, I'm an "artist". I like to do all types of things, but I really want to get back into drawing.
I've drawn digitally before- using a mouse, and a tablet.
My tablet I currently have is broken- at least the pen is, I don't know about the tablet itself.

So, I can't use it- and, I've also had a really hard time with drawing on a tablet, since you have to look at the screen as you draw.
It's very difficult for me, since I'm used to drawing with pencil and paper.

However, I'd really like to draw digitally, since in the few pictures I've drawn using digital programs, I think they've come out better, and I personally like all the cool things I can do with the programs compared to pencil.

And I'm thinking of buying a Cintiq tablet, once I gather the money- because not only is it digital, but you can draw right on the screen.

And yes, before anyone says anything- I am what most would call a "beginner" with art- I've been drawing my whole life, but I'm not at a professional level, in anyone's opinion.
And I also know that getting this tablet will not improve my skills.

But please know that I won't buy this without thinking about it a lot.
I'll also use it and practice with it- since it's a lot of money we're talking about here...

Anyway, here's a link to my art page, in case anyone wants to take a look for their opinions:

http://machinegunlola.deviantart.com/

So, my big questions are as follows:

1- Should I buy a Cintiq tablet/Is it worth the money?

2- Is it easier to draw on one of them, compared to a regular tablet?

3- Which size should I get? *Note that I like to draw with a bigger canvas, since for some reason, I draw things really big.*

4- Should I get a 13 inch, a 24 inch, or the companion?
(I'm leaning towards the 24 inch or companion)

I'd love to be able to take it with me and draw wherever, which would be the Companion, but also I'd like to have a bigger size... BUTTTTT... I don't have a proper desk at the moment, and probably won't have one- well, I may just spend some on a desk for that... >>

ANYWAY.
I have a lot of things to consider here, and I apologize for pouring this on everyone, but any help would be appreciated!

Cintiqs are really needless unless you've started making a living off of your art. A lot of my favorite artist use the really affordable Bamboo tablets or the slightly less affordable Intuos line and do just fine. There's a difference between levels of tracking and pressure, but if you're drawing just as a hobby and not as a career then it's not that important.

Drawing on a tablet and drawing traditionally do feel different. I can't exactly explain how, but it does. I recommend doing a lot of both so you don't become dependent on the feel of one over the other.

I know there are a few even more affordable "off brand" (aka, non-Wacom) tablets on the market, of varying qualities. Apparently Monoprice is good, but I've heard complaints about the surface warping over time and becoming unusable.

Whichever tablet you decide on getting, try to go for one that has an available drawing size somewhere around 9 x 12 inches. That way, you'll have the least amount of distortion (like a small stoke on the surface equaling a big line on the screen and vise versa). Whatever size option that ends up being will depend on the model of tablet you go for.

Anyway, regardless of what tablet you get, make sure to get yourself a screen protector and lots of replacement nibs because if you practice a lot you'll be pissing through them like kleenex.

I hope this helps.

Many artists sketch with pencil and paper, and then 'ink' digitally, so don't scrap the old fashioned way just yet!

I'd learn to master your current tablet before you buy a new one; and practice lots with pencil and paper to improve your general skills. Using a tablet and drawing well are separate skills. Better equipment may eliminate some small irritations, but they do not a better artist make. What will help you improve is practice. Practice drawing with pencil, practice the tablet by tracing and googling tips and tutorials. A good way to learn to draw on a tablet is to start by tracing image outlines. When you look at pictures, try to look for the patterns and techniques the artists use (ie; using J or V shapes for wrinkles in fabric, the placement of shadows, etc). practice practice practice!

• Love
Reactions: Fijoli
I still draw a lot of my stuff by hand, scan it in, and then trace over it for finer lines with my tablet. So don't give up one over then other, use and practice with both. :)

I've never used the specific tablet you mentioned, but if you're still learning and experimenting with your personal style then you might want to consider starting out with a cheep one and being sure that it's really the direction you want to take your art before investing in something like a Cintiq.
You might also want to look into getting a new pen for your current tablet, sometimes those are replaceable.

The tablet I use is still a cheep hand-me-down from my brother (genius), and the pen is held together with electrical tape, but I don't know that I would be any happier, or do any better, with anything else. Note: my day job in as a graphic designer and I still insist on hanging on to the old thing :)

If you have friends with different brands you might ask to try theirs out too. How the pen feels while you work can also have an affect on what you decide you want to buy. You'll want something that feels comfortable to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.