I need some advice (RP Group Related)

P

Pangoblin

Original poster
Not that I've come across this before as of recently being on iwaku (thank any and every god) but I am wondering... What should I do/what should happen if you have a person in an rp group that consistently breaks the rules of your rp and you've repeatedly told them (politely) to follow them? And I mean, completely disregards the rules entirely/being an arse/plain disrespectful and causing drama with other group members.

I've never been in a position to kick any one out of an rp group (yet and hopefully never), but if something like any of the issues above do come rearing its ugly head, what am I to do? Do I go to a mod? (I dont mean to sound like a jerk/immature, but maybe its just me. But it feels like it may not be important enough to go to a mod/be reported and may come off as petty or being a snitch. I'm not saying that it is, or this is what other people think, or maybe some peeps do think that idk, just putting thoughts out there sorry D: )

Am I even allowed to kick someone out of the rp group? There's no option to add/remove rpers, but then again I typically make/have made rps that were open signups. Never made and invite only group, so maybe that has the option ¯\_(ಠ_ʖಠ )_/¯ The idea of an invite only group is very appealing to me as it gives me some sort of control to sort out who is or isn't a good fit for the rp and the group itself. But, at the same time, I do feel whenever I see an invite only, I feel nervous in joining, (nobody likes being rejected) and I don't wanna feel like I'm inadequate/not good enough if rejected, and I have a feeling that other people feel this as well and are more comfortable and confident with joining open signups. Or maybe I'm just projecting my emotions >_> Open signups give me (as group creator) some sort of control and layout the ground rules for the rp, but is open up enough for anyone to join and not hesitate to hop in. But, again, that's just how I personally feel ¯\_(o3o)_/¯

Sorry for the rambling, hopefully all of this makes sense ;w; It's just something I would like to know ahead of time so i'm not fumbling about if such a thing were to occur. I tried looking for an answer in the FAQ but either I missed it or it's not there. And sorry if this placed in the wrong thread >->

It's your roleplay. As such, members need to respect and follow your word and rules. If they are harassing you/other members of the group, you need to report them.

Reactions: Pangoblin
Firstly, yes, you are allowed to kick someone out of the RP. You are the GM and you make the rules.

If you kick a player out of the RP, but they refuse to leave, and they continue to harass the other members? Then you are well within your rights to report them to Security Staff.

• Useful
Definitely report them. Rude and disrespectful behavior and causing drama is not tolerated on Iwaku, no matter where it is. While you don't have specific controls for it, you are allowed to tell people to leave your RPs or reject them from joining and report it if they persist.

• Useful
Also, just to clear up one minor thing,

But, at the same time, I do feel whenever I see an invite only, I feel nervous in joining, (nobody likes being rejected) and I don't wanna feel like I'm inadequate/not good enough if rejected,

"Invite only" means that you can only join if the GM of that RP specifically invites you to join. You can't just walk into an invite only RP, submit a CS, and hope it gets accepted.

In fact, that process is actually how most open signups RPs work. "Open signups" doesn't mean "anyone can join and the GM can't prevent anyone from getting in." Open signups just means that, well, anyone is at least open to express their interest and submit a CS -- unlike a closed signups RP, where no new members are allowed in, and unlike an invite only RP, where the only people who can join have to be invited by the GM ahead of time. Even in an open signups RP, the GM is still allowed to reject a CS. Or kick a player out for any other reason. In fact, in just about every open signups RP I've ever seen, it's still made clear that the GM is allowed to practice some discretion in choosing who to accept, even if the GM rarely rejects anyone.

I'm pretty sure the only RP types that imply that the GM will be completely non-discriminatory in who gets to join, are the "no bios required" and "bio and jumpin" RPs. But I've never played in those RP types, so I might be wrong on that. O_o

• Love
  • Useful
Reactions: Pangoblin and Joan
On Iwaku, we do have a rule about breaking a roleplay's rules, as well!
Things are of course judged on a case by case basis but if, as the GM, you have trouble with something like this, you can report it.
A Game Master's word is Law. Please have respect for the owner of a roleplay.
A "Game Master" is the owner, creator, or thread starter of a roleplay. It is THEIR roleplay. Their personal vision is the most important thing. When you join their roleplay, you are agreeing to adhere by their rules and participate in a manner that accomplishes their goals. A Game Master has every right to kick a player out of their roleplay for any reason.
- Terms of Service and Rules | IwakuRoleplay.com

This link might also help you just for terms and stuff to take a look at. Open signups doesn't mean you have to accept anyone who expresses interest!
Roleplay 101 | IwakuRoleplay.com

There aren't prison rules, here ;) Snitches Get Stiches is not a thing. The report function exists so that you and everyone else has a healthy, safe and FUN environment to roleplay in :) Never be afraid to report rule breaking or even questionable behavior. The rules are there for a reason and anyone who chooses not to follow them needs to understand that that's not how Iwaku functions.

• Thank You
Looks like everyone answered most of your questions, but I'd just like to add as well that even in No Bios/Bio and Jump In roleplays, GMs can absolutely kick people out if they end up being rude, breaking rules the GM has set, or joining with a character that completely breaks the tone of the game (like joining as Nigel Thornberry in a serious fantasy setting. Which happened to me once, no joke). GM's word is law!