Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
Mr Gibs wants to start trying wines, and I know crap about wines. >:/ All I know is RED VS WHITE for cooking purposes. I dun drink the damn stuff.

So I would like some wine suggestions! O__O Wines and what kind of dindins they are good with! And what the hell are the differences between merlots and pinot grigios and chardonays and booblefucks. >>;;

Sorry, I'm Asian in nature. I drink a lot of Sake... But its mostly just sweeter versions of wine. XD

I have plenty of sake and other liquor experience. O____O Just be needin' dem wines!

-shakes stick of oppression!- And nobody come near me with any beers! D:< Yuck!

xD So, there is this one beer.....

Reactions: Oliver Queen
Whites: I like Rieslings, like Kung Fu Girl and Schmitt Sohne. Both are in the affordable/mid-range, and can be purchased online, or in most city/college town liquor stores. They're on the fruitier side, and not as dry as, say, a Chardonnay.

Reds: Toad Hollow and Ravenswood make some pretty badass wines: I'd suggest starting with something simple, like a merlot or a cabernet if you're new to wine. With most reds, like merlots, you'll notice more tannin in the flavor, which leaves that cotton-like feeling in the mouth, but merlots aren't super-super bad about this, a good starter red. Cabernets are a 'fruitier' red, and are also good starters, even less tannin than a merlot (usually).

Dirt Cheap Brands that are Still Good:

Big House Wine, Yellow Tail (I personally don't like chardonnay, but they do a good merlot and pinot), and Black Box. Also, a lot of people like to turn their noses up at those jugged wines, but Carlo Rossi isn't all that bad IMHO. You can get some decent wine at a good value, which is awesome if you're trying stuff for the first time. Worst case scenario? You hate it and just use it as a cooking wine. Or even take a crappy or so-so wine and turn it into a Sangria with chopped up fruit.

Pro-Tip: Go to the wine section, and try whatever is on sale for $5 a bottle. I've found some damn good (and damn horrible) wines that way.

There's also the super sweet 'dessert wines', like sherries and port, but baby steps.

Oh yeah, pairings...

Reds tend to pair with stronger flavors: beef, dark meat, stronger cheeses, dark chocolate. If the wine is 'robust' try pairing it with your more flavorful meals. At least, that's what I've tried. But there's really no wrong way to go about it, it's more a matter of preference.

Whites: The opposite! Fruits, fish, light cheeses, sweets!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ai and Diana
My wife isn't much of a drinker but she adores Moscatto. It's a 'sweet' dessert wine. I guess it's white too if you're looking for that color coordination. It's usually pretty cheap at around 6-10 dollars too.

• Thank You
Reactions: Diana
All depends on what you like, what you don't like, what you've tried, what you're eating or if it's after dinner.... go shop at a wine shop with actual employees that drink wine and don't spend more than $15.

• Love
Reactions: Tegan
Speaking as someone who doesn't drink.

Vodka if you just want something strong and want to pass the fuck out after enough.
Otherwise? Red wine I guess? That's normally what I hear other's talking about when they want a recreational alcoholic drink.

White wine is literally for people with no taste and is fucking disgusting. My current girl person likes it. I call her a whore. It's a fun little game we play.

If you like Rum, get the Kracken brand if its available in your local liquor store. shouldn't be more than $20 bucks and a few shots of it will get you fucked.

as far as vodkas go I prefer Svedka because of the multiple choices of flavors so you can pick what works for you and your mixed drinks if you don't like the taste of plain old vodka

Baileys is also the go to Irish cream. Anything else is a knock-off brand. only 5% alcohol so put a little bit in your milkshake/coffee for a bit of a kick.

Don't know much about Gin, goes well in Sprite though.

I don't know about beers because i don't like beer

Merlot is the wine that got me liking wines.

Specifically this delicious mofo right here.

Pelee Island Winery

-shakes her oppression stick!- D:< Wine advice only! I am already well versed in the wonderful world of hard liquors and mixed drinks. 8D

And we are not after booze for quick drunk making. O___O Neither me nor Gibs are party drinkers. Just good tasty wines for relaxing dinner times. >:3

I am not one to worry about pairings and such, but I am a fan of red wines. Middle Sister is a fun brand of wines (white and red) which not too expensive and I have enjoyed them all. I like Merlot and Shiraz best but have yet to meet a red I didn't like. I tend to buy wine that is middle of the road price-wise with cool/pretty labels or evocative names. While it doesn't make me wiser in the ways of wines it has netted me quite a few tasty glasses. I also love to go to local wineries (if there are some in New England then there will be some where you are!) to get a taste of different varieties.

For whites, I mostly stay away from them-I blame getting drunk on shitty boxed Chardonnay quite frequently in my youth for this- but have greatly enjoyed any of the German Whites I have tried.

So I know this is not super helpful for you, but really just go to the nicest liquor store you can find and talk to their wine people and see what they say for someone starting out. (just remember, Red wine is where it's at!!!)

Merlot is actually alright, and I say that as someone who's largely getting the whole wine concept forced on him by the fiancé. Dunno if you can get it over in the States, but Cassilero Del Diablo is one to look for. Their merlot is surprisingly not terrible and also not bank-breaking.

I loooove wine! Love love love!

Hope's Guide to Wine:

Reds:
Merlot:

Probably the most popular of all the red wines as it is many people's go to wine for many foods. It has a mild to medium smooth taste and pairs well with a lot of foods. It is not my particular favorite but that is just me.

Pairings: steak (beef or venison), lamb, sausage, mushroom, marinara sauce

Pinot Noir:

A deliciously smooth red that often times has oak undertones. It pairs well with many of the same foods as merlot but doesn't have quite as much as a harsh taste as merlot.

Pairings: steak, lamb, marinara, mushroom, sausage

Cabronet Sauvignon:

Cabronet is one of your strongest red wines. It is often fermented in Oak barrels to provide a robust smokey undertone. It should be paired with heavier foods so the flavors of the food don't get lost in the wine. I don't recommend this wine for beginners as it is very harsh.

Pairings: beef, venison, ribs, sausage, etc

Syrah or Shiraz:

This grape does great in the warmer climates of California, Australia, and some parts of France. It is called Shiraz only in Australia, but is called Syrah everywhere else. This is particularly one of my favorite reds. It has smokey and oak flavors as well as black pepper undertones.

Pairings: steak, lamb, sausage, mushroom, marinara, pizza, burgers

Zinfandel:

Zinfandel is a mild to medium red wine that is smooth and is a great wine for beginners. This wine pairs with a Lot of foods so it's a great one to have on your shelf.

Pairings: steak, sausage, mushroom, marinara,

Whites
Chardonnay:

Chardonnay is a drier white wine that has some buttery flavors. It is many people's go to white wine and can be found at any restaurant or bar that serves wine.

Pairings: fish, pasta with white sauce, turkey, chicken, etc

Pinot Grigio:

One of my favorite white wines. It has a milder taste than chardonnay and is slightly sweeter with lots of fruity undertones which is why it pairs so well with fruit.
Tip: freeze some fruits or berries like raspberries and drop them in the wine to keep it cool and provide some extra flavors!

Pairings: fruit, pasta with white sauce, fish, breads, cheeses, etc

Riesling:

This wine is on the sweeter side and is often paired with desserts or served as an after dinner drink by itself. It is very yummy if you don't mind the sweetness. It also often has undertones of raspberries, apples, or other fruits.

Pairings: fruit, cheese, desserts, light meals, pastas with white sauce, breads, etc

Favorite brands: Chateau Ste' Michelle,

Moscato:

This is definitely a dessert wine and is heavy on the sweeter side. Works well with a cheese and fruit tray or can accompany your favorite dessert, or can be drank by itself!

Pairings: cheese and fruit, desserts

These are just a few of the common wines that you will come across in the stores and restaurants, however there are way too many to actually name. You will also see a lot of blends. I highly recommend going to some Vinyards to do some wine tasting or at the very least always try something new whwn picking out a bottle at the store.

Wine Tasting Tips
The legs:

The legs refers to a way of telling how much sugar there is in the wine, hence giving you an idea to how sweet it is. First you pour about 2 Oz of wine in the glass. Give the glass a nice swirl so the wone swirls up towards the rim. Take a look at the wine on the sides of the glass as it drips back down towards the bottom. It will appear as lines flowing down. These are called the legs. The more lines, or legs, there are the sweeter it is. Also the more defined the legal are determine the amount of sugar.

Pairing:

When tasting a new wine for the first time take a sip by itself first. I recommend cleansing your palette first with a bland cracker. Swish the wine on your palette to develop a sense of the complex flavors in the wine. Next try pairing it with some different foods. Different foods will pull out different flavors in the wine. Therefore, if you have a wine you're trying and you don't like it paired with a certain food, give it a try with another. You never know what you'll like until you discover it.

I hope this helps!

White wine is for girls!

I'm mostly a beer person myself, but Merlot is alright. It's the manliest of reds! Perfect for a guy like Gibs.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: 1 person
As a functioning alcoholic myself, I'm more a fan of a merlot or a white zin. And shut up, whites can be manly too, if you're comfortable with yourself. As for pairings, no idea.

Wine is complicated shit. If you really want to get into this bizarre, amazing world...

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

In terms of what wines go with what foods:
WFfoodwine.png

What wines you should look for based on type of flavor you're seeking:
Different-Types-of-Wine-Infographic-Chart3.png

• Useful
Reactions: Nemopedia and Diana
Status
Not open for further replies.