I need a job, and don't know where to look

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spoilers

Original poster
I feel pretty much trapped in life, at this point. I realize I need a job, but I don't know where to even begin looking, and I mean that as in, looking for a job that suits me. I've tried a couple of 9-5 cashier jobs, they weren't for me. My first job was alright, but my boss didn't give me enough hours. It was like I would work 11 hours a week, and I need more money than what 11 hours provides.

The second job I had, was just a really, poor fit. I told them explicitly that I would do better as a cashier person, and they put me on the food staff, and then got mad, because I couldn't keep up with the other workers...as in I had no idea what I was doing, and even after I finally learned the ropes, and my productivity, quadrupled, they still fired me.

Why can't I do 9-5 jobs? I find them tedious, and boring. Also they always sound simple, and then aren't. It's like an ad will say; "Looking For Cashier!" and then the job description says that in addition to cashier duties, it also involves things like cleaning, carrying boxes, picking up the manager's dry cleaning, licking a dog's butt hole clean, counting backwards in German, while playing Scrabble in French, and a bunch of other, stupid bullshit, that should not be classified as "Cashier" if the description doesn't match the title, then the title should be changed. I don't like signing up to be a Cashier, and find out I'm also the stock-person, inventory manager, babysitter, IT technician etc. I'm exaggerating of course, but I think Iwakuians reading this get my point.

So what am I interested in? My passions? Well the truth is I have depression, and it makes it really hard for me to know exactly want I'd like in an actual job. I will however try...

I like artistic stuff, writing, drawing, painting, arts/crafts.

I am introvert, but I do like having someone to talk to. I'd prefer to work with an equal/friend, than an employer.

For a long time I wanted to be a writer, and then all of my real life, friends left me...and my self-esteem took a massive blow, and my mom never supported my dream of being a writer...so yeah.

I think honestly I could be a Youtuber, like I'm naturally talkative, tend to be quick witted etc, but again a lack of support in my home life, means I can't get that set up.

I can't do work that is "method" oriented. I hate that. I am very much a goal person. Something needs done, I do it, and as long as the end goal is right, I'm happy. I care more about the results of what's done, rather than the steps of how to do it. Now don't get me wrong, I do acknowledge that there are some things where you do have to be careful in how to do them. Obviously I'm not going to be like a construction worker, or an engineer.

I like cooking/baking, but I can't see myself working in a restaurant. I would get way too overloaded from all the people.

I love animals, very much.

I prefer to do my work by myself. I don't mind help, but I'm one of those quiet, diligent, workers. I'm like let me know what to do, and then get the heck out of my face, and let me do it. For me I prefer if my work partner is more someone I can chat to, while I'm working. I also tend to do my best work, when people aren't breathing down my neck.

I am a fast worker. I do NOT mean sloppy. I take pride in my work, and get fussy if something is off. Despite what method-oriented people think, I do want the results of my work to look good. I never half-ass anything. However, my point is I'm the sort who can get 5 things done, before someone else is halfway through 1 thing.

So uh yeah, please help, and like recommend jobs, and stuff like that. I'm very much lacking in direction right now, but I need to do something.

Unfortunately if you are truly desperate for a job, sometimes you can't afford to be picky. Literally. I don't think anyone really enjoys 9-5 jobs but, especially when you're starting out, sometimes you have to bite the bullet. That's not to say I don't sympathize with you. It is truly soul sucking.

How old are you, may I ask? Is it urgent that you get a full time job due to going to school or needing to live on your own?

You might consider looking into receptionist jobs. Make sure it's a receptionist job, not a secretary job; most of those require post-secondary education, whereas most receptionist jobs only require grade 12. My health is poor and I work as a receptionist and for the most part I find it a stable job for me.

You could also try looking around for kennel jobs. They aren't pretty, but you would be able to work with animals.

Is there a reason why you couldn't try creating a Youtube channel if your family isn't supportive? It's very hard these days to make a really successful Youtube channel, but you can always just start off with a hobby channel. You could also consider streaming if you have the computer for it. But I feel like a lot of becoming a successful Youtuber/streamer comes down to networking, which is very tricky.

Also, just look at websites like Indeed or Workoplois. There may be jobs in there that stand out to you.

• Useful
Reactions: Kagayours
@Opal

It's not so much that I'm super picky, I don't believe any job is beneath me. I just want to find a job that fits me, because my home life right now is total crap. I don't like the idea of working a job I hate, and then coming home to a family I hate. I really want to move out. I'm in my 20's.

I don't have the stuff for a Youtube channel.

It's not so much that I'm super picky, I don't believe any job is beneath me. I just want to find a job that fits me, because my home life right now is total crap. I don't like the idea of working a job I hate, and then coming home to a family I hate. I really want to move out. I'm in my 20's.

I don't have the stuff for a Youtube channel.
It's certainly not a nice idea, but might end up being necessary if you are unable to find an ideal job. The job market is tough right now, so sometimes you have to take something you dislike. I know that depression makes things difficult, though, especially if it prevents you from doing certain things.

Do you have any cash saved up to buy a microphone? Other than a mic, there are free editing programs you can use to put together your videos. You don't even need to get an expensive mic right off the bat. A mid-range one would do fine. Depending on what kind of content you want to put out (I'm just assuming games, but I definitely could be wrong), that might be all you need.

I wouldn't recommend YouTube at the moment because of the whole advertising debacle that's going on. Try Twitch instead.

As for jobs, I recommend working at a place like FedEx or UPS if you have good physical strength. The people there won't breathe down your necks (unless you're becoming a liability) and you'll get along well with your teammates but for the most part, you can keep to yourself. The pay and benefits are great as well as the environment.

Having worked at a kennel and with animals for a long time, I can tell you that it's dirty, stressful work with people they dug up from fuck-knows-where-- just a warning. (It can be rewarding, though!) You might try getting a job as an assistant pet groomer, but that can be difficult, too.

Also, I wouldn't recommend writing for money. Write for enjoyment, not for profit. That said, if you can deal with short deadlines and are willing to fight for work, there are online sites where you can get paid to write, edit, and do general freelance work. Not sure how great they work, but you might try something like Upwork.

You could also try at places like Jo-Ann's or other craft stores. You'll do a lot of cashiering, but you'd also be cutting fabric and helping people with ideas or whatnot.

Not the most inspiring or helpful thing, but sometimes it's necessary to hold a job that sucks or is boring so you can get to a point where you can do what you want. No one likes 9-5 retail/food jobs. They're boring and they suck and you never just do what was in the job description. You will always be doing someone else's work, too. Unfortunate and shitty, but true.

Making ends meet is difficult, but if you want to move out and you need a job, sometimes you just can't be picky, even if the job doesn't suit you. If a job is causing you physical or intense emotional stress (other than being bored or mildly stressed out/frustrated) then that is something you should leave. But, and this is coming from someone who has worked and worked to find out what they want to do with their life, sometimes you have to suck it up for a few years, especially when you're first starting out with work.

You do what you have to do until you're able to do what you want. Part of the human condition, I think.

Do you have a degree of any kind or plans for one?

If not, one of my old roommates made a lot of money waiting tables at an Olive Garden and he really liked his co-workers, so that can be a viable option. (Waiting tables at certain restaurants, I mean.)

Another suggestion would be working as a Night Desk/Night Auditor at a hotel. If you like keeping to yourself and not being bothered, you could also try hotel housekeeping.

(All of this is assuming you live in the United States.)

Last edited:
Have you uh... considered becoming a dog walker?

I don't really have much experience working outside of my field, but I have several friends who make really good money being dog walkers/dog caretakers, especially if you have transportation. Though I'm not going to post them here, there are lots of websites that help walkers/sitters connect with people who need animal care. There are options for taking in dogs overnight (might not be a good option for you if you are living at home though), house-sitting/dog-sitting at client houses, dog walking, and/or dog visiting while some is away at work or whatever. The nice thing about it is you 100% set your own schedule and rates.

From what I've heard from friends, it can be pretty slow to start but once you get a few positive reviews for good work, clients requesting you just sort of roll in. Again, I've never done it myself so I can't tell you the pros/cons, but I have heard good things.

YouTube is a pipe dream. If you go into it with the intention of making money, I can all but guarantee it'll end badly.

Other than that, my only suggestions would be to optimise the fuck out of your CV. Employers don't give a shit about you or your personality: they care about you being able to do the job, so make sure your CV shows that.

• Useful
Reactions: howl and Greenie
As a person who found it difficult to get a job from the beginning (being a first timer and all), all I can personally say is to just keep trying. It took me moving in with my grandparents-on my mother's side- to get a job since the place where i lived it was difficult to get something that worked for me. During my time here, I basically wrote down the names of lots of shops and restaurants in my area, went home, then applied online. Just keep trying, perhaps check out fast food restaurants (work hours tend to flexible there), and just continue hoping for the best. :)

Reactions: Kagayours
Status
Not open for further replies.