DONATING MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
Invitation Status
  1. Not accepting invites at this time
Posting Speed
  1. Speed of Light
  2. Slow As Molasses
Online Availability
It varies a lot depending on my schedule, unfortunately.
Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Psychological horror
Body horror
Supernatural
Giallo
Splatterpunk
Dark fantasy
Historical
Low fantasy
Magipunk
Weird West
Noir
Thriller
Gothic horror
Southern Gothic
Gaslamp fantasy
Cyberpunk
Space saga
Clockpunk
Space Western
Space opera
Paranormal
Modern fantasy
Dieselpunk
Post-Apocalyptic
Crime drama
Medieval fantasy
If there were one thing you could change about the site's layout, what would it be? Is there anything that just plain bugs the hell out of you?

I know for me, it's the fact that thread titles (and tags, and other thread info) aren't directly above the first post. They're floating WAY UP THERE above the forum section info--but oh no, it doesn't stop there, which wouldn't be so bad alone--but ALSO above any site-wide or section-wide notices, above the ad banners, all of it. It doesn't even look like it's related information at that point! It drives me bananas.

How about you guys? What's your Iwaku pet peeve? Tell me all about it! Just keep it polite. Remember that some of this stuff is (unfortunately) out of our control.

Midnight is overwhelmingly black D:< there’s nothing to break up one section to the next and it’s just a bunch of links floating in a dark soup. I had to switch to dusk back when the big update happened and I’ve been a salt lord ever since.

• Thank You
Reactions: Kitti and Astaroth
Midnight is overwhelmingly black D:< there’s nothing to break up one section to the next and it’s just a bunch of links floating in a dark soup. I had to switch to dusk back when the big update happened and I’ve been a salt lord ever since.
AGREED. I'm a Dusk convert from Midnight as well. Dusk is nice though and it turns out is easier on my eyes than a pure dark style, so I don't mind so much.

Reactions: neptune
DUDE. THAT SHIT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY RIGHT NOW TOO WTF. BOTH OF THOSE THINGS.

I miss being able to set custom colors for my style. >:[ As admin I could create a bunch of cool color styles, B U T if I do that, I then I have to deal with the agony of update days cycle through them. And people's bbcodes would never look good across all the styles. IS IT EVEN WORTH IT?

I miss the old setup for colors where everything was lined up in a row from brightest to darkest. The new set-up means I have to remember my hex codes or pick a new character.

Oh and also that sometimes when you quote/ reply to a post, the text colors goes back to white. ( Listen, I'm lazy and I want to be able to still grab my old colors via the old post.

I miss being able to set custom colors for my style. >:[ As admin I could create a bunch of cool color styles, B U T if I do that, I then I have to deal with the agony of update days cycle through them. And people's bbcodes would never look good across all the styles. IS IT EVEN WORTH IT?

Custom colors + the stylish browser add on had me living my matchy-matchy dream life and now it’s GONE 😭

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Diana
I am a seriously easy going person and go with the flow for the most part. I may have to try ti dusk setting though because I'm finding the midnight a bit rough too.

The only thing I can really reply here is, I really miss the inspiring muses forum. I know not a lot of people were using it, so I understand why it's gone. But I can pout about it if I want to...*pouts*

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: Astaroth
The only thing I can really reply here is, I really miss the inspiring muses forum. I know not a lot of people were using it, so I understand why it's gone. But I can pout about it if I want to...*pouts*
Pouting is what this thread is for. *pouts in solidarity*

I miss there being multiple roleplay guide sections. :[ The whole Academy/Institute/Creative Content section was my BABY.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Reactions: PoetLore
Pouting is what this thread is for. *pouts in solidarity*

I miss there being multiple roleplay guide sections. :[ The whole Academy/Institute/Creative Content section was my BABY.

THANKS for the solidarity!

The teaching aspect of the site is part of why I love it here. So much room to grow and so much to learn and hopefully pass along to others. I feel you in that as well. *hugs*

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Diana and Astaroth
I actually like the forum organization better when it's done by Genre forums and not by group vs 1x1.

But people fuss about not knowing what genre to put their rp in, and they fuss about the 1x1s being in the way. T___T I don't think it's that bad at all when it's spread across genres, and it's easier to find stuff.

I actually like the forum organization better when it's done by Genre forums and not by group vs 1x1.

But people fuss about not knowing what genre to put their rp in, and they fuss about the 1x1s being in the way. T___T I don't think it's that bad at all when it's spread across genres, and it's easier to find stuff.
I remember the headache of moderating genre forums, dealing with constant disagreements and confusion for mods and members, forums with only a handful of threads, etc. and do not miss it. I think genre forums work best when you have a small site where everyone already knows how things work and agrees on a simple set of genres.

I actually REALLY liked AMOR's setup, where it was sorted by general technology level: Past/Present/Future/Other. But it wouldn't work for a larger community like Iwaku where group and one-on-one players aren't always overlapping. Private RPs don't need to be in the same section as ones open to join anyway, that's way more clutter to dig through than ditching genre sections and lumping all groups together!

Tl;dr making everyone happy is hard

I wish there were more prefixes for roleplays. We have the ability to pick multiple prefixes, now. Why not include genre or tech/magic level? It makes me pout when, making 1x1 RPs that aren't smutty, I can't pick any prefix except the one that almost nobody uses.

• Useful
I wish there were more prefixes for roleplays. We have the ability to pick multiple prefixes, now. Why not include genre or tech/magic level? It makes me pout when, making 1x1 RPs that aren't smutty, I can't pick any prefix except the one that almost nobody uses.
I think for group games it could get clunky, because there are so many prefixes applicable to threads already, but that's something to think about. It definitely could work for one-on-ones, but my main concerns are

1. If we added them for 1x1, everyone would want them for groups too, and f we did GENRE ones it would definitely turn into a clusterfuck because of previously mentioned issues and/or people adding five million prefixes and requesting new ones like they're tags @__@

2. While they look cool, there's not really a functional purpose for genre tags in one-on-ones because people aren't searching the on-on-ones for RPs to join (because they're private XD). Shiny things are nice though, so it's a thought.

A big peeve I had in the previous layout was how low the community and the learning subforums were. It felt like we were almost hiding them, because after the layout change that enacted that, they were SUPER low on the list.

Now, I see that the helper forum is higher (though sadly condensed—couldn't we have turned its subforums into subsubforums like how redstar is a subsubforum of 1x1s/groups?) and have a little spark of hope.

I think the roleplay help and the guides forum should be above coding and off-site ads, because people who go to offsite ads are going offsite, and we should want those people to see that we offer help and guides before they go, shouldn't we?

Likewise, shouldn't RP Extras be at the bottom of its section? The rest of the things in that section are primarily for seeking, and that one is more for storing/presenting. Shouldn't Group Signups be a subsubforum for Group Brainstorming and RP search? Why not put the star connections under the partner connections, too?

If we have a shorter front page, people will have an easier time finding the community section, because the subforum labels are HUGE now. Very eye-catching, which is good—they're easier to find! But also, there's a lot of space taken up.

• Useful
I think for group games it could get clunky, because there are so many prefixes applicable to threads already, but that's something to think about. It definitely could work for one-on-ones, but my main concerns are

1. If we added them for 1x1, everyone would want them for groups too, and f we did GENRE ones it would definitely turn into a clusterfuck because of previously mentioned issues and/or people adding five million prefixes and requesting new ones like they're tags @__@

2. While they look cool, there's not really a functional purpose for genre tags in one-on-ones because people aren't searching the on-on-ones for RPs to join (because they're private XD). Shiny things are nice though, so it's a thought.
Shiny things also make it more fun to make threads, even if they're not super useful. Maybe something like the roleplay focus? Fighting, Loving, Searching, and maybe Other? A small thing, to help give a tiny bit more fun to the thread-maker.

• Useful
A big peeve I had in the previous layout was how low the community and the learning subforums were. It felt like we were almost hiding them, because after the layout change that enacted that, they were SUPER low on the list.

Now, I see that the helper forum is higher (though sadly condensed—couldn't we have turned its subforums into subsubforums like how redstar is a subsubforum of 1x1s/groups?) and have a little spark of hope.

I think the roleplay help and the guides forum should be above coding and off-site ads, because people who go to offsite ads are going offsite, and we should want those people to see that we offer help and guides before they go, shouldn't we?

Likewise, shouldn't RP Extras be at the bottom of its section? The rest of the things in that section are primarily for seeking, and that one is more for storing/presenting. Shouldn't Group Signups be a subsubforum for Group Brainstorming and RP search? Why not put the star connections under the partner connections, too?

If we have a shorter front page, people will have an easier time finding the community section, because the subforum labels are HUGE now. Very eye-catching, which is good—they're easier to find! But also, there's a lot of space taken up.
We unfortunately condensed guides because they were not getting new content regularly, and because we've also shifted where we are planning to take that section in the near future (we already mentioned we will be starting to promote some guides to Resources, and have suggested people with existing guides update them!) I actually am really looking forward to what we'll be doing with the guide section.

I see your points about some of the forum positions, but there are a lot of things to consider. (For example, the Star sections really need to be their own agelocked area; they get complicated if spread out or nested too far into each other via subforums). This thread is more for just complaining than actually trying to hash out solutions, but I definitely appreciate all the feedback!

not really sure if this counts as a layout pet peeve per-say, but god do I miss being able to hide entire forums. I hate the big wide blue star forum I can't even access taking up space, along with the role-play realms I'll never use. :'( My front page used to be so much more compact.

I do also miss being able to have custom colours. That was nice.

I would also like to add that I would really like to not have to redo my labels after the threads are moved out of archives.

I would also like to add that I would really like to not have to redo my labels after the threads are moved out of archives.
If you stick a note in your thread moderation request, a mod can fix your prefixes for you! They just need to know what to add.

If you stick a note in your thread moderation request, a mod can fix your prefixes for you! They just need to know what to add.

Good to know for the future. ( Still think there should be a section for it in thread moderation so it's not a footnote.)

• Useful