I can't help it... it's genetic (k-mich)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nate sighed. "Look Brin, I'm trying alright." He grumbled looking away from her cold look. He tossed the controller and caught it a few times before looking back at her.
Seriously, calling it dorky was just a habit. He didn't mean it, well he sort of didn't it. "It's not like I'm gonna be like 'Oh this is so cool!' In five minutes." He said bluntly.
It would take time for Nate to get used to this. He was used to parties, getting drunk, smoking, or just lazing around somewhere. "So, can you help me? I'm really gonna try." Nate gave his sister a small hopefully smile. Maybe that would melt her icy demeanor for now. He hoped so.

Brin wasn't buying it. "You seem to forget," she said lowly. "That this used to be you, sitting here with the video games. You used to be the nerdy one, and I never gave you shit about it." Brin still wouldn't look a him. "Even though we fought, I never insulted you about who you were. You're on thin ice Nate. Just know that." She signed into her profile and opened the last game she'd been playing. It was the hard one she'd just gotten, but then she'd been playing expert level. She switched to beginner, so it would be easier for Nate. "So, you ready?"

Nate nodded weakly. Why did she have to being that up? Nate hated his old self. He worked hard to change, to stop being a dork. To stop being made fun of because unlike his sister he cared what people thought of him.
Nate glanced down at the controller and sighed. His eyes found the television as she began the game.

Brin played silently, focusing on the game and not Nate. She didn't have to pay attention to beat him. Though she wasn't sure if this was because he was awful or she was good. Probably a mix of both. Her fingers flew avcross the buttons at a rapid pace, her eyes glued to the screen. After ten straight matches, all of which she won, she turned to him. "You tired of losing yet? Because I'm almost tired of winning. It's too easy. No offense."

Brin was winning because Nate wasn't trying. His movements were slow and reactions delayed. What she had said really got to him. When Nate got mad he shut down everything.
Nate glared at Brin from the corner of his eye. "Turn it on expert." He grumbled. Now he just wanted to prove her wrong. Within a few seconds of starting the game he beat her. "Oh, would you look at that." If Nate had been trying at all, Brin wouldn't stand a chance, even if he hadn't played in a few years it's not something you forget. "I'm hungry." Nate stood and let the controller fall into the chair and walked out.

Brin's mouth tugged up in a smile, despite herself. She'd let him win, of course. Guys had such fragile egos, she figured it best to let him think he could actually take her. She turned off the system and followed him downstairs to the kitchen. He was sulking, which wasn't much of a surprise. She just didn't know why. "What are you mad about now?"

Nate popped the tab off of a coke bottle. He took a swig and walked toward the living room. "Nothing. Just in a bad mood." Which was partially true.
He could care less if his sister best him to a pulp in videos games. It did bruise his ego but she had years on him. Nate was tempted to go back to his old ways and release his frustration but something stopped him. It was weird. He never second guessed his impulses but he didn't want to disappoint his sister.
Sighing heavily he glanced at her. "Anything else you wanna do?" He asked a bit calmer.

Brin frowned lightly, worry briefly flashing across her dark, chocolate brown eyes. She has a sneaking suspicion that she was the cause of his bad mood, so she stayed silent and didn't press the issue, for fear of making him more upset than he already appeared to be. She sat on the counter and watched him as he walked away, noting the tension in his shoulder blades and the stiff way he held himself. She knew she had overreacted to him calling her names, but she couldn't help it; she wasn't sure exactly why his comments upset her so much, and surely there was more than one reason, but she couldn't identify them individually. She just had a weird feeling in her stomach, like a pit she had been shoved into and couldn't climb out of.

"No," she said, shaking her head and looking at the granite countertop underneath her. She didn't think there was anything she wanted to do that he wouldn't immediately ridicule. He may not say anything out loud, but she knew he would be thinking it, and just wanted to spare herself the trouble. "I'm fine. Why don't you pick something?" she continued, a small smile playing at her lips.

Nate eyed his sister warily. A smirk formed as he heard her question. "My hobbies are definitely not something you'd be interested in." He chuckled lightly, attempting to diminish the tension that now filled the room. This was not how he had wanted it to go. He hadn't meant to piss his sister off earlier. It was hard to knock habits but Nate knew he would for her. Even though Brin was family, that thought slightly unnerved him. Nate was the type to be stuck in his ways. Once he had made a decision he didn't change it and here he was, willing to flip at the drop of a hat for his sister that he rarely ever conversed with since high school started.

Nate finished his drink and crushed the can before tossing it in the trash. He walked over and leaned on the counter as he mulled over their options. It was mid winter, plenty of snow on the ground, and a giant hill in their backyard. "Wanna go sled riding?"

Brin raised an eyebrow. "Try me," she muttered to herself, low enough that Nate couldn't hear it from the couch. It had already ben established that there were many things about her that he didn't know, and yet he still automatically assumed that she wouldn't be interested. Typical, she thought to herself, both amused and annoyed at this fact. She didn't blame him though; this was just how her brother was, and Brin certainly didn't want to be the one to make him change. Granted, it'd be nice to have a conversation with Nate that didn't involve him being a dick to her, but if it meant him having to pretend to be someone he wasn't then Brin was okay with them not being on the best of terms. Well, maybe not okay with it, but she'd make her peace and move on.

"Sled riding?" she asked, a bit shocked. "You haven't gone sledding with me since we were ten. But I suppose we could." It had been especially cold this winter, but the wind wasn't too bad so she guessed it was probably around 0 degrees outside. Brin hopped off the counter and walked around it to where Nate was standing. "Remember, whoever is ready last has to get the stuff out of the garage." And with that she bolted for the stairs, taking them two at a time and running to her room, her shirt already pulled off before she'd even entered. She didn't bother to shut the door, stripping to just a bra and panties and discarding the sweats and shirt on the floor as she opened a dresser and pulled out her snow gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Cheater!" Nate called after his sister and ran up after her. He was only a few steps behind her as they bounded up the stairs.
He paused for a moment outside her door. It was wide open as she stood there changing. Nate hadn't even realized he stopped running at first. He could feel something stir inside of him as his sister stripped down and pulled out clothes.
His eyes ran over her form slowly, taking it in. His tongue poked out as he wet his lips before biting his bottom lip as he unknowingly stared.
There was no coming back from this delay. Nate would be last and have to carry out the sleds from their garage but he couldn't find it in him to care. Not now at least.
Nate snapped out of whatever trance he was in when Brin was halfway redressed. With a hammering heart Nate tore his eyes away from her body and simply walked to his room as if he hadn't just stood their and completely checked out his twin.
Nate stood in his room, hands in pockets as his mind wandered back to what he just saw and how he reacted. No matter how you looked at it, checking out your twin sister while she changed was not normal. 'Fuck....' He internally groaned as he peeled off his sweatshirt. Nate ran a hand through his messy hair to get some semblance of order into it before stripping down to his boxer shorts. He wasn't built with muscles on top of muscle but he was toned and decenty strong.
Rummaging through his drawers he pulled out old jeans but couldn't seem to find his favorite blue hoodie.
"B! Where's my blue hoodie!" He called out to his sister wandering out to the hall only half dressed.

Brin had quickly picked her phone off of her bed and opened the weather app, so she knew it was actually around 30 degrees. Warm enough that she could avoid wearing snow gear that made her look like the Michelin Man. She opened a different drawer in the dresser and pulled out wool tights and jeans. She took the snow pants off and shoved them back in the drawer, pulling the tights and jeans on as quickly as she could without losing her balance and falling over.

She had just buttoned the jeans when she heard Nate calling her from down the hall. "What?" She called back to him, going over to her other closet - the one that actually held clothes and not gaming systems - and pulled out an undershirt, a t shirt, and a zip up hoodie. "I can't hear you over the sound of me winning." She tossed them on her bed and walked over to the door, poking her head out so her brother wouldn't see her shirtless.

Nate rolled his eyes. "Seriously..." He groaned before walking forward a few steps. "Blue sweatshirt. Where is it?" He asked frustrated, arms crossed over his toned chest.
Normally Nate wasn't this up and down but this was his favorite article of clothing. He'd had it for years and him not having it was devastating.

"I don't know where your damn sweatshirt is, Nate," Brin said, exasperated. Of all the many articles of clothing he had at his disposal, he just had to be fixated on this particular hoodie. "Did you check the laundry room? Or in your hamper? You may have shoved it in there without having realized it or put it in the laundry room after coming home. And does it really matter?" she asked, still awkwardly leaning out of the doorway. "Can't you just wear something else? It's not like you're running out of clothes or anything."

"It's not in here!" Nate sighed exasperated. Women. They just didn't understand the importance of clothing.
"And yes it is that important. It's my favorite." Nate grumbled the last sentence before turning on his heel. Maybe it was in the laundry room. He hadn't checked it but then again he did his own laundry and had washed all his dirty clothes last week.
Trudging down the hall with a firmly placed scowl, Nate entered their laundry room.
Empty. It was completely empty. "What the hell!!" He grumbled annoyed. Why couldn't he find this one damn hoodie!
Pulling out his cell he text his mother asking where it was. On occasion she somehow thought it would be brilliant to go in his room and reorganize his stuff.
Nate got a text back from his mother and thought he might explode. She....threw it away. "Who does that?!" He yelled out in anger. Nate stormed up to his room and threw open the door. He didn't really care that it slammed into the wall beside his bed, leaving a small dent in the drywall. Ripping a hoodie from his closet he threw it on and walked outside and sat on the ground with a heavy frown. His hands were balled into fists as he glared out at the snowy landscape. He was livid and he couldn't do anything about it because well....there was nothing he could do and that pissed him off even more.

Brin sighed. "Well," she said, "then I don't know what to tell you Nate. I haven't seen or touched it, so it has to be somewhere." She heard Nate yell from down the hallway, before exiting the laundry room and walk back down the hallway, his eyes glued to his phone. "Is everything okay?" she asked, but he ignored her and stormed into his room, throwing the door open with a loud thud as it banged into the wall. She could hear him rustling around, and he shortly came back out and stomped down the stairs. Brin watched him silently as he went, flinching when she heard the door downstairs slam closed.

She went back into her room and quickly pulled on the tank top, grabbing the zip up and shrugging it on as she went downstairs and zipping it all the way up. She walked into the main room and took her boots from the tray on the ground where shoes were discarded as you entered the house. She laced them up as hurriedly as she could without messing up and went outside, shutting the door more gently than Nate had.

Nate was outside, kicking around snow. He had calmed down a bit but he was still angry.
Hearing the front door open and close, Nate looked over. He saw it was his sister and stuffed his hands in his pockets. "She threw it away." He grumbled bitterly. Didn't his mother know by now not to touch his stuff?!
Nate swore that every time that woman tried to help by cleaning his room she would throw something important away. The last time she clean his mother had thrown out his biology paper not realizing what it was.
His brown eyes roamed the snow covered landscape as small white clouds puffed from his mouth. It was pretty cold but nothing Nate minded.
Realizing it had been far too quiet for far too long, Nate spoke up. "So....I think I won." He smirked over at his sister. It was the first thing to come to mind that could possibly bring back the fun atmosphere they held earlier.

"She what?" Brin asked as she came towards Nate, walking-or rather, marching- through the snow to get to him. "She threw the sweater away? I'm sorry, that wasn't cool of her." Brin bit her lip in concentration as she crossed the lawn. There had been some holes in the grass where small animals had dug into it before it snowed, so she didn't want to sink through the snow into one and lose her balance and fall. She made it to where he was and stood there beside him, looking out past their yard and into the woods beyond it, taking in the tranquil beauty of winter.

When Nate spoke she laughed shortly. "Yeah," Brin said. "I guess you did. If I didn't know any better I'd say that you made up the sweater thing to distract me. But I do know better." She turned her head and looked up at him. "Guess that means I have to get the sleds out." She took her hands out of her pockets and started to head towards the detached garage that held all their outdoor equipment, but as she was walking she stepped into one of the animal holes, a deep one, and felt her left leg give out from beneath her. Brin's breath caught and she gasped as she fell to the ground, both from the adrenaline rush and the pain that shot up her leg.

Nate didn't stop the sly smirk that crept into place. As he thought about it, that would have been a great plan. Too bad he hadn't thought of that before.
Brin walked off towards the garage to pull out the sleds. Nate paused for a moment before following behind her incase she would need help.
His eyes were trained on the ground, careful not to fall. Nate was so concentrated he almost missed the soft gasp from Brin.
Chocolate brown eyes shot up to see Brin falling. The pair tumbled to the ground with a dull thud. Nate landed flat in the middle of a snow drift. He could feel Brin on top of him and groaned. "B you're heavy! Get. Up!" Nate grumbled as he slowly sat up, taking Brin along with him, arm around her torso. "You good?"

Brin didn't know if she'd reached for Nate or if he'd grabbed her, or both, but they tumbled into the snow in a flurry of limbs and dislodged snow. Despite knowing her brother wouldn't be able to get up with her on top of him, she didn't move for a moment, lying there trying to catch and slow her breath.

"What? Oh, sorry," she said when he complained. As Nate sat up and twisted her around so that she was in his arms, she flinched and inhaled sharply, biting her lip hard to keep from crying out. Her whole leg throbbed, but the pain was concentrated around her ankle, which felt like her nerves had been lit on fire. "No," she admitted, looking up at him, "not good. My ankle is either sprained or seriously twisted. I might have also pulled a muscle." It felt weird to be held in her brother's arms, but oddly comforting. Despite the pain radiating through her left leg, she felt safe somehow, whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.