Hunting: The Great Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hope

Original poster
**Warning!***
The following post makes reference to dead animals and hunting. If this offends you, read at your own discretion.

Alright, so if you're thinking you would like to read and/or get involved in this topic of conversation get comfortable, because I have a lot to say. However, I must first say that it is not my intention to tell someone that they are wrong for their beliefs, or make someone feel bad for their beliefs. I am starting this conversation because I genuinely want to get your thoughts on the subject. I do have a little back story to explain, along with some personal experiences.

So my stance on the subject is that I am an advocate for hunting rights. What I mean by that is that I support the right to choose whether or not I want to harvest the meat that I eat. I completely and whole heartily respect the fact that there are vegans/vegetarians who do not eat meat and choose not to be engages in anything hunting related. However, I do not think it is right to take the choice away from other people just because they do not agree with it themselves.

It has been a mission of mine for several years now to educate people on what hunting really is and to dispute the false assumptions. That is why I've joined many anti-hunting sites to ask them directly why they have so much hatred towards hunters. (If you don't know what I'm talking about just google "anti hunting groups" and read the extremes they go to.) I am a hunter. I have been called a rapist, a murder, and a demon among other things. I chose to hunt because I believe it to be more humane than buying my meat off a shelf from which I know the cow was kept in tight quarters and lived a very sad and unhappy life. Deer, for instance, I know where he comes from... what he eats, and I know he lived a nice, happy, free life. And when it came to an end it was quick, over so fast he hardly felt any pain. Whereas, the cows know they are going to die. It is sad.

I have many, many stories I can tell you about the extremes that anti-hunters go to in order to make hunting illegal. It would be a shame that something so rich in history can be gone so soon. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the subject. But please remember to be respectful of everyone's opinion.

My dad goes on a hunting trip every year with his friends. Usually at least one of them is lucky enough to get a moose tag, which means we often have moose meat in my house (most Canadian sentence I have ever typed, right there.) Every part of the moose is used. What isn't used by us or his friends, is given to the animals to feast on. Like you said, the death is quick and painless, and hunting is very strictly regulated where I live. Deer here are also so ubiquitous that they are considered pests in more rural areas of town, and even in some parts of the city.

Idk, I've grown up with this, and I have literally zero issues with hunting as long as the animal is not going to waste. I do have issues with trophy hunting and fur farming, because that's a complete waste of a life, but I don't believe it's particularly prevalent where I live. I could definitely be ignorant to that fact, but most of the animals on hunting lists are ungulates and wild birds. My aunt and uncle have a bear hide and head in their home, but that's because my aunt was literally going to be mauled to death if she hadn't killed it. You can't legally hunt those animals for sport. (Seriously though, that bear hide rug is like the softest thing ever, goddamn.)

Yeah, tl;dr: if you're going to eat it, more power to you. If you just want a pair of antlers on your mantle or a fur coat, that's not so cool.

Edit:

So I checked, and it is actually legal to hunt black bears, as well as cougars and coyotes. This is something I don't agree with, since as far as I can tell, these species are strictly for trophies. Alas. I know they are also very common here. Coyotes rummage through garbage and kill cats and other dogs in the cities here, too.

Last edited:
I'm okay with hunting if it's done legally and as mercifully as possible. Also don't leave the carcass (or parts of it) lying there! Dispose of it properly if you're not using it.

My sister and brother in law are hunters. They are very respectful to the local wildlife and only hunt what they plan to eat. (Hence not bear hunting; bear meat is usually terrible.)

Reactions: LunaValentine
I'm happy that so far it is an agreeable topic.

As far as bear hunting goes we have to shoot them where I live, because of the extreme nuisance that they are. This year we have had a very dry/hot winter. Therefore, the bears did not hibernate. Which is why they quickly ran out of food and ransacked out deck, and vehicles. Bear jerky isn't too bad. Neither is bear chili. Bear steaks are nasty though.

Coyotes are a HUGE nuisance to ranchers here as well. I personally do not like trophy hunting either.

Rather I find it inhumane not to hunt. Hunting contributes to population control in certain animals. If we didn't have it, they could very well overpopulate and eventually starve. How is letting them starve inhumane compared to giving them a quick death so they can provide life to other living things that eat meat? Like people? As long as all the parts of the animal are used, nothing left or wasted, and everything is done legally, I completely condone hunting 1000%. Heck, my dad likes to hunt and I aim to start when the weather cools down. I've had venison steak, so good. I don't care for the jerky, but that's just me.

i like hunting. takes skill to find them things. shooting is easy, its the tracking and waiting thats hard.

also, i like meat.

• Love
Reactions: LunaValentine
Rather I find it inhumane not to hunt. Hunting contributes to population control in certain animals. If we didn't have it, they could very well overpopulate and eventually starve. How is letting them starve inhumane compared to giving them a quick death so they can provide life to other living things that eat meat?
Actually, most hunted species (such as deer, er, moose, and rabbits) already have plenty of natural predators, so hunting doesn't actually affect their population. Many hunting methods, in fact, do much more damage to animal populations by, obviously, killing too much of the species. Generally speaking, there are very few cases of actively hunting out a species that have a truly large, positive effect on the locale's ecological balance, and most of said cases involve the hunting down of non-native, invasive species, such as the hunting of cane toads in Australia.

That's not to say that my stance on hunting is wholly against, though. I reiterate most people's points here: that hunting isn't really a bad thing as long as all the parts of the animal are to be used, as well as the species being hunted is in no way threatened population-wise.And since most of you have already presented my point on hunting animals for their whole selves, I'll only elaborate on my not supporting the hunting of endangered species: though I do not believe it is man's duty to preserve the environment for the sake of preserving the environment, if man does not maintain the delicate balance of nature by targeting endangered species key to an environment's survival (ie, native), then man will have a hell of a time trying to use said environment's deprived resources.

As an aside, for the cases of some, relatively well-off hunters, or for hunts in much tamer environments, I believe it should be best for them to wholly refrain from using guns, and sometimes even bows and crossbows, when hunting for their meals (and such), as it is much easier to temper one's self if the hunt is limited in technology (ie, the slowness of the hunt will render the process more sustainable), and such limitations should prove a more challenging, yet more enjoyable, activity.

Short form: Most hunted species aren't getting anything from us hunting them, since they usually have natural predators already keeping their populations in check. However, I still support hunting, especially when all the parts of the animal is used, and if the animal being hunted isn't already threatened population-wise.

Short form: Most hunted species aren't getting anything from us hunting them, since they usually have natural predators already keeping their populations in check. However, I still support hunting, especially when all the parts of the animal is used, and if the animal being hunted isn't already threatened population-wise.

I agree with you on most of your points. However, Over the hundreds of years that humans have been hunting animals (I'm referring to mostly ungulates) they have adjusted to being hunted by humans as well as animals. If hunting were to be banned one day the, lets day deer, population would sky rocket. Not only because there is no longer deer hunting, but also predator hunting such as bears. While it is very rare that bears would kill a deer it is possible if they are hungry enough. And because we went through a drought this year, as well as hounds now being illegal to hunt bear with, the bear numbers have risen, and will keep rising every year. Bears are territorial and there is only so much food for each bear. They would resort to deer if they had to. And it's looking like it will come to that here in CA if the laws keep going in the direction they are. Now bears were just an example. These rules could apply to other species as well.

And as far as guns and bows, I agree with you that it makes the kill easier. With that, you have a better chance of making a clean kill. I am gun and a bow hunter. Take it from me, it is NOT easy bow hunting. It's not like shooting at a still target. You always have a chance of your arrow malfunctioning, the deer string jumping, or miscalculating the range. Then the deer would be injured and would either have a long, very painful death, or the would survive and be in great pain. This is why if I am not feeling confident for whatever reason at that time in my bow hunting abilities I will switch to a gun.

Thankfully, we have the Department of Wildlife Management that has a team of biologists who study the animals and the herds for a living to keep track of the numbers. Then they assign tags that each person is allotted. There is also a cap on how many tags can be drawn. Therefore, at least here in America, most species will not be hunted into extinction. (unless you're talking about poaching which i obviously do NOT support.)

I appreciate your opposing points to get a full perspective of the issue.

I agree with you on most of your points. However, Over the hundreds of years that humans have been hunting animals (I'm referring to mostly ungulates) they have adjusted to being hunted by humans as well as animals. If hunting were to be banned one day the, lets day deer, population would sky rocket. Not only because there is no longer deer hunting, but also predator hunting such as bears. While it is very rare that bears would kill a deer it is possible if they are hungry enough. And because we went through a drought this year, as well as hounds now being illegal to hunt bear with, the bear numbers have risen, and will keep rising every year. Bears are territorial and there is only so much food for each bear. They would resort to deer if they had to. And it's looking like it will come to that here in CA if the laws keep going in the direction they are. Now bears were just an example. These rules could apply to other species as well.
I guess in the context of America, yeah, though I'm pretty sure in other regions of the world, or even in certain other environments in said continent, that same case doesn't really apply. Nevertheless, point taken.
And as far as guns and bows, I agree with you that it makes the kill easier. With that, you have a better chance of making a clean kill. I am gun and a bow hunter. Take it from me, it is NOT easy bow hunting. It's not like shooting at a still target. You always have a chance of your arrow malfunctioning, the deer string jumping, or miscalculating the range. Then the deer would be injured and would either have a long, very painful death, or the would survive and be in great pain. This is why if I am not feeling confident for whatever reason at that time in my bow hunting abilities I will switch to a gun.

Thankfully, we have the Department of Wildlife Management that has a team of biologists who study the animals and the herds for a living to keep track of the numbers. Then they assign tags that each person is allotted. There is also a cap on how many tags can be drawn. Therefore, at least here in America, most species will not be hunted into extinction. (unless you're talking about poaching which i obviously do NOT support.)
Honestly though, I don't really care about the pain and suffering the animal would experience, though that's really more of a philosophical issue than anything else. I mean, we're all gonna experience pain and suffering anyway, so if it's for a good cause (such as feeding a family, or sustaining, by temperance, an ecosystem) why do we even have to bother? Look at tigers/lions/most big cats: they kill with lots of pain (they suffocate their prey with their bites by crushing the target's trachea). Is there anything specifically wrong with their hunting method, just because it causes lots of pain and suffering to the victim?

And yeah, I appreciate this thread a lot, though I'd be much happier if I saw things from the view-point of the anti-hunting side.

That is a really interesting way of looking at the issue of causing pain to the animal. I've never heard anyone make that point before, but it's definitely something to think on.

To be honest, even though I'm pro hunter I'd still like the view point from anti hunters. My main goal is to educate people on hunting. And getting Thier opinions and understanding their apprehensions would help me a lot.

Me and my dad hunt local boar all the time. Mostly they're a massive pest animal and like has been said already, they're fucking delicious, so it's not real problem. Have to agree I prefer myself that killing them quickly is the most humane thing to do, if its not a vital shot and its on the ground writhing around in its death throes, we're quick to shoot it in the head so it doesn't suffer.

Then again, I'm a weird individual like my father. He has no qualms about shooting hogs or other things like that, if it can cause him harm, he's more than willing to end it quickly. But he still stops and grabs turtles off the road and takes them to a nearby pond or lake, same thing with geckos or other small things. Dogs and cats especially, he can't stand to see them suffer. Though that often means putting them down rather than trying to treat them with extensive surgery or medicine.

I've always felt that if you eat meat you should be able to kill and prepare it, too. I haven't done much hunting myself, but the few times I have killed for food it was very rewarding.

I'm down with the cause. Not because I hunt everyday, because I hate hippies.

Hey, the best hippies understand the value of hunting, and even go get their food via that method themselves :P

Hey, the best hippies understand the value of hunting, and even go get their food via that method themselves :P
Sorry. I meant 'urban grocery store protesting hippies' not the cool ones :)

Reactions: RiverNotch
Me and my dad hunt local boar all the time. Mostly they're a massive pest animal and like has been said already, they're fucking delicious, so it's not real problem. Have to agree I prefer myself that killing them quickly is the most humane thing to do, if its not a vital shot and its on the ground writhing around in its death throes, we're quick to shoot it in the head so it doesn't suffer.

Then again, I'm a weird individual like my father. He has no qualms about shooting hogs or other things like that, if it can cause him harm, he's more than willing to end it quickly. But he still stops and grabs turtles off the road and takes them to a nearby pond or lake, same thing with geckos or other small things. Dogs and cats especially, he can't stand to see them suffer. Though that often means putting them down rather than trying to treat them with extensive surgery or medicine.

This is me. Okay will killing for need. Not okay with needless suffering.

Reactions: Hope and Windsong
*sheds tears of joy at the polite, rational, open-minded debate*

You guys <3

Reactions: Hope
Status
Not open for further replies.