Hunter x Hunter: The Truth is There

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bullets fired, wire sliced, and blood gushed. Recette only just managed to avoid getting overwhelmed, but her pistol was empty. She didn't discover this with the flailing, desperate clicks of an empty chamber: she knew. Four shots on the bus, eight here. The whole magazine was expended. However, her spares were in her briefcase.

Ducking behind the body, she pulled her briefcase in front of her, opening it, before hastily ejecting the magazine out of the butt of her pistol and replacing it. Loading the chamber, she stopped as she realized it was one of the only sounds remaining.

While her ears were ringing from the havoc, Kyoko's sharpwire whipped one last time, and no more rifles sounded out. All of those bandits, perhaps more than two dozen, either lay on the ground cradling bullet wounds, in tears of anguish, or in pieces. Perhaps the only exception was the man who'd they had called 'Mr. Lying', whom Recette allowed to fall on the ground, the light gone from his eyes, his hand still clutched around a silver watch bundled around a wallet.

Relocking her briefcase, Recette stood, her legs shaky as she made for the exit, her suit damp in several spots with blood, not a drop of it hers. With a groan, she said, "Let's get going, Kyoko..."

Bullets fired, wire sliced, and blood gushed. Recette only just managed to avoid getting overwhelmed, but her pistol was empty. She didn't discover this with the flailing, desperate clicks of an empty chamber: she knew. Four shots on the bus, eight here. The whole magazine was expended. However, her spares were in her briefcase.

Ducking behind the body, she pulled her briefcase in front of her, opening it, before hastily ejecting the magazine out of the butt of her pistol and replacing it. Loading the chamber, she stopped as she realized it was one of the only sounds remaining.

While her ears were ringing from the havoc, Kyoko's sharpwire whipped one last time, and no more rifles sounded out. All of those bandits, perhaps more than two dozen, either lay on the ground cradling bullet wounds, in tears of anguish, or in pieces. Perhaps the only exception was the man who'd they had called 'Mr. Lying', whom Recette allowed to fall on the ground, the light gone from his eyes, his hand still clutched around a silver watch bundled around a wallet.

Relocking her briefcase, Recette stood, her legs shaky as she made for the exit, her suit damp in several spots with blood, not a drop of it hers. With a groan, she said, "Let's get going, Kyoko..."
Kyoko nods dutifully, "Yeah, that sounds nice." Kyoko doesn't have any remorse for her actions herself, but she knows not to press the issue. She didn't really know what to do to try to make Recette feel better. Kyoko would try that one thing she always did with her sister, but she remembers her sister specifically saying that Kyoko shouldn't do those sort of things with strangers. Recette wasn't exactly a stranger, but she didn't really know anything about her values or sensibilities. The one thing that Kyoko knew was that like herself, she cared about her appearance, and her suit was no longer fit to wear. Kyoko never engaged in close combat, nor did she take a single hit during the entire fight, so she ended up unscaved. Maybe if she had just kept developing her bubble of safety around everyone, that wouldn't have happened.

Saying the only thing she thought she'd be able to say, Kyoko's voice is hesitant and uncertain, "Hey. You know, you don't have to force yourself to wear that. We can get a new suit in the next city. I'll pay for it."

Recette's walking speed took a dip as they reached the slope up. Her shaking legs had some trouble with ascending, so Recette stopped partway up, laying her briefcase down and turning to take a seat. Planting herself on the dusty slope, she looked at her condition again. Stockings torn, new shoes dusty, glasses and suit spattered with blood...

Taking her glasses off, she tried to wipe them off on her suit, but failed to find a clean portion with which to do it. Face tightening in frustration, she seethed before letting out a cry of anger, which began to shift to a throat rattling roar.

Energy expended, Recette fell back, laying on the slope, staring up at the clear sky. With a whine, she figured, "I could have handled that better..." Glancing at Kyoko, she knew she was concerned for her, but at the same time, Recette didn't want to have to rely on her too much. If they were both going to be Hunters then they both had to have what it took.

Recette's walking speed took a dip as they reached the slope up. Her shaking legs had some trouble with ascending, so Recette stopped partway up, laying her briefcase down and turning to take a seat. Planting herself on the dusty slope, she looked at her condition again. Stockings torn, new shoes dusty, glasses and suit spattered with blood...

Taking her glasses off, she tried to wipe them off on her suit, but failed to find a clean portion with which to do it. Face tightening in frustration, she seethed before letting out a cry of anger, which began to shift to a throat rattling roar.

Energy expended, Recette fell back, laying on the slope, staring up at the clear sky. With a whine, she figured, "I could have handled that better..." Glancing at Kyoko, she knew she was concerned for her, but at the same time, Recette didn't want to have to rely on her too much. If they were both going to be Hunters then they both had to have what it took.
Kyoko looks frazzled when she saw that Recette was definitely upset. Even though she was trying to help, even a cursory glance at what it would be like for Kyoko to be in the same situation made her unable to know how to proceed. Kyoko thinks about what she would do in the same situation, looking for a way to help Recette through this. Kyoko imagines the sticky sensation of wet blood pressing against her skin. She can smell the metallic, sickening smell of it coating her body, defiling her body's nature smell. She imagines it hardening slightly, brushing against her skin coarsely. Kyoko's conclusion was reached.

Kyoko blurts out, "You might be more comfortable if you took your clothes off."

Recette propped herself up on her elbows, a few strands of hair falling over her face as she blinked. Waving them away, she muttered mentally, She...she didn't mean it like that!

Gingerly sitting up, there wasn't much she could do about her skirt of stockings, but she did shed her dark violet suit coat, only having a long sleeved white dress shirt to fall back on. It was lightly stained in some spots, with a larger splatter on her collar where the coat didn't cover it, but she already felt a teeny bit better. Fanning out her coat, she let some of the excess filth fall off before tying the sleeves around her waist. Her underarm holster was rather clearly visible now, but it couldn't really be helped.

Taking a few minutes to steady her breathing, she began to stood, legs still a bit weak, but her body was already starting to recover from the adrenaline she'd used earlier. Evening was getting closer, but if they weren't at the Exam by later morning tomorrow, there'd be no chance. Now was the time to move, not mope!

Heading up the slope, she stated, "We know where we need to go so let's get going." As they reached the top, beginning to move back to the crossroads and take the correct turn, Recette managed to give a weak smile as she said earnestly, "Thanks, Kyoko." Despite herself, her smile faded, as she muttered, "But why did I bother not killing anyone when you...never mind."

Recette propped herself up on her elbows, a few strands of hair falling over her face as she blinked. Waving them away, she muttered mentally, She...she didn't mean it like that!

Gingerly sitting up, there wasn't much she could do about her skirt of stockings, but she did shed her dark violet suit coat, only having a long sleeved white dress shirt to fall back on. It was lightly stained in some spots, with a larger splatter on her collar where the coat didn't cover it, but she already felt a teeny bit better. Fanning out her coat, she let some of the excess filth fall off before tying the sleeves around her waist. Her underarm holster was rather clearly visible now, but it couldn't really be helped.

Taking a few minutes to steady her breathing, she began to stood, legs still a bit weak, but her body was already starting to recover from the adrenaline she'd used earlier. Evening was getting closer, but if they weren't at the Exam by later morning tomorrow, there'd be no chance. Now was the time to move, not mope!

Heading up the slope, she stated, "We know where we need to go so let's get going." As they reached the top, beginning to move back to the crossroads and take the correct turn, Recette managed to give a weak smile as she said earnestly, "Thanks, Kyoko." Despite herself, her smile faded, as she muttered, "But why did I bother not killing anyone when you...never mind."
Kyoko seems decidedly happier when she sees Recette perk up. Even though she had that moment where she looked pretty odd, Kyoko wasn't about to qualify her good feelings. Giving Recette a toothy grin Kyoko tries to finalize Recette's happy feelings. Pretending to be stern, though having confident, joyful overtones, "You better watch out, I've got really sharp ears. Even if you mutter like that, I'm going to end up hearing you." Transitioning to a more sincere tone, "Regardless of what has happened up until this point, there are going to be plenty of chances to learn and improve. You just gotta survive somehow, and all the rest will work out." Trembling with excitement as she has a fangirl moment, "Plus, you look so much tougher when I can see your gun. It totally gives you that gunslinger girl appeal."

Recette whistled innocently as Kyoko brought up her own hearing...Recette certainly wasn't going to mutter anything else if she could help it.

Hearing Kyoko's inspiring words, however, Recette couldn't help but feel happier, despite that scene she just took part in. Kyoko's mood was truly infectious. Turning her body a bit, getting a look at her holster, Recette wondered aloud, "Y-you think? There might be laws against it though...but I guess it's not any worse than a concealed carry. Or...I haven't thought about it, actually."

Feeling like she just might get through this alright, she continued her walk as the sun steadily headed closer to its setting point in the cliffs of Charti Heights.

Recette whistled innocently as Kyoko brought up her own hearing...Recette certainly wasn't going to mutter anything else if she could help it.

Hearing Kyoko's inspiring words, however, Recette couldn't help but feel happier, despite that scene she just took part in. Kyoko's mood was truly infectious. Turning her body a bit, getting a look at her holster, Recette wondered aloud, "Y-you think? There might be laws against it though...but I guess it's not any worse than a concealed carry. Or...I haven't thought about it, actually."

Feeling like she just might get through this alright, she continued her walk as the sun steadily headed closer to its setting point in the cliffs of Charti Heights.
Kyoko laughs in response, "Laws are only as strong as the people who enforce them, and we just solved their bandit problem. You'll be fine. Anyway, I'm glad to be done with all this climbing. The valley ahead looks a lot more pleasant. Plus, there might be some more fun for us there. I want to meet someone really strong you know."

Kyoko looks down at the valley from on high, and something catches her eye. It seems there might have been more than one purpose to taking the high road besides simply avoiding geographic barriers. Located on a nearby rock face was the hunter symbol, alongside the number 369. Such an obvious clue was likely a reward for having taken the correct path. Kyoko took mental note of the number just in the case that it became important later. Though, she didn't dwell on it much longer. Instead, she took a look at the remaining distance between them and the valley. She then proceeded to have an idea, "Hey, Recette. Do you think it would be faster to slide down the cliff from here?"

At one of the highest points of Charti Heights, Recette allowed herself to take in the view. As Kyoko said, the valley did look more pleasant, having more shade.

At Kyoko's query, Recette looked down the cliff she was considering taking on. After her brief wave of vertigo passed, Recette suggested, "W-well, you'd probably be fine, and be way faster, but...I'd rather just walk." Moving to do just that, she wondered, "You suggested something like that on the bus: what did you have to do back where you lived?"

At one of the highest points of Charti Heights, Recette allowed herself to take in the view. As Kyoko said, the valley did look more pleasant, having more shade.

At Kyoko's query, Recette looked down the cliff she was considering taking on. After her brief wave of vertigo passed, Recette suggested, "W-well, you'd probably be fine, and be way faster, but...I'd rather just walk." Moving to do just that, she wondered, "You suggested something like that on the bus: what did you have to do back where you lived?"
Kyoko pouts, "There is no point to going faster if I end up waiting for you all the same. If we are going together, it might as well be like that all the way." Kyoko continues the walk with Recette, perking up as she hears Recette take an interest in her personal life. These were the kinds of things she was hoping came with making new friends. "I had to do a lot of different things, but everything I've done my entire life was about passing the Hunter's exam. I've practiced with my weapon until it became a part of me. I trained my body to be ready for any kind of strain. I've learned a lot about fighting. THings like using my senses, my opponent's habits, and my environment as weapons. Looking back, I actually can't remember the day that I wasn't fighting or training. I don't know about much anything else."

Recette listened closely as Kyoko explained herself. She noted, "That sounds a little rough, though I guess it paid off. But...did you ever have time to just relax?" Not that Recette had much room to talk: her idea of relaxing was taking her pistol to the firing range

"I spent a lot of time trying to make sure we didn't end up bankrupt, studying business, helping my dad out when I could, and I still managed to get through school too. A little early even! But..."

"What are you going to do after the Exam?"

Recette listened closely as Kyoko explained herself. She noted, "That sounds a little rough, though I guess it paid off. But...did you ever have time to just relax?" Not that Recette had much room to talk: her idea of relaxing was taking her pistol to the firing range

"I spent a lot of time trying to make sure we didn't end up bankrupt, studying business, helping my dad out when I could, and I still managed to get through school too. A little early even! But..."

"What are you going to do after the Exam?"
Kyoko responds with more vigor than her usual self, "Well of course. I worked really hard so that I could earn time to spend with my sister. They'd usually award me 5 minutes or so every time I did really well, or mastered a concept that they were teaching me. I'd usually save up until the max time I was allowed to have so that I'd get to spend about half a day with her. I usually only get to see her a little more than once a month at a time, so I really treasure the time I have with her. We'd always be watching the anime that she was dying to show me." Kyoko takes a more steady tone, trying to show how much this means to her, "If I pass the exam, I'll finally be done. Me and my sister will no longer be bound to that organization, and I'll be able to be with her all the time. I don't really know what it is that we will do together, but it is something that I've wanted for a very long time. That is why I'm definitely going to pass the exam."

Noticing that she totally forgot to say something about Recette's life, Kyoko blushed a little. She always gets this way when it comes to her sister. "Sorry... I forgot. I heard you, I promise. I just got a little engrossed. You are taking the exam to get your family out of bankruptcy?"

"Er, well, basically. I'm hoping to really get the business going once I'm a Hunter but hold on."

Recette shook her head, asking, "What kind of organization is this? The mafia? It sounds like they're holding your sister hostage!" Recette gasped, "They're not going to sell your Hunter License once they get it, are they?"

"Er, well, basically. I'm hoping to really get the business going once I'm a Hunter but hold on."

Recette shook her head, asking, "What kind of organization is this? The mafia? It sounds like they're holding your sister hostage!" Recette gasped, "They're not going to sell your Hunter License once they get it, are they?"
Kyoko looks a bit puzzled. She had no familiarity with the term Mafia, but from context she understood that they must be some sort of infamous crime syndicate. Kyoko stopped to think about this, as she never really pondered the nature of her circumstances. For Kyoko, the life she has lived is all that she has ever known. The things we are taught at childhood establish our normal, so maybe she wouldn't notice if she had actually been held prisoner her hold life.

However, regardless of if it was some sort of Mafia like group that controlled her life, Kyoko understood that Recette had some misgivings about her situation. Pensive and pondering, "I don't really know much about my circumstances, but I think it is probably a bit different than you are imagining it. They aren't making me take the test because the license is important. They are doing it because they are trying to validate their research. Also, my little sister isn't a hostage. She has always been free to travel, they even take care of her. It is just me who had to stay. I was always obligated to train to one day take the hunter exam, and it was only by their grace that I was even allowed to see my sister. I'm not really sure what my taking the hunter exam does to validate their research, but if it means that I get to be with my sister as much as I want, I don't really care what I have to do or give them."

Recette pondered, before gasping, "Now it sounds like you're the hostage!"

Crossing her arms over her chest, she muttered, "I almost wanna say screw these guys, but if anyone can become a Hunter it's you." Grimacing, she added, "I still don't like the sound of these guys though."

Looking over to Kyoko, she wondered aloud, "Did you ever think about leaving them? I mean, they probably taught you to survive so you could have managed if you could take your sister too."

Recette pondered, before gasping, "Now it sounds like you're the hostage!"

Crossing her arms over her chest, she muttered, "I almost wanna say screw these guys, but if anyone can become a Hunter it's you." Grimacing, she added, "I still don't like the sound of these guys though."

Looking over to Kyoko, she wondered aloud, "Did you ever think about leaving them? I mean, they probably taught you to survive so you could have managed if you could take your sister too."
Kyoko shakes her head, "I don't think that thought has ever crossed my mind, not even once. I'd never want to put my sister into danger, even if it meant that I got to be with her. Plus, it isn't like I'm being forced to do this against my will. If it helps my parents, then it is probably a good thing to do. I enjoy fighting, so even if I have to do it, I'll end up enjoying..." Kyoko cuts herself off as they enter the valley. There is a door clearly visible with a bright flashing sign that read, "Fast track." In small letters underneath, it disclaims, password required. Though Kyoko expected there to be a faster way to get to the exams, she didn't realize that they'd be so flamboyant about it. The face of the door suggests that many attempted to get through with force, but Kyoko couldn't imagine that went well for them. Though, usually when someone offers a fast track, it just means that you have the difficulty less spread out. Would it be a good idea to try the door? Curiously, "Recette, does that look like something we'd like?"

Recette was a bit stunned by the door in the rock as they descended into the valley under Charti Heights. Imagine going through an elevator door and ending up on a subway train. It just wasn't right!

Recette blinked at the portal, her thoughts about Kyoko's situation having fled from her brain as she muttered, "Uh..." A finger to her chin in thought, she reasoned, "Well, it looks like some others messed with it, but...how long as this been here? I mean, if it goes anywhere important, it would have taken weeks to dig out! It's probably just a door to slow us down."

Recette made to move on, before stopping, looking back at the door, she continued, "Unless...it really is a passage somewhere, then...whoever made it must have known about the Exam ages ago..." Thinking, Recette put a finger to her forehead as she pondered, leaning in, reading closer.

"Oh, never mind, we need a password." Letting out a less than disappointed sigh, she waved a hand as she began to continue her path.

Recette was a bit stunned by the door in the rock as they descended into the valley under Charti Heights. Imagine going through an elevator door and ending up on a subway train. It just wasn't right!

Recette blinked at the portal, her thoughts about Kyoko's situation having fled from her brain as she muttered, "Uh..." A finger to her chin in thought, she reasoned, "Well, it looks like some others messed with it, but...how long as this been here? I mean, if it goes anywhere important, it would have taken weeks to dig out! It's probably just a door to slow us down."

Recette made to move on, before stopping, looking back at the door, she continued, "Unless...it really is a passage somewhere, then...whoever made it must have known about the Exam ages ago..." Thinking, Recette put a finger to her forehead as she pondered, leaning in, reading closer.

"Oh, never mind, we need a password." Letting out a less than disappointed sigh, she waved a hand as she began to continue her path.
Kyoko stays at the door, staring at it for a moment. She did see the rock earlier with the password, but like Recette, Kyoko knew that it was unlikely that this was a traditional shortcut. The Hunter Exam may be a major event, but it is severely unlikely that someone tunneled through the rock face all the way to their destination. Though, shortcuts aren't always about being taken to the correct places as quickly as possible, but instead to the right people. If a navigator wanted to announce themselves, this seems like the way they would do so. The alternative however was it simply being a trap intended to waste time. Kyoko resolved herself that it was worth checking out however. Navigators, unlike most proctors, are generally smart enough to avoid challenging the perception of potential hunters. They are going to want to put us through a sort of test. The qualifying conditions were having the alertness to notice obvious hints and passing through the upper route.

Kyoko having analysed the situation, approaches the door, chanting loudly, "369!"

In response, the door unlocks. Just inside the doorway, a stone hallway appears to be carved out of the rock face. Torches light the inside. Kyoko turns to Recette, "I'm not sure, but there is probably a navigator in here. It probably won't be easy, but it will probably be worth it."

Noticing Kyoko wasn't following, Recette turned to see her moving towards the door. Recette sighed, "There's no way we can guess it, Kyo-"

"369!"

The door flung open as Recette's jaw fell. She gawked for a moment, looking before Kyoko and the door as she explained her reasoning.

"Kyoko what the fuck," Recette blurted.

It should have been impossible, and somehow Recette wasn't quite used to it yet when it came to her new friend. And yet, here she was, diving answers out of thin air.

Pausing, Recette clapped her hand at her mouth, blushing at her foul language. Clearing her throat, she began, "Kyoko...how do you know all that!? Did I fall asleep on the bus or something!?" Feeling so lost, Recette slinked over to the doorway, peeking in the dim, firelit hallway.

"I...don't know about this...is this even real?" Recette mumbled. Answering her own question, she reached in, waving her hand, but there was indeed some empty space beyond the door. Rubbing the side of her head as she thought, she suggested, "...Well, if you go first, I'll go too...but there being a navigator here is too convenient! Lets just keep our hopes low on that front."

Noticing Kyoko wasn't following, Recette turned to see her moving towards the door. Recette sighed, "There's no way we can guess it, Kyo-"

"369!"

The door flung open as Recette's jaw fell. She gawked for a moment, looking before Kyoko and the door as she explained her reasoning.

"Kyoko what the fuck," Recette blurted.

It should have been impossible, and somehow Recette wasn't quite used to it yet when it came to her new friend. And yet, here she was, diving answers out of thin air.

Pausing, Recette clapped her hand at her mouth, blushing at her foul language. Clearing her throat, she began, "Kyoko...how do you know all that!? Did I fall asleep on the bus or something!?" Feeling so lost, Recette slinked over to the doorway, peeking in the dim, firelit hallway.

"I...don't know about this...is this even real?" Recette mumbled. Answering her own question, she reached in, waving her hand, but there was indeed some empty space beyond the door. Rubbing the side of her head as she thought, she suggested, "...Well, if you go first, I'll go too...but there being a navigator here is too convenient! Lets just keep our hopes low on that front."
Kyoko looks upset at first. Kyoko hadn't ever been cursed at by a friend, and she had no idea what she did that was wrong. Then she rambled on about how she didn't know how Kyoko had got answer. Plus, she was blushing, like something was really embarrassing. Then Kyoko took on a look of shock as she realized what was making Recette so upset. Maybe because she didn't notice such an obvious hint, pointing out the answer like it was nothing special was insulting to her intelligence. Kyoko's spirits dropped immediately in response to this conclusion, but appended an sense of confusion as Recette mentioned something about wondering if this was even real, and pointing out the navigator might not even actually be in here.

A moment later however, Kyoko realized why Recette was mentioning such things. Since Kyoko had been so rude in pointing out those things, Recette was looking for ways to tear Kyoko's statements apart and make her feel bad about herself. She was definitely really mad right! Kyoko didn't really feel invested in this plan, but she held Recette in esteem because she had grown to like her, and she was the first friend she had ever made. With this false revelation in mind, Kyoko speaks in a defeated tone, "Yeah, you are probably right, we should probably just not bother..."

Though before Kyoko could finish, Recette and Kyoko reach the end of the hall, and come to a room. Similar to the other halls, it appears to be made entirely through carving out the rock. For distinguishing features, in the center of the room was lectern holding an open book, and before them, two doors marked with two different signs. The left sign read, "5 minutes of perfect push-ups." The right sign read, "30 minutes of spa time."

Welcome prospective Hunters, if you are reading this, it means that you have been flagged as an advanced newcomer applicant. This means you will be subject to more rigorous testing before you reach the exam site. The challenge before you will have difficulty similar to a phase 1 of the exam, but you will be guaranteed to find the only navigator who can take you directly and immediately to the exam site. In exchange however, leaving this cavern will result in your application's voidance for the year. If you have what it takes to be worthy of the hunter exam, traverse the doors before you to reach me. After each challenge you will be presented with a 5 minute strenuous challenge and a 30 minute relaxing challenge. Beware, if you fail to do the strenuous challenges perfectly, you will accumulate penalties. These penalties will be resolved by the machines located through the structure. And one last helpful tip, the number of rooms between you and my room is exactly one third the password, so use your time wisely.

*The document concludes with the chairman's seal, verifying beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is completely legitimate*

Status
Not open for further replies.