Hunter x Hunter: The Truth is There

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recette shook her head. "No no no, it's fine! Well, it's not fine that it was taken, but it's not your fault!"

As if to taunt her, a voice of one person on the ground, his clothes tangled, tire tracks on his back, moaned, "H-hey, call for help..."

Putting her hands against Kyoko's back, she pushed her along to hurry her, muttering, "S-sorry I don't have a phone or anything!" As they left, Recette muttered under her breath, "Not my fault..."

Some minutes later, the pair reached the top, where a view of the rest of Charti Heights awaited them. It was rather cliff-like, with countless ridges spanning out before them, weaving in between jagged spires and rocky outcroppings. Scanning, Recette saw the highest ridge, and followed it back to their present position, before making her way over.

Having a multitude of questions, Recette wondered, "So, your sister gave you your clothes? What's she like? ...I don't recognize that cartoon character though."

Recette shook her head. "No no no, it's fine! Well, it's not fine that it was taken, but it's not your fault!"

As if to taunt her, a voice of one person on the ground, his clothes tangled, tire tracks on his back, moaned, "H-hey, call for help..."

Putting her hands against Kyoko's back, she pushed her along to hurry her, muttering, "S-sorry I don't have a phone or anything!" As they left, Recette muttered under her breath, "Not my fault..."

Some minutes later, the pair reached the top, where a view of the rest of Charti Heights awaited them. It was rather cliff-like, with countless ridges spanning out before them, weaving in between jagged spires and rocky outcroppings. Scanning, Recette saw the highest ridge, and followed it back to their present position, before making her way over.

Having a multitude of questions, Recette wondered, "So, your sister gave you your clothes? What's she like? ...I don't recognize that cartoon character though."
Feeling Recette push her along, she knew that Recette's choice was clear. Although she felt bad for the man who didn't have the athletic ability to clear the bus, at this point there was nothing that could be done for him. Neither Kyoko nor Recette had the ability to make a call, and even were they able, there was little chance they could get a signal. Then even clearing these impossible conditions, he'd need to survive long enough to reach a hospital, which was many miles away. That man was to die, but he still had a will to live. Therefore, the most humane action they could take was to allow him his last final struggle before passing to the next life. Kyoko spoke silently, wishing him the best, while not stopping in her own quest.

After reaching the top, Kyoko was already irritated with the state of her attire. Even if she had yet to exert herself, the area was so dry and hot that she sweat quite a lot without her deoderant. Though, Kyoko had already decided to consider it a sunk cost, merely sulking. However, she appreciates the wind, taking a moment to look over the environment from this excellent vantage point. As she does so, Recette throws a question her way, which restores a bit of cheer to her face. It is obvious that Kyoko greatly enjoys Recette's company.

Kyoko continues to follow Recette as she talks. From her tone of voice, her care for her sister is extremely obvious. Kyoko almost sounds as if she is recalling a golden age, "My sister is a really wonderful person. She is really frail, and constantly needs my help with all sorts of things, but I really love being able to spend that time with her. I'd even say, that she is basically like my treasure. I don't get to see her very often, so whenever I do, I just want to catch up with her, and make her as happy as I can. When she heard that I was going to do the hunter exam, she bought me brand new clothes for good luck on the exams. It has her favorite character from this season of anime, Nao. Since I'm always so busy, I never get to watch anime like she does, but I got to see a little bit of the anime just before I came here, and I can see why she likes her. Nao is a really cool and strong girl, so you can't help but admire her."

A-anime season? Kyoko was starting to shift into a different language there.

Recette responded, "I was an only child, so a part of me wonders what'd it have been like if I had a sibling. It sounds like your sister really knows you though! And, uh, the girl on your shirt, 'Now', she sounds a little familiar when you describe her like that, ehehe." Tilting her head, she admitted, "I don't get the time to watch a lot of television though..."

As the two went on, the uppermost ridge wound downwards with a sharp incline. Though they were a bit more shaded from the wind, the sun, harsh in its temperament, beamed down on them. Recette moaned, "Ah, we should have gotten those...in some areas they cover up with robes and cloaks to block sunlight, keep dust and sand out of their clothes, but allow air in the keep them cool. Something like that would have been handy, since we could keep our current outfits too!" Arms slumping, she admitted, "Way too late for that though..."

As Recette and Kyoko walked, there was a slight shuffling behind a short stretch of rock just of the path, undetectable to Recette.

A-anime season? Kyoko was starting to shift into a different language there.

Recette responded, "I was an only child, so a part of me wonders what'd it have been like if I had a sibling. It sounds like your sister really knows you though! And, uh, the girl on your shirt, 'Now', she sounds a little familiar when you describe her like that, ehehe." Tilting her head, she admitted, "I don't get the time to watch a lot of television though..."

As the two went on, the uppermost ridge wound downwards with a sharp incline. Though they were a bit more shaded from the wind, the sun, harsh in its temperament, beamed down on them. Recette moaned, "Ah, we should have gotten those...in some areas they cover up with robes and cloaks to block sunlight, keep dust and sand out of their clothes, but allow air in the keep them cool. Something like that would have been handy, since we could keep our current outfits too!" Arms slumping, she admitted, "Way too late for that though..."

As Recette and Kyoko walked, there was a slight shuffling behind a short stretch of rock just of the path, undetectable to Recette.
Kyoko enjoys Recette's ability to keep up conversation so naturally. Even though they only met earlier today, it doesn't feel like conversation is forced or awkward. Plus, Kyoko just naturally enjoyed being with her. Kyoko thought to herself that it might just be the fact that Recette was the first friend she made that was around her age. Though, Kyoko wasn't unobservant of Recette. It seemed like she had a lot of responsibilities for a girl her age. In comparison, Kyoko has never been responsible for anything. While she often took care of her sister, it wasn't like she needed to. There were people tasked with making sure she was well fed, educated, and happy. Even if Kyoko ignored her, no harm would come. Even now that she is taking the hunter exam, there is no real need to succeed. Succeeding simply marks the end of the experiment, and finally leading a life of her own. Until then, she would have no responsibilities at all. Kyoko wondered if having those kinds of responsibilities made Recette a stronger person. Though Kyoko didn't want to discuss such a thing while they have a potential tail. Whoever was hiding from them was fairly amatur, but Kyoko didn't want to alert Recette to his presence. Right now they have a woeful lack of information, and it would be better to wait for their tail to block off his escape options.

As Recette finished her thoughts, Kyoko went a bit quiet. Recette decided to leave her be, simply trying to focus on the walk and avoid tumbling down the steep incline in this heat.

As the two walked, the shuffling noise went ahead of them, before finally, a short man in a brown cloak with an unshaven face stepped out from behind a rock, greeting, "Ladies."

Recette froze, not sure what to think, as the man asked, "You aren't looking to be hunters, are you? Well, even if you're not, you could probably use a hand getting through, right?"

Recette wasn't sure what to say, but a thought did come to her mind: was this a Navigator?

As Recette finished her thoughts, Kyoko went a bit quiet. Recette decided to leave her be, simply trying to focus on the walk and avoid tumbling down the steep incline in this heat.

As the two walked, the shuffling noise went ahead of them, before finally, a short man in a brown cloak with an unshaven face stepped out from behind a rock, greeting, "Ladies."

Recette froze, not sure what to think, as the man asked, "You aren't looking to be hunters, are you? Well, even if you're not, you could probably use a hand getting through, right?"

Recette wasn't sure what to say, but a thought did come to her mind: was this a Navigator?
Kyoko smiles at the man, happy that he wasn't going to just immediately ambush them. Plus, if he knew about hunters, and hid out the way he did, it is entirely possible that he is a navigator. Hiding out like that allows him to observe if people made it this far legitimately, and lay low in the case they didn't. Though, with enough alternate possibilities and the unknown strength of this man, Kyoko would opt for the option of steadily feeling the situation out.

Kyoko erupts with cheer, "Well, we could use help, but I'm not sure if just anyone could do that. They'd have to be a really amazing and kind and generous person. Right Recette?"

Recette was about to nod in agreement, before she stopped, planting a finger on her chin, as she stated, "Now that you mention it, that is pretty suspicious."

As the man waved his hands, he tried to explain, "Look, the paths get kinda winding and twisty ahead, so it'd help keep you from wandering."

Recette sighed, "But why would you help us?"

The man nodded sagely before saying, "Well, a favor is a favor, and if you two make it to become Hunters, then you'll have plenty of power to repay...me."

"But what if you never see us again?"

The man gasped, "You look like such nice ladies! You wouldn't...right?"

"Er..." Recette muttered, before thinking about the people they were unable to help because of Recette's evacuation plan. Feeling a bit guilty, she offered, "We won't, right Kyoko?"

Recette was about to nod in agreement, before she stopped, planting a finger on her chin, as she stated, "Now that you mention it, that is pretty suspicious."

As the man waved his hands, he tried to explain, "Look, the paths get kinda winding and twisty ahead, so it'd help keep you from wandering."

Recette sighed, "But why would you help us?"

The man nodded sagely before saying, "Well, a favor is a favor, and if you two make it to become Hunters, then you'll have plenty of power to repay...me."

"But what if you never see us again?"

The man gasped, "You look like such nice ladies! You wouldn't...right?"

"Er..." Recette muttered, before thinking about the people they were unable to help because of Recette's evacuation plan. Feeling a bit guilty, she offered, "We won't, right Kyoko?"
Unlike Recette, Kyoko confronted the situation with a particularly brutal honesty, though isn't mean-spirited about it. Nonchalantly, "I'd probably forget after the hunter exam."

Recette held back a laugh at Kyoko's honesty while the man seemed a bit surprised. While he scratched his head, as if trying to think, Recette suggested, "Maybe we'd be better off on our own."

"H-hey, hold on! T-truth is...I'm a little far from home. If you protected me on the way to Rindo, that'd be enough."

"Well why didn't you just say so?" Recette wondered.

The man growled, "Excuse me for not asking a couple little girls to help me out!" Recette wondered what Kyoko though, but Recette didn't like being called a little girl...even though she wasn't legally an adult yet in many parts of the world.

Recette held back a laugh at Kyoko's honesty while the man seemed a bit surprised. While he scratched his head, as if trying to think, Recette suggested, "Maybe we'd be better off on our own."

"H-hey, hold on! T-truth is...I'm a little far from home. If you protected me on the way to Rindo, that'd be enough."

"Well why didn't you just say so?" Recette wondered.

The man growled, "Excuse me for not asking a couple little girls to help me out!" Recette wondered what Kyoko though, but Recette didn't like being called a little girl...even though she wasn't legally an adult yet in many parts of the world.
Kyoko sighs at the man's behavior. While social cues were something alien to Kyoko, she did pick up a bit when she practiced interrogation. It wasn't something Kyoko was particularly strong in, but she was more than practiced enough to take on a joker like this. Kyoko speaks in a rather put off manner, "Hey, Mr. Really Bad At Lying, could you stop beating around the bush and get to the real story already. Little girls like me get impatient quickly, and when I get impatient I kinda just do whatever I feel like. Plus, Recette isn't a little girl, so you should probably apologize." Kyoko however, didn't actually know if the man was lying or not. She just knew his behavior indicated a large possibility that he wasn't being straightforward, and he knows it. If he really did mean to do well, it will probably lead to a show of good faith, and otherwise he would have the doubt that Kyoko was already onto him.

Waving his hand, the man insisted, "W-wuh-what? What're you implying?"

Once she finished beaming at Kyoko jumping in to defend her, she blinked, before pulling Kyoko back a bit, whispering, "Wait, do you think this is some kind of trap? Or test? Or both?"

Waving his hand, the man insisted, "W-wuh-what? What're you implying?"

Once she finished beaming at Kyoko jumping in to defend her, she blinked, before pulling Kyoko back a bit, whispering, "Wait, do you think this is some kind of trap? Or test? Or both?"
Kyoko seems confused that Recette would pull her all this way just to ask her what seemed to be such an obvious question in Kyoko's mind. Regardless, she assumes no judgements, instead calmly whispering into Recette's ear. "Think about what kinds of people can make it to this part of the mountain, then think about what he claims. Nobody needing protection could make it this far, that is why he is obviously lying. Everything I've done and will do is about trying to find out why." Then, Kyoko takes advantage of the situation to give Recette a kiss on the cheek. Loud enough for everyone to hear, "Recette, you are so sweet, worrying about me. But don't worry, it always turns out fine when I follow my gut." Kyoko presents herself proudly to Recette, then returns to face the man. "So, Mr. Obviously Lying, did you have something to say, or is that all?"

Feeling a shade dumb as Kyoko seemed to be a step ahead of her for once, it did turn around for Recette when Kyoko pecked her on the cheek. Though it didn't shift back towards positive, it was more like sideways into...a stunned, utter bafflement.

While question marks flew around Recette's head, the man stammered, "I'm not lying! Honest! I just...wanna...save my starving girl!"

Snapping her mind back to things, Recette somehow managed to hold back a snort of laughter. The man looked mortified as she held a hand over her mouth as she tried not to laugh. "Sh-she's gonna die!"

"K-Kyoko help I can't breathe," Recette managed to say. It was so obvious now.

Feeling a shade dumb as Kyoko seemed to be a step ahead of her for once, it did turn around for Recette when Kyoko pecked her on the cheek. Though it didn't shift back towards positive, it was more like sideways into...a stunned, utter bafflement.

While question marks flew around Recette's head, the man stammered, "I'm not lying! Honest! I just...wanna...save my starving girl!"

Snapping her mind back to things, Recette somehow managed to hold back a snort of laughter. The man looked mortified as she held a hand over her mouth as she tried not to laugh. "Sh-she's gonna die!"

"K-Kyoko help I can't breathe," Recette managed to say. It was so obvious now.
Kyoko however does not laugh. Even though the man had been lying before, Kyoko wasn't willing to laugh at the idea of someone starving to death, even if it was probably a fabrication. Kyoko looks towards the man determined, "Sorry Mr. Obviously Lying, she just doesn't believe you since you've told us too many stories, yet still claim to only tell the truth. It is kind of like how it is funny when a child insists that one plus one is eleven. You started this conversation telling us you'd help us for a price, then you claimed you seek protection, and now it is a rescue mission. To add fuel to the fire, you won't let us leave despite insisting that you don't need help from little girls like me and Recette. So now that this little girl has shown you that she has seen through you at every turn, what else do you think I know about you. How much deeper am I going to drag you, and to what end? I know the answers, and you don't. That is the difference between you and me."

Although Kyoko has been speaking in the same cheerful and innocent tone of voice that she has been using since the beginning, her interrogation technique began to show itself to both Recette and the man. What is terrifying about Kyoko is that she is so childish that she is difficult to antagonize and easy to underestimate. As she appears more and more competent, it causes her target to feel more and more incompetent, injuring their pride and attacking their self control. Furthermore, she reveals herself to be impossible to read by constantly introducing elements which are difficult to explain, forcing people to retreat to their basest nature, what they know to be reliable. It is from this position, with nowhere to run, which Kyoko makes her attack. "After all, you are a navigator."

Last edited:
Well, Recette had stopped laughing.

As Kyoko broke down the situation, Recette could only stare. For a moment, she glanced around, as if wondering who this was and where the real Kyoko had gone.

The man could only gawk, sweating up a storm. His mouth flapped open as he began, "Well...I...you see..."

Turning on his heel, he bolted away.

Recette gasped, "Ah! What if he really is a navigator! Or..." Looking between the fleeing man and Kyoko, Recette wasn't sure if she should follow.

Well, Recette had stopped laughing.

As Kyoko broke down the situation, Recette could only stare. For a moment, she glanced around, as if wondering who this was and where the real Kyoko had gone.

The man could only gawk, sweating up a storm. His mouth flapped open as he began, "Well...I...you see..."

Turning on his heel, he bolted away.

Recette gasped, "Ah! What if he really is a navigator! Or..." Looking between the fleeing man and Kyoko, Recette wasn't sure if she should follow.
Kyoko started laughing as the person began to run. "Well, if he did that, I guess that means it is time for the test to begin. I wonder if it is going to be any fun." Kyoko takes off, easily keeping pace with the unknown man. She pays attention both to her surroundings, and to Recette, mostly due to the fact that she wasn't completely aware of her physical prowess. Kyoko hums along a tune, likely from some sort of anime, as she casually hunts down her prey.

Giving chase, Recette went after Kyoko, not quite being able to match her pace, but finding an easier time with the smoother path and the downwards incline. Not having her briefcase also made it less difficult than before, but keeping up with Kyoko at her max speed was not happening.

As the girls ran, slowly gaining ground on the fleeing man, there was a break in the path, one heading down, and one heading even further down. The man took the lower path, picking up some speed as he descended, the path marked with some rock crystals embedded into the walls, the way ahead getting darker and more cavernous. Recette was hesitant, but the man ahead stumbled, rolling downwards to the base, stopping with a pained grunt.

Giving chase, Recette went after Kyoko, not quite being able to match her pace, but finding an easier time with the smoother path and the downwards incline. Not having her briefcase also made it less difficult than before, but keeping up with Kyoko at her max speed was not happening.

As the girls ran, slowly gaining ground on the fleeing man, there was a break in the path, one heading down, and one heading even further down. The man took the lower path, picking up some speed as he descended, the path marked with some rock crystals embedded into the walls, the way ahead getting darker and more cavernous. Recette was hesitant, but the man ahead stumbled, rolling downwards to the base, stopping with a pained grunt.
Kyoko calls out to the man, whom she has intentionally not stopped in his tracks, "How long are we going to be running. It was fun at first, and the place is really pretty and everything, but I'm getting bored." Not soon after Kyoko called out the man ended up tripping over something and losing his balance. Kyoko sighed as she walked over to the man, still seemingly in pain. Somewhat sympathetically, "Listen, I know you are all hurt and everything, but this is exactly why you shouldn't run in the dark. If you can't see where you are running, you are basically bound to hurt yourself." Kyoko helps the man up by propping him upright gently from his upper back. "Did you hit your head?"

As Kyoko went to the fallen man, Recette really wasn't sure what was going on at this point. Resigning herself to her fate, she simply stood by as Kyoko helped him to a sitting position as if he were a toddler.

As he was moved, his face fell, the man crying, "Ah, no, wait!" Lurching away, he flopped to his stomach in the silence.

Recette leaned forwards, but as she did, she noticed something on the ground: small holes. But the way they were arranged, it was likely that they were...bullet holes.

As sounds of shuffling from ahead sounded out, Recette tried to pull Kyoko back, the silhouettes of the two clearly visible and vulnerable from the light outside in the darkness. "Kyoko!" Recette barely had time to call out.

Unsure of the intentions of those involved, Kyoko allows Recette to dictate her movements. Already at a combat level of alertness, Kyoko, for the first time in her entire trip to the hunter exams, draws her weapon from her satchel. It is a most peculiar looking weapon that appears to be a giant coil with a large button-like surface on one side, the exposed coil on the opposite side, a firing mechanism on the front end, and a grip on the opposing side with a small button where her trigger finger belonged. The entire process of drawing the weapon takes approximately a second, an obviously practiced motion.

Waiting for the mysterious figures to make their move, Kyoko observes the situation very carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.