Hunter x Hunter: The Truth is There

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recette managed a light laugh, before her eyes widened. She tried to sit up quickly, but a groan had her propping herself up on her elbows. After a moment, she sat up properly, blinking as she realized, "I...haven't told my dad I passed yet." As she pulled her legs closer, she didn't say anything, but her fists were clearly tightened, a bit of anticipation clear, yet a shade of indecision showed on her face as she looked between Kyoko and Muyomi briefly.

Kyoko is the first to make comment, "Recette, did you want to get in touch with your Dad? I'm sure my parents would be more than happy to send him a letter."

Recette let her hands rest on her cheeks for a moment as she considered. After a brief bit, she shook her head, saying, "We won't be here for that long, right? Just until tomorrow? Well...I guess it'll take a while to get there, but I was hoping to call him or something..."

Muyomi shakes her head, empathetically, "While I'd love to grant you that, we can't use phones on the island. It took me forever just to rig it so that I could play games on the internet. We can't risk revealing the location of the island since it would put the research located here in danger. If it is just a voice message, that would be easy, but two-way communication would take me at least a week to develop a secure channel."

Kyoko looks sadly back at her sister, "Is there really no way?"

Muyomi shakes her head, "There really isn't. And you need to get going. I'll keep Recette company, but impress them quickly so that you can get back in a hurry." Muyomi gives Kyoko a quick kiss on the lips, and then signals Kyoko to say goodbye to Recette before she runs off.

Kyoko gives Recette a quick hug, "Sorry about your Dad. I'll try my best, and get back as soon as I can."

"G-good luck!" Recette's cheer rushed out of her mouth as Kyoko rushed for the door.

Standing properly, she was now alone with Muyomi, the sun outside waning into the evening. Looking over to the computer, she wondered, "Er, would an email be fine? Er, if you're fine with me using your computer. I guess a one way voice message would be alright too..."

Muyomi sits back down at her desk and types in a few commands into a command prompt, then relinquishes her seat to Recette. "I just set up a proxy for you to use. A text file appears, along with a dashboard that Recette can drop files into. You can use my built in camera if you wanted to leave a video message."

Recette could barely contain her excitement as she sidled into Muyomi's seat, looking closely. She'd never used a computer this nice looking before, so she approached the mouse gently, as if it were alive. After wiggling the cursor, she stopped, leaning back as she tried to think. "H-how do you get it to record?"

---

Under the barely night, the grimier streets of Frisko seemed to sheen in the advent of a fresh rain. Business shoes covering soaked socks under stained sleeves shambled down the uneven pavement, puddles being scattered uncaringly by the slumped man in the maroon suit. Passing cars occasionally went by, each one threatening to further drench the man though the rain had already relented. Yet he marched on robotically, not even flinching as they scattered street water.

Finally, feet turned up a metal staircase in the side of a building, climbing to the second level of a cheap apartment complex. The man's hand moved to the door handle, pushing through the broken lock. Clicking on a light, the light bulb seemed to be the only thing in the run down apartment not rifled through. Books were scattered, furniture upended, cushions split. The man ran a hand over his scruff face and his thinning brown hair, before letting out a mild sigh, closing the door the best he could.

Shedding his slightly oversized suit, he toweled himself off before throwing his things into a dented dryer, changing into a t-shirt and boxers before flopping on the couch once he rebuilt it. Looking at the mess, he stood with a grunt, before going to work. The small living room, the kitchen, and the one room, cramped with two beds, one of which that had been empty for over a week now. One agonizing week...

---

Once the apartment had become livable, the man crouched down by the fridge, hand swiveling between junky snack food, less junky snack food, and beer. Grabbing a bottle, he set it aside before reaching to the bottom, removing an insulated panel, then another. Pushing aside the cash filled boot, he pulled out a laptop, the screen half hanging on by half of a hinge and the wiring. A short while later, he was back on the couch, laptop charged and powering on, beer half gone into his gullet. Then, he found it: an email with a simple word as the subject amongst spam and threats: "Dad".

A click later, and he was downloading a relatively small video file. Despite the file size it took half an hour of unbearable anticipation to finally finish downloading on the staggered, stolen internet connection. He wasted no time in opening it.

His daughter's red eyes stared back at him as another girl's hand pulled away.

"It's recording now?" she asked. A voice answered her from off screen.

She took a breath, before she began to fiddle with her pockets. The man didn't seem to mind, a hand covering his mouth, quelling a bout of unmanly squeaking. Finally, she pulled out a card, grinning from ear to ear. "I did it!" She blurred in his vision, the man overcome, unable to stop as pure pride and elation poured down his face.

---

Recette let out another satisfied giggle as she placed down her Hunter ID. She awkwardly spoke into the camera. "I'm not sure how else to put it really. It was...well, I heard it was supposed to be tough. And it really was. There are some crazy weird and cool and strong people in the world." She giggled again, "And I'm with some of them! I think they're going to be coming back home with me!" Leaning back, she paused, before saying, "I won't be home for...oh, I think we can fly now! That'd be quicker! I'll get back as soon as I can, there's just some things I need to take care of. And once I do get back we can get to work, alright?" Recette took a breath, before smiling again, raising two fingers in a V for victory. Letting it hang for a moment, she turned to Muyomi, asking, "How do you stop it again?"

Muyomi pats Recette on the back with one hand, while ending the recording and sending with the other, "I'm sure that will mean a lot to him." Slowly releasing Recette, she reclaims her seat, then lays back comfortably. However, this time she doesn't return to her computer, instead facing towards Recette. It would likely be some time until Kyoko returned.

Stepping away, Recette stood, letting out a long breath. She couldn't be sure her message would be recieved, but that slight hope that it would gave her a bit of relief.

Noticing Muyomi's eyes on her, Recette froze up a bit. She wanted her lips to move, but they couldn't of their own accord. Recette soon came to realize, mentally whining, We have nothing in common!

Sliding down, she came to rest on her knees, still facing towards Muyomi and the computer. Of course, there was one thing they had in common with liking Kyoko and all, but even there they were..fundamentally different. Reaching for a topic, she looked down at the owl cat thing on her shirt, wondering, "So, what's this thing supposed to be?"

Muyomi lets out a restrained laugh before responding, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make things awkward. That is just a character from a well-known anime, but you don't have to worry about that. I'm used to talking to all sorts of people, so don't feel like you have to force yourself. In fact, lets start over. I never got the chance to thank you for helping my sister." Muyomi bows her head to Recette, "It really meant a lot to her."

The edges of Recette's lips couldn't help but rise at Muyomi's gratitude. Recette scratched the back of her head, admitting, "Well, I tried..."

Dropping her hand, she began to ponder, before wondering," What kind of people do you talk to then? Oh, right, you play games and stuff...or have you two actually left the island before?" Brow furrowing, she realized, "I don't really know a whole lot about you two. Just the broad strokes, I guess."

"Well, I can't say that I've physically left the island, but I've met all sorts of people. I do more than just play games. I'm also something of a white knight of the internet. I like to help people who are in need, and that line of work puts me in contact with all sorts. Just to list some examples, I track down and disable hackers, pedophiles, and illegal operations. I also sometimes locate criminals and missing persons."

Recette blinked, noting, "That's less of a white knight and more of a...hero. Is that what your parents have you do or..."

Stopping, she instead asked, "Actually, is there a reason you were trained differently then Kyoko?"

Muyomi tilts her head, "Um, I'm not sure how to answer that. I haven't been trained since I was five years old. Kyoko is the only one who received combat training. But, I appreciate the compliment. It doesn't have anything to do with my parents, it is just how I pass the time. It gets lonely in here, so it is a good way to socialize."

"Er, no, that's the thing. I mean, it's good that you're using your skills, but, I mean, why wasn't it you at the Hunter Exam and Kyoko here? Er, I mean, just because you're twins doesn't mean you have to be the same or anything..."

Shaking her head, as if to clatter her scrambled thoughts back together, she said, "I still don't really get the whole reason for the experiment, is all, just that it involved Kyoko passing the Hunter Exam."

Muyomi thinks on this for a bit, "Well, I'm not sure if I'm supposed to tell you. I think it is probably best for you to ask my parents directly when it comes to the details of the experiment. I'm sure they will let you in on the loop, especially if you've been marketing yourself as Kyoko's girlfriend, but if they found out that I leaked information, I probably wouldn't get off without at least a lecture. But, I can tell you plenty about Kyoko herself."

Recette pouted. "The meeting the meeting the meeting..." Slumping down, she laid down on her side, running a finger in circles on the carpet.

Pulling her hand back and holding her arms at her sides as she laid on the ground, she lifted her head, asking, "Have..." Stopping, she crawled back up to her knees, proclaiming, "I've been asking all the questions. Why don't you ask me something?"

Muyomi thinks on the topic for a moment. Placing her finger on her lip, "Well, there just isn't much that I don't know about you. I'm sorry if it freaks you out, but my parents requested me to do the due diligence report on you once you started hanging out with Kyoko. They were worried you might be a part of another organization, so I had to look through a lot of your life to verify your situation. There are a few things I noticed during the exam that I was curious about, but I'm not sure if you even have those sorts of answers..." Muyomi starts to think again, "How about, your encounter with Angel. Can you tell me how you felt about her?"

Recette pouted, lowering her head. "Asking about someone else defeats the whole point..."

Taking a breath, she straightened her back, before beginning, "Well, she was sometimes hard to talk to. I mean, she couldn't talk: she just used some kind of...telepathy thing, to talk to my head. Other than that, I suppose she was a bit quiet, but she was usually nice. To me. She doesn't seem like someone I'd want on my bad side, honestly..." She then admitted, "But I don't really know what her deal was. Everyone called her 'The Anomaly' so I don't think anyone did."

Putting that aside, she began, "But that question didn't count! Sure, you might know things about me but I bet you don't even know why! I mean, you tell me then: what's my favorite food?" Recette flashed a quick, cocky smile, challenging Muyomi. She frowned as she noted, "It's not pizza..." Patting her still full stomach, she insisted, "Don't let previous evidence fool you."

Muyomi consoles Recette, "I can't really help it. I learned so much about you that really all I have left to go on are your private thoughts. I mean, maybe you should just see for yourself." Muyomi pulls up the file she created for Recette, revealing a staggering amount of personal information. Financial records exist down to every cent with references to both the product and provider. Social media references are archived. Even government records are listed on the file. Though, to Recette's credit, favorite food is not among the dataset."

Status
Not open for further replies.