Hunter: The Return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny thought for a moment, kind of surprised. When he heard tales of the great hero Nerxus and her group of heroes stopping the great vampire lord, he imagined, just like any other kid back at Faus, that these creatures all joined together for a common cause. Never would he have thought the in actuality the group was actually a...well, a rag tag bunch of misfits. He was not expecting that at all.

Johnny started to regret coming here now. He hated other people that are different from, people clashing with each other because of their different beliefs...he did not want to work together with these people. Johnny just knows that it can cause trouble...

But he had no choice, if he were to fulfill his goal. Gritting his teeth, he said, "Fine...I was just curious." With that being said, he turned and headed straight for the outside. "I'll be waiting. Hurry it up."

"I never knew the original heroes were so dysfunctional," Joss said. "I guess that's not really the side you hear about too much." Tales of heroes often liked to build up their subjects, after all.

All this was starting to seem quite real, and Joss could feel a growing unease building inside her. All this hadn't really...sunk in before. Sure, she'd known what the purpose of their quest was, but now she felt more a sense of the fact that this was really happening, and they really were about to set off to kill a powerful, ancient vampire.

What have I gotten myself into? she thought.

Reia turned toward Joss, she could almost feel the unease growing in the girl. Suddenly her arms went around the older werewolf and she squeezed, "Don't worry, we are strong werewolves of the Order of Lycus. None can beat us. We will save daddy, bury that mean old vampire, and drag the betrayer back to face proper punishment at the hands of the Order." She let Joss go and moved back, leaning on her staff and smiling. It seemed that she honestly believed that and didn't really seem at all concerned that her other two parents pretty much did the same thing but didn't return.

Rhea pondered on Narxus' reply. It was a lot of information to take in at once, but she felt the group of them needed everything they could get before they set off on this quest.
"Well I think, providing everyone agrees of course," she started, glancing around the assembled group, "that we should start with E'mun, as he is the most likely to inform us about the identity and location of the sixth guard, and the sooner we find that out, the better." The rest of Narxus' explanation regarding Meridor's powers and family, as well as how to destroy the vampire, seemed straightforward, if in a rather daunting way, so Rhea just nodded on through, taking mental notes. She thought decapitating Meridor and driving a stake of some description through his heart was the best idea. Plus bringing the head back with them, that was obviously important. And perhaps burning Meridor's headless corpse as well before they left, just in case.
When Johnny suggested about the test, and Narxus gave his response, Rhea raised her eyebrows, smiling softly. Everyone needed time and training to function as a team, she supposed, though it was hardly the airbrushed, fantastical tale she had been told. She wondered how this group would hold up and into what roles everyone would settle into as their journey progressed. "I suppose the beginnings of this quest will be the test," Rhea reasoned aloud, before adding solemnly; "and those that survive will be the ones that passed." she paused, letting the hard fact settle in the room, and in her own head. "So," she started again, her tone brighter, "shall we stay here tonight and set off early on the morrow?" her question was directed at everyone else in the room as much as Narxus. It was already late evening, and dark outside - inappropriate conditions to begin travelling at the best of times, not to mention when you had an ancient vampire's dangerous guards at the end of it and potentially bandits or other risks on the road. She had no doubt this group, with their ragtag skills she was yet to learn, would easily deal with any regular threat, but common sense told her they should wait until the dawn to set off. Johnny's impatience had unsettled her though and she was not so certain in her logic.

Narxus nodded toward Rhea then ushered everyone back up to the tavern area of the Inn, here he also collected Johnny. "Typically I save this room for the high paying adventurer groups but I think that it will suit your needs fairly nicely." He stated as he guided the group toward a previously hidden room, the door of which seemed to blend perfectly with the smooth stone wall.

The room was pitch black, however all it took was a quick exhale of fire from Narxus and then the room lit up, the fire followed the wall where it clung unmoving, seemingly stuck near the top of the wall as if held by an invisible candle.
The room itself was large, it held several beds each one looking like it belonged more in a manor than an Inn. "Get some rest, if you wish for something to eat then just come out and request something. There is a small window at the far end of the room which allow light to shine in so you'll know when its morning. Though if you dont wake up I'll be sure to come in and wake you all up an hour after sunrise."

With a light bow he turned and left, walking back to his bar.

Reia wasted no time running over to a bed and jumping, practically diving, onto it, though the result was she wound up bouncing several feet into the air and plastered on the floor. "I call this bed." She yelled from the floor, not seeming to care about the embarrassing moment that just happened. Though one could tell by the fact she wasn't getting up that she was fairly embarrassed by it.
"Hey Horse lady…" Her voice eventually rose from the floor again, "Is it fun having two bodies? Ive never seen anyone with two bodies."

Rhea was somewhat surprised by the wave of tiredness that swept over her when Narxus showed their group the room they were to call home for the next night. The beds were all rather large, she was pleased to see, realising that she had been worrying a little about whether her rather non-human form would be catered for. She trotted over to what seemed like a slightly larger bed to the left of the door and leant her halberd up against the wall in an easily reachable place. She figured that they were pretty safe here and that it would be the last night for a long time that she'd be able to sleep without her weapons on her person, and so unslung her bow and quiver from her back. She was just unbuckling her leather armour and arranging it beside her bed, leaving her in just a simple white shift that, though it didn't look it, was threaded with metal wire to give extra protection, when she heard the young werewolf's question. Stepping up into the bed and laying down on her side, Rhea considered the innocent query. Though she didn't want to launch into an explanation of how centaurs were not a hybrid of horse and man but a separate creature, with one body and not two, she struggled to thing of a shorter way to explain.
"If I were a shapeshifter, like you, able to transform between, say, a human form and a horse form, then I would have two bodies, and would be able to answer your question, Reia. But I have just one body, that which looks like a split between two to you, but is in fact just one form. You, as a werewolf, surely have more forms than I, as you can shift into two separate forms. I am stuck in this one. However, the way the centaur has evolved, to have the speed, agility and stamina of a horse-like creature as well as the intelligence and dexterity of a humanoid is one I find incredibly, well, fun, as you say. Galloping through the plains, feeling the wind rush past, targetting a lone hare in the grass with your bow, it is a good life, I think. Does that answer your question, little wolf?" she smiled, somewhat struck by affection for the wolfgirl.

The streets were dark now, the only light was the soft glow of candles from the houses and inns that lined either side of the street. To the untrained eye the streets were deserted, aside from a stray dog or two, but those that knew what to look for could spot the subtle shifting in the shadows that marked where a person stood. Arra was a less subtle than most of those left out on the streets at the moment. Riding down the center of the street at a quick trot she ignored how the sound of her mule's hooves echoed against the cobble stones. She had spent enough years working from the shadows to know that while the night was tense there was no immediate danger. So she could afford to concentrate on getting to her current destination with little outside interference. She was almost at the inn when her mule gave a loud snort and an angry toss of his head.
"Easy there Alexander. Just a bit further." Arra said softly patting her mount's neck. The mule gave another smaller snort but continued on without to much fuss. And sure enough they were not ten yards from the stable of the Flaming Dragon inn. Dismounting she gave an appreciative wince as her legs revolted against the sudden movement, sore and stiff as they were from spending nearly all day in the saddle. Heading around back of the inn she made quick work of stabling Alexander, the mule very relieved at not having to travel anymore for the day stood stock still allowing Arra to quickly untack him. After that was all done Arra pulled her cloak around her and made her ways towards the inn's front door. Pushing the door open she quickly stepped inside a shock of warm air chasing off the cold that had been clinging to her. Few people payed her any attention as most were to absorbed in their drinks, not to mention that she was one of the more boring figures to walk in that night. But the lack of attention suited her her fine and Arra kept her head low so as to hide her face in the cowl of her cloak. Walking straight up to the bar she sat down on one of the stools and carefully folded her arms across the smooth stone surface, still making sure to keep her face hidden in shadows.
"I need two pints. Something to banish the cold and deaden the senses. Like what you would drink with friends." At first Arra spoke in a low gruff voice, a guise to hide her identity for a bit longer, however at the last part she switched to her normal voice, lifting her head and giving Narxus a wide grin.

Reia was surprised when she was told that Rhea didn't have two bodies but just one and that she was actually closer to having multiple bodies. She laid on her back thinking some, holding her hand in front of her face shifting slowly through her forms before returning to the human one she found people react better to. She always thought of her different forms as one body…a blush formed across her cheeks as she realized that her question made it seem like she thought that Rhea was a human sewn onto a horse or something similar.
"Sorry." She squeaked as she slowly stood up and climbed onto the bed, her staff finding itself situated on the floor where she bounced to, she would grab it in the morning. "But yes. I also like hunting…though I prefer to hit things with my magic or my staff…bopping heads is fun." She giggled some as she thought about running after a deer, shifting between her forms to outmaneuver the creature, getting close enough then slamming her staff down and crushing the things skull. She had to stop herself from thinking further else she start drooling. "It must be nice not having to change forms to do all that." She hummed.

----

Narxus had just gotten back to his station at the bar when the door opened, he couldn't see under the persons cloak but he could tell that the person wasn't a regular. Their order was also peculiar, "I'm not completely sure you're old enough to partake of the Dwarven Ale, and you're definitely not old enough, or of the right race, for anything Draconain." He laughed as Arra revealed herself, "But your making yourself out to be quite the adventurer so I suppose that some Dwarven Ale wouldn't hurt." He poured two, one for her and one for himself. "So what brings you back? Planning on fighting another merchant in the morning? Though I suppose you could actually pay now."

"Ha! Old enough. I was old enough from the time I could first walk." Arra said cheekily although once handed the glass she only took a small gulp of the fiery liquid. While she might like to talk she was no fool and she knew that she had to keep her mind sharp, at least for the time being. She was about to answer Narxus's question when she was interupted by a loud and very annoyed voice.
"That is what I have been asking ever since she jumped on that old nag of hers dragging me along only to end up in this dump again." With a knowing and half amused smile Arra reached down and picked up Nar from where he had been dangling, tied to her belt. The skull gave an angry click of it's teeth but Arra only smiled and after placing Nar on the counter she turned back to Narxus.
"Nice to know that Nar remembers this place so fondly." Immediately Nar let out of stream of complaints and denials obviously missing the sarcasm in Arra's voice. In response Arra just took a big gulp of ale before promptly dropping Nar in the glass, completely ignoring his protests.
"It was a long day, he is just grumpy that I choose to outrun a group of dragon bandits that we encountered instead of staying and fighting." She said indicating a healing cut on her cheek no longer than her finger and only slightly deeper than a paper cut.
"And to answer your question while a good fight might be more fun at this point, I'm back because of this." Reaching into her coat she pulled out a neatly folded sheet of paper. Spreading it out between her fingers and using her palms to smooth some of the creases she handed the paper to Narxus. It would take him only a second or two to recognize one of his own recruitment signs. "I would tell you that you are completely mental if it was not for the fact that I have seen two bodies myself." She reached over and was about to take another drink of ale but, a few angry bubbles from Nar persuaded her rethink that decision. "And since I know your are not going to be all that picky with who you are sending off on this grand adventure I thought I might tag along, see if I couldn't keep everyone out of trouble." Here she paused and looked around before saying. "That is if you actually have any volunteers, can't tell if it has been a slow day or a busy one." Taking one more glance around she ended with her dark eye gaze on Narxus waiting for his response.

Narxus gave an uncomfortable growl at the skull, though he never did seem disturbed at the skull itself so it was probable that it was Nar himself that made Narxus uncomfortable, though to be fair traveling with a demon summoner probably would make anyone uncomfortable around demons.
Once the skull was...disposed of and the paper placed neatly into his hands Narxus smiled, though he didn't actually look at the thing, "No, I'm never picky, if I could find her I'd send my daughter back into there with the group I'm sending now." He stretched some before taking a rather long drink, long enough that the glass was empty before he put it down and continued, "Its been fairly busy today, I've got a guaranteed group and a...possible group lined up, they are resting for tomorrow right now, though if you dont mind staying up abit longer I would like to know about those two bodies you found. If your wondering about payment...you'll no longer owe me anything, and I'll even pay you some extra...as danger pay."

"A possible and confirmed, well aren't we spoiled." Said Arra rasing one eyebrow. Stretching she thought about how the idea of rest sounded very nice, her muscles were stiff from her day in the saddle and she was mentally tired from both her fight with the stray group of bandits she had encountered, and constantly thinking over the outcomes of this journey. But, she didn't mind saying up a little while longer to chew the fat, so to speak, with Narxus.
"There is not much to say about them, the first was down at the base of Caus, a man, probably another hunter, couldn't have been more than fourty by the look of him. I was doing a little hunting there when I found the body, it was left leaning up against a tree. The second one was probably half way between here and Fasau, a female, no older than thirty. Both were missing most of their blood the first one however had some other wounds. Claw marks on his forearms, as well as his collar bones, and the space around the bite was bruised." Here Arra stopped her face dark and unyeilding, however after a moment she seemed to shake off whatever visions had haunted her and she continued. "It looked to be a vampire but there was just something, I don't know kind of odd about the bodies." Arra broke off for a second time to give a shrug and to cast Narxus a curious look.
"Anyways. On a cheerier note, after this little adventure I will be glad to call us both even." Arra said with a wink. "To be honest buisness has been a bit slow lately so a bit of extra coin can never go amiss."

"Well the first body may have been done by Ecra. As for the second body, that was probably either Meridor or his daughter, the other vampires of the land don't seem to kill their prey." Narxus laughed some as if not just talking about two dead bodies. "I'm surprised that an adventurer such as yourself cant find a job, typically every city has a posting of some schmuck like myself not wanting to deal with their own problems and willing to pay another to do it."

The pair would remain up talking, eventually the patrons grumbling as they stumbled out or to their rooms, guided by the bar maids or Narxus himself. Arra would be shown her own room when she wished to sleep.

Morning was actually surprisingly easy to spot in the tavern despite the smaller windows. These seemed to have been perfectly placed so that the light went from the windows and targeted the beds where the peoples heads would be, though in cases like Rhea who had an atypical body, or Reia who apparently rolled in her sleep as she was now sleeping with only her legs on the bed rest of her was on the floor hugging her staff. In those cases the light to the face didn't really act as a good alarm, nor did it if people just covered their faces.
When they woke up, be it from the sun, or from Narxus entering their rooms and telling them that the morning has come, whichever one they would be welcome to wake fully up with a meal then they could start off. During this time Narxus would introduce Arra to the group, saying that she would also be traveling with them, he would also give them his map, folded neatly and offered to the first person who took it...hopefully that person wouldn't lose it.

Sai was definitly better looking, if a lot more annoying, in the morning with every single stall open for business. All of the owners trying to hawk their wears on anyone who looked like they had money, people shoving others out of the way to get to their favorite store. Money purses were hidden or held tight for fear that one of the urchins would relieve a sir or madam of it.

The adventuring group could start off toward the forest, or they could get distracted by the stalls, namely the large stall at the end of the street which had a thin almost skeletal looking man sitting there selling weapons, armor, even potions. "Come come, all adventurers require my wares. They could save your life. Injured, poisoned, cursed? I have a potion for that. Scared an arrow will pierce your mighty heart? My armors were forged by the dwarves themselves. Weapon dull and rusting? My weapons are the sharpest in the land." He didn't get up, though to be fair he looked like he would break all his bones if he so much as sneezed. He just remained sitting there, watching the group, attempting to goad them over to look at his wares.

Rhea trotted out into the sunshine, happy to be back outside, even if it was crammed with people rushing around, bartering and arguing and advertising. Not quite her thing. A man behind a stall at the end of the street was also yelling about his wares, and this caught Rhea's attention. She wasn't sure why, but she made her way through the crowd towards him. He leapt on her interest immediately.
"Ah, a proud and fine centaur warrioress! A keen archer I see too - would some of these most excellent bowstrings catch your eye, perhaps? Why, I assure you, this one is pure plaited mermaid hair, all the way from the South coast! Imbued with magics to help your arrow fly true, that's why the added price, but it's truly worth it I assure you! Very reasonable indeed when you consider it's ability! Perhaps a new whetstone to help sharpen that fine blade of yours? Or a strong breast plate - dwarven-made I tell you - to protect that proud heart? Or... hmm, you look like an intelligent young lady, how about a scroll or two? I have the histories of all the land here, or runic spells to help you on your quest, perhaps it is a clue or two you're after, hey?" Rhea had been leisurely browsing the items on the stall, only half listening to the man's inane chatter, but that caught her attention.
"What are you suggesting?" she asked suspiciously, interested but concerned that this man was having her on. What could he know of their quest, unless Narxus had been open with it in the marketplace, which Rhea found hard to believe.
"Oh don't narrow your eyes that way my girl, it is nothing as secret as you think. Merely a painting I have had for a long time.... Of the-" he lowered his voice, and Rhea saw the quickly-hidden fear in his eyes. "-the vampire lord, Meridor." He moved a few items about, revealing a small square painting in an ornate golden frame, only a hands breadth across. Meridor's soulless eyes bored into Rhea's own, though she was seized with the certainty it was not just a painting.
"I'll take it." she said softly, and the man looked at her, disbelief and fear showing in his eyes before finally relief. Rhea figured he had been trying to get rid of the thing for a long time, and wondered where he had procured it from. She also wondered if it was even worth her time as she handed over the gold for it. As soon as she touched it, however, she felt a rush of coldness come over her. Cursed. She quickly purchased a small velvet pouch to put it in so her skin didn't touch it and a pair of thick gloves. She would inspect the thing later - perhaps it would have clues to help her group defeat Meridor for good this time. Looking over the stall again, Rhea bought another spare bowstring - though not one supposedly made of mermaid hair, for she had heard of the mischeviousness of the race and felt it was better to rely on her own skill, as well as a enchanted parchment bordered with runes that the man promised would allow her to communicate with one she wished for a short amount of time just once, a history scroll of the land that she thought might hold some further clues or information and a small set of engraved panpipes, simply for nostalgia's sake.
Walking back over to her ragtag group and stowing away her new purchases - being careful to store the small painting as safety as possible - she spoke.
"Is anyone else interested in browsing the market or shall we make a start on our long jouney?" she smiled at her fellow heroes to be, awaiting their individual decisions.

Reia clutched her staff in both hands as she moved through the streets, doing her best to avoid bumping into people. Eventually she opted that the safest place was close to Rhea as people tended to get out of the way of horses, which luckily included the centaur. She didn't overly trust the merchant that Rhea was buying from, but she didn't say anything about it, when they started to leave Reia gave a disappointed whine at the dwindling nature of their group, they hadn't even set off yet. "All I'll need is my staff, which I have." Reia stated.

The small group would set off, making their way toward the mysteries of the forest. Now the map would state, in rather crude handwriting, that 'the trees lie' and to 'do your best to always walk perfectly north'. Something that would seem easy, however once the forest was in view it became clear what it meant, each of the trees seemed to be slowly moving, a few even looked to be uprooting themselves and re-planting in a completely new location. Which probably explained why the original group used fire to get through the forest, though E'mun probably wouldn't like more people trying to burn down his forest.

Status
Not open for further replies.