humpty dumpty (may become a debate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. So we're all clear now? Alright. B^)

Neat alrighty. But yeah it was probably some sort of Eggman.
1391895938502.gif

"Here comes the candle to light you to bed, here comes the axeman to chop off your head."

This was a legitimate nursery rhyme in a book of them I used to have. I don't think I have it anymore (and I don't remember the name) but...yeah. Who thought that was a good idea, again?
Oranges and Lemons

Oranges and lemons,
Say the bells of St. Clement's.

You owe me five farthings,
Say the bells of St. Martin's.

When will you pay me?
Say the bells of Old Bailey.

When I grow rich,
Say the bells of Shoreditch.

When will that be?
Say the bells of Stepney.

I do not know,
Says the great bell of Bow.

Here comes a candle to light you to bed,
And here comes a chopper to chop off your head!
Chip chop Chip chop the last man is dead

• Thank You
Reactions: lostfaith
Most all rhymes are pretty dark in origin.

Ring around the rosy a pocketful of posies, ashes, ashes, we all fall down.

It's talking about the black death.

why do we have nursery rhymes and why tell them to kids.
Why do Disney movies feature horrible parental slaughter? Why does Little Red get raped and killed at the end of Red Riding Hood? Because kids have to deal with some real tough shit when they grow up. So why not sneak some deep moral lessons into their fairy tales so they might have a chance at coping with it a little better when happens in the real world?

Other than that reason, the only way I can retort is "why do humans like music?"

Yes, a very concerning subject. The thing is, nursery rhymes tend to have a dark, original meaning. Take 'A ring a ring o' roses' for example.

The invariable sneezing and falling down in modern English versions have given would-be origin finders the opportunity to say that the rhyme dates back to the Great Plague. A rosy rash, they allege, was a symptom of the plague, and posies of herbs were carried as protection and to ward off the smell of the disease. Sneezing or coughing was a final fatal symptom, and "all fall down" was exactly what happened.

There. Explained. It was a mortar that... became... an egg.

Humty Dumpty was the earliest known draft of Evangelion.

Yes, as previously said, most nursery rhymes have a dark origin.

Mary Mary quite contrary
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockle shells
And pretty maids all lined up in a row.

This rhyme was about Queen Mary who had a itch for torture. The garden is said to refer to the graveyard of all the people she had tortured and killed. Others say it refers to her womb as she was said to be baron. Silver bells and cockle shells were torture devices. And the maids are said to be all the miscarriages she had all lined up in the grave. Some say maids refers to the guillotine. Called "Maiden," but shortened to "Maid" in the rhyme.

Either way it's disturbing.

Humpty Dumpty fell defending the Wall.

And now his watch has ended.

The Seven Kingdoms are safer because of him.

Reactions: Jorick
This is rather interesting.

It addressees the mortar issue as well as another theory but largely suggests that at heart, the rhyme was intended to be a riddle.

Status
Not open for further replies.