humpty dumpty (may become a debate)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Amy_the_wolf

Original poster
the classic nursery rhyme humpty dumpty ...

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall;
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

is surprisingly dark for a nursery rhyme.

not once is it mentioned that humpty is a egg so he is most likely a human.
so why if you search the rhyme humpty depicted as a egg.
even if he was a egg he still dies at the end.

so why do we see him as a egg maybe to make the story less disturbing.

why do we have nursery rhymes and why tell them to kids.
i have no clue all i know is that they can have hidden meanings like ring a ring a rose what is about the black death.

why am i posting this...

because it is 5 in the morning and yer.

Reactions: foodforpigs
Uhhh... what?

"Here comes the candle to light you to bed, here comes the axeman to chop off your head."

This was a legitimate nursery rhyme in a book of them I used to have. I don't think I have it anymore (and I don't remember the name) but...yeah. Who thought that was a good idea, again?

I can only guess that making dark rhymes and the like were easy ways to entertain people of history and—in the case of the black plague—took the edge off of the events of the time and helped them stay sane.

Oh and people in the Age of Enlightenment/Romantic period were fucked up.

edit: I messed up that time period like three times.
Also, the culture of the time was different. What they saw as humorous is very different from what we see as humorous (most people, anyway; I personally like dark humor).

"Here comes the candle to light you to bed, here comes the axeman to chop off your head."

This was a legitimate nursery rhyme in a book of them I used to have. I don't think I have it anymore (and I don't remember the name) but...yeah. Who thought that was a good idea, again?
true

I can only guess that making dark rhymes and the like were easy ways to entertain people of history and—in the case of the black plague—took the edge off of the events of the time and helped them stay sane.

Oh and people in the Age of Enlightenment/Romantic period were fucked up.

edit: I messed up that time period like three times.
Also, the culture of the time was different. What they saw as humorous is very different from what we see as humorous (most people, anyway; I personally like dark humor).
same with the dark humor and true that but i still dont get why a egg?

the classic nursery rhyme humpty dumpty ...

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall;
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.

is surprisingly dark for a nursery rhyme.

not once is it mentioned that humpty is a egg so he is most likely a human.
so why if you search the rhyme humpty depicted as a egg.
even if he was a egg he still dies at the end.

so why do we see him as a egg maybe to make the story less disturbing.

why do we have nursery rhymes and why tell them to kids.
i have no clue all i know is that they can have hidden meanings like ring a ring a rose what is about the black death.

why am i posting this...

because it is 5 in the morning and yer.
Not once in the course of history is it mentioned that there were no giant sapient eggs during the time the rhyme was written, so why are you assuming he was most likely a human?

same with the dark humor and true that but i still dont get why a egg?
Because we're not as metal as they were. To protect the impressionable chilluns, nursery rhymes had to be made PG.

Not once in the course of history is it mentioned that there were no giant sapient eggs during the time the rhyme was written, so why are you assuming he was most likely a human?
-face palms-

this is my point of view and i see where you are coming from but in my view he is most likely human not a sapient egg.

Just trying to lighten up the mood here.
Same. I was making a joke by saying to be realistic, when my other posts were discussing the possibility that the poem was based off of a real live sapient egg.

Status
Not open for further replies.