How to write a good Intro?

K

KthuluKhild

Original poster
One difficult part for me in creating roleplays is making an attention getting yet informative intro for it. Can anybody give any tips or a tutorial on how to write a good one with both of those traits?

“No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood so for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone.”

General statement about the themes of the story, ominous setup. Vague. Keeps reader interest through mystery.

" The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door..."

Simple beginning that establishes the entire setting. Conflict the immediate next sentence.

I'd look at general great book intros.

You want a statement that, when read, draws in the reader either through the establishing of the main conflict or have it written in such a way they'd want to keep reading to figure out what the conflict is. I'd go with the former just because a instantly engaging thing is going to draw the attention of most roleplayers more than subtlety. Plus it's instantly informative.